OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Yep, pretty much the same as I said above, except my dog loves camping and also cabins. As a Black Lab she loooooves water and the outdoors, sometimes too much.
Yea, the one thing in the back of my mind is if I got a more active dog that enjoyed the outdoors more, I might be willing to put up with the downsides. It's just so hard to tell what a dog's personality will work out to be.
Find out what the bitch and sire are like and that should give you an indication of where the puppy will land personality wise. And research some breeds you’re interested in, they have common characteristics/traits.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm Man, wife is really pushing hard on getting a :doge:

I do enjoy dogs a lot but still kinda scared, life has been easier since the previous one died. At least this will be more "mine" and I can select one that is... less purse carry-able.
If push back as much as possible, but you're fighting a losing battle.

I love my dog. A lot. But she's a real drag. We went to CA a few weeks ago for nearly a week...that's $300 for boarding. As she's gotten older shes gotten to be more of a princess, so she hates camping which we love. We want to go on a random weekend trip somewhere? Boarding...which may or may not happen on a whim. Grab drinks after work? Can't...gotta go let the dog out.

My wife loves dogs and is 100% the reason we got ours, and even she has agreed that we won't replace our dog when she goes. We're not having kids because we appreciate freedom, the dog ties us down too much.
I mean... she really wants a :doge: Had the previous one for 12 years. We actually have a house, fenced in yard, etc. and plenty of time to adjust at the moment. The expense for boarding is definitely a bummer, but :iono: She doesn't really complain about things I do/spend money on at all so I can't really scoff at that.

It's more the responsibility that I'm not super pumped on. Like you said, gotta come home from work to care for the :doge: , pre plan everything so much more. At least we live close to both of our jobs.

Currently looking at a three month old lab/golden retriever mix.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 pm

I love my dog. A lot. But she's a real drag. We went to CA a few weeks ago for nearly a week...that's $300 for boarding. As she's gotten older shes gotten to be more of a princess, so she hates camping which we love. We want to go on a random weekend trip somewhere? Boarding...which may or may not happen on a whim. Grab drinks after work? Can't...gotta go let the dog out.

My wife loves dogs and is 100% the reason we got ours, and even she has agreed that we won't replace our dog when she goes. We're not having kids because we appreciate freedom, the dog ties us down too much.
I mean... she really wants a :doge: Had the previous one for 12 years. We actually have a house, fenced in yard, etc. and plenty of time to adjust at the moment. The expense for boarding is definitely a bummer, but :iono: She doesn't really complain about things I do/spend money on at all so I can't really scoff at that.

It's more the responsibility that I'm not super pumped on. Like you said, gotta come home from work to care for the :doge: , pre plan everything so much more. At least we live close to both of our jobs.

Dogs are great, esp if your woman will let them be outside. get a neighbor to throw food at them for weekend trips.

Ours are inside princess dags now so all the agveration and expense applies. meh.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 pm

Dogs are great, esp if your woman will let them be outside. get a neighbor to throw food at them for weekend trips.

Ours are inside princess dags now so all the agveration and expense applies. meh.
I'm not really a full outdoor dog person, I feel owning a dog that doesn't come in the :haus: is sort of pointless :iono: But point taken. Maybe we could do a dog door to mitigate some things.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Yeah I’d prefer not to do the dog thing again, at least not until I’m older and don’t have as many hobbies and I don’t mind just coming home and spending the afternoons/evenings with the pup.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm not really a full outdoor dog person, I feel owning a dog that doesn't come in the :haus: is sort of pointless :iono: But point taken. Maybe we could do a dog door to mitigate some things.
I also like having the pup inside, but they can easily live their best life outside why I'm off doing things too.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:39 pm
Yea, the one thing in the back of my mind is if I got a more active dog that enjoyed the outdoors more, I might be willing to put up with the downsides. It's just so hard to tell what a dog's personality will work out to be.
Find out what the bitch and sire are like and that should give you an indication of where the puppy will land personality wise. And research some breeds you’re interested in, they have common characteristics/traits.
I've got a thing for muts/shelter dogs. There's probably some deep rooted psychological issues with me, but I really like the idea of saving or fixing something. Animals, vehicles, houses, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:09 pm

I also like having the pup inside, but they can easily live their best life outside why I'm off doing things too.
Even in the heat/humidity of summer?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:36 pm Every shop is closed except this fucking chode.

The fat fuck owner of this place is retired philly police so of course they won’t shut him down. So come to south Philly where you can buy lung cancer sticks with a side of lung virus for a limited time.
:lolol:

Basically the opposite of "essential" right now...
That's his shitty Nissan cuv too. Parked illegally. Of course no tickets ever. I park there and get a ticket within 15 minutes. Because I took his spot.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Interestingly this is way up on my list of "huh" items. My barber is a bit of an outlier, she is 72 and owns multiple properties outright, works because she wants to. Thinking about texting her and seeing if she wants to cut my hair in my garage for say...............$100?
Similar issue. My barber is in his late 70s. I'll pay him anything he wants but I don't want to kill him.
It's the season for man buns, bro. Or :neek:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:50 pm

I've got a thing for muts/shelter dogs. There's probably some deep rooted psychological issues with me, but I really like the idea of saving or fixing something. Animals, vehicles, houses, etc.
:iono: I think shelter dogs are the way to go as well... saving a life. :tits: isn't really down though, so this sort of adoption off CL seems like the best compromise. I am not paying $800 for a designer thing.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm Man, wife is really pushing hard on getting a :doge:

I do enjoy dogs a lot but still kinda scared, life has been easier since the previous one died. At least this will be more "mine" and I can select one that is... less purse carry-able.

I put a feeler out for a house sitter through my cycling friends network. Found one of the dude's kids was interested. He's like 21 years old and a total introvert with no friends who loves animals. I pay him $50 a night to hang out at the house and feed/walk the dog and make sure she doesn't squish the cat. It's been great.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:25 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Even in the heat/humidity of summer?
they are dogs. they love outside.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:24 pm
:iono: I think shelter dogs are the way to go as well... saving a life. :tits: isn't really down though, so this sort of adoption off CL seems like the best compromise. I am not paying $800 for a designer thing.
You pay $800 for a designer dog you're supporting the puppy mill industry which is basically the shittiest industry alive.

I dunno. I'd just get a shelter dog. They're basically free, many come spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. Sure you have some anxiety and trauma to deal with but dogs are somewhat malleable. To each their own though, don't get something you won't love.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm

You pay $800 for a designer dog you're supporting the puppy mill industry which is basically the shittiest industry alive.

I dunno. I'd just get a shelter dog. They're basically free, many come spayed/neutered and up to date on shots. Sure you have some anxiety and trauma to deal with but dogs are somewhat malleable. To each their own though, don't get something you won't love.
:dat: is my feeling. I have stood my ground on the no designer thing... we'll see how it goes.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

The only reason I didnt go with a shelter dog was because of her cat. Prey drive is HARD to get rid of. I've never kept a dog outside before. My last dog slept in my bed with me and she was 73 pounds. Personally, I've never agreed with the outside thing. Not as social, dig holes, Houdini and end up on lost pets of Corona facebook groups etc lol. Plus they get filthy. My doggo is an inside dog that gets to go out as much as it wants, if that makes any sense.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

$800 is cheap AF for a “designer” :doge:
It’s expensive to properly raise a litter of puppies for adoption.

Source: wifey has been an owner/breeder/handler for a large part of her life, so clearly :wrong:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:35 pm I have been avoiding the news, but this one is probably only the start of this shit...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... y/2339287/

:yikes:
If that guy was jamming Crazy Train then I vote to acquit.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:35 pm I have been avoiding the news, but this one is probably only the start of this shit...

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... y/2339287/

In a second interview with FBI agents, Moreno stated that, "he did it out of the desire to 'wake people up,'" according to the affidavit. "Moreno stated that he thought that the U.S.N.S. Mercy was suspicious and did not believe 'the ship is what they say it's for.'"
He really went...

...off the rails.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm
Detroit wrote: :yikes:
If that guy was jamming Crazy Train then I vote to acquit.
:mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 pm

I put a feeler out for a house sitter through my cycling friends network. Found one of the dude's kids was interested. He's like 21 years old and a total introvert with no friends who loves animals. I pay him $50 a night to hang out at the house and feed/walk the dog and make sure she doesn't squish the cat. It's been great.
I so wish I could find that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:29 pm

There's a handful of apps/websites to help you find these people. Indiana we lucked out and found a middle aged woman who cleaned AND would stay at the house with the dogs. 5/7 set-up. Right now we've got a neighbor girl that stays with them on occasion
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:53 pm

$800 is cheap AF for a “designer” :doge:
It’s expensive to properly raise a litter of puppies for adoption.

Source: wifey has been an owner/breeder/handler for a large part of her life, so clearly :wrong:
Right...there's puppy mills then there's legit breeders. Very different things. My mom and aunt are into the breeding lyfe, and they look down on my pound puppy.

Ultimately, it's what works best for each individual and what they're comfortable with. Pure breads from a breeder are preferred by many. And that's fine.

It's buying from pet stores or unknown sources on CL or FB Marketplace or whatever where things get sketchy.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm
There's a handful of apps/websites to help you find these people. Indiana we lucked out and found a middle aged woman who cleaned AND would stay at the house with the dogs. 5/7 set-up. Right now we've got a neighbor girl that stays with them on occasion
Yea, last I looked the app (I don't remember which one) said people wanted $100/night in my area.

Boarding is less than half that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:18 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Yea, last I looked the app (I don't remember which one) said people wanted $100/night in my area.

Boarding is less than half that.
:word:

$100/night is :fullretard: I think we paid our lady something like $30/night which is also what our boarder charged for 2 dogs.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...