purple ppl eater

Strut your greasy stuff!
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

BREAKDOWN ALERT:

So, just yesterday 3/31/19 I was out on a cruise with some friends.
We were all jazzed up for a drive to celebrate my recent coming of age, then catastrophe struck. We had just got off of a realllllllllly SHITE road. When I mean it was :poop: it was BAD. Anyways, we just got off this backroad and were on the 101 freeway heading to our next canyon run. (for reference) there was 3 C5z's a C6z and an RS4. I was behind the audi, c6 and one c5. We were just cruising along at about 85-90 when out of no where the leader of the caravan decided to drop a gear and disappear. :burnout:
I stayed out of it, becuase I was already going pretty quick. I slowed down a bit to let my buddy behind me catch up. As soon as he gets next to me, I down shift and heard the biggest loudest BANG i;ve ever heard. Sounded like the serp belt snapped and was flopping around. It was so loud, that my buddy in his h/c headers and full straight pipe C5 heard it over his exhaust.

I immediately turned the car off and pulled onto the shoulder. Everyone is so far in front of us that they didn't even see what happened. the H/C C5 pulled off with me, and he's not the most mechanically inclined, he starts freaking out and telling me it's rod knock and that I'm screwed out of a car. :facepalm: :hellno:

At first I thought it was the serp belt, but after inspecting it there was no damage. . We finally get a hold of everyone and they start heading back

Puzzled and the frustration is starting to set in. I ripped the passenger' side engine cover off, and sure enough i found my problem....

Turns out the number 2 cyl spark plug backed it self out. :dafuq: :really:
It was just hanging by the plug wire banging against the manifold. When i turned the car off, it was sitting at a chilly 225F. I didn't think about this and went to grab the plug, Needless to say, i burnt the living hell out of my hand :thisisfine:

It's about 745 or so and everyone has finally made it back. But, not before I burnt both my hands to a crispy crispness.

there's 5 cars on the side of this stupid busy freeway. People are buzzing our mirrors every time they pass by. Image

Turns out no one has any tools in their cars. :thankstrump: :thanksobama:

There's nothing we can do besides get it as hand tight as possible. the closest town is 20 mins away of the freeway, it's about to be dark in less than 30mins, I'm a solid hour away from my house and on top of all that no one's got any cell service (my phone was dead at this point) After a good 45 mins of trying to get the plug in we were all set to get the plug wire on and try and start the car. Turns out it up and walked away :rolleyes: :thisisfine: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :hellno:

20 minutes goes by and we finally find the plug wire in the c6z's trunk :dafuq:
Car started up no problem, I was just concerned that it might back itself out again.

I limp it very slowly to the nearest gas station in hopes they have some type of tool set that I could use to get the plug on tighter. Of course they don't :rolleyes: :ayfkm: :butwhy: :rage:

At this point I'm so :aintcare: about everything. I was just going to tow the :poorvette: home. but, I didn't want to wait the 1-2 hours that It would have taken to get aaa to my location. We all parted ways since I was the only one headed to Santa Maria. My phone was completely dead, so I'm sending prayers to allah hoping that I don't break down again.

I finally make it home(930 or so), and of course there's no parking in front of my house :thankstrump: So i park a block away. I collect all the spark plug sockets I can find and make the trek to my car. Turns out all the spark plug sockets were all too big :triggered: :ayfkm:
I some how sent it on another .25 of a turn and called it a night. Drove it to work today and it was fine. Going to take it to my shop tonight and double triple check everything I can.

LESSON OF THE DAY
Always carry tools with you
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I carry a small Kobalt tool kit with sockets in mine, along with an air compressor/flat fix thing since there's no spare on that car.
I always carry tools tho, in every car. We travel to Baton Rouge and Nola often for autocross, and being left stranded in old cars is no fun.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm I carry a small Kobalt tool kit with sockets in mine, along with an air compressor/flat fix thing since there's no spare on that car.
I always carry tools tho, in every car. We travel to Baton Rouge and Nola often for autocross, and being left stranded in old cars is no fun.
i for sure will be carrying tool from now on .
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wow. What a :rage: story. Sorry that happened to you.

But 20 years from now it'll be a good tale to pull out and tell to your crotchfruit.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Fun in the :poorvette: part dos:

Started my car up this morning no problem. Went back inside to finish getting ready for work, and when I went out to leave :ayfkm: :dafuq:
the freaking air dam was hanging off!!!!

When I bought the car, I knew that the passanger side air dam was already hanging a little low on th every edge. Pictured below

I'm already all dressed up in my fancy :dillerman: duds and I need to leave in the next 5 minutes to make it to work as early as i like to be. (about 15 mins early). i live a 30 minute drive away from my work, so i'm for sure in a crunch for time. The front end of the :poorvette: is inches off the ground, so trying to get a good look on anything down there was next to impossible. I start ripping off the dam and cut the zip holding it in place.(Its not a build unless it has zipties :science:
Yanking and pulling got me no where, because there was two tiny bolts still holding it in place. I ran to my tool box and grabbed every tiny wrench and socket I could get my hands on. Of course not a single one of them was the right size. (10 or so minutes have already gone by at this point. I give the ol :dillerman: boss a text and let him know I'm going to be late. try two on the toolbox. In the WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back of the socket drawer was a 7mm. Luckily enough it was the right size! :fuckyeah: However, there was only one ratchet that would fit and that thing broke back when I was in high school. It would completely free spin in both directions lmaoo FML. So i banged it against the ground a few times until it would stay in place and not free spin. A few minutes of struggling later and i finally got the one side off. I really like the way the air dam looks under the car, so I;m pretty torn about taking the rest of it off tonight.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Impressive use of smilies for a new guy. Also, you are having quite the drama with Troy's old car. Methinks there was an intermediate owner who put about 25K miles worth of wear on this thing in about 2K miles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm I've got an 03 with 60k miles. It's seen ~2k miles/year under my ownership for the last 4 years.
I have put 11K miles on my 2012 C6GS in 3 years and 7 months, bringing me to 24K miles. See you at Hooters.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm I've got an 03 with 60k miles. It's seen ~2k miles/year under my ownership for the last 4 years.
I have put 11K miles on my 2012 C6GS in 3 years and 7 months, bringing me to 24K miles. See you at Hooters.
Man, I really wish we could hit up a Hooters meet together IRL...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:58 pm

If we lived in the same town IRL, we would be too drunk at Tony's and its ilk to be driving to Hooters.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:58 pm
If we lived in the same town IRL, we would be too drunk at Tony's and its ilk to be driving to Hooters.
Good point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm Impressive use of smilies for a new guy. Also, you are having quite the drama with Troy's old car. Methinks there was an intermediate owner who put about 25K miles worth of wear on this thing in about 2K miles.
Yeah, that front bumper wasn't rashed like that when he sold it, I know that for a fact.
:word:

Some of it was admittedly there, but not anywhere near that much. :sad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

#Corvettelyfe
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm

#Corvettelyfe
It's not a DD, I do love it as a road car. I also love my wif, who does not like the Corvette. Since we like each other we tend to travel together, and the resultant combo does keep the miles off. I do enjoy having a nice Zilspec "precious" but I have to admit I'd be better off with something like a CTS-V for practical use.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:13 pm Also, I always make it a point to carry a basic tool set with my that can disassemble 90% of whatever I'm driving.

Reassembly not required. :hue:
I used to do that but have really gotten out of the habit. :rudy:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

IDK who :mahtroy: sold the car to. but who ever it was def abused it!. HOOTERS?!?!?
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:10 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Yeah, that front bumper wasn't rashed like that when he sold it, I know that for a fact.
:word:

Some of it was admittedly there, but not anywhere near that much. :sad:
Eventually I'll take the front bumper off and get it repainted. Hood also has a few good rock chips in it.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

The troy mobile has been a hassle these last couple days.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 pm

#Corvettelyfe
It's not a DD, I do love it as a road car. I also love my wif, who does not like the Corvette. Since we like each other we tend to travel together, and the resultant combo does keep the miles off. I do enjoy having a nice Zilspec "precious" but I have to admit I'd be better off with something like a CTS-V for practical use.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 pm

#Corvettelyfe
Hellcat widebody bro.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm The troy mobile has been a hassle these last couple days.
Can we start calling it by it's true name.. it seems fitting these days.

Grimace.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm The troy mobile has been a hassle these last couple days.

Grimace.
:iswydt: :lol:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Grimace.
lmaooooo
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:13 pm Also, I always make it a point to carry a basic tool set with my that can disassemble 90% of whatever I'm driving.

A “driveable” car requires surprisingly few parts...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Zip ties, gaffer tape, and JB weld. If I can’t mend it well enough to get home with those things, then it needs a tow truck.

Toolbox does go to the track though.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 am

Zip ties, gaffer tape, and JB weld. If I can’t mend it well enough to get home with those things, then it needs a tow truck.

Toolbox does go to the track though.
I might have to go that route. I don't like having tool clank around in the back of my daily.