MrH's Garage Carousel

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:47 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:40 pm Yea that and the time wasted “waiting” to charge. Owning an ev is very different from a gasoline vehicle certain pros and cons have to be planned for and thought out. Appartment dwellers sitting for hours each week at charging stations must be :disgust: and may erode ev values further once they start dumping them
Dude, I had a guy buy a house in Gastonia, then 6 months later sold it. When I asked why, it’s because he bought an EV and didn’t have a charger at home. I’m like dude, put a charger in….

This guy would wake up a few hours before he needed to be in charlotte for work and go to one of those public charging stations and just wait. It was wild to me. Before he sold I even priced out putting one in at his house ($950).

Now his rent is literally double his mortgage and he still doesn’t have a charging station as his apartment.

I’m intrigued by the EV life, but would love to see a bit more infrastructure and how durability plays out before I invest.
:lolol: Well... Gastonia... :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:16 am

Dude, I had a guy buy a house in Gastonia, then 6 months later sold it. When I asked why, it’s because he bought an EV and didn’t have a charger at home. I’m like dude, put a charger in….

This guy would wake up a few hours before he needed to be in charlotte for work and go to one of those public charging stations and just wait. It was wild to me. Before he sold I even priced out putting one in at his house ($950).

Now his rent is literally double his mortgage and he still doesn’t have a charging station as his apartment.

I’m intrigued by the EV life, but would love to see a bit more infrastructure and how durability plays out before I invest.
This guy works for you??? I'd be questioning his ability to think ahead and plan.

I'm totally blown away by some of the people on these forums. One guy bought a Chevy Bolt with no charging at home, with the intent to doordash and Uber all day with it. Complains non stop about the cost of public charging and how slow it is with the Bolt. A guy with a Lightning complains because he bought it specifically to heavy duty tow long distances.

How do people make these giant, expensive financial decisions without understanding the basics of how it works?
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 pm My neighbor who drives a bolt does that on a weekly basis and leaves the car out overnight on a weekly basis to charge. Definitely not good when you make spontaneous decisions, or perhaps emergencies.

Same thing when I rented the polestar 2 for a few nights. It took me about an hour or 2 to figure out, after crazy research and finding out the company of the chargers that is walking distance from my apartment.
An EV without having a home charger is a terrible idea. But if you have to do it, the Bolt is probably the worst choice. It's probably the slowest DC charging EV out there? I never took mine on a road trip for that reason.
What is most shocking of all is that these people have the money to purchase a $90K truck (oh sorry, forgot it isn't a truck) while being that dumb.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:29 pm

Sounds like a supremely bright :derp:
Gotta be something more to this story like the dude rents over his favorite poonslayer bar or some such.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:09 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:29 pm

Sounds like a supremely bright :derp:
Gotta be something more to this story like the dude rents over his favorite poonslayer bar or some such.
I checked Gastonia... its not exactly paradise on earth... lots of RE to be had in the 300-400k range... which explains the abysmal school ratings... likely got some crime in there as well...
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:01 pm

I checked Gastonia... its not exactly paradise on earth... lots of RE to be had in the 300-400k range... which explains the abysmal school ratings... likely got some crime in there as well...
Gastonia is great if you don’t mind driving an hour + for work, and like crackheads, inbreds, gang violence, and shitty chain restaurants and malls. It’s well worth paying the “charlotte premium” in my opinion.

I think the guy owed some gambling debts or something. He was quite literally my dumbest client of 2022. He also didn’t withhold his gains from the sell of his house, so he now owes back taxes.

Also, checked in on him from the guy who referred me and he apparently sold his EV and bought an accord.
max225

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:50 pm

Gastonia is great if you don’t mind driving an hour + for work, and like crackheads, inbreds, gang violence, and shitty chain restaurants and malls. It’s well worth paying the “charlotte premium” in my opinion.

I think the guy owed some gambling debts or something. He was quite literally my dumbest client of 2022. He also didn’t withhold his gains from the sell of his house, so he now owes back taxes.

Also, checked in on him from the guy who referred me and he apparently sold his EV and bought an accord.
Seems like he made a smart decision there... although he likely got jack shit on trade and paid markup
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:56 pm

Seems like he made a smart decision there... although he likely got jack shit on trade and paid markup
Some people just can’t get out of their own way man. Financial illiteracy in this country is at an all time high.

Side note, he hit on my photographer when she came to take the pictures. She called me saying he gave her the creeps. Wish he would have stayed in the gas house.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:56 pm

Some people just can’t get out of their own way man. Financial illiteracy in this country is at an all time high.

Side note, he hit on my photographer when she came to take the pictures. She called me saying he gave her the creeps. Wish he would have stayed in the gas house.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It is the least desirable town in all of the Charlotte Metro IMO.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:01 pm

Monroe has entered the chat….
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:01 pm

Splitting hairs, you probably spend more time in both so I'll defer to you but in my brain Gastonia is bottom of the barrel. At least you can drink booze in public in Monroe?
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:11 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:02 pm

Splitting hairs, you probably spend more time in both so I'll defer to you but in my brain Gastonia is bottom of the barrel. At least you can drink booze in public in Monroe?
Higher likelihood you get stabbed as well. Plus 74/Independence is always the death of me every time I do that way. I would much rather live in the gas house.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:11 pm

Higher likelihood you get stabbed as well. Plus 74/Independence is always the death of me every time I do that way. I would much rather live in the gas house.
I guess I also don't think of Monroe as Charlotte Metro but I suppose it is.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My friend's aunt and uncle live in Monroe. They're in the woods with a salt water pool, palm trees, and a giant telescope observatory thing with a full basement bar behind a book case. So maybe I don't really know Monroe.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:16 am

This guy works for you??? I'd be questioning his ability to think ahead and plan.

I'm totally blown away by some of the people on these forums. One guy bought a Chevy Bolt with no charging at home, with the intent to doordash and Uber all day with it. Complains non stop about the cost of public charging and how slow it is with the Bolt. A guy with a Lightning complains because he bought it specifically to heavy duty tow long distances.

How do people make these giant, expensive financial decisions without understanding the basics of how it works?
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 pm My neighbor who drives a bolt does that on a weekly basis and leaves the car out overnight on a weekly basis to charge. Definitely not good when you make spontaneous decisions, or perhaps emergencies.

Same thing when I rented the polestar 2 for a few nights. It took me about an hour or 2 to figure out, after crazy research and finding out the company of the chargers that is walking distance from my apartment.
An EV without having a home charger is a terrible idea. But if you have to do it, the Bolt is probably the worst choice. It's probably the slowest DC charging EV out there? I never took mine on a road trip for that reason.
:dat: it almost felt no different than my accoed range wise (I commute from North DC/MD to downtown dc ~6 miles one way) 19-22 mpg resulting 250 per tank (accords have a small tank). Once a week i go to VA and some roadtrips.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Ok, I've talked about how great this thing is. But the range estimation on this thing is bad. I don't understand the logic at all.

Charge to 90% every night as recommended. This morning, says I have 271 miles of range. That implies a 2.3 mi/kWh efficiency. I have never once gotten that. I drive 35 miles to work. I'm now down to 74% charge. Calculates to 1.68 mi/kWh. That's pretty much exactly what my trip computer has been saying this whole time.

What does the range estimate on the car show now? 191 miles of range, 74% charge. Implies a 1.97 mi/kWh.

It is waaaaay too slow to adjust the meter to your actual consumption rate, and seems to reset to be overly optimistic. Every charge resets back to 2.3 mi/kWh assumptions.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

That's odd as the Mach-E has reportedly been very accurate. Ford couldn't give you the fucked 10spd programming so they came up with something else for Lightnings?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 am Ok, I've talked about how great this thing is. But the range estimation on this thing is bad. I don't understand the logic at all.

Charge to 90% every night as recommended. This morning, says I have 271 miles of range. That implies a 2.3 mi/kWh efficiency. I have never once gotten that. I drive 35 miles to work. I'm now down to 74% charge. Calculates to 1.68 mi/kWh. That's pretty much exactly what my trip computer has been saying this whole time.

What does the range estimate on the car show now? 191 miles of range, 74% charge. Implies a 1.97 mi/kWh.

It is waaaaay too slow to adjust the meter to your actual consumption rate, and seems to reset to be overly optimistic. Every charge resets back to 2.3 mi/kWh assumptions.
That would bum me out hard.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:28 am Ok, I've talked about how great this thing is. But the range estimation on this thing is bad. I don't understand the logic at all.

That’s the tesla way. They keep showing you the full
“Advertised” range of whatever it may be say 405miles. And you then drive 10 miles and lose 30 miles of range.

Also 90% ? If you’re keeping it long term I would charge to 80.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:11 am That's odd as the Mach-E has reportedly been very accurate. Ford couldn't give you the fucked 10spd programming so they came up with something else for Lightnings?
I looked it up. Apparently it used to be very accurate. Then they pushed an update to show EPA range when it's full because too many customers complained and now it's worthless :rage: :triggered:
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:49 pm That’s the tesla way. They keep showing you the full
“Advertised” range of whatever it may be say 405miles. And you then drive 10 miles and lose 30 miles of range.

Also 90% ? If you’re keeping it long term I would charge to 80.
Ford recommends 90%. The battery is listed as 131 kWh capacity, but the actual battery size is 143 kWh. They've already got a pretty healthy buffer built in.
max225

Weird everyone else recommends 80% …
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Been sick since last week. Finally drove into the office today in the winter tundra.

A few things:
- Efficiency is in the dumpster. Still plenty of range for my daily commute with only charging to 80%, but I'm glad I got the extended range. It's a big truck. Huge weight to lug around, huge interior to keep warm, huge batteries to keep warm.

The Bolt really is kind of special in their design approach. Tons of stuff was done to maximize efficiency, and it pays dividends with EVs. There's a lot of diminishing returns when you keep scaling the battery bigger and bigger. 1 kWh of battery added adds less and less range.

- I was charging the Lightning with my old Bolt charger. Dealer asked if I could throw it in with the car. I originally forgot it, and figured they'd just send it to auction anyways, but since they asked, I returned it.

- I opened the Ford Mobile Charger that was included with the truck. Apparently it only supports 32 amps. The Bolt charger did 40 amps, so charging is a bit slower.

- The massive 80 amp wall charger is getting delivered today. Need to get an electrician out to install it, but it will be nice to be able to top up fast if needed.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

- I opened the Ford Mobile Charger that was included with the truck. Apparently it only supports 32 amps. The Bolt charger did 40 amps, so charging is a bit slower.

:doubt:

breakers on constant loads, like an EV, are derated per code 20%. 40x0.8=32. unless you had a 60 or 80 amp breaker installed AND you can tell the charge controller this somehow I highly doubt it went all the way to 40 amps.

:themoreyouknow:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 am
MrH42 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:49 pm

breakers on constant loads, like an EV, are derated per code 20%. 40x0.8=32. unless you had a 60 or 80 amp breaker installed AND you can tell the charge controller this somehow I highly doubt it went all the way to 40 amps.

I heard this before also.. but I think I’m doing 48 amps on my 50. It draws about 10.5kw
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:34 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 am

I heard this before also.. but I think I’m doing 48 amps on my 50. It draws about 10.5kw
10,500 watts / 240 volts = 43.75 amps. 50*0.8=40 Close enough for codes. Line voltage can vary a few percent too, and there is always some voltage drop with large loads.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.