MrH's Garage Carousel

Strut your greasy stuff!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:01 am
MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:41 am The potential reliability issue is totally overblown. How many engines have popped so far? A couple? They're going to sell something like 12k GR86 and 5k BRZ in the US this year. A couple of cars out of 17k/year in sales is not a huge amount. And I think all but maybe one is getting replaced by warranty? And they'll probably cave and replace that one too.

Of all things to worry about in my life, this is not one of them. This sounds a lot more like looking for reasons to :plac: than legitimate concern.
:dat:

I still don't see how a warranty will be denied. Yes if you walk in and tell them "I was tracking the car and it blew up" but you get it towed out of the track and to the dealer and tell them you were going to church story it would be weird to get a denial.

Are toyotas sophisticated enough to log all engine run times/g forces with geolocation ? If so that's a different issue all together.
Yes. They also have GPS tracking.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:12 am

I still don't see how a warranty will be denied. Yes if you walk in and tell them "I was tracking the car and it blew up" but you get it towed out of the track and to the dealer and tell them you were going to church story it would be weird to get a denial.

Are toyotas sophisticated enough to log all engine run times/g forces with geolocation ? If so that's a different issue all together.
NOOOOOOOoooooo. You are kidding. Thats not a thing is it?!?!?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Bmw allows me to opt out of that data sharing. I believe my Tacoma allowed it also.

So there is some sort of large data repository with everyone’s cars entire life’s data on how it was used ?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:21 am

Bmw allows me to opt out of that data sharing. I believe my Tacoma allowed it also.

So there is some sort of large data repository with everyone’s cars entire life’s data on how it was used ?
My BMW sends service information to the local :dillerman:. They called because it was time for my earl change. I told her I already took care of it. She wanted to know where I took it if not to the :dillerman:. I said I changed it in my garage. :mindblown: conversation over.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:21 am

My BMW sends service information to the local :dillerman:. They called because it was time for my earl change. I told her I already took care of it. She wanted to know where I took it if not to the :dillerman:. I said I changed it in my garage. :mindblown: conversation over.
I think that’s more of a sales pitch to get the dillerman lube job without lube
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:41 am The potential reliability issue is totally overblown. How many engines have popped so far? A couple? They're going to sell something like 12k GR86 and 5k BRZ in the US this year. A couple of cars out of 17k/year in sales is not a huge amount. And I think all but maybe one is getting replaced by warranty? And they'll probably cave and replace that one too.

Of all things to worry about in my life, this is not one of them. This sounds a lot more like looking for reasons to :plac: than legitimate concern.
This is certainly the direction I'm leaning. I will have a powertrain warranty for five years so even if the pressure drops in left handers cause premature wear, it'll probably either go in that time or it's going to be fine for a while.

A lot of the cup cars actually blew from my research (like 10% of the field or something) but I assume those are on way stickier tires, faster drivers, etc.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I was skeptical this deal was going to work out in time, but it just got delivered to the dealership this morning. If it didn't make it this calendar year, I probably would have not gone through with the deal because of tax reasons. As mentioned in the :plac: thread:

- Ford Lightning Lariat Extended Range is replacing the Bolt EUV
- Bolt was a good car for what it was. Put nearly 14,000 miles on it in 9 months.
- Originally had a deposit on a Ford Lightning, but then they jacked up the pricing substantially before delivering them in any volume
- Canceled my pre-order
- Now the market has tanked on them, and got a killer deal on an even more loaded one than what I wanted and couldn't resist.
- This will be my daily driver and commuter. Only way I could justify having a truck at the house is to commute in it, and the operational cost would have been massive unless it was an EV. Rivian was too expensive to ever seriously consider.

Ford has now cut shifts and reducing volume for next year. I might have lucked into the best Ford Lightning deal out there, according to the forums and reddit. Incentives have all dried up.

MSRP in June + Destination: $87,869

-$8500 MSRP reduction

MSRP + Destination: $79,885

-$7500 negotiated off
-$7500 in Ford incentive cash that was only available for a few weeks before cancelling it early because too many were jumping on board
-$7500 EV credit in the spring

All things considered, it's <$58k without trade in, tax title, etc.

I always said if I could get into a good EV truck for <$60k I'd do it. The fact it's a loaded Lariat with the big battery makes it even better.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Looks like the :dill: of all dills.

Your salesman isn't getting a vacation to the bahamas on that commission.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:26 am I was skeptical this deal was going to work out in time, but it just got delivered to the dealership this morning. If it didn't make it this calendar year, I probably would have not gone through with the deal because of tax reasons. As mentioned in the :plac: thread:

- Ford Lightning Lariat Extended Range is replacing the Bolt EUV
- Bolt was a good car for what it was. Put nearly 14,000 miles on it in 9 months.
- Originally had a deposit on a Ford Lightning, but then they jacked up the pricing substantially before delivering them in any volume
- Canceled my pre-order
- Now the market has tanked on them, and got a killer deal on an even more loaded one than what I wanted and couldn't resist.
- This will be my daily driver and commuter. Only way I could justify having a truck at the house is to commute in it, and the operational cost would have been massive unless it was an EV. Rivian was too expensive to ever seriously consider.

Ford has now cut shifts and reducing volume for next year. I might have lucked into the best Ford Lightning deal out there, according to the forums and reddit. Incentives have all dried up.

MSRP in June + Destination: $87,869

-$8500 MSRP reduction

MSRP + Destination: $79,885

-$7500 negotiated off
-$7500 in Ford incentive cash that was only available for a few weeks before cancelling it early because too many were jumping on board
-$7500 EV credit in the spring

All things considered, it's <$58k without trade in, tax title, etc.

I always said if I could get into a good EV truck for <$60k I'd do it. The fact it's a loaded Lariat with the big battery makes it even better.
That's exactly why Fraud is losing billions in their EV division. The entire market that everyone thought was "sustainable" at 70-200k for EVs is simply not there. Most people can't afford 2k in deprecitation PER MONTH for 5 years.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I picked it up last week on Friday, but have been busy with family and work stuff this week.  Here are a few pics.  Ignore the yellowish color of the front light bar.  Just a trick on the camera because of the flashing rate of the LEDs.  It's definitely white in person.

I really love the rear taillights.  They flare out from the body, and the light bar connecting is awesome.  Looks much better than the standard F-150 IMO

The screen is huge.  Everyone that has been in it can't get over the size of the screen (my parents especially).  This was taken with a macro lens, so it's a bit misleading

The American flag stuff is a bit over the top, but I also love it.  There are more in the interior.

The size of the aluminum lower controls is wild.  It's hard to capture in pictures.

Room in the back is huge with the seats folded up.  The tuxmat for this area is comically big.

I measured it and knew it would fit in the garage, but man, it's tight.  Took a few days, but now I can pull in with no issue.  Just a few inches of clearance front and back.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Not really "mods", but some accessories and things I'm adding:

- Tuxmats
- Cargo net for the front trunk
- Installed all the box cleats that came with it
- Removed the dealer and UAW decals etc
- Front and rear dash cam.  Got one that looks OEM and installs just under the mirror and plugs into the mirror power.
- Shorter antenna. The big whip antenna gets caught on the garage door every time I go in and out
- Might get a tonneau cover at some point, but not in a huge rush.

Forgot to mention, BlueCruise was rarely activating for the first few days.  On Wednesday, I pulled the fuse for it.  The dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but now it's working perfectly.  Just needed a hard reset.  Basically turns on anytime I'm on a highway.

Oh.  And I had both cars out while I was organizing the garage.  This is from my window, but it kind of shows how tiny the BRZ is in comparison.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Nice NOT-A- :truk: !
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:33 pm Not really "mods", but some accessories and things I'm adding:

- Tuxmats
- Cargo net for the front trunk
- Installed all the box cleats that came with it
- Removed the dealer and UAW decals etc
- Front and rear dash cam.  Got one that looks OEM and installs just under the mirror and plugs into the mirror power.
- Shorter antenna. The big whip antenna gets caught on the garage door every time I go in and out
- Might get a tonneau cover at some point, but not in a huge rush.

Forgot to mention, BlueCruise was rarely activating for the first few days.  On Wednesday, I pulled the fuse for it.  The dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but now it's working perfectly.  Just needed a hard reset.  Basically turns on anytime I'm on a highway.

Oh.  And I had both cars out while I was organizing the garage.  This is from my window, but it kind of shows how tiny the BRZ is in comparison.

What’s your consumption ? Mi/kw?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:45 pm Nice NOT-A- :truk: !
If only it was a real truck... :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I'm ashamed they put my country's flag on a CAR that can't even tow.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:45 pm I'm ashamed they put my country's flag on a CAR that can't even tow.
Inorite? :|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:22 pm What’s your consumption ? Mi/kw?

It's been around 1.7-2.0 mi/kWh. Granted, it's winter, and I'm mostly driving on the highway at 70+ mph. Around town I can get closer to 2.4-2.5.

It's a big change from the Bolt, which at it's worse would be 2.7 with the heat on max, going 75-80 mph. And could get 4.0 mi/kWh in good weather around town.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, as long as I have enough range. The battery pack is so big, I think even in the worst scenarios, I'll have 200+ miles of range.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:27 am
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:22 pm What’s your consumption ? Mi/kw?

It's been around 1.7-2.0 mi/kWh. Granted, it's winter, and I'm mostly driving on the highway at 70+ mph. Around town I can get closer to 2.4-2.5.

It's a big change from the Bolt, which at it's worse would be 2.7 with the heat on max, going 75-80 mph. And could get 4.0 mi/kWh in good weather around town.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, as long as I have enough range. The battery pack is so big, I think even in the worst scenarios, I'll have 200+ miles of range.
1.7-2 sounds like what I’d expect. 130kw battery pack should give you a decent range with that

I noticed that public chargers steadily went from 20-30 cents per kw to 40-70 cents which is insane. That’s on par with gasoline now as far as costs. I charge at home for “free” but public charging is going down the hill fast. Which is unfortunate.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:17 pm
MrH42 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:27 am

1.7-2 sounds like what I’d expect. 130kw battery pack should give you a decent range with that

I noticed that public chargers steadily went from 20-30 cents per kw to 40-70 cents which is insane. That’s on par with gasoline now as far as costs. I charge at home for “free” but public charging is going down the hill fast. Which is unfortunate.
Yeah, the forums of both the Bolt and Lightning are clogged with people bitching about public charging cost. Some of these idiots bought EVs without having a home charger, which is insane to me.

I’m ok with public charging being cost equivalent to gas. I’ll only use it once or twice a year, if that. The savings comes from the daily grind and charging at home for next to nothing.
max225

Yea that and the time wasted “waiting” to charge. Owning an ev is very different from a gasoline vehicle certain pros and cons have to be planned for and thought out. Appartment dwellers sitting for hours each week at charging stations must be :disgust: and may erode ev values further once they start dumping them
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:40 pm Yea that and the time wasted “waiting” to charge. Owning an ev is very different from a gasoline vehicle certain pros and cons have to be planned for and thought out. Appartment dwellers sitting for hours each week at charging stations must be :disgust: and may erode ev values further once they start dumping them
Dude, I had a guy buy a house in Gastonia, then 6 months later sold it. When I asked why, it’s because he bought an EV and didn’t have a charger at home. I’m like dude, put a charger in….

This guy would wake up a few hours before he needed to be in charlotte for work and go to one of those public charging stations and just wait. It was wild to me. Before he sold I even priced out putting one in at his house ($950).

Now his rent is literally double his mortgage and he still doesn’t have a charging station as his apartment.

I’m intrigued by the EV life, but would love to see a bit more infrastructure and how durability plays out before I invest.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:40 pm Yea that and the time wasted “waiting” to charge. Owning an ev is very different from a gasoline vehicle certain pros and cons have to be planned for and thought out. Appartment dwellers sitting for hours each week at charging stations must be :disgust: and may erode ev values further once they start dumping them
Dude, I had a guy buy a house in Gastonia, then 6 months later sold it. When I asked why, it’s because he bought an EV and didn’t have a charger at home. I’m like dude, put a charger in….

This guy would wake up a few hours before he needed to be in charlotte for work and go to one of those public charging stations and just wait. It was wild to me. Before he sold I even priced out putting one in at his house ($950).

Now his rent is literally double his mortgage and he still doesn’t have a charging station as his apartment.

I’m intrigued by the EV life, but would love to see a bit more infrastructure and how durability plays out before I invest.
That's so wild
max225

Sounds like a supremely bright :derp:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

My neighbor who drives a bolt does that on a weekly basis and leaves the car out overnight on a weekly basis to charge. Definitely not good when you make spontaneous decisions, or perhaps emergencies.

Same thing when I rented the polestar 2 for a few nights. It took me about an hour or 2 to figure out, after crazy research and finding out the company of the chargers that is walking distance from my apartment.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

This guy works for you??? I'd be questioning his ability to think ahead and plan.

I'm totally blown away by some of the people on these forums. One guy bought a Chevy Bolt with no charging at home, with the intent to doordash and Uber all day with it. Complains non stop about the cost of public charging and how slow it is with the Bolt. A guy with a Lightning complains because he bought it specifically to heavy duty tow long distances.

How do people make these giant, expensive financial decisions without understanding the basics of how it works?
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 pm My neighbor who drives a bolt does that on a weekly basis and leaves the car out overnight on a weekly basis to charge. Definitely not good when you make spontaneous decisions, or perhaps emergencies.

Same thing when I rented the polestar 2 for a few nights. It took me about an hour or 2 to figure out, after crazy research and finding out the company of the chargers that is walking distance from my apartment.
An EV without having a home charger is a terrible idea. But if you have to do it, the Bolt is probably the worst choice. It's probably the slowest DC charging EV out there? I never took mine on a road trip for that reason.