MrH's Garage Carousel

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:15 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:34 am
I heard this before also.. but I think I’m doing 48 amps on my 50. It draws about 10.5kw
10,500 watts / 240 volts = 43.75 amps. 50*0.8=40 Close enough for codes. Line voltage can vary a few percent too, and there is always some voltage drop with large loads.
Makes cents. I am still shocked (pun intended) at the 80 amp big boy mentioned... my house breaker is only 100 amps... that's an enormous load.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 am
MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

- I opened the Ford Mobile Charger that was included with the truck. Apparently it only supports 32 amps. The Bolt charger did 40 amps, so charging is a bit slower.

:doubt:

breakers on constant loads, like an EV, are derated per code 20%. 40x0.8=32. unless you had a 60 or 80 amp breaker installed AND you can tell the charge controller this somehow I highly doubt it went all the way to 40 amps.

:themoreyouknow:
50 amp circuit. Bolt charger could pull close to 40 amps. Ford charger can pull 32 amps max, but rarely hit that.

MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:15 am

10,500 watts / 240 volts = 43.75 amps. 50*0.8=40 Close enough for codes. Line voltage can vary a few percent too, and there is always some voltage drop with large loads.
Makes cents. I am still shocked (pun intended) at the 80 amp big boy mentioned... my house breaker is only 100 amps... that's an enormous load.
Yeah, it's wild. Requires a 100 amp breaker. The entire house breaker is rated for 200 amps. This is what my electrician said about adding this monster.
You should be receiving our proposal to add your Ford Charger. This proposal includes the installation of the charger from your main panel. One caveat, after doing a load calculation adding the 100 amp Ford charger brings you to 196/200 if you keep both the 50 amp NEMA and add the 100 amp Ford Charger. This is close to the point where we would recommend load management but you if you don't intend to use both chargers at the same time you won't have any issues and you may still be able to use them both depending on what other appliances are running in the house at the time of charging. This is the route I would recommend, and if for some reason you had issues with tripping down the line we could add a load management device to prevent the tripping. This device is around $700 so I'd hold off unless you absolutely need to use it.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 am

:doubt:

breakers on constant loads, like an EV, are derated per code 20%. 40x0.8=32. unless you had a 60 or 80 amp breaker installed AND you can tell the charge controller this somehow I highly doubt it went all the way to 40 amps.

50 amp circuit. Bolt charger could pull close to 40 amps. Ford charger can pull 32 amps max, but rarely hit that.

:nice:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Ordered a tonneau cover. Researched for awhile and picked one. Turns out, it's the same one my boss and 2 others at work went with too. Seems to give the best of a hard cover and a soft cover. Aluminum strakes run across so it can't be cut with a knife, can hold some snow on it, etc. But then you can roll it up without totally blocking the rear window. It locks down into place. To open it, you drop the tailgate and pull a cable to unlatch it. Gives me a giant, semi water proof secure trunk, but doesn't make the bed useless if I need to carry something big.

Ordered it Tuesday afternoon around 2, and it's going to be here today. Shocked how fast they shipped it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Those hard roll tops are the best.
max225

Too late now… but I really like tri folds. Let me know how you like that one
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:21 am Too late now… but I really like tri folds. Let me know how you like that one
Those seem to be the most popular design. I just didn't like that when folded up, they block the back window. This was around the same price and I like the design more. Going to put it on this weekend and see what it's like.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I drove the BRZ into work today. First time driving it since I bought the Lightning. It's probably been 2 months in garage purgatory because of snow.

It's about as dramatic of a difference between two cars as I could possible imagine. Everything feels so tiny and light. Steering wheel feels half the size. Center armrest is maybe 25% as wide. No driver aids. Actually have to use the brake pedal. No efficiency number calculations to look at or think about.

The infotainment is shocking. It's like looking at third world Android phone vs a TV for navigation.

Might be doing a weekend trip to the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky with some old college roommates. The Lightning can likely make it there and back with just one DC fast charge. Might give it a shot. I still haven't DC fast charged with the Bolt or Lightning. A few level 2 public charging, mostly to just get a parking space.
max225

Does the lightning support pull up and charge stuff where the car is recognized by the charger without the need for an app etc ?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 am Does the lightning support pull up and charge stuff where the car is recognized by the charger without the need for an app etc ?
Technically, yes. How reliable it is? Who knows. I've heard mixed stories, mostly bad. I don't think any are working as smoothly as Tesla's in-house setup.

Ford has something they call the BlueOval Charge Network. Basically, they partner with charging station companies, and roll it all under their app. Supposedly, Electrify America, ChargePoint, EV Go, etc, you should be able to roll up, plugin, and have it start without messing with apps. And then it'll just charge the credit card on file with your Ford Pass app. In 2024, Tesla superchargers are supposed to be added to this, which will be nice if it works as intended. I think I'll just need to keep a NACS to CCS adapter in the truck which isn't a big deal.

I have 250 kWh for free from Electrify America, so this wouldn't be a bad trip to try it on. One, or maybe 2 really short charging stops is all that would be required and there are a handful of options if some chargers are down.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:59 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:50 am Does the lightning support pull up and charge stuff where the car is recognized by the charger without the need for an app etc ?
Technically, yes. How reliable it is? Who knows. I've heard mixed stories, mostly bad. I don't think any are working as smoothly as Tesla's in-house setup.

Ford has something they call the BlueOval Charge Network. Basically, they partner with charging station companies, and roll it all under their app. Supposedly, Electrify America, ChargePoint, EV Go, etc, you should be able to roll up, plugin, and have it start without messing with apps. And then it'll just charge the credit card on file with your Ford Pass app. In 2024, Tesla superchargers are supposed to be added to this, which will be nice if it works as intended. I think I'll just need to keep a NACS to CCS adapter in the truck which isn't a big deal.

I have 250 kWh for free from Electrify America, so this wouldn't be a bad trip to try it on. One, or maybe 2 really short charging stops is all that would be required and there are a handful of options if some chargers are down.
Yea I haven’t used a public charger in my bmws. But they received some OTA update that is supposed to allow this.

Was curious how it worked … I’m tied to the lovely EA network :doe: as it’s “free” for 2 years
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:30 am I drove the BRZ into work today. First time driving it since I bought the Lightning. It's probably been 2 months in garage purgatory because of snow.

It's about as dramatic of a difference between two cars as I could possible imagine. Everything feels so tiny and light. Steering wheel feels half the size. Center armrest is maybe 25% as wide. No driver aids. Actually have to use the brake pedal. No efficiency number calculations to look at or think about.

The infotainment is shocking. It's like looking at third world Android phone vs a TV for navigation.

Might be doing a weekend trip to the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky with some old college roommates. The Lightning can likely make it there and back with just one DC fast charge. Might give it a shot. I still haven't DC fast charged with the Bolt or Lightning. A few level 2 public charging, mostly to just get a parking space.
:lolol: nice comparison. It’s funny, the Wrangler has an even smaller screen and any time I drive it, I’m shocked at first then :aintcare: Most of my miles are in rentals that generally have larger screens but :iono: they all do the same shit.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Updates on the cars:

Installed the tonneau cover on the truck. Looks really nice, wasn't too awful to install. Zero impact on efficiency or anything, but that was expected. I also finished the dash cam install, so now I've got a front and rear camera that's all tucked in nice and tidy with no cables hanging. I added a latch system so I can access behind the rear seat on the drive side. Not a ton of room there because that's where the sub sits, but good to stash some rarely used things.

I also installed a phone mount thing. It's the most truck lifestyle branded thing ever. The brand is called Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions. Their logo is literally an American flag made of 50 caliber rounds. :lolol: Basically an overbuilt, metal rack that sits behind the infotainment screen on the dash that allows you to bolt things to it. Now I've got a phone mount that puts it up in my line of sight. There are a lot of things that I can't control through Carplay, so I prefer not to bury it on the wireless charger in the center console.

So far, so good with the truck. It's not nearly as efficient as I was expecting, but it's enough range for my use. I'm more impressed by the F-150 type things than the tech. They really have done a great job refining it. So much storage, space for things. Just really well thought out. The tech is a bit frustrating. I have yet to receive an OTA update. They roll them out in batches at the slowest pace. I'm multiple iterations behind other cars. It's all minor stuff, but it seems weird that they have so many vehicles all on different release versions. I would think once they realize it's a stable release, they'd roll things out faster.

The big boy 80 amp charger gets installed on Monday.

As for the BRZ, finally unplugged the noise generator. So much better, wish I did this on day 1. Doesn't sound like the car is in agony about being revved anymore. Also installed the knee pads I bought from EightyZips awhile back.

Both cars are just around 2,400 miles or so now. Feel like I just got the Lightning, and it's already surpassing the BRZ in mileage.
max225

:dat: tactical phone mount with a thin blue line I hope
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

You must be why I got fed ads for bullet point a couple weeks ago for no reason
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I used to get ads for that company all the time when looking at Jeep accessories :lolol:
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

MrH42 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:41 am Updates on the cars:

Installed the tonneau cover on the truck. Looks really nice, wasn't too awful to install. Zero impact on efficiency or anything, but that was expected. I also finished the dash cam install, so now I've got a front and rear camera that's all tucked in nice and tidy with no cables hanging. I added a latch system so I can access behind the rear seat on the drive side. Not a ton of room there because that's where the sub sits, but good to stash some rarely used things.

I also installed a phone mount thing. It's the most truck lifestyle branded thing ever. The brand is called Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions. Their logo is literally an American flag made of 50 caliber rounds. :lolol: Basically an overbuilt, metal rack that sits behind the infotainment screen on the dash that allows you to bolt things to it. Now I've got a phone mount that puts it up in my line of sight. There are a lot of things that I can't control through Carplay, so I prefer not to bury it on the wireless charger in the center console.

So far, so good with the truck. It's not nearly as efficient as I was expecting, but it's enough range for my use. I'm more impressed by the F-150 type things than the tech. They really have done a great job refining it. So much storage, space for things. Just really well thought out. The tech is a bit frustrating. I have yet to receive an OTA update. They roll them out in batches at the slowest pace. I'm multiple iterations behind other cars. It's all minor stuff, but it seems weird that they have so many vehicles all on different release versions. I would think once they realize it's a stable release, they'd roll things out faster.

As for the BRZ, finally unplugged the noise generator. So much better, wish I did this on day 1. Doesn't sound like the car is in agony about being revved anymore. Also installed the knee pads I bought from EightyZips awhile back.

Both cars are just around 2,400 miles or so now. Feel like I just got the Lightning, and it's already surpassing the BRZ in mileage.
I feel like you need this phone case now…..

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:32 pm
MrH42 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:41 am Updates on the cars:

:lolol: nothing says America like making your phone not fit in your pocket.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Do you find the BRZ too quiet without the shitty noise maker? I enjoy having the GR exhaust to drown out road noise and make some entertaining sounds.

Any plans to track the BRZ or take it to the mountains or anything? There were actually some kinda cool roads near Cincinnati when I was there last week but the CX30 was not interesting.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:22 pm :dat: tactical phone mount with a thin blue line I hope
:lolol:
I'm pretty damn patriotic, the thin blue line is a bridge way too far for me

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:32 pm

Ford does offer a locking center console safe, pretty much exclusively so you can lock your gun in it. When I was shopping around, I was kind of surprised. Never crossed my mind to offer it, but it makes sense.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:08 pm Do you find the BRZ too quiet without the shitty noise maker? I enjoy having the GR exhaust to drown out road noise and make some entertaining sounds.

Any plans to track the BRZ or take it to the mountains or anything? There were actually some kinda cool roads near Cincinnati when I was there last week but the CX30 was not interesting.
:wap: Maybe I'm just old. I like how quiet it is. I wouldn't mind a slightly louder exhaust. Maybe like a Nameless Performance with the mufflers and everything. Probably don't want it enough to spend $1400 on it though. Life is expensive enough these days.

No plans to track it as of now. I think I'd prefer to just go do another OEM performance driving day or go karting more. I feel much better about beating the shit out of someone else's car. We have some decent backroads around here. Might take a road trip in it to some place more fun, but that's about it.

I mostly just enjoy having a small, NA, manual transmission, RWD car that looks good that I can enjoy puttering around here that's drastically different than the 7,000 lb spaceship. I would prefer a convertible, but I appreciate actually fitting in this car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:08 pm Do you find the BRZ too quiet without the shitty noise maker? I enjoy having the GR exhaust to drown out road noise and make some entertaining sounds.

:wap: Maybe I'm just old. I like how quiet it is. I wouldn't mind a slightly louder exhaust. Maybe like a Nameless Performance with the mufflers and everything. Probably don't want it enough to spend $1400 on it though. Life is expensive enough these days.

No plans to track it as of now. I think I'd prefer to just go do another OEM performance driving day or go karting more. I feel much better about beating the shit out of someone else's car. We have some decent backroads around here. Might take a road trip in it to some place more fun, but that's about it.

I mostly just enjoy having a small, NA, manual transmission, RWD car that looks good that I can enjoy puttering around here that's drastically different than the 7,000 lb spaceship. I would prefer a convertible, but I appreciate actually fitting in this car.
Since I really haven’t tracked so much anymore I at times wish for a ‘vert as well. They seem to be cheaper than their coupe counterparts which makes things like Boxsters, 911s, and M3s in drop top form interesting. But I enjoy the low stress of owning something newer/Japanese.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:11 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 am

Since I really haven’t tracked so much anymore I at times wish for a ‘vert as well. They seem to be cheaper than their coupe counterparts which makes things like Boxsters, 911s, and M3s in drop top form interesting. But I enjoy the low stress of owning something newer/Japanese.
Newer + japanese is the way. I don't have the time or patience for older car stuff.

If the ND was maybe 5-10% bigger, and 5-10% cheaper, it would have been a no brainer. But a loaded Miata ended up being quite a bit more. I think a manual Grand Touring is now like $36k? And the club is $34k. Recaro seats and you're at $38k.

My BRZ was $31k flat before tax. For a car that I don't drive much, an extra $5k-$7k is a huge price increase. The wife will occasionally ride in this too. I think a Miata would be a hard pass typically.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:17 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:11 pm

Newer + japanese is the way. I don't have the time or patience for older car stuff.

If the ND was maybe 5-10% bigger, and 5-10% cheaper, it would have been a no brainer. But a loaded Miata ended up being quite a bit more. I think a manual Grand Touring is now like $36k? And the club is $34k. Recaro seats and you're at $38k.

My BRZ was $31k flat before tax. For a car that I don't drive much, an extra $5k-$7k is a huge price increase. The wife will occasionally ride in this too. I think a Miata would be a hard pass typically.
Funny I think my wife would like a Miata more but she likes the 86 fine.