Pflugtag's blessed be the dam drive

Organize your DFD meat ups, hangouts, wang outs, and discuss the aftermath of such shenanigans, here.

When are you free to braaap?

June 30
1
6%
July 7
2
13%
July 14
1
6%
July 21
4
25%
Toaster
8
50%
 
Total votes: 16
User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm

DAM this looks like a fun drive.

Date: TBD, still working on this..... ***check back as date may shift***
Place: Meetup location and detailed maps will be shared with those interested in attending
Duration: 3-4 hours

RAIN CANCELS

From Exton/Downingtown to the Conowingo Dam. Roads are generally decent condition, I'll try to keep us off gravel and shitty pavement but I can only do so much. Starts out with tight winding roads. Transitions to open farm land with sweeping bends. No idea how it is on the west side of the Susquehanna. TBD.

Speed will not get out of hand. I brake for limited visibility corners and crests. Respect other road users, including CYCLISTS (3 feet minimum passing distance!) and horse/buggies (pass these slowly so you don't scare the horse). This goes through Amish countryside and you WILL get poop on your car.

Image

Who's in?

Roll call:
-Johnny - STI
-Gberg - Golf R
-Zillon - Miata
-Clownshoobie? - M coupe
-MexicanYarisTK? - GTI

---- original post ----

Any mid atlantic DFD'ers know the roads out by the Conowingo dam / susquehanna river / West Chester area?

Lots of awesome roads out there but I'd be flying blind. Don't know them well. Did one high speed run with Ferrarichat once, it was a fucking blast. Would love to drive that area again.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 am, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm
Any mid atlantic DFD'ers know the roads out by the Conowingo dam / susquehanna river / West Chester area?

Lots of awesome roads out there but I'd be flying blind. Don't know them well. Did one high speed run with Ferrarichat once, it was a fucking blast. Would love to drive that area again.
:scoot:

I don't, though. I head north into Bucks, don't run Delco. I've ridden out there on le bicicleta, though, and can confirm there are great roads.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Zillon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 pm
Any mid atlantic DFD'ers know the roads out by the Conowingo dam / susquehanna river / West Chester area?

Lots of awesome roads out there but I'd be flying blind. Don't know them well. Did one high speed run with Ferrarichat once, it was a fucking blast. Would love to drive that area again.
:scoot:

I don't, though. I head north into Bucks, don't run Delco. I've ridden out there on le bicicleta, though, and can confirm there are great roads.
I know DE-82 to DE-100 / PA Creek Rd pretty well now. That's fun as hell but pretty short overall.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1230/ ... BNLBe.dpbs

:iono: ??

Anyone want to try this out with me?

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:21 pm
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1230/ ... BNLBe.dpbs

:iono: ??

Anyone want to try this out with me?
Consider me curious. I'll split this into a new :bread:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:40 pm

:lolol:

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 22 mi. away from The White House

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm

There are some nice roads in north VA but not that worth of a drive for me, considering theres skyline, most particularly Loudoun and Faquier County. Look at towns called Middleburg, you'll find some decent stretches
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 22 mi. away from The White House

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Im going to my shithole country in 10 days and will be back in August, we could probably do a small get together :stig: driving, i'd be down too.
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:05 pm

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm
There are some nice roads in north VA but not that worth of a drive for me, considering theres skyline, most particularly Loudoun and Faquier County. Look at towns called Middleburg, you'll find some decent stretches
I don't go more than 5 over the limit in VA. :nope:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm interested. :like:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5955
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 22 mi. away from The White House

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Zillon wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:05 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm
There are some nice roads in north VA but not that worth of a drive for me, considering theres skyline, most particularly Loudoun and Faquier County. Look at towns called Middleburg, you'll find some decent stretches
I don't go more than 5 over the limit in VA. :nope:
10 over is still fine :lol: that explains why i see any other state but MD drive slow. I should also mentioned its less patrolled and less stricter than my county.
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 pm

How long of a drive would everyone be down for? I created a map from Downingtown to Columbia, roughly 80 miles. That would take us to the west side of the Susquehanna, and then play on the west bank for another 50 miles? Ending somewhere around Havre De Grace.

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 pm
How long of a drive would everyone be down for? I created a map from Downingtown to Columbia, roughly 80 miles. That would take us to the west side of the Susquehanna, and then play on the west bank for another 50 miles? Ending somewhere around Havre De Grace.
80 miles would be neat.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Zillon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 pm
How long of a drive would everyone be down for? I created a map from Downingtown to Columbia, roughly 80 miles. That would take us to the west side of the Susquehanna, and then play on the west bank for another 50 miles? Ending somewhere around Havre De Grace.
80 miles would be neat.
80 could be the break off option. Like stop for a stretch / gas / bathroom or something in Columbia, those that want to continue on the MD side to Conowingo are in for another 50 something, anyone that wants to end it can just go back thru Lancaster to the turnpike.

Start at 7 or 8 AM in Downingtown, get to Columbia by around 10. Havre De Grace around noon or a little earlier and that's that.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm

I might go recon this drive this weekend.

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm
I might go recon this drive this weekend.
:doit:

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Zillon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:12 pm


80 miles would be neat.
80 could be the break off option. Like stop for a stretch / gas / bathroom or something in Columbia, those that want to continue on the MD side to Conowingo are in for another 50 something, anyone that wants to end it can just go back thru Lancaster to the turnpike.

Start at 7 or 8 AM in Downingtown, get to Columbia by around 10. Havre De Grace around noon or a little earlier and that's that.
Sounds like a nice little day. Maybe stop by Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond... I don't know if we'll have enough time.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Zillon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm


80 could be the break off option. Like stop for a stretch / gas / bathroom or something in Columbia, those that want to continue on the MD side to Conowingo are in for another 50 something, anyone that wants to end it can just go back thru Lancaster to the turnpike.

Start at 7 or 8 AM in Downingtown, get to Columbia by around 10. Havre De Grace around noon or a little earlier and that's that.
Sounds like a nice little day. Maybe stop by Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond... I don't know if we'll have enough time.
Throw some deck joists in the Miata :jimp: they’ll fit if the top is down.

User avatar
Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24346
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:25 pm

Zillon wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:05 pm


80 could be the break off option. Like stop for a stretch / gas / bathroom or something in Columbia, those that want to continue on the MD side to Conowingo are in for another 50 something, anyone that wants to end it can just go back thru Lancaster to the turnpike.

Start at 7 or 8 AM in Downingtown, get to Columbia by around 10. Havre De Grace around noon or a little earlier and that's that.
Sounds like a nice little day. Maybe stop by Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond... I don't know if we'll have enough time.
:lolol:
Gotta get the Red Dragon running first!

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:26 pm

Hope you guys like Amish people and horse poop.

Image

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2813
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Johnny_P wrote:Hope you guys like Amish people and horse poop.

Image
:fuckyeah:

I ran over horse poop on the way back from dubrun a few years ago. I was wondering what the smell was when I got home.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Drive was good. Long. I don’t like the end point and didn’t care for river rd up north. I’ll probably need another recon day. One of the roads I picked was gravel so had to look around for an alternative. Found a good one.

User avatar
Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24346
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 pm
Drive was good. Long. I don’t like the end point and didn’t care for river rd up north. I’ll probably need another recon day. One of the roads I picked was gravel so had to look around for an alternative. Found a good one.
Drives whiz-bang magic diff mobile and wants to avoid gravel? :notsure:

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 21844
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 16 Heep / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 am

Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 pm
Drive was good. Long. I don’t like the end point and didn’t care for river rd up north. I’ll probably need another recon day. One of the roads I picked was gravel so had to look around for an alternative. Found a good one.
Drives whiz-bang magic diff mobile and wants to avoid gravel? :notsure:
I mean, the :meata: doesn’t go on gravel. :iono:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazderp Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2016 Heep | 2009 Meata

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32777
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 am

Apex wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 pm
Drive was good. Long. I don’t like the end point and didn’t care for river rd up north. I’ll probably need another recon day. One of the roads I picked was gravel so had to look around for an alternative. Found a good one.
Drives whiz-bang magic diff mobile and wants to avoid gravel? :notsure:
Gravel roads out there come with surprises. Like a ditch that you can't see because everything is the same shade of tan, and you slam the bump stops so hard you pull over to see if you bubbled a tire.

Nah. I'd be ok with them if it was just me, but if I'm leading a convoy I won't subject everyone else to that sort of abuse. The AWD system gives a lot of stability on those roads, I'd think an open diff or RWD car would have a hard time keeping it on the road at speed.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests