Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:53 am There is a lot of backlash happening here currently with out new electricity costs. It now makes a Hybrid such a Prius more cost effective than say a Tesla model 3... Bonkers. And there is possibility of another rate hike in march...

I wonder what that will do to America's #1 EV market... if the car costs more up front to purchase + fuel + it takes a lot of inconvenience if you don't have at home charging... I think shit will really hit the fan soon here.
Seems kinda like you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t… what with gas also being $5 and outside of maybe SF and Oakland, all of CA is super car dependent, no?

As noted I’m very anti car dependency BUT it feels kind of unfair to make cars inaccessible before really pushing out any other options for getting around (transit, cycling infrastructure, walkable neighborhoods, etc). I did notice West LA had much more bicycle friendly roads when I was there a few weeks ago compared to 5+ years ago when I was going a lot.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:53 am There is a lot of backlash happening here currently with out new electricity costs. It now makes a Hybrid such a Prius more cost effective than say a Tesla model 3... Bonkers. And there is possibility of another rate hike in march...

I wonder what that will do to America's #1 EV market... if the car costs more up front to purchase + fuel + it takes a lot of inconvenience if you don't have at home charging... I think shit will really hit the fan soon here.
Seems kinda like you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t… what with gas also being $5 and outside of maybe SF and Oakland, all of CA is super car dependent, no?

As noted I’m very anti car dependency BUT it feels kind of unfair to make cars inaccessible before really pushing out any other options for getting around (transit, cycling infrastructure, walkable neighborhoods, etc). I did notice West LA had much more bicycle friendly roads when I was there a few weeks ago compared to 5+ years ago when I was going a lot.
It sucks because we pay a mystery tax of $2 per gallon which I’m assuming is added by the overlords to make everyone switch to electric … but now that a lot of people did … they literally increased costs 100% since 2021. And are going to increase them even more in the near future …. Now people who paid a premium for evs in 21 and 22 are completely fucked. This is state level robbery.

This entire country is not walk friendly outside of maybe 3-4 cities. 98% of the population is car dependent.

We know the government is completely unable to run anything. The “jewel” of public transit in this country aka New York subway. Is an absolute crime ridden cesspool, 120f in the summer … filled with loonies and also running an epic deficit every year requiring bail outs. As fares only cover 30% of the budget.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:10 pm

It sucks because we pay a mystery tax of $2 per gallon which I’m assuming is added by the overlords to make everyone switch to electric … but now that a lot of people did … they literally increased costs 100% since 2021. And are going to increase them even more in the near future …. Now people who paid a premium for evs in 21 and 22 are completely fucked. This is state level robbery.

This entire country is not walk friendly outside of maybe 3-4 cities. 98% of the population is car dependent.

We know the government is completely unable to run anything. The “jewel” of public transit in this country aka New York subway. Is an absolute crime ridden cesspool, 120f in the summer … filled with loonies and also running an epic deficit every year requiring bail outs. As fares only cover 30% of the budget.
Agreed on the bolded but that doesn't make it right. Just seems like it should be more of a focus than forcing everyone into EVs which really don't solve anything for most people due to costs, charging infrastructure, etc. I mean Californians and most Americans who bought EVs faced likely the highest vehicle ownershit costs of anyone as their vehicles depreciated like absolute rocks; making charging as much/more than gas just adds insult to injury. I wonder if they 'had to' do it because of the large EV adoption in CA adding additional strain to an already fragile grid? I don't really know enough to say.

I have used the subway in NYC quite extensively and find that it really does work quite well. Sure, you run into some homeless, but I also have them walking up to my car for money anywhere I drive. Driving in major cities isn't exactly the enjoyable task it was years ago.

:ohwell: IMO these are all just symptons of the massive post WWII 'suburban experiment' that doesn't really work. I'm not anti-car by any means, I love driving (in the right conditions), road trips, the freedom/exploration piece, but the fact is cars are very resource intensive.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:57 pm

Agreed on the bolded but that doesn't make it right. Just seems like it should be more of a focus than forcing everyone into EVs which really don't solve anything for most people due to costs, charging infrastructure, etc. I mean Californians and most Americans who bought EVs faced likely the highest vehicle ownershit costs of anyone as their vehicles depreciated like absolute rocks; making charging as much/more than gas just adds insult to injury. I wonder if they 'had to' do it because of the large EV adoption in CA adding additional strain to an already fragile grid? I don't really know enough to say.

I have used the subway in NYC quite extensively and find that it really does work quite well. Sure, you run into some homeless, but I also have them walking up to my car for money anywhere I drive. Driving in major cities isn't exactly the enjoyable task it was years ago.

:ohwell: IMO these are all just symptons of the massive post WWII 'suburban experiment' that doesn't really work. I'm not anti-car by any means, I love driving (in the right conditions), road trips, the freedom/exploration piece, but the fact is cars are very resource intensive.
I kinda liked the subway but I also hate it. Multiple times Ended up at weird “dead stops” that required me to get out and pay again around Manhattan. Also post covid things got bad… 7/10 rides had some crazy shit go on… dude punching electrical boxes …. Bums covered in feces and piss clearing out entire cars of people ….
Violent random outbursts … aggressive begging … and that’s in just 3 days there.
It’s just bad … it felt like something bad was about to happen at all times and had to keep the head on a swivel. It was pretty ok 2012-2019 in the multiple times I have gone.

Life is resource intensive. It is what it is … i too would prefer to walk etc but cars keep me from being in the middle of a cesspool. I think this country is rapidly deteriorating across all social sectors into something terrible. So we’re all fleeing for the hills …
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:51 am
wap wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:50 pm

:hellno:
I drove CAREFULLY home with each of these loads, lol. Super smooth, light touch on gas and brake. Crossing RR tracks was a bit :sweaty: :lolol:
Haha that egg putting in work 😤

At the refinery I once took an entire pallet of water bottles from our warehouse to the job site in my F150. I drove like 5 MPH. I think it was about 2,500 lbs in the bed. Almost 1,000 lbs over the payload capacity.
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Fucking server errors...
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm Fucking server errors...
:(
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm Fucking server errors...
Was going to say that I haven't really used the subway much recently, used it a ton from 2014-2018 when my office was in Manhattan and it was pretty good. I used it a couple of times last year while in NY for work but pretty minimal. Actually had a good transit experience in SLC recently, their light rail actually serves the airport very well.

I think sometimes a smaller city would be the answer, better walkability and house prices in neighborhoods that are actually neighborhoods and not suburban hellscapes are more attainable. We've talked a good bit about Greenville, SC which offers a great downtown with houses in it that aren't terrible and it's close to the mountains.

I am actually in Covington, KY at the moment and it is pretty sweet as well. Just across the river from downtown Cincinnati but also has a vibrant downtown with a bunch of stuff.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:59 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:37 pm

Was going to say that I haven't really used the subway much recently, used it a ton from 2014-2018 when my office was in Manhattan and it was pretty good. I used it a couple of times last year while in NY for work but pretty minimal. Actually had a good transit experience in SLC recently, their light rail actually serves the airport very well.

I think sometimes a smaller city would be the answer, better walkability and house prices in neighborhoods that are actually neighborhoods and not suburban hellscapes are more attainable. We've talked a good bit about Greenville, SC which offers a great downtown with houses in it that aren't terrible and it's close to the mountains.

I am actually in Covington, KY at the moment and it is pretty sweet as well. Just across the river from downtown Cincinnati but also has a vibrant downtown with a bunch of stuff.
Greenville was cool. I'd live there.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

We should do a weekend in Greenville. Driving around and enjoying the city.
max225

Been doing some redfinning for that area. Are prop taxes over 2%? Those things add up quick…
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:05 pm https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/603- ... e=txtshare

Peep the driveway
Home sweet home! That house to car ratio is mind boggling
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:05 pm https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/603- ... e=txtshare

Peep the driveway
The super 73 just chillin in the living room! 🤣
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 pm

I love how you’re just an e-bike aficionado now. I don’t think I’m feeling the 73. But it does add like another $4k or so to the vehicle tab of these owners.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:39 pm

I love how you’re just an e-bike aficionado now. I don’t think I’m feeling the 73. But it does add like another $4k or so to the vehicle tab of these owners.
I don’t know about an aficionado…. I also have mixed feelings about the 73. Would I buy one? No. Would I ride it if given to me? Yes
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:39 pm

Also just noticed the golf cart!!! 🤣
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

More garage free Carolina living.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:23 am More garage free Carolina living.
I'm telling you, almost anything built between 1920 and 1980 just doesn't have a garage :sad: The 1920 and earlier homes are dope and have carriage houses but are like $2 million, the 1980-today homes are either in depressing hellscapes or are also like $900K+.

Jeremy's house has a garage built in the back yard which is a rare find but kind of the ideal thing. I'd consider doing the same but would have to wreck all of my mature trees to do it which would kind of ruin the back yard which is the best part of the place, so we'll just keep saving for the $2 million house I guess.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:36 am
I'm telling you, almost anything built between 1920 and 1980 just doesn't have a garage :sad: The 1920 and earlier homes are dope and have carriage houses but are like $2 million, the 1980-today homes are either in depressing hellscapes or are also like $900K+.

Jeremy's house has a garage built in the back yard which is a rare find but kind of the ideal thing. I'd consider doing the same but would have to wreck all of my mature trees to do it which would kind of ruin the back yard which is the best part of the place, so we'll just keep saving for the $2 million house I guess.
I’ll sell ya mine for a $1M!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:04 am

Nah dog.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:05 am

Nah dog.
Price just went up to $1.2m. Your loss
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:05 am

Nah dog.
Price just went up to $1.2m. Your loss
max225

2 million house is insanity. Unless you’re pulling 1 million a year gross
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 am

2 million house is insanity. Unless you’re pulling 1 million a year gross
Alot of those couples are!!