Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So any thoughts on what would be a decent "attainable" appreciating fun car to own ?

Focus RS?
Acura NSX?
300zx tt?
Supra Turbo? like so https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

A lot of car dudes are getting into the E46 M3 game. Frankly I hated that car which is clearly :wrong:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:20 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:16 pm

The main issue is accidents... They happen quite a bit. Also that's how most turo "superhosts" make money on the thing. If you're willing to throw the car away this is the way to go.

You also likely have to deal with getting to><from airports. It greatly increases your rental chances.
CLT is like 10 minutes from my house... I could easily drop the car and catch a cab back for $20... that sounds like a big waste of time :doe:

Maybe when I start traveling for work, I'll offer it up on days it would be sitting at the airport anyway.

Man, Beep Beeps are like $400+/day.
Where at ? Must be a regional blip, even hawaii has em at like $120 from national rentals at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm So any thoughts on what would be a decent "attainable" appreciating fun car to own ?

Focus RS?
Acura NSX?
300zx tt?

A lot of car dudes are getting into the E46 M3 game. Frankly I hated that car which is clearly :wrong:
I don't even look at these sorts of things, I think EVERYTHING is at a high right now and will stay there so appreciation will be stunted for a while.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:31 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm So any thoughts on what would be a decent "attainable" appreciating fun car to own ?

Focus RS?
Acura NSX?
300zx tt?

I don't even look at these sorts of things, I think EVERYTHING is at a high right now and will stay there so appreciation will be stunted for a while.
Possibly... but there are cars that continue to depreciate like my mini... others seem to keep value or go up (non 1-3 year old used cars) but more on the classic side.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:20 pm

CLT is like 10 minutes from my house... I could easily drop the car and catch a cab back for $20... that sounds like a big waste of time :doe:

Maybe when I start traveling for work, I'll offer it up on days it would be sitting at the airport anyway.

Man, Beep Beeps are like $400+/day.
Where at ? Must be a regional blip, even hawaii has em at like $120 from national rentals at the moment.
Tampa/St Pete.

I might just go carless for that trip. Miata RF for $300 for three days maybe would be OK.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm
Possibly... but there are cars that continue to depreciate like my mini... others seem to keep value or go up (non 1-3 year old used cars) but more on the classic side.
I think the ones you mentioned would be at worst "safe". We are definitely in a hot market, I don't think you'll see any short term gainz if bought right now, but I also don't think a 300ZX TT is going anywhere but up over the long haul. I would think an Elise would be flat to up, most Porsches. Maybe something from the tail end of the '90s era Japanese' trend that hasn't popped yet like an RSX-S, '06-'11 Si, etc. They are bound to be worth something over the long haul, but not exactly that amazing of a driving experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

I think it's too hard to predict with the current market right now since everything is so high and nothing really makes sense.

Frankly, I'm surprised that MINIs haven't started to pop a bit. Especially zillspec R53's.

ALSO, the trend is hot cars people couldn't afford as kids but wanted to and can now, usually a ~20 year gap. So things that were hot in the late-90's, early-00's for example, like Dan said.

RSX, Si, bug eye WRX, 3000GT, I wouldn't be surprised if pristine Preludes or Eclipses (if they even exist) started to pop.

Wild cards: SRT-4 Neon, Turbro Cobalt SS
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm
I think it's too hard to predict with the current market right now since everything is so high and nothing really makes sense.

Frankly, I'm surprised that MINIs haven't started to pop a bit. Especially zillspec R53's.

ALSO, the trend is hot cars people couldn't afford as kids but wanted to and can now, usually a ~20 year gap. So things that were hot in the late-90's, early-00's for example, like Dan said.

RSX, Si, bug eye WRX, 3000GT, I wouldn't be surprised if pristine Preludes or Eclipses (if they even exist) started to pop.

Preludes are already :waxer: for an actual nice one. R53s as well, a few have sold on BaT for more than new MSRP.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm

Preludes are already :waxer: for an actual nice one. R53s as well, a few have sold on BaT for more than new MSRP.
Ah shit, welp nm then.

I'm almost completely out of the market for these things now. Just too much insanity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is cool but it will likely go for $13-15K... :notsure: it's worth it. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000- ... lude-18-2/

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Ah shit, welp nm then.

I'm almost completely out of the market for these things now. Just too much insanity.
I do far less browsing these days as well... it is just sort of :disgust:

I think the fact that I want something (GR86) that isn't attainable now but should be pretty easily in a year helps me remain pretty :aintcare: about all of it. I like the BMcuckleU :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm
Ah shit, welp nm then.

I do far less browsing these days as well... it is just sort of :disgust:

I think the fact that I want something (GR86) that isn't attainable now but should be pretty easily in a year helps me remain pretty :aintcare: about all of it. I like the BMcuckleU :ohwell:
Yep, I've written off any and everything old. It's lunacy that defied any sort of reasonable logic these days.

If I want a fun car, it'll be a new BR86, GR Corolla, WRX, or some new electric thing that doesn't exist yet.
ChrisoftheNorth

I read some report that might be BS that the BR86 won't sell in Europe for more than 2 years due to emissions/efficiency regulations. If the BR86 ends up having a short production run because of .gov :bs: I'll maintain that buying a new one and treating it really well will pay dividends in 10-15 years. They might not ever really depreciate even.

I've got this stupid romantic idea of buying a new fun thing and babying it for 10 years because I believe this is peak ICE. Preserving the end of an era...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm I read some report that might be BS that the BR86 won't sell in Europe for more than 2 years due to emissions/efficiency regulations. If the BR86 ends up having a short production run because of .gov :bs: I'll maintain that buying a new one and treating it really well will pay dividends in 10-15 years. They might not ever really depreciate even.

I've got this stupid romantic idea of buying a new fun thing and babying it for 10 years because I believe this is peak ICE. Preserving the end of an era...
I mean, I don't think you are :wrong: I think Max's guesses are a bit fast tracked, but we will certainly see stuff like this dwindle over the coming decade. I think it will always be around as a niche thing, but it could become prohibitively expensive. Sports cars may become like horses, impractical toys for the rich.

I don't think I would baby it that much :doe: , would definitely see track time.
max225

My buddy is offering me a brand new 22 model S at 15k under the current sticker price. (he has like 6 cars on order)

I don't know if I should :doit: it is 88k OTD. But I have 0 interest in the car... I wonder if there is a way to drive it for 2 months and get my moneys worth?
max225

https://insideevs.com/news/552133/rivia ... fXqVmto37Y

Not surprisingly Rivian needs to be charged every 100-120 miles when towing. Completely as anticipated.
ChrisoftheNorth

Nothing like the BR86 will ever exist again, period. It will be the best attainable driver's car (new or used) from here on out. Within 10 years, sports cars will either be EV (which is OK) and/or reserved for the rich...we'll look back on the thing with amazement.

I'd take a BR86 to the track too, but I wouldn't mod it or do dirty errands with it or anything. Would just be for cruising around town and enjoying driving.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:25 pm https://insideevs.com/news/552133/rivia ... fXqVmto37Y

Not surprisingly Rivian needs to be charged every 100-120 miles when towing. Completely as anticipated.
Towing will always be the challenge for EVs. No way around it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm My buddy is offering me a brand new 22 model S at 15k under the current sticker price. (he has like 6 cars on order)

I don't know if I should :doit: it is 88k OTD. But I have 0 interest in the car... I wonder if there is a way to drive it for 2 months and get my moneys worth?
What does the pipeline look like the a Model S today? If you ordered one right now, how long would it take for delivery?

If they're still like 6+mos out, you probably could buy it and drive it for a few months and sell it without losing much. Also scratch that itch :iono:

Industry inventory is going to be challenged through Q1, but it's going to ease quickly by Q2. Now's the final call to make some :unicorn: moves IMO.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm My buddy is offering me a brand new 22 model S at 15k under the current sticker price. (he has like 6 cars on order)

Tesla's have been doing really well on C&B
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm

What does the pipeline look like the a Model S today? If you ordered one right now, how long would it take for delivery?

If they're still like 6+mos out, you probably could buy it and drive it for a few months and sell it without losing much. Also scratch that itch :iono:

Industry inventory is going to be challenged through Q1, but it's going to ease quickly by Q2. Now's the final call to make some :unicorn: moves IMO.
November 2022 :yikes:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:32 pm

checked... but there is only 1 2019+ Model S on there which was the :plaid: which was just about sticker.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:35 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:32 pm

checked... but there is only 1 2019+ Model S on there which was the :plaid: which was just about sticker.
Yeah I just checked and it appears the S does the worst of all models
max225

Apparently Matt is a Fraud :mindblown:

Whoa and they just took the video down.
max225

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/12/01/ ... -off-road/
A Hurricane man who runs a Youtube channel about off-road towing has been charged with a second-degree felony count of insurance fraud, according to court documents filed in late October.

Matthew Wetzel, 45, runs Matt’s Off-Road Recovery, a towing service in Hurricane. Its YouTube account has nearly 900,000 subscribers for videos that show the company towing, recovering and rescuing vehicles across southern Utah.

Wetzel’s company, Winder Towing, is an affiliate of AAA, court documents said, a national not-for-profit that provides emergency road services, insurance and other services to members. His company allegedly filed “numerous claims” that contained “material misrepresentations” to AAA from January 2019 to August 2020, fraud investigators from the state’s Insurance Department said in the documents.