Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:29 am My buddy just got a new OBED gravel bike and it was delivered fully assembled within two weeks. I remember looking at their stuff when I got the Ribble and it was a similar six month or whatever wait at that time.

I think many people who jumped on the cycling train during the 'VID are in it for the long haul which is cool, but at the same time, those people already have bikes and plenty others bought stuff and didn't really get into it.

I see this the most with MTB. There are so many people in the CLT area who have $5-10K bikes and hit trails like once a quarter. It's funny because they are always embarrassingly bad at climbing, you can spot them from a mile away.
100% me when I had the Trance. At least I didn't pay the full $5,100 MSRP for it since I bought it used. :lol:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Also why I never bought one. I’d go once a month at most. So like 6x a year? Not worth it for $4k.
Johnny_P

This is tempting:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik ... 93770.html

Canyon Endurance carbon, looks like it wasn't used much and it's been rotting on crangslist for a few weeks now. I don't know anything about this brand, but the new one is $3700 and comes in a pretty shade of yellow.

Glans Hustaf
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Nothing Impressive

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:18 pm This is tempting:

Canyon Endurance carbon, looks like it wasn't used much and it's been rotting on crangslist for a few weeks now. I don't know anything about this brand, but the new one is $3700 and comes in a pretty shade of yellow.

Seems like a decent :dill:

Buy the whole shebang, hang onto the smart trainer until the winter and sell it to someone looking to Zwift. :dillerman:

58 bikes aren't easy to find, and I think a more endurance fit would suit you well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I have never ridden a canyon, but they seem to be the most popular and best known mail order brand. I see them on every group ride and have talked to people about them, they seem well loved. I have had good luck with my direct to consumer bike, I would buy one again. GCN has also ridden them a lot, the company is German.
Johnny_P

Sack wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:27 pm

Buy the whole shebang, hang onto the smart trainer until the winter and sell it to someone looking to Zwift. :dillerman:

58 bikes aren't easy to find, and I think a more endurance fit would suit you well.
I think fit wise it should work. A little lower but not any longer than my All City which would be ideal for a road dedicated bike for me. I don't want to deal with reselling the trainer at all. I wonder if he'd take less on it. The deal isn't super great, especially considering I wouldn't have any warranty or company support at all despite the big cash outlay.

The other one to consider is the Specialized Roubaix. On the down side its a specialized, on the up side it seems like an awesome bike overall. The suspension is probably not necessary but might help with long ride fatigue I seem to be getting in my hands.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Sack wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:27 pm

I think fit wise it should work. A little lower but not any longer than my All City which would be ideal for a road dedicated bike for me. I don't want to deal with reselling the trainer at all. I wonder if he'd take less on it. The deal isn't super great, especially considering I wouldn't have any warranty or company support at all despite the big cash outlay.

The other one to consider is the Specialized Roubaix. On the down side its a specialized, on the up side it seems like an awesome bike overall. The suspension is probably not necessary but might help with long ride fatigue I seem to be getting in my hands.
Yeah it’s a far cry from when a one year old bike was worth like 60% of MSRP which was always the case pre 2020 I feel. To me you’re saving $250 to get a worse color and a used bike… not really worth it. The guy should just sell the trainer separately, selling stuff together like that is worse for everyone if you think it’s somehow worth the same amount as separate.

Like just because I’m buying a milkshake doesn’t mean I also want (and want to pay for) a slice of pizza.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Yeah it’s a far cry from when a one year old bike was worth like 60% of MSRP which was always the case pre 2020 I feel. To me you’re saving $250 to get a worse color and a used bike… not really worth it. The guy should just sell the trainer separately, selling stuff together like that is worse for everyone if you think it’s somehow worth the same amount as separate.

Like just because I’m buying a milkshake doesn’t mean I also want (and want to pay for) a slice of pizza.
Yeah I know. Prices like that make me think it’s worth just going new. But knock off the trainer and reduce the price. I wonder if he’d take $2k? That would be pretty dece. But the yellow is a lot prettier IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Yeah I know. Prices like that make me think it’s worth just going new. But knock off the trainer and reduce the price. I wonder if he’d take $2k? That would be pretty dece. But the yellow is a lot prettier IMO.
Doesn't hurt to ask...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Damn their $3K bike has Ultegra? That seems like a :dill: I thought Ultegra level carbon bikes were more like $4K now.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:17 am Damn their $3K bike has Ultegra? That seems like a :dill: I thought Ultegra level carbon bikes were more like $4K now.
It did. Now that bike is $3700. But still a good value overall.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

First ever group ride in the books.

It was really fun. It's an older group, mostly 50+, but one guy is 85!! Pretty incredible, and he was one of the stronger riders. The dude grew up in Luxembourg and raced professionally before he moved with his family to the states in his mid 20s, and I guess raced as a "senior" in his 40s as well. There was another guy who was pretty quick and liked to lead the pack, so I ended up next to him or on his wheel almost the whole time. We led a breakaway several times and he kept egging me on. He was definitely faster than me overall, but I could get him in a sprint and still recover faster. But he's probably 20 years older than me, so you'll have that. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to keep going out with this group on Fridays.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:53 am First ever group ride in the books.

It was really fun. It's an older group, mostly 50+, but one guy is 85!! Pretty incredible, and he was one of the stronger riders. The dude grew up in Luxembourg and raced professionally before he moved with his family to the states in his mid 20s, and I guess raced as a "senior" in his 40s as well. There was another guy who was pretty quick and liked to lead the pack, so I ended up next to him or on his wheel almost the whole time. We led a breakaway several times and he kept egging me on. He was definitely faster than me overall, but I could get him in a sprint and still recover faster. But he's probably 20 years older than me, so you'll have that. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to keep going out with this group on Fridays.

:fuckyeah: man! I enjoy riding solo or with one friend when there's great scenery and stuff, but when just rolling around town, being in a group is great. If you get with the right people, you can really get pushed to the next level of speed. It also just breaks up the monotony of spinning for hours and hours.

I am trying to hit 200 miles this week for reasons. Mostly :tits: is out of town so I have a bit of extra time.

I set out to do a metric century on Wednesday after work - rode about 12 miles to a group ride meet up, did about 35 with the group, and the remaining to get back home. I was racing sunset so I decided to hop in the 'A Group' which turned out to be a fuckin' ass kicking. Just like your ride, there were several old dudes (complete with beer guts) who were just animals. Sitting front of the pack averaging 25 MPH or so NFG while I was struggling to keep up in the back at times. My one defense is that I was running a little late so I pushed pretty fast for the 12 miles down to the bike shop.

We wound up getting caught in some massive thunderstorms and got completely soaked, but overall it was quite a fun ride and I think my first ever metric century after work. I was also stoked to post up some [user not found]-esque numbers despite 25% of the ride being in a downpour/thunderstorm and 40% of it solo miles with no help from a peloton.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Shit man, that's scootin'. 21mph average means you're cruising at probably 23 easy. We only averaged 17, but in my defense the wind was pretty brutal today. I also haven't been on the bike at all in probably a month, felt good to get back out there.
Johnny_P

Faster than me. I can’t hang with A rides now. Nice work!

Group rides are fun. Also a good way to find some new routes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hit my 200 mile goal that I set for week for no real reason. Did 77 yesterday, 10 solo followed by a 37ish mile group ride that my buddy joined me on. I then convinced him to do some greenway miles with me. This guy caught us at a light on a road bike on our way to the greenway and mentioned he was new to CLT and on his first ride so he joined us and we showed him a few places which was super cool. He seems like a good dude, going to invite him to some other group rides and stuff.

Finally rounded it off with another 5-10 solo miles and by that point it felt like 100F so I called it quits.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:54 am Hit my 200 mile goal that I set for week for no real reason. Did 77 yesterday, 10 solo followed by a 37ish mile group ride that my buddy joined me on. I then convinced him to do some greenway miles with me. This guy caught us at a light on a road bike on our way to the greenway and mentioned he was new to CLT and on his first ride so he joined us and we showed him a few places which was super cool. He seems like a good dude, going to invite him to some other group rides and stuff.

Finally rounded it off with another 5-10 solo miles and by that point it felt like 100F so I called it quits.
Are you doing mostly road at this point?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:54 am Hit my 200 mile goal that I set for week for no real reason. Did 77 yesterday, 10 solo followed by a 37ish mile group ride that my buddy joined me on. I then convinced him to do some greenway miles with me. This guy caught us at a light on a road bike on our way to the greenway and mentioned he was new to CLT and on his first ride so he joined us and we showed him a few places which was super cool. He seems like a good dude, going to invite him to some other group rides and stuff.

Yeah I have been for quite some time. I really enjoy both but road is nice in that I can just walk out the door and go without driving anywhere.
Glans Hustaf
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Nothing Impressive

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:46 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:02 pm

Yeah I have been for quite some time. I really enjoy both but road is nice in that I can just walk out the door and go without driving anywhere.
That’s a big motivator for me. Being able to ride from my doorstop is super-important.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sack wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:46 pm

That’s a big motivator for me. Being able to ride from my doorstop is super-important.
It is for me too. MTBing is a whole ordeal that I just don't have time for with work and the 3 kids.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:21 am
Sack wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:55 pm

It is for me too. MTBing is a whole ordeal that I just don't have time for with work and the 3 kids.
:dat:

It's sad because there is a trail system a two mile ride away through neighborhood streets, but I just don't like it. It's many miles of super chunky terrain with huge roots, rocks, ups and downs, and I average like 6.5 MPH through it, it's just riding where I emerge more frustrated than fulfilled. Sure, if I went there twice a week I'm sure I could get better but at this point in my life I'm more about having fun and maintaining my fitness/health.

If we ever move locations, being a ride away from one of the really fun trail systems would be a legitimate priority for me, but I don't know that I could ever really get :tits: onboard with that.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:29 am

It's sad because there is a trail system a two mile ride away through neighborhood streets, but I just don't like it. It's many miles of super chunky terrain with huge roots, rocks, ups and downs, and I average like 6.5 MPH through it, it's just riding where I emerge more frustrated than fulfilled. Sure, if I went there twice a week I'm sure I could get better but at this point in my life I'm more about having fun and maintaining my fitness/health.

If we ever move locations, being a ride away from one of the really fun trail systems would be a legitimate priority for me, but I don't know that I could ever really get :tits: onboard with that.
The trails around me are like that too, and they suck. Really tight, chunky mostly rooty climbs, and yeah, I average about 6.5mph and leave thinking "I could just about run these this fast". Living in a place where I could ride to some amazing trails is one of those things I dream about. Brown County has some fantastic trails but that's a little over an hour away and if that was the only place I rode I might get there once a year. Maybe my favorite MTB YouTube channel is MTB yumyum (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjVKl ... IZtBd52lcQ) and he lives in SLC. Dude rides out his front door, hits the base of the mountains and has the best trails around SLC at his back door. It looks unreal.
Johnny_P

Two miles is pretty great. I’m 6 miles from Belmont. Which is why I don’t touch the mountain bike and instead just ride the gravel bike and end up under-biked there. Knobby MTB tires are so draggy on pavement.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:35 pm

Two miles is pretty great. I’m 6 miles from Belmont. Which is why I don’t touch the mountain bike and instead just ride the gravel bike and end up under-biked there. Knobby MTB tires are so draggy on pavement.
MTB gearing also blows on the mean streets. Two miles ain't shit :doe:

We have a pretty fun place like 9-10 miles away, but I really don't want to ride 18+ miles of road on my full squish just for 6 miles of fun. The best CLT area places are like 15-20 miles outside of town, so pretty much driving mandatory unless you have literally all day.