Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:38 am Oh :word:

I am a psycho so on my short hiatus from cycling I'm doing stupid long runs and they suck :lolol:

I feel like if I exercise from 20 minutes I've done nothing :doe:

I often run 2.25 miles to the gym, lift, then run back home. My legs are pretty noodly after a week of a few of those plus some longer runs.
I also do sled work as a warmup before each lifting session, so I get that for cardio 4 or 5 times per week. Then after every lift I'm running 1-1.5 miles. I'm also trying to do one "long" (for me) run each week, usually 3-3.5 miles outside with the :doge:. If it's nice I'll do the shorter ones with him too depending on weather and timing.

It's enough for me for right now. I'm not an endurance athlete, never have been, probably never will be. It's okay.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:38 am Oh :word:

I am a psycho so on my short hiatus from cycling I'm doing stupid long runs and they suck :lolol:

I feel like if I exercise from 20 minutes I've done nothing :doe:

I often run 2.25 miles to the gym, lift, then run back home. My legs are pretty noodly after a week of a few of those plus some longer runs.
I also do sled work as a warmup before each lifting session, so I get that for cardio 4 or 5 times per week. Then after every lift I'm running 1-1.5 miles. I'm also trying to do one "long" (for me) run each week, usually 3-3.5 miles outside with the :doge:. If it's nice I'll do the shorter ones with him too depending on weather and timing.

It's enough for me for right now. I'm not an endurance athlete, never have been, probably never will be. It's okay.
:word: I don't at all mean to diminish you're efforts, you definitely put in the work and it shows. It's also :notbad: to acknowledge what you excel at naturally and go with it. It's funny that I did powerlifting for so long but I think that genetically it's impossible for me to squat over 300 :lolol: :pussy:

Come to find out I'm pretty good at endurance shit.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:32 pm
:word: I don't at all mean to diminish you're efforts, you definitely put in the work and it shows. It's also :notbad: to acknowledge what you excel at naturally and go with it. It's funny that I did powerlifting for so long but I think that genetically it's impossible for me to squat over 300 :lolol: :pussy:

Come to find out I'm pretty good at endurance shit.
Right on, we've all got our thing. More power to anyone who likes endurance sports.

For me it's all about feeling good first, looking good second, and then measurables third. It was fun to see my watts climbing on the bike, but I didn't look my best, my physique and musculature definitely suffered, and I most certainly didn't feel my best off the bike. And I was only putting in 3.5 hours per week.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:01 pm Yeah, to be fast on the bike, you've gotta be all-in on it. Any muscle that isn't helping your legs or core is wasted mass.

Sprinters can get away with being bulkier, but it's a delicate balance.

I've definitely found I'm built almost specifically for cycling with my long legs and short torso, and capacity for endurance.
And that's great! Cycling definitely works for you, and you're clearly pretty damn good at it.

My goal was never to be truly fast, but I did at least want that 250W FTP with an eye toward 300. What I didn't fully appreciate was how much energy even 3-3.5 hours per week would sap from my other workouts, especially toward the end of a periodized training block where the intensity continued to ramp as the weeks progressed. My weight training sessions turned to absolute garbage. I felt like I lost multiple inches off my vertical and my legs felt like they weighed a ton if they weren't attached to a cleat.

I don't know, the bike just seems to sap my athleticism. That said, I still enjoy riding. I did a 10min warmup, 20min Tabata, 5min cooldown stack this morning and loved it. But I'm probably not going to dedicate my athletic pursuits to cycling just for the sake of being better at cycling. There are so many other things I enjoy doing.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:56 am Glad you're still enjoying it dude.

I'd bet you'll surprise yourself if and when you get out on the road bike in the real world with the gains in fitness you've made.
I'm hoping you're right. It's clear and sunny here - it looks beautiful outside - but it's barely above freezing. I'm definitely itching to get out there and ride. This lifting cycle is down to two lower body days each week as well (from 3), so I should be able to squeeze in a bit more cardio work without :nuke: ing my CNS.

The one other thing I'm curious about is how one Peloton translates to another. From what I gather on Peloton Facebook pages, the original Peloton bikes can be all over the place in terms of calibration, whereas the Bike + gets an auto calibration during the initial setup and never needs adjustment again. I've seen some people who clearly have the original bike go from 150W off the couch to 400W FTP tests in 6 months. :derp: Like, :bruh: , you riding the Tour de France later this year with that FTP of yours? I have no doubt you're waaayyyy faster than me, but are you really 100W stronger over 20 minutes? 330W on my bike is a LOAD.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:08 am
coogles wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:38 pm

I'm hoping you're right. It's clear and sunny here - it looks beautiful outside - but it's barely above freezing. I'm definitely itching to get out there and ride. This lifting cycle is down to two lower body days each week as well (from 3), so I should be able to squeeze in a bit more cardio work without :nuke: ing my CNS.

The one other thing I'm curious about is how one Peloton translates to another. From what I gather on Peloton Facebook pages, the original Peloton bikes can be all over the place in terms of calibration, whereas the Bike + gets an auto calibration during the initial setup and never needs adjustment again. I've seen some people who clearly have the original bike go from 150W off the couch to 400W FTP tests in 6 months. :derp: Like, :bruh: , you riding the Tour de France later this year with that FTP of yours? I have no doubt you're waaayyyy faster than me, but are you really 100W stronger over 20 minutes? 330W on my bike is a LOAD.
:iono:

I’ll check the calibration on le Peloton, but given that I regularly throw down pretty hard against known strong riders outside, it can’t be that untruthful.

Unfortunately I don’t ride with power on anything, so I can’t compare outputs.
Yeah I'd be really curious to see what you'd put down with a power meter outside. Maybe your calibration is spot on, who knows? I just know that a 330W FTP test on my bike, so actually averaging 347W for those 20 minutes, feels like it should be basically impossible for anyone who isn't a full on professional. Even then it's hard to fathom. But it's all relative, I guess. To some people my 231W FTP test would feel totally unobtainium.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I agree on having an outdoor power meter, sometimes I want one but in a way I think it would just ruin it. I do wish our peloton set up at it though. That said the wife really doesn’t use it anymore so I might just try to sell it to free up some space in the tiny house.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I still haven't done an FTP test. Set an output PR on a class this afternoon, so I know progress is happening.

I love the Peloton. Ride it nearly every day. It's my only physical outlet since we live on Hoth for half the year. Game changer for me. Every aspect of my life is better with the increased physical activity.

Looking forward to getting out on the road this summer. I might even be confident enough to join some group rides to meet people since I shouldn't be an anchor now. Gotta get my MTB fixed up too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:57 pm I still haven't done an FTP test. Set an output PR on a class this afternoon, so I know progress is happening.

I love the Peloton. Ride it nearly every day. It's my only physical outlet since we live on Hoth for half the year. Game changer for me. Every aspect of my life is better with the increased physical activity.

Looking forward to getting out on the road this summer. I might even be confident enough to join some group rides to meet people since I shouldn't be an anchor now. Gotta get my MTB fixed up too.
Hell yeah.

FWIW, I think there's actually a pretty big gravel scene in Meatchicken.

https://www.michigangravelraceseries.com/
This looks like a ton of fun. Not sure about racing :doe: That's next level.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:47 pm

Hell yeah.

FWIW, I think there's actually a pretty big gravel scene in Meatchicken.

https://www.michigangravelraceseries.com/
A few things:

1. I've never done an FTP test either. :iono: I just don't GAF, I honestly don't really even know what FTP is and I imagine I'm a better rider than many who obsess over it. You always know your own progress and as long as you're happy with it, that's what counts. For some, building FTP is the joy they seek, which is cool, but I wouldn't worry about it if you're not worried about it.
2. Definitely check out some group rides! Most people are pretty cool, many rides are fairly laid back and if they aren't they will usually make that pretty clear going in. You'll keep up just fine and be better than you think you will I bet.
3. There are a lot of types of races, no need to rule it out. I've done many that were just big rolling parties. The gravel scene seems to be pretty awesome and the events sound so fun, I want a gravel bike and to get onboard but there's really no gravel near me. That said, I too would steer clear of crit racing and other stuff like that where it's too easy to get hurt for my tastes.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:24 am
A few things:

1. I've never done an FTP test either. :iono: I just don't GAF, I honestly don't really even know what FTP is and I imagine I'm a better rider than many who obsess over it. You always know your own progress and as long as you're happy with it, that's what counts. For some, building FTP is the joy they seek, which is cool, but I wouldn't worry about it if you're not worried about it.
2. Definitely check out some group rides! Most people are pretty cool, many rides are fairly laid back and if they aren't they will usually make that pretty clear going in. You'll keep up just fine and be better than you think you will I bet.
3. There are a lot of types of races, no need to rule it out. I've done many that were just big rolling parties. The gravel scene seems to be pretty awesome and the events sound so fun, I want a gravel bike and to get onboard but there's really no gravel near me. That said, I too would steer clear of crit racing and other stuff like that where it's too easy to get hurt for my tastes.
IDGAF about numbers either, but I need to show some sort of progress to myself so I don't get bored. That's the hardest thing about the Peloton, it can start to feel a bit repetitive without some other goal. Trimming down has been the best improvement, but I rarely set PRs on a workout, so aside from the motivation to keep a streak going, I don't have much.

Where do you find group ride, meetup? I want to look into it.

Guess I shouldn't close the door on racing. Maybe I'll get there at some point?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

There's a good chance I'll need to buy a road bike in the next few months. What are some road bikes that put you in a more upright position and ride pretty smoothly but can still throw down? I can't handle the super bent over race position and don't care to ride like that anymore.

30mm tires would be a plus. The roads out by me are trash, and will continue to be trash for the next 10 years due to mandated utility work.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:59 pm
IDGAF about numbers either, but I need to show some sort of progress to myself so I don't get bored. That's the hardest thing about the Peloton, it can start to feel a bit repetitive without some other goal. Trimming down has been the best improvement, but I rarely set PRs on a workout, so aside from the motivation to keep a streak going, I don't have much.

Gravel in general has a very wide depth of involvement in the events. At the front of the events, you'll find the racers taking things seriously, and at the back you'll find people riding at party pace, maybe drinking beers during the ride. I think you'd thoroughly enjoy it. Dirt roads, good scenery, and bikes. What's not to love?

I love the gravel vibes. A lot of the events I do have big followings, party atmosphere, just solid grassroots environments with good food, good beer, and good people. It's awesome.

Also, it's good to test your fitness in some way/shape/form if the goal is fitness; yardsticks are important to measure improvement. It could be a nearby Strava segment, a FTP test, or just hammering some dicks in (or getting yours hammered in) on the group ride. Everyone's got their own method.
:dat: I agree with all of this.

Events is a better term than race in many cases, some are legitimate races, some only a few people are racing, etc.

I’m doing this next month https://hincapie.com/granfondo/chattano ... -schedule/ I’m not really competing for anything, especially since I haven’t ridden much lately. I’ll have some friends there though, we’ll knock out 77 beautiful miles and just enjoy ourselves.

[user not found] is making me want a gravel bike though. I guess I could do some gravel events on my Raleigh if they didn’t contain single track, it’s not a lot of fun to me on single track with the old school geometry.

I also agree on Strava segments. That is a fun way to get competitive and try to improve to me, much more so than power and FTP.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm

A few things:

I couldn’t personally do Peloton classes everyday, but they can be a fun challenge and at least have good variety.

I would check Meetup and Facebook. Another place to look is local bike shops, they often sponsor rides or at least know about them. Meetup here has a lot of stuff though, from casual rides around the city to get a beer after work to full send 20+ MPH drop rides.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:14 am There's a good chance I'll need to buy a road bike in the next few months. What are some road bikes that put you in a more upright position and ride pretty smoothly but can still throw down? I can't handle the super bent over race position and don't care to ride like that anymore.

30mm tires would be a plus. The roads out by me are trash, and will continue to be trash for the next 10 years due to mandated utility work.
I haven’t paid attention since I bought mine honestly. The new Cannondale stuff looks cool. I have really enjoyed my Ribble and would recommend, it’s comfy for me and I’ve yet to see another one which is fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

After almost 90 days off bikes due to the :balls: / :jizz: situation, I am back in the saddle!

After fighting some internally routed shifter cable woes I took the Ribble out this morning and yesterday after work. I did 35ish miles yesterday at an average of 18.6 MPH, and this morning did a 2X20 interval ride which wound up totally about 24 miles, also averaging 18.6 MPH.

Man, it felt great to be back on a bike! I lost a little speed (and last night it was very windy for CLT). My legs feel good though, I think I'll get back up there pretty quickly.

I am doing the Hincapie Chattanooga Gran Fondo on May 7th - 77 miles in the mountains of TN, so hopefully I'll be ready for that. I am itching to get back on the new MTB as well, but trails are closed for now due to mud/rain. Maybe I can get out Sunday or something.
Johnny_P

Doing the gravel espresso ride today. Gonna be like 35 miles. I’ll probably die.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:02 pm Doing the gravel espresso ride today. Gonna be like 35 miles. I’ll probably die.
You can :doit:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:02 pm Doing the gravel espresso ride today. Gonna be like 35 miles. I’ll probably die.
Looks like you lived.
Sort of. Do not feel good today.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:28 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:22 pm

Looks like you lived.
No better way to get back into it than diving on in.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:38 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:28 am

No better way to get back into it than diving on in.
Maybe yeah. 37 mile ride tho. Probably should have been 10 less than that. I felt nauseous last night and couldn’t sleep. And today I am pretty exhausted. I dunno.

Felt good to get out and ride and I set some PRs that beat my times on the Cervelo. On my steel sled with 38c knobby tires. Lol.
Johnny_P

Cannondale Synapse has some low powered integrated light and battery system built into the frame now.

:disgust:

I guess if I get a road bike it will probably be a Trek or something. I hear good things about BMC Roadmachine but there are no dealers anywhere near me.

Then again does it even matter? I’m not worlds slower on the gravel bike with knobbies.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:Cannondale Synapse has some low powered integrated light and battery system built into the frame now.

I guess if I get a road bike it will probably be a Trek or something. I hear good things about BMC Roadmachine but there are no dealers anywhere near me.

Then again does it even matter? I’m not worlds slower on the gravel bike with knobbies.
Wouldnt most in that frame range be looking at Di2 or eTap anyways? Im sure expensive proprietary shit, but basic battery wiring :notbad:?
Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Cannondale Synapse has some low powered integrated light and battery system built into the frame now.

Wouldnt most in that frame range be looking at Di2 or eTap anyways? Im sure expensive proprietary shit, but basic battery wiring :notbad:?
This is some proprietary and separate thing that only powers lights and other cannondale branded bits from what I understand.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
rockchops wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:09 pm Wouldnt most in that frame range be looking at Di2 or eTap anyways? Im sure expensive proprietary shit, but basic battery wiring :notbad:?
This is some proprietary and separate thing that only powers lights and other cannondale branded bits from what I understand.
ew yeah thats terrible