Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Sounds like my STI. Needed more rebound damping to stop the jiggly wigglies. Have you messed with tire air pressure? STI got really bouncy if they weren’t inflated enough.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm Sounds like my STI. Needed more rebound damping to stop the jiggly wigglies. Have you messed with tire air pressure? STI got really bouncy if they weren’t inflated enough.
It's totally different, this is a frequency thing. It's like the wag of a trailer based on a shift in weight distribution, but up and down.

It has something to do with the distance between sections of highway, the speed, and the wheelbase. It starts to pitch the car quickly aft and forward like a seesaw.
Johnny_P

There’s a long standing bike shop literally around the corner from my new house. Went there yesterday and found out they do group rides 2x a week when in season. Meet at 6, ride around, and have some beers after. Sounds good. I’m excited to make some new bike friends next year.

I haven’t touched my bikes in months. Both my gravel tires went completely flat on the macho man. 😭
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:35 pm There’s a long standing bike shop literally around the corner from my new house. Went there yesterday and found out they do group rides 2x a week when in season. Meet at 6, ride around, and have some beers after. Sounds good. I’m excited to make some new bike friends next year.

I haven’t touched my bikes in months. Both my gravel tires went completely flat on the macho man. 😭
That’s awesome you’ll have easy access to group rides. I definitely feel a bit safer on the road that way and it’s fun chasing down the fastest people. I’ve been consistent but a little lighter recently, just haven’t had as much time to dedicate with work, house shit, marriage, etc.

Got out on the MTB a few times recently to enjoy the fall:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anyone still doing bike shit?

I ordered some new winter gear on BF/CM, going to try to keep riding volume up through wintah. I'm at 3,460 miles in 2023, I think I may attempt to hit 4K for the year, but it'll be tricky as this first week I'll be on the road. Other than that I'm home so if I go hard, maybe?

I kind of doubt I'll be able to hit the almost 6K of 2021 any time soon. :sad: Work travel definitely puts a damper on it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:56 am Anyone still doing bike shit?

I ordered some new winter gear on BF/CM, going to try to keep riding volume up through wintah. I'm at 3,460 miles in 2023, I think I may attempt to hit 4K for the year, but it'll be tricky as this first week I'll be on the road. Other than that I'm home so if I go hard, maybe?

I kind of doubt I'll be able to hit the almost 6K of 2021 any time soon. :sad: Work travel definitely puts a damper on it.
I'm a :pussy:, I haven't done anything but hop on the Peloton for several weeks. Good on you for trying to get out in the cold, :mahman:.

I'm just about to finish up my current 12 week program and I think I'm going to change things up a bit and move to a 3 day per week split in the gym (currently doing 4). I'm going to try to dedicate more time to the cardio side of things, specifically going for a sub 8:00 mile and a 250W FTP on the Pelotube. I've passed all of my personal standards for the training certs I'm working on, so I can afford to change gears a bit now. We shall see how it goes.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Not that I bike, but the cold definitely makes it hard to get out. My daily steps are down from a 10k average to like 3-4k :(

They’re opening a Planet Fitness super close to me though, and I still have my $10 membership there, so as soon as it opens I’m going to start going to do cardio first thing in the morning on the treadmill again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:28 am Not that I bike, but the cold definitely makes it hard to get out. My daily steps are down from a 10k average to like 3-4k :(

They’re opening a Planet Fitness super close to me though, and I still have my $10 membership there, so as soon as it opens I’m going to start going to do cardio first thing in the morning on the treadmill again.
:nice:

I'm still on the PF train, it's pretty aight, certainly gets the job done for treadmill access.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:55 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:56 am Anyone still doing bike shit?

I'm a :pussy:, I haven't done anything but hop on the Peloton for several weeks. Good on you for trying to get out in the cold, :mahman:.

I'm just about to finish up my current 12 week program and I think I'm going to change things up a bit and move to a 3 day per week split in the gym (currently doing 4). I'm going to try to dedicate more time to the cardio side of things, specifically going for a sub 8:00 mile and a 250W FTP on the Pelotube. I've passed all of my personal standards for the training certs I'm working on, so I can afford to change gears a bit now. We shall see how it goes.
To be fair IN is a bit colder than here. My new boss man is in South Bend and the weather seems heinous, I'm sure Indy is quite a bit better being sans lake effect?

I did go out in 29F the other morning and it was cold but manageable.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:17 pm

To be fair IN is a bit colder than here. My new boss man is in South Bend and the weather seems heinous, I'm sure Indy is quite a bit better being sans lake effect?

Took a walk at lunch the other day in 22F weather. :highfive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:20 pm

Walking I'm happy down to about 10 or so, if you dress for it, it's OK. The bike it's definitely harder but I'm trying to get there. The wind chill can be pretty brutal and as you start working, it's very easy to be fucking freezing/numb on some parts of your body and sweating like mad on others, then even a short stop can make everything very cold due to the sweat once your heart rate drops.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:55 pm Well that was dumb. Helped the wife and kids get out the door and then hopped in the 86 to head down to Nashville (IN). About 60 second after getting onto 465 (the ring road around Indianapolis), I was car sick. I don't know if it was because I had a bit of a stomach bug earlier in the week, but by the time I made it around to the south side of Indianapolis to get on 65 south I was ready to puke. To date the 86 is the only car I've ever driven or ridden in that makes me car sick. There's something about the way concrete highways are made that pitches this car back and forth and tremendously upsets this car.

Once I got on 65, which is asphalt, things smoothed out and I was more or less fine and made my way down to Nashville. Got there around 10:45am, stopped over by the vendor booths, and literally every short travel bike my size was already out. Trail 429, Mach 4, Spur, Smuggler, Ripley, Exie, all out. So I went back to my car and sat down for awhile keeping my eyes on the trail coming out of the woods to see if anyone looking about my size came back, and slowly it started to drizzle, then clear, then rain, clear, then it poured. And it stayed raining until I decided to just pack it up and head home at about 11:25. And at that point the roads were too wet to have any fun without fear of wrapping the 86 around a tree.

And then I got car sick again on the way home. Hooray.

Griff I don't know how you daily this thing. It's fun when driving it in a spirited fashion but I hate using it as a regular car. I'm never taking it on the highway again.
I thought you were selling it? I have never been carsick in any car.........but the driver's seat is a new one on me.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I will run in 29F, I will not ride. :nope:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:42 pm I thought you were selling it? I have never been carsick in any car.........but the driver's seat is a new one on me.
I've only posted it in a couple places and I've received no interest. The online offers are trash...having a hard time swallowing the idea of selling the thing for $27k.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:42 pm I thought you were selling it? I have never been carsick in any car.........but the driver's seat is a new one on me.
I've only posted it in a couple places and I've received no interest. The online offers are trash...having a hard time swallowing the idea of selling the thing for $27k.
Further evidence of the end of the madness
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:04 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:56 pm

Yup. Last summer it was $37k. Oops.

I wasn't mentally ready to sell it at that point, though. Had I done that, I'd have driven my wife to divorce by now bugging her that I needed a "fun" car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:24 pm

I wasn't mentally ready to sell it at that point, though. Had I done that, I'd have driven my wife to divorce by now bugging her that I needed a "fun" car.
Resulting in a loss significantly in excess of the $10K at issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:36 pm

Resulting in a loss significantly in excess of the $10K at issue.
:notwrong: :lolol:

I've kinda come to terms with the fact that if I was to dump the 86, the number would start with a 2... pretty sad but it's overall better this way. I look forward to cheaper cool shit again soon.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:29 pm
wap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:20 pm

Walking I'm happy down to about 10 or so, if you dress for it, it's OK. The bike it's definitely harder but I'm trying to get there. The wind chill can be pretty brutal and as you start working, it's very easy to be fucking freezing/numb on some parts of your body and sweating like mad on others, then even a short stop can make everything very cold due to the sweat once your heart rate drops.
:dat:
The coldest I ever walked in was -4F. It was ... interesting. Not bad or uncomfortable since I took pains to dress properly, but the interesting thing was that my eyes started to water a bit from the cold breeze and my eyelashes would freeze shut with every blink and I had to constantly pry them open. :lolol:

I imagine biking in serious cold is a whole other level of challenge, balancing protecting from the cold wind with sweating from the workout. :nope:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:29 pm

:dat:
The coldest I ever walked in was -4F. It was ... interesting. Not bad or uncomfortable since I took pains to dress properly, but the interesting thing was that my eyes started to water a bit from the cold breeze and my eyelashes would freeze shut with every blink and I had to constantly pry them open. :lolol:

I imagine biking in serious cold is a whole other level of challenge, balancing protecting from the cold wind with sweating from the workout. :nope:
The eyes are another thing too, you're either getting blasted with cold ass air or wearing glasses that are constantly fading up COVID mask style because you have a neck gaiter or whatever over your face. It keeps things interesting :doe:
Johnny_P

If you have good cold weather gear I find riding acceptable down to about 30 degrees. Below that no thanks.

That said I haven’t touched a bike since like August. Too much going on with the house, pregs wife, general chaos.

I hope I can buy a road bike next year for road ride friends.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:tits: gets :rolleyes: whenever i bring up the subject of which car to trade in. She loves my accord and :nope: on the R
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

FTP Update - 215W :flaccid:

I started back up with the Peloton maybe 5-6 weeks ago. Did a few generic classes and then hopped back into the Power Zone stuff with more tailored intervals.

The pzpack.com website puts together full plans using those classes and I jumped in late on their latest one. I manually set my FTP to an estimated 200W to start, and that began to feel really easy amazingly quickly. Unfortunately, with the holidays I missed the peak week of the program, and I just started coming down with a sinus cold of some kind, which completely jacked my heart rate. I have no doubt I would have otherwise tested 10-15W higher, but it is what it is. Next 8 week program starts on Monday.

Hoping to be in the 235W-240W range by the end of it.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:03 am FTP Update - 215W :flaccid:

I started back up with the Peloton maybe 5-6 weeks ago. Did a few generic classes and then hopped back into the Power Zone stuff with more tailored intervals.

The pzpack.com website puts together full plans using those classes and I jumped in late on their latest one. I manually set my FTP to an estimated 200W to start, and that began to feel really easy amazingly quickly. Unfortunately, with the holidays I missed the peak week of the program, and I just started coming down with a sinus cold of some kind, which completely jacked my heart rate. I have no doubt I would have otherwise tested 10-15W higher, but it is what it is. Next 8 week program starts on Monday.

Hoping to be in the 235W-240W range by the end of it.

That’s pretty good really. I’m probably throwing down about half that now.
Johnny_P

BMC roadmachine vs Cannondale Supersix?

Or another bike?

The geo on the Supersix is pretty spot on for me. The Tarmac, Edmonda, and TCR are all way too stretched out and aggressive. I need something that sits me at a more upright angle since I’m 39 now. Too bad because I love the Tarmac overall.

The Wilier GTR Team that I had in Italy was good geo wise. It’s just got a bad warranty reputation and the value is too low. Also kind of boring to ride.