America's Achilles' Heel: the Mississippi River's Old River Control Structure

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Glad this topic got attention. If only the local news cared.

https://www.wafb.com/2019/05/15/crawfis ... ish-ditch/
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am
4zilch wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am

:dat:

Growing up on the Illinois River, most overlook their importance when you don’t see it on a daily basis when it comes to the transportation of goods - particularly when it comes to bulk goods (grain, coal, aggregate, etc). Ports seem a bit more obvious to us - we see the containers on trucks and trains.

I will admit, I am a :derp:
Its cool though. Everyone should learn something daily. :like:

:themoreyouknow:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 am Glad this topic got attention. If only the local news cared.

I saw this on the joke Facebook page for our local government. I legit thought it was a joke. Then I heard it on the news on my way to work this morning. I LOL'd in my truck in the parking lot. We're going to turn into the whole "FLORIDA MAN *.*" google search soon.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 am
dubshow wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 am Glad this topic got attention. If only the local news cared.

I saw this on the joke Facebook page for our local government. I legit thought it was a joke. Then I heard it on the news on my way to work this morning. I LOL'd in my truck in the parking lot. We're going to turn into the whole "FLORIDA MAN *.*" google search soon.
Just did this search LOL! :like:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 am

I’m sure we could coerce :thankstrump: into building a wall...
Photoshop some pictures of immigrants innertubing into the River from the "wrong" new direction and send to Fox news. This will be handled before the end of the week.
:fax:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

4zilch wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am

:dat:

Growing up on the Illinois River, most overlook their importance when you don’t see it on a daily basis when it comes to the transportation of goods - particularly when it comes to bulk goods (grain, coal, aggregate, etc). Ports seem a bit more obvious to us - we see the containers on trucks and trains.
Even when I watched freighter after freighter carrying bulk goods down the Detroit river for years, I didn't connect where they were headed...I assumed east coast somehow, and the Mississippi was the furthest from my mind. Reality is that they likely can and do end up down there depending on what they're carrying. I guess I associated the Mississippi with old tyme paddle boats and Mark Twain shit...not modern day commerce.

A :neat: road trip to do is the Scenic Mississippi River drive. There are roads that are marked with signs like this:

I believe it goes from the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca in Minnesota all the way down to airboatlandia. It's a 5/7 scenic and cultural drive and along the way you'll pass many lock and damns on the river that were built solely to control the river for commerce, specifically to make sure the river is navigable by barges as many months of the year as possible. These lock and damns are often open for tours and will have cool little museums dedicated to the history of river commerce, wildlife along the river, native American societies that lived along the river, etc. We did this for a couple hundred miles last year and really enjoyed it. Here are a couple of google image shots of Lock and Damn #26 in Alton, IL that we toured.

We saw several yuuge barges go through the lock in just the couple hours we were there on a Saturday afternoon. It was pretty :mindblown: to see all the bulk goods being transported on the river.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 pm
Even when I watched freighter after freighter carrying bulk goods down the Detroit river for years, I didn't connect where they were headed...I assumed east coast somehow, and the Mississippi was the furthest from my mind. Reality is that they likely can and do end up down there depending on what they're carrying. I guess I associated the Mississippi with old tyme paddle boats and Mark Twain shit...not modern day commerce.

A :neat: road trip to do is the Scenic Mississippi River drive. There are roads that are marked with signs like this:

I believe it goes from the headwaters of the Mississippi at Lake Itasca in Minnesota all the way down to airboatlandia. It's a 5/7 scenic and cultural drive and along the way you'll pass many lock and damns on the river that were built solely to control the river for commerce, specifically to make sure the river is navigable by barges as many months of the year as possible. These lock and damns are often open for tours and will have cool little museums dedicated to the history of river commerce, wildlife along the river, native American societies that lived along the river, etc. We did this for a couple hundred miles last year and really enjoyed it. Here are a couple of google image shots of Lock and Damn #26 in Alton, IL that we toured.

We saw several yuuge barges go through the lock in just the couple hours we were there on a Saturday afternoon. It was pretty :mindblown: to see all the bulk goods being transported on the river.
Wow, this sounds awesome! 5/7 will check out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Wow, this sounds awesome! 5/7 will check out.
:fuckyeah: In4impressions
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

When we first moved to the blessed lands, money was tight (after the 2008 housing debacle that I ranted about elsewhere). For two years straight we vacationed on the St. Lawrence Seaway in the Thousand Islands Region. Its a huge river separating the USofA and Canuckland. Its beautiful up there. Not a ton to do, but we rented a boat the first year and I liked it so much that we bought a boat for the second year. Anyway, these humongous freighters would periodically lumber their way by, and seeing them from a small boat was uber cool.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

When we first moved to the blessed lands, money was tight (after the 2008 housing debacle that I ranted about elsewhere). For two years straight we vacationed on the St. Lawrence Seaway in the Thousand Islands Region. Its a huge river separating the USofA and Canuckland. Its beautiful up there. Not a ton to do, but we rented a boat the first year and I liked it so much that we bought a boat for the second year. Anyway, these humongous freighters would periodically lumber their way by, and seeing them from a small boat was uber cool.
10/10 do want to do.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

The St. Lawrence has a bunch of cool shipwrecks you can dive on too. 5/7 want to do that.
wap

:neat: !
I saw the St. Lawrence river from Quebec city and Montreal and it is definitely a pretty area and it's fascinating to me how those ocean-going cargo ships can get all the way to the middle of the continent via the St Lawrence to the Great Lakes, giving rise to the nickname, "America's Third Coast", as the Great Lakes area is sometimes called.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

The St. Lawrence has a bunch of cool shipwrecks you can dive on too. 5/7 want to do that.
Also :neat:
Apex

wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:45 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Empress_of_Ireland

One of the more well known wrecks to dive. Where it is located, the currents make it difficult but the depth isn't bad at all at only 130 feet down.
Compared to the Andrea Doria which sits about 250 feet down (also known as the Mt. Everest of wreck dives).
Irish

wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm

I saw the St. Lawrence river from Quebec city and Montreal and it is definitely a pretty area and it's fascinating to me how those ocean-going cargo ships can get all the way to the middle of the continent via the St Lawrence to the Great Lakes, giving rise to the nickname, "America's Third Coast", as the Great Lakes area is sometimes called.
Yeah, we were on the opposite end of the Islands, near Lake Ontario. The first year with the rental boat I attempted to make it out onto the lake but impending bad weather forced me back. The islands have a lot of history and many are owned by movie and music stars

Prime ministers and presidents, the Kellogg family, the Wrigley family, editor of Scribner's magazine, the head of the Singer Sewing Machine Company, the head of Macy’s Department store in New York City, famous Canadian musicians, internationally-renowned authors and playwrights, NHL players, political celebrities like the Trudeaus, and even poet John McCrae of In Flanders fields fame are all rumoured to have spent time cottaging in the 1,000 Islands.
One thing is certain -- these are storied islands whose history is entwined with the very formation of Canada. There are 1,830 of them at one count -- spread along an 80-kilometre span between Kingston and Brockville -- and they have been home to the rich, the nefarious, the famous and the foolish.

The second year we moored near Boldt Castle for some killer fireworks.

Millionaires Row

:mahtroy: place

Irish

Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 pm

One of the more well known wrecks to dive. Where it is located, the currents make it difficult but the depth isn't bad at all at only 130 feet down.
Compared to the Andrea Doria which sits about 250 feet down (also known as the Mt. Everest of wreck dives).
Ever read Shadow Divers? I love that book.
Apex

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Ever read Shadow Divers? I love that book.
Yes, sir! Excellent read. I keep seeing it on the bookshelf and think I need to re-read it.
wap

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing. There are tons of wrecks, mostly cargo ships, all over the Great Lakes, too, if you're interested in that sort of thing. They're a big deal in the various Great Lakes museums around the region, the most famous one, probably, being the Edmund Fitzgerald, thanks in part to the song. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald

wap

Irish wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:20 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm
Yeah, we were on the opposite end of the Islands, near Lake Ontario. The first year with the rental boat I attempted to make it out onto the lake but impending bad weather forced me back. The islands have a lot of history and many are owned by movie and music stars

Prime ministers and presidents, the Kellogg family, the Wrigley family, editor of Scribner's magazine, the head of the Singer Sewing Machine Company, the head of Macy’s Department store in New York City, famous Canadian musicians, internationally-renowned authors and playwrights, NHL players, political celebrities like the Trudeaus, and even poet John McCrae of In Flanders fields fame are all rumoured to have spent time cottaging in the 1,000 Islands.
One thing is certain -- these are storied islands whose history is entwined with the very formation of Canada. There are 1,830 of them at one count -- spread along an 80-kilometre span between Kingston and Brockville -- and they have been home to the rich, the nefarious, the famous and the foolish.

The second year we moored near Boldt Castle for some killer fireworks.

Millionaires Row

:mahtroy: place

That looks awesome!
Must do some day...
Apex

wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing. There are tons of wrecks, mostly cargo ships, all over the Great Lakes, too, if you're interested in that sort of thing. They're a big deal in the various Great Lakes museums around the region, the most famous one, probably, being the Edmund Fitzgerald, thanks in part to the song. :lol:

Shipwrecks are fascinating to me. Doesn't hurt that my surname means "sea warrior" so it's only natural that anything maritime calls to me. :lol:
wap

Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Shipwrecks are fascinating to me. Doesn't hurt that my surname means "sea warrior" so it's only natural that anything maritime calls to me. :lol:
:lol: Cool! In what language?
Apex

wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Have to go back to the Gaelic version to get that meaning.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Have to go back to the Gaelic version to get that meaning.
:notbad:
Acid666

Just a heads up. Ready your bodies Morgan City
http://www.wbrz.com/news/morganza-spill ... high-water
Acid666

Buddy of mine's brother has a camp in the flood zone area. Not sure where, but he's gearing up to pack it out.