Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:50 pm Peloton is getting delivered November 16. :fuckyeah:
:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm My aluminium bike on tubeless 40s at 35 psi is painfully uncomfortable. :thisisfine:
Some frames are harsher than others. With tires that low, the frame itself shouldn't really make much of an impact.

Do you have a carbon fiber seatpost? Where is the pain now? Sorry I haven't been checking in to this thread lately.
We've missed you. In4bikeshit.

Had a 100KM ride planned today, skipping due to ankle, I guess I won't get one in in September :sad:

Hopefully Monday I can ride. I will take the :doge: to the :doge: park instead.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm My aluminium bike on tubeless 40s at 35 psi is painfully uncomfortable. :thisisfine:
Some frames are harsher than others. With tires that low, the frame itself shouldn't really make much of an impact.

Do you have a carbon fiber seatpost? Where is the pain now? Sorry I haven't been checking in to this thread lately.
Yeah the flimsy chinesium carbon seatpost helps a little, but I still have significant pain within 15-20 minutes of riding in basically my whole torso from the lower back up to the neck.

I tried riding for 85 minutes on Monday, after doing ~60 minutes almost every day for 2 weeks, and that absolutely wrecked me for the whole week. Over an hour on a bike kills me.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah the flimsy chinesium carbon seatpost helps a little, but I still have significant pain within 15-20 minutes of riding in basically my whole torso from the lower back up to the neck.

I tried riding for 85 minutes on Monday, after doing ~60 minutes almost every day for 2 weeks, and that absolutely wrecked me for the whole week. Over an hour on a bike kills me.
That hockey injury coming back huh?

Yeah man that blows. I get lower back pain but it takes a few hours. You can try moving around on the saddle a bit as you ride, or stand up and pedal every once in a while to stretch yourself out.

Shoulders I tend to attribute to how much of a death grip you have on the bars, or hand placement in general. If the bars are too far forward that can stretch your arms fully and lock them which causes shoulder pain for sure.

You can also help flexibility by stretching throughout the day or a 15 minute morning yoga routine.

Wish there was an easy button for you dude. 😕
Johnny_P

@troy also how do your legs / knees feel? Any pain as your knee cycles through the motion? If not, you could try pushing your saddle a bit more forward to relieve some of the shoulder pressure. Try like 5-10mm or so at a time. If knee pain shows up push the saddle backwards a bit.

The fitting “rules” don’t really apply to everyone across the board. Especially if you have a prior injury or something that limits mobility in some way.
Johnny_P

My Cervelo gave me back pain within an hour. My all city takes like 4 hr. It’s all down to saddle and bar placement. The all city is more upright with a shorter effective forward reach than the Cervelo had. As I’m getting older I’m preferring a more upright position instead of the racy Slammed stem position. I’m not nearly as stretched out on this bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm My Cervelo gave me back pain within an hour. My all city takes like 4 hr. It’s all down to saddle and bar placement. The all city is more upright with a shorter effective forward reach than the Cervelo had. As I’m getting older I’m preferring a more upright position instead of the racy Slammed stem position. I’m not nearly as stretched out on this bike.
Yeah I find a little more comfort actually makes me faster too, despite being less aero, having little/no pain makes me ride better and overcome the aero losses.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Picked up a QuadLock that arrived yesterday. I’m looking forward to being able to see maps on my rides.

Ankle doesn’t hurt much today, still somewhat swelled up but it’s not like it was Friday. I may try a ride tomorrow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hell yeah, [user not found], that looks like an amazing ride!

I was hoping to get back in the saddle today, perhaps tomorrow, the ankle is still swollen up. I want to make sure I'm recovered this weekend, so trying to stay conservative :sad:

Question for y'all, I have Shimano M506 (Diore from 2016) brakes on my Orbea. I am not finding pads anywhere that list being compatible with these, but most of the pads look to be identical in shape... am I correct in assuming most of Shimano is the same for brake pads?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That's some beautiful scenery, Zil. :like:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:50 am
Johnny_P wrote:My Cervelo gave me back pain within an hour. My all city takes like 4 hr. It’s all down to saddle and bar placement. The all city is more upright with a shorter effective forward reach than the Cervelo had. As I’m getting older I’m preferring a more upright position instead of the racy Slammed stem position. I’m not nearly as stretched out on this bike.
Frame compliance/rode quality does have an effect as well. The Cervelo is definitely harsher than the AC.
The Cervelo frame had more deflection as you hit a bump. That makes sense as this steel bike is built for off road use and the road bike isn’t. The reason the AC rides smoother is because it’s on tires with 3x the volume. That same bump on the AC is entirely soaked up by the massive low pressure tires.

Vibration reduction wise I have no clue. They’re probably about the same there.

But make a bike with the same deflection characteristics as the Cervelo but with the massive tires of the AC and you’d have a magic carpet. Albeit one that I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking on the terrain that I normally ride which is basically mountain bike trails.

Al I know is I’m pretty done with bikes that only take 23s. The roads are too shit around here for that.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 am Hell yeah, [user not found], that looks like an amazing ride!

I was hoping to get back in the saddle today, perhaps tomorrow, the ankle is still swollen up. I want to make sure I'm recovered this weekend, so trying to stay conservative :sad:

Question for y'all, I have Shimano M506 (Diore from 2016) brakes on my Orbea. I am not finding pads anywhere that list being compatible with these, but most of the pads look to be identical in shape... am I correct in assuming most of Shimano is the same for brake pads?
I think they all use same pad shape. SLX or XT level might get you cooling fins which can be helpful.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 am Hell yeah, [user not found], that looks like an amazing ride!

I think they all use same pad shape. SLX or XT level might get you cooling fins which can be helpful.
Thanks, y'all. I am a pretty shit MTBer so I doubt extra brake cooling would really come into play much, but I'll take a lookskie.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks, y'all. I am a pretty shit MTBer so I doubt extra brake cooling would really come into play much, but I'll take a lookskie.
If you notice them howling on longer descents, or the levers getting a little mushy, the fins will help. Otherwise eh.
Johnny_P

@[user not found] how you liking the crabon hoops now that you've had them for a minute? Stans Avion?
Johnny_P

Been putting off some purchases due to no job status. Time to start chipping away at them.

1. New bibs. I threw out 2 sets this year, replaced with 1 set from Black Bibs that I don't like... Suggestions? I was thinking of trying out La Passione if they have a sale.
2. Sunglasses. Need something that's good for low light conditions. I'm never just road riding, and even if I am, all the road riding I do is in the shade anyway. A rose/gold lens is probably best, or something interchangeable that comes with clears to throw in for night rides.
3. New tires. The Nano's are basically done. 700x40 ish size desired, meaty tread for MTB routes but a good center ridge to keep road riding fast. Teravail Rutland?
4. Helmet. My Specialized helmet is now about 3 years old. I'd like something with MIPS and more temple protection. POC Omne? Sweet Protection Falconer?
5. Stretch goal of some decent road wheels for the All City. Quick release disc.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:06 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am These look the same to me... https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-B01S- ... _OEALw_wcB
I’m pretty sure those are the right pads, same as my Orbea. I’ve got a fresh set in the bike stash ready to go on.
Great pics as always Z. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Also in :fullretard: news the rear derailleur issue on the Havnoonian was solved by tighening the shift lever. :ban: :gay:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:04 pm Been putting off some purchases due to no job status. Time to start chipping away at them.

1. New bibs. I threw out 2 sets this year, replaced with 1 set from Black Bibs that I don't like... Suggestions? I was thinking of trying out La Passione if they have a sale.
2. Sunglasses. Need something that's good for low light conditions. I'm never just road riding, and even if I am, all the road riding I do is in the shade anyway. A rose/gold lens is probably best, or something interchangeable that comes with clears to throw in for night rides.
3. New tires. The Nano's are basically done. 700x40 ish size desired, meaty tread for MTB routes but a good center ridge to keep road riding fast. Teravail Rutland?
4. Helmet. My Specialized helmet is now about 3 years old. I'd like something with MIPS and more temple protection. POC Omne? Sweet Protection Falconer?
5. Stretch goal of some decent road wheels for the All City. Quick release disc.
I can't help with most of this... but :mahtroy: got the Tifosi photochromic glasses which seem cool for the lower lighting rides you're doing. I kind of want to get some, but they're ugly :notsure: I hate the way cycling glasses look.

Helmet wise - I have a POC helmet and regret that purchase quite a bit. It was around $200 which is a lot, and honestly I was much comfier in my Giro helmet that I had previously (and was $50). The POC padding falls out constantly and never stays in place while it's on my helmet and it's rather aggravating when none of the cheapo helmets I've ever owned have done that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:24 pm Also in :fullretard: news the rear derailleur issue on the Havnoonian was solved by tighening the shift lever. :ban: :gay:
:iono: there is certainly a learning curve to this bike stuff. I have invested many hours into it so far and am still pretty novice spec with bike maintenance.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:04 pm Been putting off some purchases due to no job status. Time to start chipping away at them.

I have 2 Cuore kits that I've been very happy with - they're the Blacklist kits I ride in 90% of the time. Comfiest bibs I have currently (I also have some Castelli bibs that are OK).

Sunglasses, I just bought a pair of Roka SL-1s and absolutely love them. They're a tiny bit on the too dark side, but they do have lenses you can interchange. Unfortunately only comes with one lens to start. But not having any frame on the top or bottom is :tits: - I should've gotten them sooner.

Tires, I've got 38c Ramblers on the Sacklist for gRaVeL and enjoy them quite a bit for gravel and road, and I'm a Maxxis die-hard anymore. Conti non-road tires are :flaccid: and leak sealant everywhere. Check out the new Ravager: https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-545-139-ravager - looks to be right up your alley.

Helmet, that's up to you. I actually like SpecialEd helmets, but the Giro I have now with MIPS is very comfortable as well, it just doesn't look as good.

And wheels, just cruise eBay for deals. I find bike stuff on there all the time.
How slow is the rambler vs a road-ish tire?

If I can ever ride a fucking bicycle then I assume I'm going to want something treaded for snow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I had my first ride this morning since the ankle sprain or whatever it was. Some slight discomfort when pivoting that foot to unclip but it otherwise felt pretty good. I just did a 14 miler on the greenway, so it was pretty easy, but feeling happy to be back at it, I'll try a longer ride tomorrow. Icing down my ankle now just to be safe and avoid any further swelling.

The wife's spin bike arrived as well, I guess I'll assemble that tonight, should be cool to have around in the event of rain or other shit weather.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 am Well, I had my first ride this morning since the ankle sprain or whatever it was. Some slight discomfort when pivoting that foot to unclip but it otherwise felt pretty good. I just did a 14 miler on the greenway, so it was pretty easy, but feeling happy to be back at it, I'll try a longer ride tomorrow. Icing down my ankle now just to be safe and avoid any further swelling.

The wife's spin bike arrived as well, I guess I'll assemble that tonight, should be cool to have around in the event of rain or other shit weather.
Nice! Glad it wasn't too bad. :like:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:42 am Well, I had my first ride this morning since the ankle sprain or whatever it was. Some slight discomfort when pivoting that foot to unclip but it otherwise felt pretty good. I just did a 14 miler on the greenway, so it was pretty easy, but feeling happy to be back at it, I'll try a longer ride tomorrow. Icing down my ankle now just to be safe and avoid any further swelling.

Ice is good immediately after an injury, but beyond that you want to use heat to promote blood flow to the area. Ice will restrict it and not let your healing inflammation processes occur.