Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So I wanted to share my Hawaii ride. It was really damn awesome. I've never done one extended climb that long, I essentially went from sea level to 3500 feet in 15 miles, then down 2,700 in one fell swoop (4 miles) and up another 2,300ish from there in 6 or so miles. That last climb was extremely tough but I was happy I was able to :doit: Most of the ride was gravy from there, going along a mostly flat ridge and then getting to descend for over an hour straight which was just awesome. The bike was a rented Specialized Allez Claris Pov-Spec which did surprisingly well. I can't wait to do something along these lines again!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5476377794

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That Allez Claris is basically the same as my bike. Nothing :wrong: with it at all. Shifting is IMO better than my SRAM Force was and better than the wife's 105 5700 setup, plus 8 speed parts are cheap.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:04 pm That Allez Claris is basically the same as my bike. Nothing :wrong: with it at all. Shifting is IMO better than my SRAM Force was and better than the wife's 105 5700 setup, plus 8 speed parts are cheap.
Yeah I enjoyed it. It was a ride that necessitates good gearing more than anything I do around here and yet it was totally fine for everything. I am just continually amused by how much emphasis is put on equipment in cycling when it sort of doesn't matter (within reason). It shifted about the same as my 105 setup.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The raw aluminum in the logo is definitely a cool touch.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Trek has been on fire with paint jobs lately. Love it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 pm Trek has been on fire with paint jobs lately. Love it.
Thanks dude. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:45 pm Image

The raw aluminum in the logo is definitely a cool touch.
NBD! Looks fantastic man, I’m so stoked for you! Hope you can get out for a nice ride this weekend.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:33 amNBD! Looks fantastic man, I’m so stoked for you! Hope you can get out for a nice ride this weekend.
Thanks Dan. Hoping to get it out today during the kids’ nap time. Fingers crossed!
troyguitar

Looking good, now you need some rainbow bottle cages.

So is that a 56cm H2?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:05 pm Looking good, now you need some rainbow bottle cages.

So is that a 56cm H2?
Ha I went boring and bought a black one for now, that's really all the shop had. 56cm H2 indeed.

I was just about to head out and the second we got my son down for his nap the twins woke up. :sigh: This is my life.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Maiden voyage on the Emonda is in the books, and damn it's a nice ride. Maybe the shop had the tires pumped way up, but I thought the ride at 100 up front and 105 in the back was actually not bad. I'm excited to try some tubeless 28s, it'll be downright cushy. :lol: I didn't have my phone so no Strava info, but I was battling the wind most of the way so it probably would've been pretty slow anyway. Good news is I was able to get into the drops for the majority of the ride to try to stay out of that wind as much as possible and was totally comfortable.

:csb:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:56 am Maiden voyage on the Emonda is in the books, and damn it's a nice ride. Maybe the shop had the tires pumped way up, but I thought the ride at 100 up front and 105 in the back was actually not bad. I'm excited to try some tubeless 28s, it'll be downright cushy. :lol: I didn't have my phone so no Strava info, but I was battling the wind most of the way so it probably would've been pretty slow anyway. Good news is I was able to get into the drops for the majority of the ride to try to stay out of that wind as much as possible and was totally comfortable.

:fuckyeah:

In4more rides/pics/Stravaing.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:Maiden voyage on the Emonda is in the books, and damn it's a nice ride. Maybe the shop had the tires pumped way up, but I thought the ride at 100 up front and 105 in the back was actually not bad. I'm excited to try some tubeless 28s, it'll be downright cushy. Image I didn't have my phone so no Strava info, but I was battling the wind most of the way so it probably would've been pretty slow anyway. Good news is I was able to get into the drops for the majority of the ride to try to stay out of that wind as much as possible and was totally comfortable.

:nice:

I suspect that you'll be a lot more comfortable than me in general, I'm a princess. (and my neighborhood is also paved with bricks...)

What tarz are on there stock?

My domane came with super heavy tubed 28mm all-weather tarz that made the bike feel really slow/heavy. I hated those things.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:03 pm:nice:

I suspect that you'll be a lot more comfortable than me in general, I'm a princess. (and my neighborhood is also paved with bricks...)

What tarz are on there stock?

My domane came with super heavy tubed 28mm all-weather tarz that made the bike feel really slow/heavy. I hated those things.
They’re 25c Bontrager R1s. They seem okay, honestly, but I’ve also never ridden on a high-end road tire.

Just placed my order for a pair of tubeless 28c R3s, though. That plus some lights are really the only changes I have planned for now.
Last edited by coogles on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:59 am:fuckyeah:

In4more rides/pics/Stravaing.
Pics? If you like suburbia I’ll post some McMansion photos, otherwise there’s not much to see around here. :lol: I can head over the reservoir and get a few pics from the main bridge that crosses over it, but it's really not that great, there's currently no public access beach or park anywhere on water. The city just broke ground on it this spring, but it won't be open until next year.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:00 am:fuckyeah:

You’re gonna love tubeless 28s. Full :mindblown:
I’ll be visiting the fam in Fort Wayne this weekend and a shop up there has/had a pair of 28c TLR R3s. Will be picking them up while we’re up there. Then comes the adventure of actually trying to install them. :lol:

The ride looks awesome, despite the heat. I need to find some people to ride with and get out for something like that; actually put the Emonda to good use.
Last edited by coogles on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice work dude!

I had the same goal and let myself down in February :disappoint:

Man though, the weather that month was just :poop:

My June was a bit lighter in riding as well due to travel and other :bs: , but I certainly got a memorable metric in in Hawaii. Good work getting shit done! I love that last pic.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:00 am:fuckyeah:

You’re gonna love tubeless 28s. Full :mindblown:
I’ll be visiting the fam in Fort Wayne this weekend and a shop up there has/had a pair of 28c TLR R3s. Will be picking them up while we’re up there. Then comes the adventure of actually trying to install them. :lol:
I put off going tubeless on the mountain bike forever due to being scared of it for whatever reason. I went with Stan's stuff and it really wasn't bad at all, I was able to seat them with a 12V compressor for Beep Beep :225:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 am I put off going tubeless on the mountain bike forever due to being scared of it for whatever reason. I went with Stan's stuff and it really wasn't bad at all, I was able to seat them with a 12V compressor for Beep Beep :225:
:notbad:

I do have a real air compressor, so hopefully I'll be okay. The rims are supposedly tubeless ready, I assume that means they don't need to be taped and the stems are tubeless compatible? No idea how this shit works.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:22 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 am I put off going tubeless on the mountain bike forever due to being scared of it for whatever reason. I went with Stan's stuff and it really wasn't bad at all, I was able to seat them with a 12V compressor for Beep Beep :225:
:notbad:

I do have a real air compressor, so hopefully I'll be okay. The rims are supposedly tubeless ready, I assume that means they don't need to be taped and the stems are tubeless compatible? No idea how this shit works.
I think so. My MTB wheels were as well, I still did a layer of Stan's tape for good measure. It's been months now with no issues :notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:26 am I think so. My MTB wheels were as well, I still did a layer of Stan's tape for good measure. It's been months now with no issues :notbad:
The Bontrager Affinity rims on the bike appear to have holes for the spokes, so they'll need tape it seems. I'll ask the shop if I'll need stems too when I pick up the tires.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:34 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:26 am I think so. My MTB wheels were as well, I still did a layer of Stan's tape for good measure. It's been months now with no issues :notbad:
The Bontrager Affinity rims on the bike appear to have holes for the spokes, so they'll need tape it seems. I'll ask the shop if I'll need stems too when I pick up the tires.
You will need stems, yeah. They shouldn't run more than $20 or so.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
Bontrager sells a rubber rim strip that is a direct fit, but IMO the tape makes tire installs easier because it's thinner. Fighting the tire over an effectively larger diameter rim might suck.

You want tape that is 4-5mm wider than your inner rim width.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:57 am Bontrager sells a rubber rim strip that is a direct fit, but IMO the tape makes tire installs easier because it's thinner. Fighting the tire over an effectively larger diameter rim might suck.

You want tape that is 4-5mm wider than your inner rim width.
:like:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Today was the last day to get the miles in - Wednesdays I work sunrise to sunset on the mower. We finished mowing around 3, came home, showered, and hit the road around 4:30, adding some miles en-route to the Tuesday night group ride a couple towns over.

I did it, though, 95 degree heat and all. But fuck did it hurt. Especially since I had done a 35 mile/3500 foot ride the day before in the heat. Both bottles were bone dry when I rolled back into the driveway tonight.
Are you a camel?

2 bottles gets me maybe 2 hours in good weather at sloth pace. Hot weather and going faster than fucking hell I would need 6-8 bottles for a 3-4 hr ride. :doomed: