Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Update on the Tessie:
1000 miles have been driven in 2 weeks. I need to chill....
Consumption is about 343w/mile vs 292 in the Model S. Still this 1000hp thing is more efficient than a prius... insanity.
Woman loves this thing... which I find quite surprising... she likes it more than any other car I have ever had. And she is super protective of the car/and showed dragtimes YouTube vids to her dad to show him more about the car. :mindblown:
No issues so far

What's not so great:
Every door being motorized is kind of annoying at points. It's a bit too much as sometimes you don't know if the door will open into another car.... but I suppose the sensors don't allow it. But I am very anal about this sort of thing, and pride myself in having 0 door dings etc... so I am not sure if I am ok with the robots doing that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:08 pm Update on the Tessie:
1000 miles have been driven in 2 weeks. I need to chill....
Consumption is about 343w/mile vs 292 in the Model S. Still this 1000hp thing is more efficient than a prius... insanity.
Woman loves this thing... which I find quite surprising... she likes it more than any other car I have ever had. And she is super protective of the car/and showed dragtimes YouTube vids to her dad to show him more about the car. :mindblown:
No issues so far

What's not so great:
Every door being motorized is kind of annoying at points. It's a bit too much as sometimes you don't know if the door will open into another car.... but I suppose the sensors don't allow it. But I am very anal about this sort of thing, and pride myself in having 0 door dings etc... so I am not sure if I am ok with the robots doing that.
:notbad:

I too would be quite concerned about power doors. It's such an unnecessary :butwhy: thing, and when a sensor fails :popcorn: At least your door will be dinging someone else's so :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:43 pm

Like so.....https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5329. Your question confuses me. Goes on top, is opaque/feltish/headlinerish, can stay on indefinitely.
My C5 had that... and I took it off and never put it back.
Me too, I put on the body colored top for a week once and didn’t like it, never looked back. The see through roof was actually a feature I miss about that car. The heat doesn’t really bother me much though, was biking in almost 105F Saturday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:02 pm
Man, don't get me started on phone design.

I've had very few vehicles with sun roofs/glass roofs, but heat is a major concern IMO. The transparent roof in my C5 was murder in the sun, felt like you were being cooked inside. I'm surprised by how much heat the sunroof on the 4R lets through when the sun's out, we have the shade pulled frequently as a result.

Not having any sort of shade would need to be resolved somehow quickly IMO.
The CRV sunshade is behind my face. You can’t even see it. It just cooks your brain. No fucking thank you. Ugh so much of this car is just crap design and crap usability.
This isn’t really the thread for this, but I had to rent an HRV this weekend and holy shit was that the worst new vehicle I’ve experienced in a looooong time. So much bigger POS than like an Elantra or Corolla.

I will write up a mini review in the card thread when I get a chance.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:26 pm

The CRV sunshade is behind my face. You can’t even see it. It just cooks your brain. No fucking thank you. Ugh so much of this car is just crap design and crap usability.
This isn’t really the thread for this, but I had to rent an HRV this weekend and holy shit was that the worst new vehicle I’ve experienced in a looooong time. So much bigger POS than like an Elantra or Corolla.

I will write up a mini review in the card thread when I get a chance.
:impressive: yeah the HRV is a turd and a half, just like the Fit. CRV is a bit nicer overall with better motors and suspension but I really don't understand why Honda gets a pass on everything that the rest of the manufacturers get grilled on.
max225

So, I got some weird ass updates on the X that are somewhat :mindblown: at least to me.

For some odd reason this car gathers a shit ton of random attention, which I am absolutely NOT used to. The first week I got it, I didn't really post about another incident... because I thought it was a fluke, but it is really turning into a pattern.

1. Cheesing (we all lived and learned that one)
2. The tesla has a feature that tells you if someone fucked with your car called sentry mode, I was out in napa with the Bae.... noticed a bunch of "sentry" things popped up. Apparently these two really odd looking dudes.. spotted it... and started walking around it.... looked inside, pointed at the car for a solid 2 min. Based on the happy expressions and steering wheel looking gestures they weren't trying to break in but were just looking at it.
3. My old co worker who knows nothing about cars gave me a ride, and asked me about my car sitch, when I told her about the Tessie, she lost her shit... telling me about how her son is obsessed with that particular model with "the doors" and how next time I am in town she will go out of her way to take him to see it as it is apparently his favorite car on the planet.
4. Out in Yountville last weekend, I was returning to my car to see two people circling it... they kind of looked like tourists, but the dude did 2 circles around the car, and just kept staring at it... while i noticed his wife was doing the same in the back. :wtf: like I felt kind of uncomfortable getting in as they kept staring without saying a word.... i reparked the car down the street (It was 24 min parking) and they were walking by again once again twisting their necks looking at it.

At this point my car notifies me of multiple events every time its parked somewhere and I don't think I want to look anymore.... this gathers WAY MORE attention than any car I have ever had. And I am :notsure: why... I figured it's just "Another white tesla" around here. But mouth breathers are really flocking to it...

The tacoma always got really positive comments from people but they were really spread out. And my C5 was really really loved by kids in the neighborhood where I used to live. But the Tessie is on another level.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 am So, I got some weird ass updates on the X that are somewhat :mindblown: at least to me.

For some odd reason this car gathers a shit ton of random attention, which I am absolutely NOT used to. The first week I got it, I didn't really post about another incident... because I thought it was a fluke, but it is really turning into a pattern.

2. The tesla has a feature that tells you if someone fucked with your car called sentry mode, I was out in napa with the Bae.... noticed a bunch of "sentry" things popped up. Apparently these two really odd looking dudes.. spotted it... and started walking around it.... looked inside, pointed at the car for a solid 2 min. Based on the happy expressions and steering wheel looking gestures they weren't trying to break in but were just looking at it.
3. My old co worker who knows nothing about cars gave me a ride, and asked me about my car sitch, when I told her about the Tessie, she lost her shit... telling me about how her son is obsessed with that particular model with "the doors" and how next time I am in town she will go out of her way to take him to see it as it is apparently his favorite car on the planet.
4. Out in Yountville last weekend, I was returning to my car to see two people circling it... they kind of looked like tourists, but the dude did 2 circles around the car, and just kept staring at it... while i noticed his wife was doing the same in the back. :wtf: like I felt kind of uncomfortable getting in as they kept staring without saying a word.... i reparked the car down the street (It was 24 min parking) and they were walking by again once again twisting their necks looking at it.

At this point my car notifies me of multiple events every time its parked somewhere and I don't think I want to look anymore.... this gathers WAY MORE attention than any car I have ever had. And I am :notsure: why... I figured it's just "Another white tesla" around here. But mouth breathers are really flocking to it...

The tacoma always got really positive comments from people but they were really spread out. And my C5 was really really loved by kids in the neighborhood where I used to live. But the Tessie is on another level.
Because PLAID. A 9 second car moves you way past somebody's 7 year old ModelS 75
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 am So, I got some weird ass updates on the X that are somewhat :mindblown: at least to me.

Because PLAID. A 9 second car moves you way past somebody's 7 year old ModelS 75
Isn't the only indicator the badge on the back? I have a hard time believing the general public knows anything about that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Isn't the only indicator the badge on the back? I have a hard time believing the general public knows anything about that.
Every time I look at a Tesla that is ALL I'm looking at. Because otherwise you are driving electric tupperware. If you have a P100D or a Plaid, at least you have :dedong: tupperware. You're probably right though.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:27 pm
Every time I look at a Tesla that is ALL I'm looking at. Because otherwise you are driving electric tupperware. If you have a P100D or a Plaid, at least you have :dedong: tupperware. You're probably right though.
Well sure, you or I or anyone on here would look for the badge, but most :derp: have no idea. They probably don't even know what they're looking at entirely, hence the curiosity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

I find this extremely odd as well... I am a car guy and I still just see a Tessie and think Tessie, literally no differentiation between models as all rook same.

:iono: :doe: can be fun to get the attention.
max225

There are a few indicators. The dude that I sold my Cooper into, told me he and his son look for the "square" wheel and that's how they know it's the new one.

The interiors are vastly different. And all of the exterior trim is black and no longer BROME on the 22+ model S and X. And the wheel design is vastly different.

But that's about it... The X's also came out in 2016 which means that they do not look like the 7+ model Ss which received a major redesign actually. So from the get-go a X looks a bit different from most S models.

Like I said... it's different and unexpected, i expected to blend in, but the conversations/looks etc happen quite frequently. I just remembered the woman took a tv to her dads house and their neighbors jumped out of the house and ran up to talk to her about "her new car" while she was attempting to move the TV with her dad. (Neighbors have the 3 and wanted to know all about the X).
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:29 pm

I find this extremely odd as well... I am a car guy and I still just see a Tessie and think Tessie, literally no differentiation between models as all rook same.

;dat;

I think Max thinks this car is gettingi more attention than his previous cars because this car TELLS him when weirdos sniff around it when he's not in the area. :iono: :wrong: :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:29 pm

;dat;

I think Max thinks this car is gettingi more attention than his previous cars because this car TELLS him when weirdos sniff around it when he's not in the area. :iono: :wrong: :iono:
I walked up to the car with weird people staring at it .. circling it like vultures. Never happened to me with any other car in the last 5 years other than the m3 … but not to this level. I only had it for 3 weeks … :disgust: I personally don’t find the car visually appealing at all, especially in white.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

More than the Mini?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:28 pmMore than the Mini?
Yea I loved the the way the mini looked actually. It was one of the most distinctive cars I have ever had.

But almost no one ever looked at it and the only comment was ever got was “how do you fit” :disgust: and I have gotten that at least 30 times lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think Minis, especially a unique JCW, look awesome as well. It’s certainly a “ you either get it or you don’t” thing though.

I would think the M3s would attract attention but :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:41 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:28 pmMore than the Mini?
Yea I loved the the way the mini looked actually. It was one of the most distinctive cars I have ever had.

But almost no one ever looked at it and the only comment was ever got was “how do you fit” :disgust: and I have gotten that at least 30 times lol.
I expect the same if I ever end up with one.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:13 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:07 pm

;dat;

I walked up to the car with weird people staring at it .. circling it like vultures. Never happened to me with any other car in the last 5 years other than the m3 … but not to this level. I only had it for 3 weeks … :disgust: I personally don’t find the car visually appealing at all, especially in white.
Must be a NorCal thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:28 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:13 pm
Must be a NorCal thing.
Teslas are extremely rare here and look like spaceships when you do see them since most cars are either Subarus, Jeeps, or FSTs here. I imagine they draw an observer or two when parked.

My 4R gets way more attention than I ever assumed it would. I've caught people taking pictures of it parked a few times now :butwhy: I get comments everywhere from gas stations to drive thrus. Makes zero sense to me, maybe people are just more curious everywhere now? Hard to buy vehicles so people pay more attention? :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Any updates on the Fendie? My friend's family had to be airlifted away from their cabin in Montana while on vacation yesterday, and they had to leave their Atlas there. It has food and a bunch of other shit in it, and they don't expect to be able to reach it again for another year or so because all access roads and bridges were taken out. His wife wants a Fendie now, and he said he crossed the Bronco off the list because of how long the wait it. I laughed but I don't think he really understands the Fendie is backed up just the same.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:37 pm Any updates on the Fendie? My friend's family had to be airlifted away from their cabin in Montana while on vacation yesterday, and they had to leave their Atlas there. It has food and a bunch of other shit in it, and they don't expect to be able to reach it again for another year or so because all access roads and bridges were taken out. His wife wants a Fendie now, and he said he crossed the Bronco off the list because of how long the wait it. I laughed but I don't think he really understands the Fendie is backed up just the same.
When I ordered my fendie back in November. 90% of dealers marked up and 10% stayed honest. The order times were 6-9 months. I am right at the latter as of now.

Mine has been built 6.03.22, and it was ordered 11.28.21. The supposed delivery should be around 7.15.22. I have no idea still what PRICE it will be, as the ordered price and the current MSRP are about 2k apart and the dealer that used to not mark up is now marking up. However I have emails stating no markup. So it'll be most likely current sticker which is around 2k higher than when I ordered.

That said, if anyone wanted a defender NOW, it sounds like every single dealer is marking UP the orders (2-10k), and they are about 5-10k markup on the lot. The wait times are also semi unknown... but a lot of folks are stating somewhere in the 6-9 month range. Defenders are pretty hard to get as they are seen as the only "cool, hip, unique" RR product on the lot today and dealers are unwilling to budge. The new big boy RR is starting to steal some of that thunder though.

To be honest, I would expect this to rapidly improve. People that can actually afford a RR are thinking twice about slapping down cash when their primary source of income is down 20-50% for the year.

About your friends... man they are lucky to be alive, sounds like a terrifying ordeal. It's those floods out there near Yellowstone right?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:45 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:28 am

Must be a NorCal thing.
Teslas are extremely rare here and look like spaceships when you do see them since most cars are either Subarus, Jeeps, or FSTs here. I imagine they draw an observer or two when parked.

My 4R gets way more attention than I ever assumed it would. I've caught people taking pictures of it parked a few times now :butwhy: I get comments everywhere from gas stations to drive thrus. Makes zero sense to me, maybe people are just more curious everywhere now? Hard to buy vehicles so people pay more attention? :iono:
A lot more people are casually into cars than we give credit...I've found that anything remotely enthusiast oriented gets some love - unique color/spec of commonplace vehicles included (like your 4R, Max's Mini, my Beemah). Hell, my white :mk6: got quite a bit of love.

That said, even more people love tech shit, hence the head over heals reactions to the Tessie.

So odd that you don't see them up there, they are VERY common here in NC and in the places I visit for work (mostly FL, TX, GA).
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:37 pm Any updates on the Fendie? My friend's family had to be airlifted away from their cabin in Montana while on vacation yesterday, and they had to leave their Atlas there. It has food and a bunch of other shit in it, and they don't expect to be able to reach it again for another year or so because all access roads and bridges were taken out. His wife wants a Fendie now, and he said he crossed the Bronco off the list because of how long the wait it. I laughed but I don't think he really understands the Fendie is backed up just the same.
When I ordered my fendie back in November. 90% of dealers marked up and 10% stayed honest. The order times were 6-9 months. I am right at the latter as of now.

Mine has been built 6.03.22, and it was ordered 11.28.21. The supposed delivery should be around 7.15.22. I have no idea still what PRICE it will be, as the ordered price and the current MSRP are about 2k apart and the dealer that used to not mark up is now marking up. However I have emails stating no markup. So it'll be most likely current sticker which is around 2k higher than when I ordered.

That said, if anyone wanted a defender NOW, it sounds like every single dealer is marking UP the orders (2-10k), and they are about 5-10k markup on the lot. The wait times are also semi unknown... but a lot of folks are stating somewhere in the 6-9 month range. Defenders are pretty hard to get as they are seen as the only "cool, hip, unique" RR product on the lot today and dealers are unwilling to budge. The new big boy RR is starting to steal some of that thunder though.

To be honest, I would expect this to rapidly improve. People that can actually afford a RR are thinking twice about slapping down cash when their primary source of income is down 20-50% for the year.

About your friends... man they are lucky to be alive, sounds like a terrifying ordeal. It's those floods out there near Yellowstone right?
Yep. They were never in any "real" danger, but their cabin is no longer accessible by car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:53 pm

Are you going to actually take it :doe: ?

:popcorn:

Seems like you may as well, drive for a few weeks, flip if you're meh on it.