Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm haha what you call a bailout gear I call a climbing gear... We'll see how it goes whenever I get out there, but at least last year I was in my absolute lowest 30/32 gear huffing and puffing at 170+ bpm heart rate trying to make it up the hill to get back home. We're near the top of the hill on the South side of town, maybe going further south would indeed lead to finishing on a downhill of sorts though? I've never really been near that radio tower for example. We pretty much live at the school:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frede ... 77.0631675
Higman Rd, pass the power line cutout, and there's a road on the right to get to the tower. It looks like a few people have done it on Strava. I bet there is a view up there. Could be a nice reward for climbing the hill. Bring a beer with you.

Looks like it's all gravel so go as slow as you want, you won't get run over.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm haha what you call a bailout gear I call a climbing gear... We'll see how it goes whenever I get out there, but at least last year I was in my absolute lowest 30/32 gear huffing and puffing at 170+ bpm heart rate trying to make it up the hill to get back home. We're near the top of the hill on the South side of town, maybe going further south would indeed lead to finishing on a downhill of sorts though? I've never really been near that radio tower for example. We pretty much live at the school:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frede ... 77.0631675
Higman Rd, pass the power line cutout, and there's a road on the right to get to the tower. It looks like a few people have done it on Strava. I bet there is a view up there. Could be a nice reward for climbing the hill. Bring a beer with you.

:notbad:

When I can actually ride for any length of time I'll have to check out where other strava users have gone. Definitely need to BYOB and picnic or whatever on any rides around here. :foreveralone:

Is it generally a thing though that you guys ride at super low intensity for the vast majority of the time in order to be able to go for so long? Obviously not counting [user not found] who can run at 200 bpm for 200 hours straight.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:57 pm

:notbad:

When I can actually ride for any length of time I'll have to check out where other strava users have gone. Definitely need to BYOB and picnic or whatever on any rides around here. :foreveralone:

Is it generally a thing though that you guys ride at super low intensity for the vast majority of the time in order to be able to go for so long? Obviously not counting [user not found] who can run at 200 bpm for 200 hours straight.
Yeah the majority of the time I’m just chillin.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm Also, eBikes are great for commuting, great if you're older or disabled, but if you're able bodied, :gtfo: and get a real bike you pelodoper.
I’d consider one if I were buying just as a commuter or kid hauler.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:28 pm Yeah those exist, just gotta be prepared for a 2+ hour ride with a fuck ton of hills. Maybe eventually, can't do that now at any pace.
Only way to start is to start. Find a hill, do some hill repeats. Real world efforts > trainer efforts all day every day. The trainer is a great tool, but it doesn't ever 100% replace real riding.

What's the speed limit on Powderhouse Road, south of Corning? 1.4 mile climb, average 7% grade. Climb it until you can't, turn around and head back down. Rinse and repeat.

https://www.strava.com/segments/3775344
45-55 mph with low visibility and no shoulders, like most roads out here. :thisisfine:

I thought I had already started :doe: - I ride the fucking bike every god damn day. A mere 60 minutes still is KILLER on my ass even with basically zero pedaling intensity.

Do I ride for 4 hours until my ass is falling off instead? Maybe ride at 200 bpm until I have a fucking heart attack?
Johnny_P

I would not ride on a 45 mph no vis road with no shoulders.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Also, eBikes are great for commuting, great if you're older or disabled, but if you're able bodied, :gtfo: and get a real bike you pelodoper.
I don't know whether I agree with this, but did I miss where it was being discussed?

Fun is fun. If an ebike is fun, go for it IMO. The good ones are way out of my price range :doe: - same thing with bikes that have suspension. It might be nice but I'm not buying it anytime soon.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 am
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:02 pm Fuck, man. I bought a bike in the first 20something pages of the last thread.

I’m two bikes in right now and a third late last year.

Pflugtag’s due thIs time.
:yeahok:

I bought a bike in last thread. And sold 2.
Embolden.
Occam Uno.
Defy.
Intrigue Advanced.
Scout
A bike’s worth of parts for Occam Dos.
Wahoo Kickr, too.

Jesus Christ. Why did I just list those?

Sold her Old GT hardtail, my old old school GT Avalanche, the BMC TF02 and the Embolden.

Defy going for a Stigmata would be a fun idea.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Embolden.
Occam Uno.
Defy.
Intrigue Advanced.
Scout
Wahoo Kickr, too.

Sold her Old GT hardtail, my old old school GT Avalanche, the BMC TF02 and the Embolden.

You hate money. :lol:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Embolden.
Occam Uno.
Defy.
Intrigue Advanced.
Scout
Wahoo Kickr, too.

Can’t spend it when you’re dead.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Can’t spend it when you’re dead.
Nope!
Johnny_P

Embolden.
Occam Uno.
Defy.
Intrigue Advanced.
Scout
Wahoo Kickr, too.

:mahman:

Yeah the Trek getting exchanged for something would be good. I did rebuild the trek. All City for Stigmata would be ideal. Depends on job sitch. But I’m glad I have big reserves as this lack of work shit is a problem.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:54 pm

45-55 mph with low visibility and no shoulders, like most roads out here. :thisisfine:

I thought I had already started :doe: - I ride the fucking bike every god damn day. A mere 60 minutes still is KILLER on my ass even with basically zero pedaling intensity.

Do I ride for 4 hours until my ass is falling off instead? Maybe ride at 200 bpm until I have a fucking heart attack?
I was talking about outside.

Are there any climbs out of Corning that aren’t 45-55 MPH roads? Or perhaps low traffic and 45 MPH?

I ride on 45 MPH roads from time to time but only ones that are low/lower traffic and have a shoulder.

Not much Google street view in your area which makes it tough for me to scout.
Yeah street view and, well, streets in general are pretty limited around here. I'm sure there are usable routes but don't really care to look yet. It seems like I need to, at a bare minimum, be able to ride for at least an hour without pain and with my head up and eyes on the road. Until I get to that point, regardless of pace, I don't have much interest in going outside. I still can't even sit on the bike comfortably for an hour at any pace.

The trainer is nice. Weather is perfect every day, there's :fuckyeah: music blasting, I don't have to be hyper-vigilant looking for cars, and the hills can be whatever I want them to be. I don't understand the push to get outside. If it doesn't happen until next year, so be it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm
[user not found] wrote:Also, eBikes are great for commuting, great if you're older or disabled, but if you're able bodied, :gtfo: and get a real bike you pelodoper.
I don't know whether I agree with this, but did I miss where it was being discussed?

Fun is fun. If an ebike is fun, go for it IMO. The good ones are way out of my price range :doe: - same thing with bikes that have suspension. It might be nice but I'm not buying it anytime soon.
I don't know much about them but just thought these looked pretty cool - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... 38QAvD_BwE#/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Broke my chain on my ride this morning (mountain bike). Had to walk the bike four miles home, not great, not terrible. I guess I should start carrying a chain tool, that would suck if I was 10 or 20 miles from home on the road bike. Anything particular to note when ordering a new chain? I was thinking I'd just get a Shimano one as that matches the other components.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 am Broke my chain on my ride this morning (mountain bike). Had to walk the bike four miles home, not great, not terrible. I guess I should start carrying a chain tool, that would suck if I was 10 or 20 miles from home on the road bike. Anything particular to note when ordering a new chain? I was thinking I'd just get a Shimano one as that matches the other components.
Just get one that is designed to work with the number of rear gears you have. XT level chains are pretty good. Sram chains are potentially easier to install. You'll probably need a chain break tool to get it the right length. Use your old chain as a guide for how long the new one needs to be.

I have been carrying this tool for years. It's pretty decent but heavy. There might be a lighter option available.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/m ... 73-mini-18+

I've snapped a chain a couple times. It would suck if you were really far from home or a bike shop. At least with this you can always fix it on the side of the road.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 am Broke my chain on my ride this morning (mountain bike). Had to walk the bike four miles home, not great, not terrible. I guess I should start carrying a chain tool, that would suck if I was 10 or 20 miles from home on the road bike. Anything particular to note when ordering a new chain? I was thinking I'd just get a Shimano one as that matches the other components.
Just get one that is designed to work with the number of rear gears you have. XT level chains are pretty good. Sram chains are potentially easier to install. You'll probably need a chain break tool to get it the right length. Use your old chain as a guide for how long the new one needs to be.

I have been carrying this tool for years. It's pretty decent but heavy. There might be a lighter option available.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/m ... 73-mini-18+

I've snapped a chain a couple times. It would suck if you were really far from home or a bike shop. At least with this you can always fix it on the side of the road.
:word: I do have a chain tool, replaced one on my old Trek several years ago but don't recall much about the job honestly. I'm putting together a Jenson order now... I think I will get some new pedals and a new rear rotor as well since mine is bent a bit. Bike parts are so confusing :notsure:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:13 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm I don't know whether I agree with this, but did I miss where it was being discussed?

I don't know much about them but just thought these looked pretty cool - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... 38QAvD_BwE#/
That seems pretty sweet for $1500. IIRC the :neat: Specialized one is like $5k for a base model and $10k for a good one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:35 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:13 am

That seems pretty sweet for $1500. IIRC the :neat: Specialized one is like $5k for a base model and $10k for a good one.
:dat: I kinda want it... But that would be a dumb purchase.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ANything special to know about brake rotors? Mine stock are Shimano SLX... don't see those for sale at all. I think these are what I need - https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-RT66- ... rake-Rotor
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm ANything special to know about brake rotors? Mine stock are Shimano SLX... don't see those for sale at all. I think these are what I need - https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-RT66- ... rake-Rotor
There are two attachment types. 6-bolt like these, and center lock which uses a splined lock nut that threads onto the hub. Just get the right attachment type and the right size rotor.

Wavy rotors don't work as well despite looking cooler. These are rather basic and should do just fine.

Don't touch the stopping surface when you install it. Oils from your fingers will cause the brakes to howl.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:09 pm ANything special to know about brake rotors? Mine stock are Shimano SLX... don't see those for sale at all. I think these are what I need - https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-RT66- ... rake-Rotor
RT66 is the SLX level rotor.

Backcountry.com / competitive cyclist usually sell them cheap. I just got two 180mm rotors for $17 each for wifey's bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:42 pm
There are two attachment types. 6-bolt like these, and center lock which uses a splined lock nut that threads onto the hub. Just get the right attachment type and the right size rotor.

Wavy rotors don't work as well despite looking cooler. These are rather basic and should do just fine.

Don't touch the stopping surface when you install it. Oils from your fingers will cause the brakes to howl.
Thanks dude! Putting together an order now :boxodicks:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Man. The new Mojo looks rad. :megusta:

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo-4

Would consider swapping over everything from the Trance if I was able to get out and ride at least somewhat regularly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't know what any of that means but :fuckyeah: on the new PR!

I am :sad: that I now have no bike to ride at the moment. Both are being repaired/awaiting parts.