Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Installed a mod in the taco...
DS18 tweeters went in and provided a solid 50%+ improvement to the sound quality/clarity. Solid $80 spent.

Also amazon lost my dash cam + speakers by delivering to the wrong address... and now my neighbor dropped them off. So I have 2 dash cams and 2 sets of speakers.... :wtf: to do with those.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm Installed a mod in the taco...
DS18 tweeters went in and provided a solid 50%+ improvement to the sound quality/clarity. Solid $80 spent.

Also amazon lost my dash cam + speakers by delivering to the wrong address... and now my neighbor dropped them off. So I have 2 dash cams and 2 sets of speakers.... :wtf: to do with those.
Do the tweeters fit a 4R? The stock audio leaves a lot of room for improvement. I'll buy them off you.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:03 pm Installed a mod in the taco...

Do the tweeters fit a 4R? The stock audio leaves a lot of room for improvement. I'll buy them off you.
I believe they do. I was going to get the kickers but apparently the DS are even better. Best part is they are plug and play.

Do you have the jbl system tho ?
ChrisoftheNorth

:balls: no JBL.

But good to know the improvement is there. There's plug and play tweeters for non-JBL 4R's, I might try these that many report work on non-JBL trucks: https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Replacement ... 5565&psc=1
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:31 pm :balls: no JBL.

But good to know the improvement is there. There's plug and play tweeters for non-JBL 4R's, I might try these that many report work on non-JBL trucks: https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Replacement ... 5565&psc=1
Bro! These are the same ones I got … only works with non jbl.

also if you wanted a plug and play dash cam into your mirror let me know.
max225

Let me know what I got works perfectly for your truck too… plug and play dash cam (plugs into mirror) viofoA139 epic quality … adapter for mirror and the ds18 speakers at 20% off Amazon
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:31 pm :balls: no JBL.

Bro! These are the same ones I got … only works with non jbl.

also if you wanted a plug and play dash cam into your mirror let me know.
I don't think I drive enough to necessitate a dashcam, but I should probably consider it more than I do ATM.

Once I'm done with the S10 fixes, I'll probably try these tweeters out in the 4R. Would be a good upgrade to do in the spring. :tits: has asked if I can make the audio system better (it's THAT bad that even she notices) so been debating a whole speaker upgrade from OEM Audi Plus, but I'd rather start with easy changes and work from there. The thing actually has decent bass, I think it's just the tweeters that could use some upgrading.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

A dashcam is a must. Doesn’t matter how often you drive, all it takes is one drive to end up needing it.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:13 am A dashcam is a must. Doesn’t matter how often you drive, all it takes is one drive to end up needing it.
K. Why?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:41 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:13 am A dashcam is a must. Doesn’t matter how often you drive, all it takes is one drive to end up needing it.
K. Why?
if you live in a place with too many poors/scammers/human filth
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:41 am
K. Why?
Right, but what does it do for you? Someone hits you to make it look like your fault, but you have dashcam footage showing otherwise and you get off?

Where I live, we have the scam "no fault" insurance. So regardless of who hits me and their intentions, my insurance will always just cover me, and theirs covers them. The most I can do is sue the other person's insurance to pay my deductible ($500 so kind of :whocares: ). So unless the other person manages to do something to me to make it look like I did something illegal and I risk court/jail time (which there would be zero monetary benefit for them), I don't see the point of a dashcam.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:12 am

Right, but what does it do for you? Someone hits you to make it look like your fault, but you have dashcam footage showing otherwise and you get off?

Where I live, we have the scam "no fault" insurance. So regardless of who hits me and their intentions, my insurance will always just cover me, and theirs covers them. The most I can do is sue the other person's insurance to pay my deductible ($500 so kind of :whocares: ). So unless the other person manages to do something to me to make it look like I did something illegal and I risk court/jail time (which there would be zero monetary benefit for them), I don't see the point of a dashcam.
most states dont have that and its a fight to figure out who pays. Common scam is people just backing into you to make it looke like rear end. or tossing their person in front of the car.

in east tn most people arent shitheads so its not an issue i concern myself with.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:20 am

most states dont have that and its a fight to figure out who pays. Common scam is people just backing into you to make it looke like rear end. or tossing their person in front of the car.

in east tn most people arent shitheads so its not an issue i concern myself with.
Ah, that's an interesting case I could see being a concern in a large city or something. I live in an area similar to yours, I've never heard of such a thing here and haven't seen any behavior like that. Sure, it's still possible, but overall the risk seems low for me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: I have no plans for a dashcam and somehow I'm not even dead.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:40 am

:dat: I have no plans for a dashcam and somehow I'm not even dead.
It also allows for some cool footage of :fullretard: s. Cam isn’t going to save you from anything clearly but it’s a nice to have
max225

Somehow I am nearing 1000 miles on the :taco:

I already did some modding...
DS18 Front tweeters
Dashcam
Mudflaps ($20 off Craigslist)

I scored a $1200 bedcover for $650 which is epic... however two of the damn T30 screws were not coming out one side and got STRIPPED! :rage: I ended up going over to my buddies and managed to extract em out through some major toolage. I HATE that some factory fucks do this... there must have been 50lb feet on a screw that requires 12.

Another funny story, I also ordered a bedmat + 4 replacement screws from a local dealer... online you get redirected to their site from toyota parts.com... and there is a solid 20-25% discount off retail... there is free shipping on shit that will cost likely $50-100 to ship... I figured I'd pick it up instead as the dealer is 10 min away...
I call the parts department and they tell me that "its cheaper online and it bypasses our site" :fullretard: it will be cheaper to fucking ship the products to my house than pick them up... and they don't even give discount off msrp in person...

I am averaging high teens (17-19) per tank... which is in line with my last taco... I don't really see a decline even though it is claimed to be 10%. Also we're at $7 per gallon which is fucking :rage:

I will change the oil in a week or two because my last one showed a lot of contamination from break in.

Overall I really like this thing and being a manual one off color truck in any parking lot brings me a lot of joy. 5/7
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Glad you're loving the truck dude, it is a beauty!

That is bananas that gas just keeps climbing. I filled up the G20 BMW in Houston on Thursday for $2.79 :lolol: We are hanging out in the low threes here after a brief dip to three even.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gas prices shot up in middle of nowhere Michigan last week for some reason. We were in the mid-$3 range for well over a month and since last Thursday(ish) been right around $4.50. Almost a dollar jump for seemingly no real reason. It seems that gas prices have entirely left the realm of rationality if this isn't a national trend. There's nothing about my area that would make it go up more than others.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:58 pm Gas prices shot up in middle of nowhere Michigan last week for some reason. We were in the mid-$3 range for well over a month and since last Thursday(ish) been right around $4.50. Almost a dollar jump for seemingly no real reason. It seems that gas prices have entirely left the realm of rationality if this isn't a national trend. There's nothing about my area that would make it go up more than others.
Nah there is a Shell 1/4 mile from my house so I see it every drive/time I walk the :doge: and it's been sitting at $3.39-3.49 for about a month straight. It tends to be a little bit high in price as our meth alley is populated by pretty rich people outside of the homeless populous.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yep same price on my commute. I got 93 for $3.30 in Blacksburg VA this weekend
max225

I mean theoretically speaking … one could rent a tanker and make money on this ? How does it even make any sort of sense
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 pm I mean theoretically speaking … one could rent a tanker and make money on this ? How does it even make any sort of sense
In order to sell gas in California the gas has to be produced in a facility that meets California emissions standards. Texas and the oil industry in general DGAF about emissions. So gas sold in Cali is more expensive because there’s fewer refineries that meet the standard.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:11 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:58 pm I mean theoretically speaking … one could rent a tanker and make money on this ? How does it even make any sort of sense
In order to sell gas in California the gas has to be produced in a facility that meets California emissions standards. Texas and the oil industry in general DGAF about emissions. So gas sold in Cali is more expensive because there’s fewer refineries that meet the standard.
What is the cost adder?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:12 am

What is the cost adder?
No clue. Apparently it doubles the cost. It’s all supply and demand based, with only a few suppliers for California.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Interesting.
:themoreyouknow:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.