Cell phone / wireless discussion & deals

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14543
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:11 am

The pixel 3a on Sprint has been money. Also, turn on wifi calling.
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 pm

I am big proponent of buying used....but it seems Wally World is selling new Galaxy S8s for $299...... and S9's for $399. I might look into this.....

Turboedit.... It seems this a prepaid only deal through Straight Talk..... :nevermind:
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
:nice: I am still rocking the S5 ZFG ..... recently cracked the screen but I have a back up S5 that was my daughters......debating whether to go with something with a bigger screen :doe:
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14543
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Irish wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:41 pm
I am big proponent of buying used....but it seems Wally World is selling new Galaxy S8s for $299...... and S9's for $399. I might look into this.....

Turboedit.... It seems this a prepaid only deal through Straight Talk..... :nevermind:
Dude for that money get a pixel 3a. Mine has been phenomenal
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14543
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
I budgeted like 65 for the 25 a month per line bill for the 2 of us. Taxes and shit right?
New bill.. 58.88

:fuckyeah:
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Irish wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:01 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
:nice: I am still rocking the S5 ZFG ..... recently cracked the screen but I have a back up S5 that was my daughters......debating whether to go with something with a bigger screen :doe:
I personally don't really like the bigger screen of the 8+. I don't hate it, but the tallness of it kinda irks me at the wrong times. Getting it out of my pocket while driving sucks. Using it with one hand is no fun. This is really just a first world problem since it's the only real quirk I have with it. I was totally happy with my beat up S5. When I realized that I really only used it for a handful of things then I learned to just put up with the slowness and shit. Plus I could ignore the wife's 7 in a row texts and just say my phone sucks, I didn't get those back to back to back to back messages hun.

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32946
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

I have scheduling software that would benefit from a bigger screen .... but your size gripes have alot of merit with me..... plus I use my phone as GPS and I don't really want to have to go with a different holder..... so will prob just transfer the card over to the other S5.....and run it until it runs so slow I go back in time.....
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm

wap wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Oh forgot to update this. Wife got me a jailbroken S8+. I wanna say it might be a re-manufacture or refresh or whatever. No idea what she paid for it, but it works like new. Pretty solid. All I had to do was go to the Verizon store and pay $10 or $15 bucks for a micro sim card since my old one didn't fit.
Working awesome. Web pages load asap, apps load, and the battery life is 10X what my old S5 was. Now I'm good for another decade! Lol
Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32946
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm
wap wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 pm


Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31629
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm
Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
I budgeted like 65 for the 25 a month per line bill for the 2 of us. Taxes and shit right?
New bill.. 58.88

:fuckyeah:
Is there a promo period for that bill?
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14543
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 am
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Detroit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 pm
golftdibrad wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 pm
Update on pricing after all the activation and prepay fees have passed ....
I budgeted like 65 for the 25 a month per line bill for the 2 of us. Taxes and shit right?
New bill.. 58.88

:fuckyeah:
Is there a promo period for that bill?
Nope
Weekly :fax:
? wrote: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later that debt is paid."

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31629
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:02 pm
Detroit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Is there a promo period for that bill?
Nope
Oh wow. That's fantastic.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 33093
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm

AT&T coverage is crap compared to Verizon. Slower too.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 31629
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:33 pm
AT&T coverage is crap compared to Verizon. Slower too.
Yea, my work phone is AT&T and it blows compared to my old Verizon phones or even Google Fi.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
09vdubgti
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:27 am
Drives: Forester

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Bender wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:55 pm
09vdubgti wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 am
I recently got myself the OnePlus 7 Pro, switched over from iPhone. The phone itself is gorgeous I got it in nebula blue, and the display is insanely awesome. However, its still running on android, and its kinda glitchy. Maybe because I got too used to use my iPhone I have to get fully used to android. They boasted about the three camera set up with a 48 megapixel main camera. Not as good as my iPhone 7 plus though, they have lots of work to still do in their camera dept.

In terms of service, I used to love T-Mobile. It was inexpensive, and anytime I had an issue I always got excellent service. Now their towers are so congested at times my phone loses signal and or data. When I go to call Tmo, now I get an overseas call center. I had to complain over and over again because I wasn't getting signal at my own home. They wanted me to pay for the signal booster, I told them no. Back and forth they finally sent me their home signal booster, service is a bit better but still annoying. I know T-Mobile does "test drives" where they send you an iPhone and two weeks to try the service, might be something to look into if any of you are looking to try a new carrier.
Latest and greatest pixel will always have the best cameras.
The pixel is such an ugly phone though.

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm
wap wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 pm


Re the bolded, did Verizon transfer your data from the old to the new sim card for you?
All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2798
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Irish wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm


All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Not really much to give. The shit was automatic and I barely did anything.

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Irish wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm


I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Not really much to give. The shit was automatic and I barely did anything.
:ohdang: I will just switch the SIM card and see what happens then
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32946
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Irish wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm


All the sim card did was let me keep my same number on the new phone. No data. Surprisingly the Samsung/Google backup synced and replaced a metric shit ton of my apps and settings. I was kind of shocked at how easy the transition was. I only had to tweak a handful of things once I got it up and running
I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Same here, except old phone has a micro sim card and new phone has a nano sim so I'm :notsure: how the pimply teenager in the Verizon store will handle it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
Swedish Chef
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:05 am
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper
Location: NC

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Ordered a 11 Pro (stupid name) earlier today but I stalled for a few hours so it was no longer available at my nearby store.

I couldn’t care less about actually having it on the release date, but there’s not even an option to pick one up at a given store at a later date?
Has to be unlocked so Best Buy isn’t an option.
:baconator: Inc.

User avatar
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2036
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am
Drives: '12 GIT
Location: Home=Car Town Work=Chocolate Town

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 pm

wap wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:35 pm
Irish wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm


I am going to migrate one phone to another this weekend.... please give me the cliffnotes if you don't mind.....
Same here, except old phone has a micro sim card and new phone has a nano sim so I'm :notsure: how the pimply teenager in the Verizon store will handle it.
I had to go through this just after x mas If the AT&T store is any benchmark, It's likely gonna cost you $5-10 and about 30-60 minutes of your time
Detroit wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:15 pm

What do you say to the god of death?

Not today...

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32946
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Irish wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 pm
wap wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:35 pm


Same here, except old phone has a micro sim card and new phone has a nano sim so I'm :notsure: how the pimply teenager in the Verizon store will handle it.
I had to go through this just after x mas If the AT&T store is any benchmark, It's likely gonna cost you $5-10 and about 30-60 minutes of your time
That doesn't sound so terrible. I'll find out tomorrow at the Verizon store.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests