Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Turns out :ramz: :bruh: is pretty far away from me, like really far. If I'm going to get those BBS wheels they will have to be shipped. It's weird that they would even post up in my region. Cost pending this may not happen. I was feeling a new level of excitement about the R, so I might treat myself some mods in coming months either way to keep things fun and fresh. I've done a few superficial things to it like the euro tail light conversion, mud flaps and shit. That kind of stuff is sufficient.

First thing is first, I want to detail the crap out of it. I'll tackle the interior myself and give it a light exterior wash. Might get it professionally ceramic coated, a stage one polish and coating is about $500 and should probably suffice, I don't like the idea of stage two or stage three levels of perfection because it means there is more clear being cut away to get like that, and I don't need my car to be that shiny under the usual dirt that it carries around. The DIY stuff at home is kind of disappointing and doesn't last that's why I want to get a pro to do it. I might go to the same detailer that did my MK6, that car was black and looked :impressive: years after it was polished and coated.

New wheels can only happen if the cost of a used set is about equal to the price of the tars themselves and there is more then half the usable tread still avail. Otherwise I'm just going to throw on new rubber and call it a day.

JB4... this is intriguing because it keeps me flying below the radar on my extended warranty which I want to keep.

:troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am Turns out :ramz: :bruh: is pretty far away from me, like really far. If I'm going to get those BBS wheels they will have to be shipped. It's weird that they would even post up in my region. Cost pending this may not happen. I was feeling a new level of excitement about the R, so I might treat myself some mods in coming months either way to keep things fun and fresh. I've done a few superficial things to it like the euro tail light conversion, mud flaps and shit. That kind of stuff is sufficient.

First thing is first, I want to detail the crap out of it. I'll tackle the interior myself and give it a light exterior wash. Might get it professionally ceramic coated, a stage one polish and coating is about $500 and should probably suffice, I don't like the idea of stage two or stage three levels of perfection because it means there is more clear being cut away to get like that, and I don't need my car to be that shiny under the usual dirt that it carries around. The DIY stuff at home is kind of disappointing and doesn't last that's why I want to get a pro to do it. I might go to the same detailer that did my MK6, that car was black and looked :impressive: years after it was polished and coated.

New wheels can only happen if the cost of a used set is about equal to the price of the tars themselves and there is more then half the usable tread still avail. Otherwise I'm just going to throw on new rubber and call it a day.

JB4... this is intriguing because it keeps me flying below the radar on my extended warranty which I want to keep.

Swedish has one. he want to sail it. Message him. I just dont know if I want the powah which leads to new clutch.

this guy? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-GTI-VW-MK ... Swsbddxekx
Last edited by dubshow on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am Turns out :ramz: :bruh: is pretty far away from me, like really far. If I'm going to get those BBS wheels they will have to be shipped. It's weird that they would even post up in my region. Cost pending this may not happen. I was feeling a new level of excitement about the R, so I might treat myself some mods in coming months either way to keep things fun and fresh. I've done a few superficial things to it like the euro tail light conversion, mud flaps and shit. That kind of stuff is sufficient.

Swedish has one. he want to sail it. Message him. I just dont know if I want the powah which leads to new clutch.
That's a concern, but I bought it anyway.

Just make sure to buy the eBay harness extension so you don't have to tap into the factory harness leaving evidence of being "tuned".
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:03 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am

That's a concern, but I bought it anyway.

Just make sure to buy the eBay harness extension so you don't have to tap into the factory harness leaving evidence of being "tuned".
did you buy the one from swedish?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-GTI-VW-MK ... Swsbddxekx ??
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I almost want to say let’s ban the :wrong: gif it’s turned into some annoying shit
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am I almost want to say let’s ban the :wrong: gif it’s turned into some annoying shit
:evilplan:

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :225: :wrong:
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:59 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 am I almost want to say let’s ban the :wrong: gif it’s turned into some annoying shit
:evilplan:

:wrong: :225: :wrong:
There are those that use it to :trollface: those that get upset and cry with it and those that use it for the sake of using it since it shows up all the time. And you can’t go past 3 posts without seeing it. It lost all meaning
max225

So is there anyone else with FJ experience ? Thing sorta grew on me... but of course it’s nearly impossible to find in good shape under 25k. :disgust:
Zildog I am shocked you didn’t drive one, or look for one. It’s like epic for your needs.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:25 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am So is there anyone else with FJ experience ? Thing sorta grew on me... but of course it’s nearly impossible to find in good shape under 25k. :disgust:
Zildog I am shocked you didn’t drive one, or look for one. It’s like epic for your needs.
FJ tax is real, plus cars rust here.

I've driven a few in my time - essentially a short wheelbase 4Runner.
Yep and around 400/500lbs lighter too. FJ seems to have a tax for sure but at the same time no depreciation. And it’s not like they are making more of them.
06-09models 15k
10+ 25k

Damn. The bronco can’t be here soon enough this entire automotive niche is completely underserved
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:29 am

Yep and around 400/500lbs lighter too. FJ seems to have a tax for sure but at the same time no depreciation. And it’s not like they are making more of them.
06-09models 15k
10+ 25k

Damn. The bronco can’t be here soon enough this entire automotive niche is completely underserved
Land Rover Defender?
The new one is an ugly pile. They also didn’t follow the formula. Medium/small boxy/simple/reliable/ not expensive
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:35 pm I don’t know why I hang around here anymore
In spite of my constant :wrong: ing, I enjoy having you around, but you have to admit the seemingly endless STi vs something more practical for your life circle-jerk leaves you open for some criticism.
:wrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm

I’d certainly like to do more traveling.
More :travel: should be a goal for all.

I need less :troywax:
So much :dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 am

Land Rover Defender?
The new one is an ugly pile. They also didn’t follow the formula. Medium/small boxy/simple/reliable/ not expensive
Are you adding a :truk: / :jeep: thing or selling the clown car? How much do you think the mini worth locally to you, it's pretty rare is it not?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 am

In spite of my constant :wrong: ing, I enjoy having you around, but you have to admit the seemingly endless STi vs something more practical for your life circle-jerk leaves you open for some criticism.
:sass:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 pm

:dat:
wap

:sass:
:lol:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:yeahok:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

wap

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

:neek:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:13 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

now your face is just like neek.

a bald cunt.
wap

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 pm

a bald cunt.
:lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 pm

a bald cunt.
:lol:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am

Are you adding a :truk: / :jeep: thing or selling the clown car? How much do you think the mini worth locally to you, it's pretty rare is it not?
Mini would result in a 8k bath... I am assuming it's worth 20k on "trade". I am keeping it. I really like it for what it is, but I don't really want to take it on long trips+mountains+softroading.
max225

Here is the thing...
Apparently "FJ Guys" refer to them essentially as two gens
1st gen 06-09, fender buckling, single variable timing V6, some 07s had shitty rear ends that would pop. YAY
Price on the first gen is around 15k +-5 depending how much over under 100k miles they are.

2nd gen 10-14, Double Variable timing +30hp -8tq, fixed fenders, no other known issues
Price on the second gen is around 25k +-10 depending on how much over under 80k miles they are.

I don't think I really care much... the 07s are REALLY EASY to find and toyota sold 50k of them as opposed to every subsequent year of which there were only 10-15k because the economy went to shit.

Here is the trickiest part...
2nd gen FJs are too close in price to new JLs. And they are nearly 10 years old ...
1st gens have a few risks around fenders/rear ends and are really hard to find in unabused form, because they are older...

So :unicorn: as always..