Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:50 am

You want the ds18s? I’m going post office later today…
I thought you said they were JBL only? I was going to buy these since people report using them in non-JBL trucks without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Replacement ... B09HVCQZXF

If these are the ones you have, I'll buy them from ya for whatever you feel is reasonable.
lol.... just re-read my posts. They are NON JBL only. Yes those are the ones. $60 shipped. If you want em PM your address and I'll get em out this afternoon.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am
I thought you said they were JBL only? I was going to buy these since people report using them in non-JBL trucks without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-Replacement ... B09HVCQZXF

If these are the ones you have, I'll buy them from ya for whatever you feel is reasonable.
lol.... just re-read my posts. They are NON JBL only. Yes those are the ones. $60 shipped. If you want em PM your address and I'll get em out this afternoon.
PM'd
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:39 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:03 pm

PM'd
Weird … I got nothing …
max225

Some random shit happened to me yesterday that normally doesn't... for the first time in 15 years, I ended up getting "stranded" I pride myself in being very pre emotive about things like this, and change fluids/coolant/tires etc. to make sure this doesn't happen.

Somewhat an exaggeration but not. We ended up going to the in laws yesterday to drop off some ice cream... woman goes up ... I turn acura off... she comes back down an we're chatting for a couple of min... and all the sudden the TSX goes completely ape shit... ABS warning, flickering radio etc. So clearly the battery DIED. No warning... car cranked just fine before etc... just 10 min ago when we left.

Battery is from 3/18, so it isn't even that old. Especially in cali, (my crown vic lasted 16 years, mini was 7+, etc etc). The size of the battery in the TSX is just too small (500CCA) it's the size of 1/2 of a regular battery. So yesterday I ended up getting jumped by ... wait for ... a 2000 TACO with 260k miles (The one I borrowed) with a battery from 2/16. went to costco and bought a new one...

OLD CAR SHIT IS GREAT... :disgust:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:49 am Some random shit happened to me yesterday that normally doesn't... for the first time in 15 years, I ended up getting "stranded" I pride myself in being very pre emotive about things like this, and change fluids/coolant/tires etc. to make sure this doesn't happen.

Somewhat an exaggeration but not. We ended up going to the in laws yesterday to drop off some ice cream... woman goes up ... I turn acura off... she comes back down an we're chatting for a couple of min... and all the sudden the TSX goes completely ape shit... ABS warning, flickering radio etc. So clearly the battery DIED. No warning... car cranked just fine before etc... just 10 min ago when we left.

Battery is from 3/18, so it isn't even that old. Especially in cali, (my crown vic lasted 16 years, mini was 7+, etc etc). The size of the battery in the TSX is just too small (500CCA) it's the size of 1/2 of a regular battery. So yesterday I ended up getting jumped by ... wait for ... a 2000 TACO with 260k miles (The one I borrowed) with a battery from 2/16. went to costco and bought a new one...

Dang. That's :rage: worthy for sure. :wtf: is with :dat: :jalepenis: battery in the Acura? Both batteries I replaced in my previous GTI's (Mk4 and Mk6) lasted over 7 years. A garage kept OEM battery shouldn't shit the bed in only 4 years IMO. :ludacris: You're not some dub step-listening bro who sits in his driveway making his ears bleed with dem jamz for hours.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:49 am Some random shit happened to me yesterday that normally doesn't... for the first time in 15 years, I ended up getting "stranded" I pride myself in being very pre emotive about things like this, and change fluids/coolant/tires etc. to make sure this doesn't happen.

Dang. That's :rage: worthy for sure. :wtf: is with :dat: :jalepenis: battery in the Acura? Both batteries I replaced in my previous GTI's (Mk4 and Mk6) lasted over 7 years. A garage kept OEM battery shouldn't shit the bed in only 4 years IMO. :ludacris: You're not some dub step-listening bro who sits in his driveway making his ears bleed with dem jamz for hours.
The battery in the TSX is 1/2 the size and weight of a GTI...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:37 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 pm
The battery in the TSX is 1/2 the size and weight of a GTI...
:butwhy:
peace of mind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Weight savings
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:49 am OLD CAR SHIT IS GREAT... :disgust:
This is why the S10 is just a toy for me, and I keep a Li Ion jump box and a basic toolkit in the back of the cab.

Once vehicles get over 10 years old, reliability wanes. Partially because that's way beyond OEM durability testing, but also because shit just wears out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:23 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:49 am OLD CAR SHIT IS GREAT... :disgust:
This is why the S10 is just a toy for me, and I keep a Li Ion jump box and a basic toolkit in the back of the cab.

Once vehicles get over 10 years old, reliability wanes. Partially because that's way beyond OEM durability testing, but also because shit just wears out.
I have it In the back of the taco…. But given that it died during a 10 min trip we’ve done 100 times vs a cold winter morning was super unsettling
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:23 pm

I have it In the back of the taco…. But given that it died during a 10 min trip we’ve done 100 times vs a cold winter morning was super unsettling
Just have to accept that shit like this can happen with an older vehicle and be prepared. That stuff never leaves the truck for me.

But this instance seems like a fluke with a dead battery. Not sure I'd blame the car, and Costco Interstate batteries are pretty reliable from my experience so you probably won't have to worry about this exact thing happening again.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:35 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Just have to accept that shit like this can happen with an older vehicle and be prepared. That stuff never leaves the truck for me.

But this instance seems like a fluke with a dead battery. Not sure I'd blame the car, and Costco Interstate batteries are pretty reliable from my experience so you probably won't have to worry about this exact thing happening again.
Hopefully not … I think I will simply change the next battery at year 4 since they die without warning.

But I’m hoping the tsx won’t be around long enough for me to do it again.
Battery that died was OEM Acura.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Coincidentally, my 2004 TSX's battery shat a brick in 2011 ~ 8 years and weirdly enough not only my 2015 mexican yaris battery gone out in 2018 (got the car in fall 2014) but my friends 2014 Infiniti QX50 was replaced in 2019. Also mom's 2011 f10 535i battery was replaced in 2016 and of course spent a night or 2 at a dealer to get it reprogrammed :disgust:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Hopefully not … I think I will simply change the next battery at year 4 since they die without warning.

But I’m hoping the tsx won’t be around long enough for me to do it again.
Battery that died was OEM Acura.
Almost forgot. My GTI randomly couldn't start one night and the car turns on and off just fine, just a simple jump start, never had an issue for another year.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Sounds like it was just a crap battery. My GTI battery died at 4 years.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 pm Sounds like it was just a crap battery. My GTI battery died at 4 years.
It was strange, and while i got the battery changed in 2018, the mk7 battery cover was more similar to hood carpeting, and one of the plugs did burn a hole, and how much vw did save by doing it instead of a hard plastic cover
max225

Some interesting observations around MPG.

I now have 1400 miles tracked on the taco... avg is 18.7MPG. My last tank was 21MPG, best ever tank on the gray taco was 21.6 mpg on a similar route.

Over 13k miles on the auto taco I averages 18.8MPG. Official EPA # is 10% lower for the manual (18/20)vs (18/22). But I am not seeing that in real life.

It is shockingly expensive to operate still.... 30 cents per mile :( vs 20 cents per mile for the last taco. (mainly due to our current fuel prices)
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm Some interesting observations around MPG.

I now have 1400 miles tracked on the taco... avg is 18.7MPG. My last tank was 21MPG, best ever tank on the gray taco was 21.6 mpg on a similar route.

Over 13k miles on the auto taco I averages 18.8MPG. Official EPA # is 10% lower for the manual (18/20)vs (18/22). But I am not seeing that in real life.

It is shockingly expensive to operate still.... 30 cents per mile :( vs 20 cents per mile for the last taco. (mainly due to our current fuel prices)
Official EPA numbers are BS because the OEMs have figured out how to game the EPA test cycle. It's why autos appear to do so well, because they're programmed specifically for the test cycle. You can't do that with a manual. I bet IRL, the difference is negligible, and depending on the driver, could manual could actually be better.

21MPG is :mindblown. The 4R hasn't cracked 18 ever.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:50 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:30 pm Some interesting observations around MPG.

Official EPA numbers are BS because the OEMs have figured out how to game the EPA test cycle. It's why autos appear to do so well, because they're programmed specifically for the test cycle. You can't do that with a manual. I bet IRL, the difference is negligible, and depending on the driver, could manual could actually be better.

Yea I consider myself to be a very conservative driver so having full control of the gearing is always going to benefit if the alternative is a shitty ass 6 speed.

Too bad toyota V6s drink fuel like V8s, and make power like I4s... but other than that I am pretty happy.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:50 pm

Yea I consider myself to be a very conservative driver so having full control of the gearing is always going to benefit if the alternative is a shitty ass 6 speed.

Too bad toyota V6s drink fuel like V8s, and make power like I4s... but other than that I am pretty happy.
The shame is the 4.0 being dropped for the Camry engine in the Tacoma. I really like the 4.0. Good torque, decent top end, has no issue towing. It could use a few more gears from a modern transmission at times, but it's solid overall.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That is not old car shit unless you are claiming everyone needs to trade their car in before the first battery replacement. In the desert I replace batteries every four years if they make it that long.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:18 am

That is not old car shit unless you are claiming everyone needs to trade their car in before the first battery replacement. In the desert I replace batteries every four years if they make it that long.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:18 am

It's kind of like saying you need to upgrade your HVAC system because the filters are dirty.
max225

The point was that the car left me and my lovely wife stranded without warning requiring help. Not that I had to get a new battery.

Old car shit = getting stranded. Some of y’all are dense mfkers
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:57 am The point was that the car left me and my lovely wife stranded without warning requiring help. Not that I had to get a new battery.

Sometimes batteries work fine up to the second they dont my dude. The one in the MDX had ONE kinda hard start before it simply didn't the next time.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:25 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:57 am The point was that the car left me and my lovely wife stranded without warning requiring help. Not that I had to get a new battery.

Sometimes batteries work fine up to the second they dont my dude. The one in the MDX had ONE kinda hard start before it simply didn't the next time.
Yea no kidding. Most usually give you some sort of warning ... like longer starts or issues during cold/hot weather. This one was bizzare. I started up just fine at my house.. and after a 15 min drive at the in laws it just went kaput.