Gberg's Alpo Gorf with a bit of Plac Profit

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 pm My chariot for the next two weeks.

I’m not sure I can do it. I might have to call the enterprise near me to see if they can swap it out.

That happened to me too. Had to thug around a minivan while my Subaru was repaired. It wasn’t too bad. It had a great stereo and was massively comfortable.

Then again I don’t hate minivans so. I’d have bought a Toyota Sienna but she didn’t want the stigma of one.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:53 pm

I’m not sure I can do it. I might have to call the enterprise near me to see if they can swap it out.

That happened to me too. Had to thug around a minivan while my Subaru was repaired. It wasn’t too bad. It had a great stereo and was massively comfortable.

Then again I don’t hate minivans so. I’d have bought a Toyota Sienna but she didn’t want the stigma of one.
When I was in DC a few weeks ago, and our account director got one (a Pacifica) as a rental. Didn't ask for it, but it was "all they had". It was super comfy, quiet, and legit decent. Epic space, we fit 6 adults in the thing no problem to and from airport and out to dinner, etc.

It was even a hybrid, so we could park it in "hybrid" parking spaces...which I've never seen before.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

It’s not too bad. I just feel like I’m driving a bus.

I’m not sure what trim it is but it’s got power doors on both sides and remote start. Doesn’t have sirius so I’ll have to grab a cable but I think this is the new android uconnect system so that’s neat.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:58 pm

When I was in DC a few weeks ago, and our account director got one (a Pacifica) as a rental. Didn't ask for it, but it was "all they had". It was super comfy, quiet, and legit decent. Epic space, we fit 6 adults in the thing no problem to and from airport and out to dinner, etc.

It was even a hybrid, so we could park it in "hybrid" parking spaces...which I've never seen before.
Yeah. Full on party barge. I remember the one I had gobbled up bullshit roads with aplomb. But the transmission behavior and cornering ability were entirely unacceptable. They never could figure out that 9 speed. Should have just junked the design.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That thing is HOT
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Car got out of paint yesterday and they’re just waiting on a few more trim pieces. Should have it back sometime next week.

Panel gap looks yuge on the rear door but he assures me it’ll be fine once completed. It’s because there are currently no guts in the door and it’s just on the hinges. The door needed to be realigned because I needed a new hinge so we’ll see.
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You been in a rental this entire time ? It looks like they should be done this week, no?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:29 am You been in a rental this entire time ? It looks like they should be done this week, no?
I have been. The few trim pieces left are due to arrive to them on Monday and then they have to re-assemble.

Apparently the small piece of glass on the rear door can't be swapped so they got a new one which then has to be tinted.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Still in the minivan? :gag:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:52 pm Still in the minivan? :gag:
:eeyore: I am.

When I talked to him yesterday he was waiting on the R fender badge and a new piece of window trim that still hadn't shown up yet. The earliest they could get it in for tint is Thursday so my pickup date is now Friday. That'll be 4 weeks.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Picked it up yesterday and it looks perfect. Panel gap matches the other side and the color match is spot on.
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My usual VW :dillerman: said they'd only knock about $500 off my trade because of the current market. They also said it's not showing on the carfax anyway.

I guess I don't have a case for diminished value?
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:10 pm My usual VW :dillerman: said they'd only knock about $500 off my trade because of the current market. They also said it's not showing on the carfax anyway. Final repair cost from the body shop was a hair over $7k.

Maybe not right now but you will if you have to sell the car post-fucktardia car market. What kind of releases are your signing?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also it takes time for the Carfax to catch up. Straight up bro, I'm not paying top dollar for the Golf R most hated by opposing drivers on the East Coast.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:38 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:10 pm My usual VW :dillerman: said they'd only knock about $500 off my trade because of the current market. They also said it's not showing on the carfax anyway. Final repair cost from the body shop was a hair over $7k.

Maybe not right now but you will if you have to sell the car post-fucktardia car market. What kind of releases are your signing?
I'm assuming I have a certain amount of time to file before I can't. Not signing anything. That was just an informal call to my :dillerman: . The first time around he told me it would be about a $3k difference which is where I got my figure for the diminished value claim on the 2017.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:40 pm Also it takes time for the Carfax to catch up. Straight up bro, I'm not paying top dollar for the Golf R most hated by opposing drivers on the East Coast.
Technically it's the second most hated R in the north east. Funny enough I googled my old vin and found my 2017 for sale someplace outside Pittsburgh for $34k. It had only done 12 miles in the 2 years since I got rid of it. The site lists it as sold now so somebody bought it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:38 pm

I'm assuming I have a certain amount of time to file before I can't. Not signing anything. That was just an informal call to my :dillerman: . The first time around he told me it would be about a $3k difference which is where I got my figure for the diminished value claim on the 2017.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:40 pm Also it takes time for the Carfax to catch up. Straight up bro, I'm not paying top dollar for the Golf R most hated by opposing drivers on the East Coast.
Technically it's the second most hated R in the north east. Funny enough I googled my old vin and found my 2017 for sale someplace outside Pittsburgh for $34k. It had only done 12 miles in the 2 years since I got rid of it. The site lists it as sold now so somebody bought it.
That's right...........you have had such bad luck it's hard to keep up man!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Another autocross weekend at Bader field. The car needs a rear sway bar big time. Maybe I was overdriving or my pressures were wrong but on 2 runs coming out of the corner at 44 seconds I was plowing big time and went around the gate entirely.

Thinking about doing an H&R rear bar but forum bros all seem to do end links as well. The problem is most of the end links suck except for these Moog end links from rock auto for $16. Are they really necessary though? Back on my Mk6 I had front and rear bars with stock links and never had any problems from 2013 to 2017 when I traded it in for the first R. There was never any clunking but they eventually started squeaking because I hadn’t greased them in a while. That’s the main reason I’m looking at the H&R bar is because of the teflon bushings.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 am Another autocross weekend at Bader field. The car needs a rear sway bar big time. Maybe I was overdriving or my pressures were wrong but on 2 runs coming out of the corner at 44 seconds I was plowing big time and went around the gate entirely.

Thinking about doing an H&R rear bar but forum bros all seem to do end links as well. The problem is most of the end links suck except for these Moog end links from rock auto for $16. Are they really necessary though? Back on my Mk6 I had front and rear bars with stock links and never had any problems from 2013 to 2017 when I traded it in for the first R. There was never any clunking but they eventually started squeaking because I hadn’t greased them in a while. That’s the main reason I’m looking at the H&R bar is because of the teflon bushings.

I've always been a Hotchkis guy because of the zerk fittings where all you have to do is a couple of squirts of grease and good to go. Kind of like lifetime fill vs changing the fluid. Teflon may work doe. Hotchkis typically sends out end links if their engineer bros think you will bend the stockers. Dunno.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:04 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 am Another autocross weekend at Bader field. The car needs a rear sway bar big time. Maybe I was overdriving or my pressures were wrong but on 2 runs coming out of the corner at 44 seconds I was plowing big time and went around the gate entirely.

I've always been a Hotchkis guy because of the zerk fittings where all you have to do is a couple of squirts of grease and good to go. Kind of like lifetime fill vs changing the fluid. Teflon may work doe. Hotchkis typically sends out end links if their engineer bros think you will bend the stockers. Dunno.
Doesn't look like Hotchkis makes anything for the R but didn't they used to make APR's suspension components? I don't think they do now because the APR rear bar doesn't come with new brackets.

I remember I did buy new bushings for the rear that had a grease port on them but I'm not sure how well it worked. Don't remember who made it but I also wrapped the eibachs in teflon tape but they still ended up squeaking. H&R specifically says no lube or maintenance doe. Great if true but I'm skeptical. :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That looks like a good time!

I'd probably go with 034 for the rear bar. https://store.034motorsport.com/adjusta ... attro.html
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I used a bunch of Moog parts on my Corvette's suspension and had good luck even with regular track use, so nothing wrong with that.

I also would be comfortable keeping the stock ones on a newish car.

Glad to see you're out having fun with the :gorf: !
Johnny_P

That’s what my GTI used to do. I bet a rear sway bar or alignment with some more negative camber would help. Can you defeat stability control in the R?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:03 pm That looks like a good time!

I'd probably go with 034 for the rear bar. https://store.034motorsport.com/adjusta ... attro.html
I'm kind of mixed on 034 stuff. Some of their parts like intakes are comically overpriced but the sway bar pricing is in line with everything else. I just really want to set it and forget it and not have to chase squeaks and creaks.

My other concern about just doing the rear bar is that it may feel incomplete. I felt the same way with my Mk6 last time which is why I had the front and rear done at the same time. Of course doing both bars then pushes me out of a street class in autocross. Not a big deal but it's a lot in labor since the front requires dropping the subframe.

Dropping the subframe then means all new hardware and probably a deadset kit while I'm at it. Smallish job turns into a big job. Suspension mods have that domino effect.
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:30 pm I used a bunch of Moog parts on my Corvette's suspension and had good luck even with regular track use, so nothing wrong with that.

I also would be comfortable keeping the stock ones on a newish car.

Glad to see you're out having fun with the :gorf: !
So just out of curiosity I looked up the OE end links on the Mk6 and they were metal. Bizarre that Mk7's are plastic. I guess they're not under that much stress if they're plastic? Maybe I could just run the rear bar with the stock ones for a bit? If it starts clunking that means I need the Moogs but that's another part to grease.

$32 for both of them certainly beats the $140+ for superpro, 034, etc.
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:47 pm That’s what my GTI used to do. I bet a rear sway bar or alignment with some more negative camber would help. Can you defeat stability control in the R?
You can but I've been too much of a :pussy: to go full off. It was in ESC sport. There's another event July 3. I'm going to try upping my pressures a bit to 42-43 front and 45 rear and full esc off. I was rolling over the sidewall a lot at 40. Maybe a few extra psi will help.
Johnny_P

Yeah higher rear pressure was going to be my next suggestion. Also, I'd absolutely go full off in an autocross, its usually safe to do it at those events. That was probably the major culprit.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:17 pm Yeah higher rear pressure was going to be my next suggestion. Also, I'd absolutely go full off in an autocross, its usually safe to do it at those events. That was probably the major culprit.
I'll give it a shot.

I had no clue end links were such a hot topic in Mk7 land. :mindblown:

Tons of threads about sway bars and end links with no real consensus. I've gotta think I'd be okay to run a rear bar with the stock links especially at stock height. I have no plans on ever lowering it.