:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Maybe drive a new :dedong: engine one and see if it was just the Turo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:25 pm
0/7 would get the bigger motor version over the base. The bigger motor is nice, but is sounds like a marvel of British and Indian Joint Engineering ( :flaccid: ), but the 18s and removal of creaky sunroof, and cooler white steelies just appeals to me. Who needs to drive that thing fast anyways?

The kessy passenger lock/unlock thing sounds like a failed module in the passenger handle, probably a first year part failure thing.... My R had the same thing and was replaced with no follow up issues.
:dat:

Very :butwhy: to me, more shit to break, more money, more fuel... and :whocares:

After living with a :jalepenis: :jeep: 2.0T for 27K miles, it is perfectly fine. It makes power from 1-3K RPMs like Max wants, it gets low-mid twenties MGPeez, and it has as much power as I would ever want/need in a dumb tent house tippy toppy vehicle. I'm sure the LR handles better so more power would be slightly more useful, but still meh.

I sort of get the V8 :jeep: because it's hilarious and sounds awesome, also a future collectible perhaps. Outside of that chasing power in cars like this is just :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:11 pm Drove the baby dick “base” model today. Worlds different of an experience than prior. I think it was far less beat up than the turo. Ride quality on 19s was way better.

The smaller engine and lack of options also made it seem a lot lighter on its feet…

I really didn’t hate it. Lots of thinking to do… it seems :wrong: to get the smaller engine and it does seem to work a lot harder. But at the same time I really enjoyed it for what it was … maybe the turo one was fucked !!? :iono:
I mean... I do think every Turo I've ever had (like 15ish) has been on mismatched :225:

They are almost always at least a little fucked, but it is still a sub two year old car, it's going to give you a sense of what it is.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sounds like the Defender is not as cool as it looks to me.

Edit: That locking/unlocking problem can probably be adjusted in some submenu buried deep somewhere.
Last edited by Desertbreh on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 am
Tarspin wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:25 pm
0/7 would get the bigger motor version over the base. The bigger motor is nice, but is sounds like a marvel of British and Indian Joint Engineering ( :flaccid: ), but the 18s and removal of creaky sunroof, and cooler white steelies just appeals to me. Who needs to drive that thing fast anyways?

The kessy passenger lock/unlock thing sounds like a failed module in the passenger handle, probably a first year part failure thing.... My R had the same thing and was replaced with no follow up issues.

Very :butwhy: to me, more shit to break, more money, more fuel... and :whocares:

After living with a :jalepenis: :jeep: 2.0T for 27K miles, it is perfectly fine. It makes power from 1-3K RPMs like Max wants, it gets low-mid twenties MGPeez, and it has as much power as I would ever want/need in a dumb tent house tippy toppy vehicle. I'm sure the LR handles better so more power would be slightly more useful, but still meh.

I sort of get the V8 :jeep: because it's hilarious and sounds awesome, also a future collectible perhaps. Outside of that chasing power in cars like this is just :butwhy:
100% this. But :member: one of the main reasons I sold the taco was that it had no balls, in particular in freeway driving. I wouldn’t want to make the same mistake on the defender. Granted it has a completely different power delivery and trans that makes things way better.

I really liked the base spec I drove yesterday a lot…

Just for shits and giggles the :dillerman: had a 20k markup on it … and told me they mark up special orders too and it would be here at the earliest in July. Epic weird experience but I expect nothing less from them
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Markup on orders? :disgust: :nope:

Feedback is :notbad: I'm not surprised by the tech crap, it's the biggest issue with modern vehicles to me. Reinventing things for the sake of reinventing, or to be more modern or whatever is just :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

The bare bones nature of the spec of my Jeep was just about perfect. If I could redo that, the only thing I would have added was automatic locks and windows.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:15 am

100% this. But :member: one of the main reasons I sold the taco was that it had no balls, in particular in freeway driving. I wouldn’t want to make the same mistake on the defender. Granted it has a completely different power delivery and trans that makes things way better.

Just for shits and giggles the :dillerman: had a 20k markup on it … and told me they mark up special orders too and it would be here at the earliest in July. Epic weird experience but I expect nothing less from them
:word:

I know it's not apples to apples, but the 2.0T Jeep does have pretty decent :balls: I don't recall ever wishing for more power in it.

Now handling on the highway is a different story and that's where I'm sure the Defender blows it out of the water.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

I know it's not apples to apples, but the 2.0T Jeep does have pretty decent :balls: I don't recall ever wishing for more power in it.

Now handling on the highway is a different story and that's where I'm sure the Defender blows it out of the water.
The only thing that makes the defender a less than 5/7 highway cruiser is windnoise. It does have some. But other than that this thing drives great.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:06 pm Victim in question is a 2021 Landrover Defender X-Dynamic 110.

Preface is that I am looking for a primary travel/utility vehicle for myself and my spouse. While I loved the Tacoma, it just didn't check all the boxes that I wanted at the moment. (Engine/Trans in particular) and back seat space and uniqueness.

That said lets start off with what this defender has.
~It has an MSRP of about ~90k which is much higher than the way I would build it.
3 rows of seats
Special AC for the 3rd row or dogs with a bigger compressor.
Moonroof
Air suspension
Updated Meridian stereo with 15 speakers
I6 "mild hybrid" twin turbo + supercharged @390hp
Some autonomous driving features (CC only to be fair)
Real Leather interior
Digital Dash
Digital Rear View mirror
(all above is optional over a base defender)

Lets get into the meat! I have a shit ton of thoughts here because I have been thinking about a defender even BEFORE a tacoma, but I didn't want to deal with first year issues with the least reliable brand on the market. I will try and separate it into likes and dislikes and then summarize my particular thoughts on it. I'll be comparing this with my Tacoma, and a GLE350 and wrangler. Mainly because this thing has elements of all 3 and i have experiences with all 3.

Good:
  • This thing looks fantastic- People STARE at it, and not in a disgusting way... It gets parked IN FRONT of fancy hotels by valets etc. Happened multiple times to me and it is a very interesting experience as this isn't a SPORTS CAR or a HYPERCAR, but it gets a lot of positive feedback. I did not expect that

The size is really good-It feels about the same size as wrangler, quite a bit shorter than my tacoma. But it is TALL, which creates issues at points, because it doesn't seem to clear a lot of parking garage issues without being lowered. It is about 6'5" tall but many times in 7' garages I was lowering it to not feel like I am squeezing in and about to ent the roof. You can easily fit a 6'10" person in the drivers seat. No headroom issues even with the moon roof.

The engine - This is almost not making the good list, but I did appreciate the ample power + it is incredibly smooth and quiet. You don't feel this thing at idle, at all...

Auto start stop - even though it turns "on" automatically, I HATE THIS FEATURE IN EVERY CAR. But in the defender it actually never turned the engine off... in the 400 miles I have had it.

Headlights - Excellent, but I can't say they are much better than tacoma LEDs but they are nice.

Camera quality - Unlike some other brands is excellent and super sharp.

Interior quality - Everything you touch feels/looks good. There is no corner cutting that is visible anywhere. This is a high quality vehicle. Far superior than anything toyota... However, MB interior quality is no worse, just perhaps a bit more boring. (more on this later). The Fridge inside the center console is a must have. It isn't a gimmick and actually works like a CHARM. MUST HAVE FEATURE!
Bad: Unfortunately this is a far longer list than I would have hoped.
  • Ergonomics- This is not what I expected... but it is FUCKING ANNOYING. Complete first world problems but let me list some things out that are unacceptable.

You can only LOCK the doors from the passenger size. You can not UNLOCK, this is a feature we use DAILY, thanks to the Zombies in the streets... It literally has a button on both sides, but on passenger size all it does it LOCK drivers side locks and unlocks ? :butwhy:

You can't adjust the fan speed without pushing a button first and then TURNING the adjustment ring... :wtf: why? Fan speed is something you adjust ALL THE TIME? (at least I do). This should be a single step control

You can't enter the car by just sliding your hand into the door handle... you have to push the button on the left first. Toyota has this figured out? Why can't LR?

The blind spots are pretty bad, and the blind spot monitor seems a bit spotty compared to toyota and MB. And the side view mirrors are VERTICAL instead of horizontal. Epicly bad combo.
  • Infotainment/Tech This is where it gets fun. You don't get to experience this unless you have the vehicle for a while and actually use... It MAYBE a deal breaker for me.

Driver assistance: Useless! Adaptive cruise is useless to me period because the vehicle always accelerates or brakes too fast and is too dumb to look past the vehicle in front.
    Lane keep assist: this feature shouldn't even be called that. It does NOTHING in the defender... like nothing. It changes some lane marking colors on the screen if you drive over a lane.... no steering wheel assist nothing. This whole thing is a BUST.

The digital dash: ah... Lets re-invent the wheel. Without going into huge details here... let me give you some examples of how it's just not done super well: 1. The distance to empty is TINY you can barely read it and it is sometimes replaced with the Trip distance, depending on the screen read out?! Like :butwhy: this is a CRUCIAL read out! And the clock... well that bitch is all the way in the bottom right corner in the same size 4 font... WHY CAN'T IT BE FRONT AND CENTER LIKE IN EVERY OTHER CAR! :yikes: I found most of the digital dash read outs to be pointless or just not well thought out...

Infotainment screen: Let me start with the highlights. You can't have a map direction + Music on the same screen unless you're using car play and you're using your PHONE to stream music. So ... say you want to change a song... while looking at the map (Constant thing you do while traveling). YOU CAN NOT. Why? There is NO FUCKING TUNING KNOB?! NONE.. You have to click out of carplay, click into sirius, change song, while rolling blind then click back into CarPlay. It can be circumvented while using the onboard nav... and having the map displayed on the dash. However. :butwhy: ?! This seems so simple... WHY IS THERE NO TUNE KNOB!?! And why doesn't the screen show mixed use map+ Music and you don't have to remove it from the default setting to change a song. Sigh.. this is not good, I have not encountered this in modern cars.

This vehicle, and it may have been an issue had some sort of automatic hill hold assist. Which would be great on hills, but it was on 70% of the time on FLAT ROADS. Causing a notable delay every time you hit the gas because the rear brakes are constantly engaging/disengaging. :wtf: seems like a complete software fluke
Drive:
Not much to say here, because this is a house, so it drives NICE. But it needs to have smaller than 20" wheels. It is :fullretard: to run em that big, I would get 19"s but I would prefer the 18"s unfortunately they only come with the smaller motor.
The brakes with FIXED 6 piston front calipers don't seem any better than my TACOMA DRUMS OMG OMG HOW HOW OMG. DRUMS! But that's as expected. I did wish they were a bit better. But large heavy ass vehicles stop like shit... shocking I know.
Handling is... as expected nothing to report period. That's not why anyone buys these things.
Engine- while mostly great has a weird "dead" spot between 2000-2500rpm... which is annoying AF. It seems to be right before the turbos fully kick in and kick ass... But the smaller motor may not have this (In my recollection) And may therefore be a better choice. because frankly I don't give a shit about any RPM above 3000 in a house. ALL THE POWER needs to be between 1000-3000. The torque peak comes on at 1500 in the smaller motor.... But I wonder if it is as smooth as the big boy 6.
There is SOME wind noise... but it is overall no where near jeep level, but it is no where near as quiet as a MB. Split down the middle.
Overal comfort level is HIGH, higher than most vehicles period.
I can hear the moon roof creak on driveways etc. :wtf: the tacoma and other vehicles seemed less "Flexible" Chassis doesn't seem too rigid.
MPG: As expected it is abysmal... or at least pretty bad. IT gets about 18 in my mixed use driving.. mostly chill highway cruising and some mountain driving. My tacoma got about 5-10% better, and the MB is 20-30% better. Calling this a hybrid is a joke. There is nothing hybrid about it. And it takes premium of course.

Final thoughts:
I am incredibly MIXED on this after the trip. I was hoping it would be a :fuckyeah: knock out but it left me with as much of a mixed bag going in as going out.
Yes it is great to look at, it has a great size, it is very decent to drive, it has a great stereo and great headlights. But it has so much half baked ergonomic shit in it that drives me up a wall that I am not sure I can commit unless I find some workarounds?!

This vehicle for the most part delivers on the premise but it also comes with a sense of fragility and complexity that is a bit of a turn off for me. It just seems "Over-engineered" in areas where it shouldn't be. This is certainly a "NEEDS WARRANTY AND SUPPORT" vehicle.

Now I am not sure how I will go on from here which is unfortunate, as I really wanted to purchase one. Do I get one without the moon roof and the big engine to keep things simple? Or do I just pass on it period? No idea. Lots of thinking to do, but I can't say I am ready to sign 70-80k of cold hard cash away on this thing as of yet.

Little late to the party, and it is :disappoint: that it didn't meet the expectations we were looking for the car, let alone costs more than the median annual salary for most Americans. The car looks great and atleast you knew what it felt like to drive, etc.

I feel like maybe, and only if maybe the 90 would be nicer (or easier to live with in comparison for that matter), though I haven't got around looking on the specs on what the 90 offers, wouldn't be surprising if it mostly specced to get the base engine.

And my accord knocks the lane keep assist out of the park and low key feels like a tesla for a moment until it asks me to hold the wheel.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm

The only thing that makes the defender a less than 5/7 highway cruiser is windnoise. It does have some. But other than that this thing drives great.
Since FE and reliability aren't being factored highly, I wonder if it isn't the right thing to pit this again the Bronco. They seem like very similar offerings IMO
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:31 pm

Since FE and reliability aren't being factored highly, I wonder if it isn't the right thing to pit this again the Bronco. They seem like very similar offerings IMO
FE is shit in this entire category. Nothing is significantly better or worse than anything else. 17-21MPG is basically the best anyone can expect. So I am essentially excluding it from this conversation, as it won't sway the buying decision. We're at $5.20 a gallon now and it is what it is. I am expecting it to be up to $7 a gallon soon enough.

I did think about the bronco. But I don't think it is available... Also the interior quality is not up to snuff. And the true curve ball is the woman's HATE for the bronco nameplate.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:19 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:06 pm Victim in question is a 2021 Landrover Defender X-Dynamic 110.

Preface is that I am looking for a primary travel/utility vehicle for myself and my spouse. While I loved the Tacoma, it just didn't check all the boxes that I wanted at the moment. (Engine/Trans in particular) and back seat space and uniqueness.

That said lets start off with what this defender has.
~It has an MSRP of about ~90k which is much higher than the way I would build it.
3 rows of seats
Special AC for the 3rd row or dogs with a bigger compressor.
Moonroof
Air suspension
Updated Meridian stereo with 15 speakers
I6 "mild hybrid" twin turbo + supercharged @390hp
Some autonomous driving features (CC only to be fair)
Real Leather interior
Digital Dash
Digital Rear View mirror
(all above is optional over a base defender)

Lets get into the meat! I have a shit ton of thoughts here because I have been thinking about a defender even BEFORE a tacoma, but I didn't want to deal with first year issues with the least reliable brand on the market. I will try and separate it into likes and dislikes and then summarize my particular thoughts on it. I'll be comparing this with my Tacoma, and a GLE350 and wrangler. Mainly because this thing has elements of all 3 and i have experiences with all 3.

Good:
  • This thing looks fantastic- People STARE at it, and not in a disgusting way... It gets parked IN FRONT of fancy hotels by valets etc. Happened multiple times to me and it is a very interesting experience as this isn't a SPORTS CAR or a HYPERCAR, but it gets a lot of positive feedback. I did not expect that

The size is really good-It feels about the same size as wrangler, quite a bit shorter than my tacoma. But it is TALL, which creates issues at points, because it doesn't seem to clear a lot of parking garage issues without being lowered. It is about 6'5" tall but many times in 7' garages I was lowering it to not feel like I am squeezing in and about to ent the roof. You can easily fit a 6'10" person in the drivers seat. No headroom issues even with the moon roof.

The engine - This is almost not making the good list, but I did appreciate the ample power + it is incredibly smooth and quiet. You don't feel this thing at idle, at all...

Auto start stop - even though it turns "on" automatically, I HATE THIS FEATURE IN EVERY CAR. But in the defender it actually never turned the engine off... in the 400 miles I have had it.

Headlights - Excellent, but I can't say they are much better than tacoma LEDs but they are nice.

Camera quality - Unlike some other brands is excellent and super sharp.

Interior quality - Everything you touch feels/looks good. There is no corner cutting that is visible anywhere. This is a high quality vehicle. Far superior than anything toyota... However, MB interior quality is no worse, just perhaps a bit more boring. (more on this later). The Fridge inside the center console is a must have. It isn't a gimmick and actually works like a CHARM. MUST HAVE FEATURE!
Bad: Unfortunately this is a far longer list than I would have hoped.
  • Ergonomics- This is not what I expected... but it is FUCKING ANNOYING. Complete first world problems but let me list some things out that are unacceptable.

You can only LOCK the doors from the passenger size. You can not UNLOCK, this is a feature we use DAILY, thanks to the Zombies in the streets... It literally has a button on both sides, but on passenger size all it does it LOCK drivers side locks and unlocks ? :butwhy:

You can't adjust the fan speed without pushing a button first and then TURNING the adjustment ring... :wtf: why? Fan speed is something you adjust ALL THE TIME? (at least I do). This should be a single step control

You can't enter the car by just sliding your hand into the door handle... you have to push the button on the left first. Toyota has this figured out? Why can't LR?

The blind spots are pretty bad, and the blind spot monitor seems a bit spotty compared to toyota and MB. And the side view mirrors are VERTICAL instead of horizontal. Epicly bad combo.
  • Infotainment/Tech This is where it gets fun. You don't get to experience this unless you have the vehicle for a while and actually use... It MAYBE a deal breaker for me.

Driver assistance: Useless! Adaptive cruise is useless to me period because the vehicle always accelerates or brakes too fast and is too dumb to look past the vehicle in front.
    Lane keep assist: this feature shouldn't even be called that. It does NOTHING in the defender... like nothing. It changes some lane marking colors on the screen if you drive over a lane.... no steering wheel assist nothing. This whole thing is a BUST.

The digital dash: ah... Lets re-invent the wheel. Without going into huge details here... let me give you some examples of how it's just not done super well: 1. The distance to empty is TINY you can barely read it and it is sometimes replaced with the Trip distance, depending on the screen read out?! Like :butwhy: this is a CRUCIAL read out! And the clock... well that bitch is all the way in the bottom right corner in the same size 4 font... WHY CAN'T IT BE FRONT AND CENTER LIKE IN EVERY OTHER CAR! :yikes: I found most of the digital dash read outs to be pointless or just not well thought out...

Infotainment screen: Let me start with the highlights. You can't have a map direction + Music on the same screen unless you're using car play and you're using your PHONE to stream music. So ... say you want to change a song... while looking at the map (Constant thing you do while traveling). YOU CAN NOT. Why? There is NO FUCKING TUNING KNOB?! NONE.. You have to click out of carplay, click into sirius, change song, while rolling blind then click back into CarPlay. It can be circumvented while using the onboard nav... and having the map displayed on the dash. However. :butwhy: ?! This seems so simple... WHY IS THERE NO TUNE KNOB!?! And why doesn't the screen show mixed use map+ Music and you don't have to remove it from the default setting to change a song. Sigh.. this is not good, I have not encountered this in modern cars.

This vehicle, and it may have been an issue had some sort of automatic hill hold assist. Which would be great on hills, but it was on 70% of the time on FLAT ROADS. Causing a notable delay every time you hit the gas because the rear brakes are constantly engaging/disengaging. :wtf: seems like a complete software fluke
Drive:
Not much to say here, because this is a house, so it drives NICE. But it needs to have smaller than 20" wheels. It is :fullretard: to run em that big, I would get 19"s but I would prefer the 18"s unfortunately they only come with the smaller motor.
The brakes with FIXED 6 piston front calipers don't seem any better than my TACOMA DRUMS OMG OMG HOW HOW OMG. DRUMS! But that's as expected. I did wish they were a bit better. But large heavy ass vehicles stop like shit... shocking I know.
Handling is... as expected nothing to report period. That's not why anyone buys these things.
Engine- while mostly great has a weird "dead" spot between 2000-2500rpm... which is annoying AF. It seems to be right before the turbos fully kick in and kick ass... But the smaller motor may not have this (In my recollection) And may therefore be a better choice. because frankly I don't give a shit about any RPM above 3000 in a house. ALL THE POWER needs to be between 1000-3000. The torque peak comes on at 1500 in the smaller motor.... But I wonder if it is as smooth as the big boy 6.
There is SOME wind noise... but it is overall no where near jeep level, but it is no where near as quiet as a MB. Split down the middle.
Overal comfort level is HIGH, higher than most vehicles period.
I can hear the moon roof creak on driveways etc. :wtf: the tacoma and other vehicles seemed less "Flexible" Chassis doesn't seem too rigid.
MPG: As expected it is abysmal... or at least pretty bad. IT gets about 18 in my mixed use driving.. mostly chill highway cruising and some mountain driving. My tacoma got about 5-10% better, and the MB is 20-30% better. Calling this a hybrid is a joke. There is nothing hybrid about it. And it takes premium of course.

Final thoughts:
I am incredibly MIXED on this after the trip. I was hoping it would be a :fuckyeah: knock out but it left me with as much of a mixed bag going in as going out.
Yes it is great to look at, it has a great size, it is very decent to drive, it has a great stereo and great headlights. But it has so much half baked ergonomic shit in it that drives me up a wall that I am not sure I can commit unless I find some workarounds?!

This vehicle for the most part delivers on the premise but it also comes with a sense of fragility and complexity that is a bit of a turn off for me. It just seems "Over-engineered" in areas where it shouldn't be. This is certainly a "NEEDS WARRANTY AND SUPPORT" vehicle.

Now I am not sure how I will go on from here which is unfortunate, as I really wanted to purchase one. Do I get one without the moon roof and the big engine to keep things simple? Or do I just pass on it period? No idea. Lots of thinking to do, but I can't say I am ready to sign 70-80k of cold hard cash away on this thing as of yet.

Little late to the party, and it is :disappoint: that it didn't meet the expectations we were looking for the car, let alone costs more than the median annual salary for most Americans. The car looks great and atleast you knew what it felt like to drive, etc.

I feel like maybe, and only if maybe the 90 would be nicer (or easier to live with in comparison for that matter), though I haven't got around looking on the specs on what the 90 offers, wouldn't be surprising if it mostly specced to get the base engine.

And my accord knocks the lane keep assist out of the park and low key feels like a tesla for a moment until it asks me to hold the wheel.
There are no cost savings going with a 90. And it would cut out the utility factor. 4 doors and ample space are key.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 am Sounds like the Defender is not as cool as it looks to me.

Edit: That locking/unlocking problem can probably be adjusted in some submenu buried deep somewhere.
The CRV is like this. There are about 10 separate settings for unlocking the thing. And all linked to individual keys so if you grab the wrong key the car acts weird. Lol. Ugh.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:41 am Sounds like the Defender is not as cool as it looks to me.

The CRV is like this. There are about 10 separate settings for unlocking the thing. And all linked to individual keys so if you grab the wrong key the car acts weird. Lol. Ugh.
I have noticed that similarity with my accord and the hrv rental too. Like I unlock my driver door keyless, but only the driver door, then I had to manually use the remote or unlock on the door panel. The other key, does not seem to lock when you lock keyless on driver, but will on passenger side, weird.

But I'm used to VW's so :lolol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

I don’t think I’d get the terrorist spec steel wheels but otherwise yeah the base motor seems perfectly adequate for something like this. I’d be happy with it. They look cool, are unique, can handle mall curbs with ease. Only downside is dirty watermelons ride in the same compartment as you.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:33 pm

I have noticed that similarity with my accord and the hrv rental too. Like I unlock my driver door keyless, but only the driver door, then I had to manually use the remote or unlock on the door panel. The other key, does not seem to lock when you lock keyless on driver, but will on passenger side, weird.

But I'm used to VW's so :lolol:
Setup time on this Honda is mind blowing.

Unlock it and grab baby. Go to open door and it’s re locked itself for safety. Wtf. Find that setting and change it to like 30 sec from 5?

Then keyless access on driver side only opens that specific door. But passenger side opens all of them. Another setting.

Unlock car and the seat starts adjusting itself wtf. Another buried setting.

Lock the car and the headlights stay on for 5 mins? Another setting to adjust to a more reasonable 15 seconds or something.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:37 pm I don’t think I’d get the terrorist spec steel wheels but otherwise yeah the base motor seems perfectly adequate for something like this. I’d be happy with it. They look cool, are unique, can handle mall curbs with ease. Only downside is dirty watermelons ride in the same compartment as you.
That was a surprising revelation about pick up trucks. I found the separation between take out food and passengers to be quite Lavish. No smelly shit inside the cabin and mine still had the new car smell when the new owner rode off with it. Throw in a few loads of thai curry monthly and that "new" feeling wears off quick.

The flip side is, if it rains hard or if its gets dusty af the luggage and whatever may be in the bed may get wet. No cargo cover is water proof.
Johnny_P

I just built one of these up. Brown with beige interior, base motor but the better trim of it, nicer sound system and leather and 5-spoke killer looking 19s. Fog lights, off road differential, and a tow hitch.

$60,310. Not bad for a unique vehicle that will check every box. Yeah man go for it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I shouldn't log into dfd today, tempted to fuck around on the build and price on LR site.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm I shouldn't log into dfd today, tempted to fuck around on the build and price on LR site.
:doit:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:59 pm I just built one of these up. Brown with beige interior, base motor but the better trim of it, nicer sound system and leather and 5-spoke killer looking 19s. Fog lights, off road differential, and a tow hitch.

$60,310. Not bad for a unique vehicle that will check every box. Yeah man go for it.
Yea my build is around 63.2 or 64.8 Depending on some color crap(white contrast) and whether I want a moonroof... not THAT much more than the tacoma. :yikes:

The big dick engine build is 73-74 depending on white contrast roof or not.
The only difference is the engine + cooled seats + 19" wheels vs steelies.

Options are (big motor) Defender SE
Air suspension $1600
Off Road $1550
Comfort and Convenience ( Fridge in center console) $900
Digital rearview mirror $450

Options (small motor) Defender S
Blue $710
White roof $1000
Premium LED lights $400
fog lights $200 (packaged with above)
Off road pack $1550
Comfort and convenience $900
Air suspension $1600
Mirror $450

The bigger motor gets you color $710 + Moonroof $1800 + lights $600 standard.
Johnny_P

I have a hard time with 2 cylinders equaling a $10k up charge.

You goin for the White Claw cooler?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:48 pm I have a hard time with 2 cylinders equaling a $10k up charge.

You goin for the White Claw cooler?
yea it actually works REALLY well, like it's like sub 40F cool. And it adds interior lighting for night time flexing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:21 pm

FE is shit in this entire category. Nothing is significantly better or worse than anything else. 17-21MPG is basically the best anyone can expect. So I am essentially excluding it from this conversation, as it won't sway the buying decision. We're at $5.20 a gallon now and it is what it is. I am expecting it to be up to $7 a gallon soon enough.

I did think about the bronco. But I don't think it is available... Also the interior quality is not up to snuff. And the true curve ball is the woman's HATE for the bronco nameplate.
Roger that... It makes sense that the Bronco idea be put to rest then. I personally really like the Bronco, and I think it'll have a good run in the segment. I saw one at the kid's school and was impressed with it's presence. The hard panel sectional roof looks dece, as does the general fit and finish. The styling is 5/7, :woodplow: if I were looking for an unreliable gas guzzling fun thing.

Owning a shared vehicle that the :tits: dislikes is a recipe for premature :plac: , it's great if you find something that you both like. In her case it needs to have a more prestigious brand presence - probably something imported = expensive. *cough* MB G class *cough*