Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:17 pm So being able to ride with less intense pain has allowed me to focus on all of the other little things causing discomfort. Today I made 4 small adjustments to the seat and pedals and got to the point where it almost felt decent for a few minutes. Riding for almost 90 minutes today felt less bad than riding for 60 or less minutes on any day before today. I'm still :notsure: how people can do this for 8+ hours but as long as I keep my HR around 150 I can see doing 2 hours fairly easily. Adding a lot of "hills" today didn't seem to make any real difference besides lowering the "speeds" - as long as I watch HR, power, and cadence it seems like I can roll along without issue.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3615257567

:whocares:
I’m glad to see this starting to click for you. Keep it up!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 am

:fuckyeah:

I should’ve bought a chain locally, waiting isn’t fun :sass:
Top tip:

You should have bought two.
Expert tip: should have kept original chain on just taken one link out and kept riding it while you wait for your new chain
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 pm Top tip:

Expert tip: should have kept original chain on just taken one link out and kept riding it while you wait for your new chain
:notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:14 pm Sram dropping new colors for the GX and above lines; which includes copper!
I may need to grab a wheel set to stick a copper GX cassette on. :muah:
You’ll need a new derailleur too. The new 10-52 cassette is not compatible with pre-2020 model derailleurs.

The days of all of the Eagle parts working together are over.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:08 am
Apex wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:14 pm Sram dropping new colors for the GX and above lines; which includes copper!
You’ll need a new derailleur too. The new 10-52 cassette is not compatible with pre-2020 model derailleurs.

:rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Top tip:

May do this today so I can ride in the morning.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:24 pm

May do this today so I can ride in the morning.
And if you shorten the new chain be sure to keep the extra links just in case something like this happens. I have a bunch of chain links in my tool box.
Johnny_P

The 52t just seems like dick swinging to me. Since Shimano came out with the 51t cassette Sram feels the need to 1 up them? :iono:
Also, the compatibility issues mean that you're buying a new drivetrain to get it.... so.... money in Sram's pocket?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 am

The 52t just seems like dick swinging to me. Since Shimano came out with the 51t cassette Sram feels the need to 1 up them? :iono:
Also, the compatibility issues mean that you're buying a new drivetrain to get it.... so.... money in Sram's pocket?
With the 52t you could go up to a 34/36 front chain ring which could be helpful to some gravel 1x builds? :iono:
troyguitar

I was thinking more like a 44 front but maybe I'm optimistic? That was with an 11-50 1x11 or 12, the 10-tooth means new hubs/drivers which escalates the cost significantly.

It's annoying that the new 10-tooth options from Shimano are AFAIK not compatible with SRAM stuff. Will be interesting to see where it all goes. For me it seems like 10-50 1x12 with a 40-44 front would cover anything I'd ever want. The :scrooge: option is an 11-50 1x11 with all used parts...

Or I can just keep using the :fatty: triple and shifting with both hands. 11-32 + 50/39/30.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:25 am

With the 52t you could go up to a 34/36 front chain ring which could be helpful to some gravel 1x builds? :iono:
Well, on gravel you could go to like a 44t. 44x10 would be a pretty big gear, very close to 50x11 which would be a pretty standard gravel "double" crankset build top gear. While still maintaining a really under driven low gear for big climbs or loaded touring.

That's all theoretical though. Right now there is no drop bar groupset that works with MTB Eagle parts other than the Etap AXS ones (wireless electronic shifters). No cable shifters work with them, all the pull ratios and amounts are different, plus drop bar brifters max out at 11 speeds currently.

1x12 for gravel riding would be neat though, and I'm sure we are only a few years away from it at this point.
troyguitar

Ugh, yeah just looked it up. This guy explains the current state of 1x12 "gravel" clearly. Summary: :wasteful:

https://blog.3t.bike/2019/09/12028/grav ... ivetrains/

Sounds like 1x11 is the only one worth doing unless you go full :troywax:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am Ugh, yeah just looked it up. This guy explains the current state of 1x12 "gravel" clearly. Summary: :wasteful:

If you want drop bar shifters sure. If you want MTB shifters, the world is your oyster and I'd absolutely go Eagle 12 speed like GX level, or the new Shimano 12 speed MTB drivetrains.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:15 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am Ugh, yeah just looked it up. This guy explains the current state of 1x12 "gravel" clearly. Summary: :wasteful:

If you want drop bar shifters sure. If you want MTB shifters, the world is your oyster and I'd absolutely go Eagle 12 speed like GX level, or the new Shimano 12 speed MTB drivetrains.
:word:

I like my :stig: shifters a lot :doe: - at least on the rear it's very racecar, the front shifting is not nearly as good which is why I like the idea of 1x11 or 12.

Maybe 11-50 would be fine with as 1x11 with the right cassette. I don't think I'm strong enough to pull off 11-42 on the steep hills, but perhaps by the time I might actually want to buy anything I'll get there. (or more 12 speed road stuff will come out)

I already don't mind the "huge gaps" on my 8-speed 11-32 rear setup, going to 11-speed 11-50 would probably feel like the same thing but with wider range right?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:15 am

I like my :stig: shifters a lot :doe: - at least on the rear it's very racecar, the front shifting is not nearly as good which is why I like the idea of 1x11 or 12.

Maybe 11-50 would be fine with as 1x11 with the right cassette. I don't think I'm strong enough to pull off 11-42 on the steep hills, but perhaps by the time I might actually want to buy anything I'll get there. (or more 12 speed road stuff will come out)

I already don't mind the "huge gaps" on my 8-speed 11-32 rear setup, going to 11-speed 11-50 would probably feel like the same thing but with wider range right?
You'd like the sram road shifters. They use one lever for both up and down you just push it more or less. But the rear fires off like a rifle with every shift. Very racecar. Yeah integrated shift/brake levers are fucking awesome.

You're right on the gearing gaps and range comment. 2x still has a place in the world but it's desirability is diminshing as 1x gearing gets better. I'd still gear a gravel bike 2x. But in 2 years maybe not.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:23 am

You'd like the sram road shifters. They use one lever for both up and down you just push it more or less. But the rear fires off like a rifle with every shift. Very racecar. Yeah integrated shift/brake levers are fucking awesome.

You're right on the gearing gaps and range comment. 2x still has a place in the world but it's desirability is diminshing as 1x gearing gets better. I'd still gear a gravel bike 2x. But in 2 years maybe not.
I don't know nearly as much about gearing as y'all... but man, after riding my buddy's 1X mountain bike, it is pretty shitty if you have to go on the road at all to get to the trail where you're riding. I'll keep my dual cogs in the front, thank you.

I'm curious if the shop tuning up my Raleigh gets the front derailleur working :popcorn: it would certainly be :nice: to have.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 am

I don't know nearly as much about gearing as y'all... but man, after riding my buddy's 1X mountain bike, it is pretty shitty if you have to go on the road at all to get to the trail where you're riding. I'll keep my dual cogs in the front, thank you.

I'm curious if the shop tuning up my Raleigh gets the front derailleur working :popcorn: it would certainly be :nice: to have.
Depends on the gearing he has. I’m usually in top gear when pedaling on the road to/from.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm I don't know nearly as much about gearing as y'all... but man, after riding my buddy's 1X mountain bike, it is pretty shitty if you have to go on the road at all to get to the trail where you're riding. I'll keep my dual cogs in the front, thank you.

I run a 1x setup on the Whorbea with an 11-36 rear / 30T front and it’s fine riding to the trails? :iono:

Oh, right. People with 1x setups run tiny front rings. :flaccid:
Yeah I mean I'm talking about having 40/10 or 44/11 top end and a 42 or 50 for hills.

You can get just about whatever gearing you want on a bike, unlike cars.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43 am
[user not found] wrote:
I run a 1x setup on the Whorbea with an 11-36 rear / 30T front and it’s fine riding to the trails? :iono:

Yeah I mean I'm talking about having 40/10 or 44/11 top end and a 42 or 50 for hills.

You can get just about whatever gearing you want on a bike, unlike cars.
Yeah it can be a bit of a headache to figure out but it’s really adjustable. So if you need more or less it’s simple enough to adjust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Yeah this is just a stock new Giant that costs $1500.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Bike Park Tomorrow!
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm Bike Park Tomorrow!
:excited:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

12mi into my ride last night I tapped a curb on the sidewalk as I was headed over to press the crosswalk button, started moving and noticed something felt weird. Looked at my rear tire and the damn thing was flat from a light tap.

Checked my tool kit, noticed no patches were included so that was fun to find out. Was at a church in my friends neighborhood so he brought one of his new tubes over. Once I got done looking like a fool getting the tire off it was put back together fairly quick only to find out the new tube was bad :(
Johnny_P

3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 am 12mi into my ride last night I tapped a curb on the sidewalk as I was headed over to press the crosswalk button, started moving and noticed something felt weird. Looked at my rear tire and the damn thing was flat from a light tap.

Checked my tool kit, noticed no patches were included so that was fun to find out. Was at a church in my friends neighborhood so he brought one of his new tubes over. Once I got done looking like a fool getting the tire off it was put back together fairly quick only to find out the new tube was bad :(
I hate it when that happens :rage:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm Bike Park Tomorrow!
pics