Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:44 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:41 pm

The hulk Green ain’t coming to the 23s. Not that anyone would be dumb enough to get it lol
:wrong:
https://pressroom.toyota.com/2023-toyot ... -packages/
The Tacoma TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road models offer two different takes on the TRD approach to sport truck performance, and for the upcoming model year both grades will be available in Electric Lime.
Yep. It went back and forth
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

On the 2023 Tacoma Build and Price:

:megusta: Honestly, getting a long bed :manuel: in this color appeals to me more than AG right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:47 pm On the 2023 Tacoma Build and Price:

:megusta: Honestly, getting a long bed :manuel: in this color appeals to me more than AG right now.
I honestly prefer it
max225

I do like the black accents though the sport makes everything body colored... easy fix though.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm I do like the black accents though the sport makes everything body colored... easy fix though.
At least the rear bumper is painted. All the other stuff is easy to black out, which agreed is critical on this color.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:47 pm On the 2023 Tacoma Build and Price:

I honestly prefer it
Yea, that's hot.
ChrisoftheNorth

Will have to see if any :dill: s start in the next 12 mos or so. If discounting on TuRD Sports becomes a thing again, I might be convinced.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:58 pm Will have to see if any :dill: s start in the next 12 mos or so. If discounting on TuRD Sports becomes a thing again, I might be convinced.
Usually that’s around 2-5k tops. But yea. Honestly I’d love a zr2 but it’s 65k now… which is insanity. Equally equipped gladiator is 60?! $60,910 Just looked it up, No thanks.

Btw you may not like the driving position it isn’t great for line backers and you kind of have to do some acrobatics with your leg to get under the steering wheel
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:58 pm Will have to see if any :dill: s start in the next 12 mos or so. If discounting on TuRD Sports becomes a thing again, I might be convinced.
Usually that’s around 2-5k tops. But yea. Honestly I’d love a zr2 but it’s 65k now… which is insanity. Equally equipped gladiator is 60?! $60,910 Just looked it up, No thanks.

Btw you may not like the driving position it isn’t great for line backers and you kind of have to do some acrobatics with your leg to get under the steering wheel
Now that I'm used tot he 4R, Tacos are a bit more tolerable for me from a driving position standpoint. Agreed, not ideal...but it is what it is.

My issue is I really like having a long bed. My truck is a tool and the 4R exists to take people, so my priority is on having an actual truck, not a cramped SUV with a tiny bed. Long beds are a thing of the past, I'm afraid. Can't get anything but a short bed in a Colorado or Gladiator, I'm sure Toyota will follow suit with the Tacoma.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Vans are the new long bed trucks
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 am
max225 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:03 pm

Now that I'm used tot he 4R, Tacos are a bit more tolerable for me from a driving position standpoint. Agreed, not ideal...but it is what it is.

My issue is I really like having a long bed. My truck is a tool and the 4R exists to take people, so my priority is on having an actual truck, not a cramped SUV with a tiny bed. Long beds are a thing of the past, I'm afraid. Can't get anything but a short bed in a Colorado or Gladiator, I'm sure Toyota will follow suit with the Tacoma.
:iono: What's the use case delta for the bed vs the cab? The truck is exactly the same length. You can put more shit in the cab vs the bed. Unless you consistently haul something that is 5'5" + I don't really see the big deal in that extra foot. For ex the rear seats hold flat and create a flat load floor as well...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 am

:iono: What's the use case delta for the bed vs the cab? The truck is exactly the same length. You can put more shit in the cab vs the bed. Unless you consistently haul something that is 5'5" + I don't really see the big deal in that extra foot.
If I want to put things in the cab, I'll take the 4R which has WAY more interior space. I only use the truck for hauling long/dirty things and camping. I had 8 6 foot juniper trees laying in the bed on Saturday. They fit with the tailgate up, which is much better for the trees and way more ZFG loading. Same goes for the load of scrap building material I took to the dump (many boards pushing 7 feet) a few weeks back. I was always surprised how short the 5' beds were when putting random things in (My Colorado ZR2 and Gladiator were 5' beds), but 6' seems to be just right.

I'm a specific use case :doe: the truck is just a tool for me.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:49 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:20 pm

:iono: What's the use case delta for the bed vs the cab? The truck is exactly the same length. You can put more shit in the cab vs the bed. Unless you consistently haul something that is 5'5" + I don't really see the big deal in that extra foot.
If I want to put things in the cab, I'll take the 4R which has WAY more interior space. I only use the truck for hauling long/dirty things and camping. I had 8 6 foot juniper trees laying in the bed on Saturday. They fit with the tailgate up, which is much better for the trees and way more ZFG loading. Same goes for the load of scrap building material I took to the dump (many boards pushing 7 feet) a few weeks back. I was always surprised how short the 5' beds were when putting random things in (My Colorado ZR2 and Gladiator were 5' beds), but 6' seems to be just right.

Yea I get it... Just saying the limitation is somewhat circumvented by having extra space inside the truck. The overall "shit loading" capacity is about the same other than if you carry objects longer than 6 feet consistently.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:49 pm

Yea I get it... Just saying the limitation is somewhat circumvented by having extra space inside the truck. The overall "shit loading" capacity is about the same other than if you carry objects longer than 6 feet consistently.
Kind of. I find the cab being closed off to be far more limiting than an SUV, for example. Going from crew cab short bed trucks to the 4R has been a bit eye opening as I think the 4R is more practical/useful. I literally only need a truck to haul things that don't fit in the 4R, and the only thing the 4R doesn't have is an open bed that can take long things (and even then I've stuck 8' pieces of wood out the rear window in the past). The 4R is the primary vehicle 90% of the time because it's so good at doing everything. The truck is just there to haul or get me around if I need to do something on my own (infrequent).

It's an extremely limited use case, which is why I have a $6k truck instead of a $40k truck. It's also why small cab long bed trucks are dying.
max225

Yea honestly ... if you don't want to have your own truckster and want something new and reliable. and if just want to haul dirt... then... the Taco makes no sense. Because you have the 4R. I Wanted the occasional utility vehicle and occasional travel vehicle. And I enjoy having "rare" cars that won't be lost in a parking lot... so it works for me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:34 pm

Kind of. I find the cab being closed off to be far more limiting than an SUV, for example. Going from crew cab short bed trucks to the 4R has been a bit eye opening as I think the 4R is more practical/useful. I literally only need a truck to haul things that don't fit in the 4R, and the only thing the 4R doesn't have is an open bed that can take long things (and even then I've stuck 8' pieces of wood out the rear window in the past). The 4R is the primary vehicle 90% of the time because it's so good at doing everything. The truck is just there to haul or get me around if I need to do something on my own (infrequent).

It's an extremely limited use case, which is why I have a $6k truck instead of a $40k truck. It's also why small cab long bed trucks are dying.
The :scrooge: in me wants to suggest a little aluminum trailer for the 4R. The only repairs you'd have to deal with are bearings and tars. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:13 pm

The :scrooge: in me wants to suggest a little aluminum trailer for the 4R. The only repairs you'd have to deal with are bearings and tars. :iono:
Hard part here is it'll take up a garage space just as much as the truck. And I can't drive a trailer if I need to go somewhere on my own. If I had infinite garage space, I'd get a trailer for the 4R and a GR86 or the like for me and done.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:40 pm Yea honestly ... if you don't want to have your own truckster and want something new and reliable. and if just want to haul dirt... then... the Taco makes no sense. Because you have the 4R. I Wanted the occasional utility vehicle and occasional travel vehicle. And I enjoy having "rare" cars that won't be lost in a parking lot... so it works for me.
The only travelling I'll do with a truck is camping. And even then I still prefer a big bed for fitting camping gear in. I don't commute and don't NEED something reliable per se, just don't want to be stranded somewhere.

My S10 might be one of the rarest trucks in the area. Every time I take it out someone comments on how they haven't seen an S10 that rust free since they were new...then offer to buy it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:08 am
Tar wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Hard part here is it'll take up a garage space just as much as the truck. And I can't drive a trailer if I need to go somewhere on my own. If I had infinite garage space, I'd get a trailer for the 4R and a GR86 or the like for me and done.
That's what I would do if I had the opportunity and space to own two cars and a trailer. Heck, I'd even knock down a few trees and build a landing pad for the trailer, :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:40 pm Yea honestly ... if you don't want to have your own truckster and want something new and reliable. and if just want to haul dirt... then... the Taco makes no sense. Because you have the 4R. I Wanted the occasional utility vehicle and occasional travel vehicle. And I enjoy having "rare" cars that won't be lost in a parking lot... so it works for me.
The only travelling I'll do with a truck is camping. And even then I still prefer a big bed for fitting camping gear in. I don't commute and don't NEED something reliable per se, just don't want to be stranded somewhere.

My S10 might be one of the rarest trucks in the area. Every time I take it out someone comments on how they haven't seen an S10 that rust free since they were new...then offer to buy it.
The S10 is the perfect compromise for not much money. Can't go wrong with it and you'll be able to offload it whenever you want.

I'm happy with our fleet of cars, so no buying or selling in the near future. I don't envy anyone who's out there buying new stuff any sooner then Jan/Feb 2023, things feel pretty sketchy lately.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:08 am
That's what I would do if I had the opportunity and space to own two cars and a trailer. Heck, I'd even knock down a few trees and build a landing pad for the trailer, :iono:
I would do this in a second, but nowhere on our lot is flat. I'd need to knock down trees then somehow flatten a steep hill, which would require maybe bringing in dirt or something? It would be a major undertaking, sadly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 am

I would do this in a second, but nowhere on our lot is flat. I'd need to knock down trees then somehow flatten a steep hill, which would require maybe bringing in dirt or something? It would be a major undertaking, sadly.
Boat lift but on land. Let that bitch hang
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I envisioned that you'd have to cut into the slope and use 6 x 6 pressure treated to build a retaining wall.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:06 pm
I envisioned that you'd have to cut into the slope and use 6 x 6 pressure treated to build a retaining wall.
Yep, this is what it would take. Not really a project I'm excited to take on just so I can store a trailer somewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:18 am
Boat lift but on land. Let that bitch hang
:notbad: