:wrong: Soviet car reviews

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Or a snorkeling trip in Belieze with a 3 night stay at one of those little cabanas over the water 🥰

I mean max isn’t going to keep it past warranty anyway. You dump these right before that happens because they will ruin you. And if you are keeping it, no fancy things like air suspension or the center console White Claw cooler box, or literally any of the off road stuff lol.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yo, don't forget to take care of the master technician at the local dealership too.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Quick write up on the TURO of DOOM!

I briefly "enjoyed" the company of a Porsche Boxster (NON S) :triggered:
Vehicle had 45k miles, and was meticulously abused.
Even with all that and all the SHITTING I can do it. There were some GOOD thing about it.

Let's start with the good:
  • The size was great. Good headroom/legroom even for someone who comes in at a 1/8th of a ton.
    Front visibility was good
    The car had excellent steering
    The car had excellent brakes/brake feel
    The engine note at points was entertaining.
    The top operated fairly easily and flawlessly (up and down in like 15 seconds)
    Overall handling and lightness was good.
    The suspension was decent on the BASE :triggered: 18" wheels. But it was still a bit firm, going 19" + makes the ride PUNISHING. I would not go that big, and spec the smallest wheels I could here
    The base seats with no power front/back were easy to adjust and fairly comfortable
    Throttle mapping makes the 2.7 adjustable in DD traffic
    The amount of space in the frunk/trunk is :impressive: The frunk is 2x the size in my tessie. And it fits like 2/3 carry on bags. The trunk can fit another 2-3 carry ons. Just cavernous for a sports car!
    Trans/shifter/clutch are good.

The bad
  • The tech level of this vehicle is unacceptable.
    The base touch screen is USELESS. Like it has a 320x240 res, its not even acceptable in a Hyundai
    Base stereo is like D-
    There is no bluetooth
    No keyless, no pushbutton start
    There is no backup camera
    The Blindspots with the top up are completely NOT ok. You can't see shit behind you especially with the air screen up. Without blindspots you're rolling blind.
    Obviously the above can be addressed with later/more loaded models.
    The ride is harsh even on the 18"s... Unfortunately current models require wheels that are way too big.
    There is no POWER in the 2.7. Don't lied to by the people that say "it's ok" no it's a god damn joke. It's SLOW Like actually SLOW for a sports car.
    Headlights are weak (once again base model issue?)
    MPG was like 21-22. 3k lb vehicle with a sub camry motor... that's PATHETIC.
    Interior buttons feel cheap compared to things like a mini or BMW. Not even comparing it to an audi, which this car technically trumps from a badge perspective.
    Interior storage is lacking. No where to put a phone, or a drink (the cupholders are weird AF) or a wallet.

Overall conclusion. This thing should technically not be a porsche IMO. It is only a Porsche in badging. COME AT ME. A GT86 is a far better option... There is nothing in this to justify double the price.

A porsche needs to have some power. Also I am :notsure: If the :manuel: is really the way to go. It's nice but the DSG is just so damn good.
max225

POS in question.

Johnny_P

It’s not exactly slow it’s just the same speed as a GTI nowadays, so it doesn’t stand out. Especially for the price.

Porsche electronics have always been well behind the curve too. The 2009 cayman refresh included a screen that rivaled a game boy.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My turo rental had 30k miles and still smelled amazing, and even had 4 brand new OEM Pirelli tires. Mine was a "base" but with the Black Edition package, which had heated/vented seats (can both be on simultaneously :notbad: ) adjustable suspension, the fancy 14 or 18 way power seats, the BOSE (which fucking rocked), and obviously mine was PDK as mentioned which just adds to the drivability. It also had 20" wheels which over some pavement was busy, but never seemed unacceptable, maybe because of the adjustable suspension. I agree with your statement that the size and forward visibility is perfect. On canyon roads that made it very fun, much more so than I imagine a brubtub would be. I never noticed the rearward visibility being a problem, but I'm just under 6ft so I think sitting farther forward is beneficial there. My mpg was about 27 @90mph in the PDK, which may or may not have better cruising rpm in top gear due to there being a 7th.

Power: I, like you also complained heavily how slow it was at first, saying it was unacceptable for the price, until I realized that the base price was like $52k when the 981.1 was on sale, and then honestly it was very reasonable. It's rated at 270hp, but like the first gen BRZ the low torque figure is what you notice ALL the time, and the power build is so linear it doesn't really feel like it's accelerating, but the numbers do increase at a reasonably quick pace. Overall I was actually left wanting a Boxster, but I wouldn't want one as an only car even though it's perfectly capable of being a daily. I loved the top operation and how well insulated it was. I think I'd rather have a 991.1 C2 S, but I think the Boxster looks much better than the 911 cab. Also PDK vs manual got significantly more confusing for me after my rental. For the lower power cars PDK is what I'd get for sure. It was nice to set it in auto and comfort mode in the early morning or in LA traffic.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:09 pm It’s not exactly slow it’s just the same speed as a GTI nowadays, so it doesn’t stand out. Especially for the price.

Porsche electronics have always been well behind the curve too. The 2009 cayman refresh included a screen that rivaled a game boy.
Yes it’s slow for a “sports” car that costs 60k+
213 lb feet of torque is pathetic as well. This car is a joke from a straight line perspective.

At 27-32k for a 2800lb sports car that’s perfectly fine.
At 65-80k for a 3100lb badge car that’s perfectly terrible, you should have your man card revoked for even considering it.

I’m having more fun in turbo camaro convertible at the moment.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:21 pm My turo rental had 30k miles and still smelled amazing, and even had 4 brand new OEM Pirelli tires. Mine was a "base" but with the Black Edition package, which had heated/vented seats (can both be on simultaneously :notbad: ) adjustable suspension, the fancy 14 or 18 way power seats, the BOSE (which fucking rocked), and obviously mine was PDK as mentioned which just adds to the drivability. It also had 20" wheels which over some pavement was busy, but never seemed unacceptable, maybe because of the adjustable suspension. I agree with your statement that the size and forward visibility is perfect. On canyon roads that made it very fun, much more so than I imagine a brubtub would be. I never noticed the rearward visibility being a problem, but I'm just under 6ft so I think sitting farther forward is beneficial there. My mpg was about 27 @90mph in the PDK, which may or may not have better cruising rpm in top gear due to there being a 7th.

Power: I, like you also complained heavily how slow it was at first, saying it was unacceptable for the price, until I realized that the base price was like $52k when the 981.1 was on sale, and then honestly it was very reasonable. It's rated at 270hp, but like the first gen BRZ the low torque figure is what you notice ALL the time, and the power build is so linear it doesn't really feel like it's accelerating, but the numbers do increase at a reasonably quick pace. Overall I was actually left wanting a Boxster, but I wouldn't want one as an only car even though it's perfectly capable of being a daily. I loved the top operation and how well insulated it was. I think I'd rather have a 991.1 C2 S, but I think the Boxster looks much better than the 911 cab. Also PDK vs manual got significantly more confusing for me after my rental. For the lower power cars PDK is what I'd get for sure. It was nice to set it in auto and comfort mode in the early morning or in LA traffic.
Mine had vented seats also, which was the fanciest feature on this car. That’s about the only nice thing I could say. The top was quick yep. But it was loud from the rear 3/4 panel.

You can hear all kinds of traffic noise and I felt like there was some sort of gap at all times even though there wasn’t.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That's interesting yours was so loud. Again I wonder if that's because your head is much closer to that part of the top due to height, or if everything on that specific car is just that poor.
max225

I know this is going to be all :wrong: but this really made me appreciate my JCW! It is the better sporty car imo. More usable power. Similar braking. Way more space inside, more tech and more utility.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: at 1/2 the price of a Boxster. I can’t possibly recommend that car to anyone. At $15k Maybe at 35-45k used fuck no.
Johnny_P

Cayman S was the best car I’ve ever driven. But I could see how it would blow with less power.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:19 pm Cayman S was the best car I’ve ever driven. But I could see how it would blow with less power.
Yea take out 35% of the engine, brakes, and add a shitty option less interior that rivals a Mitsubishi Mirage and get back to me

:lolgasm:

Mind you I drove a GT3 911 and a 981 S before this pile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:30 pm I know this is going to be all :wrong: but this really made me appreciate my JCW! It is the better sporty car imo. More usable power. Similar braking. Way more space inside, more tech and more utility.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong: at 1/2 the price of a Boxster. I can’t possibly recommend that car to anyone. At $15k Maybe at 35-45k used fuck no.
I imagine that the JCW is one of the most underrated performance cars on the market. It's really a great package.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:35 am
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:30 pm I know this is going to be all :wrong: but this really made me appreciate my JCW! It is the better sporty car imo. More usable power. Similar braking. Way more space inside, more tech and more utility.

I imagine that the JCW is one of the most underrated performance cars on the market. It's really a great package.
:dat:

I would love to take one for a spin and try it out.
max225

So this is an impromptu review of the 2021 Camaro CONVERTIBLE rental I have.

It has 25k ROUGH AF miles, it has the 2.0T and the 8 speed auto.

While some may go out and say :whocares: this thing is an absolute pile, I like to see the good and the bad in every vehicle. Just like the POS poorsche had it's BAD attributes this "pos camero" has it's good attributes.

Lets start with what is good.
  • Ergonomics in this car are great. Everything is where you expect it and easy to use. Turn signals/door locks/etc etc
    Headlights are LEDs/HIDs and work great
    Ride quality is excellent. A huge difference between this and the porsche.
    I really LOVE the ATS/Camero chassis ever since it came out back in 2012 or what not.
    2.0T is a nice engine, plenty of power, some wooshy noises
    I have averaged up to 35mpg in this thing... which is INSANE
    Currently I have 450 miles on the gas tank and I have another 100 miles to go. This is a longer range than my TDI golf!
    The GM baby dick screen is very sharp and Carplay integration is really really good and lightning fast. The GM UI is excellent.
    Rear backup camera is great quality
    Seats are comfortable

Lets start with what is NOT good.
  • VISIBILITY and the SHAPE OF THE DOOR PANELS/DASH ETC. I am going to go on a rant here but they literally DESTROY an other wise amazing vehicle.
    You are literally BLIND without the rear camera,
    You're also severely compromised by the pill box windshield/long ass hood. I literally feel like I am about to hit something every 5 min when pulling in/out of places.
    This car is increadibly hard to park because you can't see shit over the door panels. I am a tall AF guy and I am still unable to see clearly over the dash. :wtf: gm. The entire glass structure needs to be lowered 6" and the car would be god damn perfect. We all joke about visibility etc here but it is THAT BAD. Like it RUINS the car
    GM 8 speed is a SHITBOX. It is only acceptable for a truck or SUV maybe. It gave me toyota 6 speed auto vibes. 2 seconds before downshifts... paddles are useless because there 1 second lag between input and shift. Also the trans forgot to shift 3x... just got hung up in 1st gear and slipped. :wtf:
    I believe this is the same unit in a C7? Holy crap... what a joke.
    Infotainment screen is angled at the floor. :wtf: why? Who made that call?
    This is the smallest trunk I have ever seen ( granted its the convertible), but it can only fit 2 grocery bags inside. The Frunk of the poorsche is 4x the size.
Overall I think this car is indicative of how great american car makers CAN make cars but it just falls apart in the details. I still think at 36k... this thing can be had with a V8 and a manual. And it would be an absolute riot, if you can handle the lack of visibility. Which IMO is downright dangerous. I also think this thing with the 2.slow and a manual would be an absolute riot and quite economical. I didn't wish for OMG I NEED WAY MORE power here. But it does not sound good... which sucks.
I think if it wasn't for the downright dangeorus cockpit arrangement this car would be a knock out success. A real shame.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Randy Pobst has a 2.0T 1LE package Camaro, so I'd assume you to be correct about it being fun even if it doesn't sound good. I believe the screen being pointed down is so you don't get glare because of the steeply raked windshield, or the relatively high up side/rear glass.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 pm Randy Pobst has a 2.0T 1LE package Camaro, so I'd assume you to be correct about it being fun even if it doesn't sound good. I believe the screen being pointed down is so you don't get glare because of the steeply raked windshield, or the relatively high up side/rear glass.
I think it is a really under rated chassis. It blends ride comfort/performance in an unmatched way. I can totally see a :manuel: camero as a complete riot.

36K for a legendary small block + manual in a brand new car... Who says value is dead.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:02 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:55 pm Randy Pobst has a 2.0T 1LE package Camaro, so I'd assume you to be correct about it being fun even if it doesn't sound good. I believe the screen being pointed down is so you don't get glare because of the steeply raked windshield, or the relatively high up side/rear glass.
I think it is a really under rated chassis. It blends ride comfort/performance in an unmatched way. I can totally see a :manuel: camero as a complete riot.

36K for a legendary small block + manual in a brand new car... Who says value is dead.
I don't think the chassis is underrated at all. Most know the chassis is epic, but the body on top just blows. No windows, feels too small, barely usable trunk, it's just not a great car. A Mustang is more usable.

My favorite gen 6 was a V6 1LE with :manuel: Insanely well balanced. Just enough power to be fun, but you could really hammer on it without feeling you're going to die. Sounded fantastic, insane handling, and I think it was $30k MSRP. Incredible value. 4 bangers are surprisingly great too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

I rented an SS of this gen. It was a blast with the 10 speed auto (which was super responsive and a benchmark transmission IMO)

Agree on basically everything you said. The gauge hood thickness is retarded and you really can’t see anything out of it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

5/7 review, would read again.

I always come back to the Camaro thinking it is really the car I SHOULD want, it checks all of the boxes for me. Usable/really fun on track, pretty much C5/C6 Corvette level but more comfy/less scrape for daily but still offers a back seat. It is a great 'only car' for someone who like to track from time to time. They seem to be a little bit more sports car than a Mustang which is cool. All of that said, I just can't ever get past the tank vibe. :disappoint:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:00 pm 5/7 review, would read again.

I always come back to the Camaro thinking it is really the car I SHOULD want, it checks all of the boxes for me. Usable/really fun on track, pretty much C5/C6 Corvette level but more comfy/less scrape for daily but still offers a back seat. It is a great 'only car' for someone who like to track from time to time. They seem to be a little bit more sports car than a Mustang which is cool. All of that said, I just can't ever get past the tank vibe. :disappoint:
No amount of power and handling can compensate for that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:00 pm 5/7 review, would read again.

That really is the main issue. Tank vibes suck… rest is :fuckyeah:
max225

One of the worlds most useless trunks
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:51 pm Image

Oh wow. That's pathetic. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:51 pm Image

:lolol: That is Miata-spec in a huge car. Pretty poor although I think it's decent in the non 'vert.