Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Mini 3 cylinder
Turbo
134 HP
Premium fuel

:thisisfine:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Mini 3 cylinder
Turbo
134 HP
Premium fuel

:thisisfine:
I mean, Fraud can cough up a 3 cyl that makes ~180 HP and runs fine on regular.
troyguitar

Ford doesn't sell cars.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 pm Ford doesn't sell cars.
Escape
It's the lowered version of the lifted version of the now defunct Fraud Focus.
:mahman:
Johnny_P

Forester and Crosstrek both scored 85 :notbad: :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Let's see...
Mustang
EcoSport (Fiesta chassis)
Escape (Focus Chassis)
Edge (Taurus Chassis?)
Explorer (Taurus Chassis)
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 pm I made a spreadsheet to help me select a car.

STI scored 39
Mini 3 cyl scored 60
Elantra sedan, Civic hatch, JGC, and Xterra all scored the same at 73

:foreveralone:

Man, shifting priorities and stuff. I would have never considered any of these 5 years ago.
come drive a corolla hatch. it's not terrible.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:26 pm Mini 3 cylinder
Turbo
134 HP
Premium fuel

I don’t think it’s crucial, let me do some research. I believe 89 is recommended for my jcw
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 pm I made a spreadsheet to help me select a car.

STI scored 39
Mini 3 cyl scored 60

Man, shifting priorities and stuff. I would have never considered any of these 5 years ago.
:dillerman:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 pm

STI scored 39
Mini 3 cyl scored 60

I should. CVT with the launch gear is probably decent enough for what I want. On paper I like the Civic more because more power. But really its probably fine. The Hyundai I rented didn't bother me at all. 142 HP and a (very good) CVT got it to 60 in 8 flat which was acceptable to me. The Subarus are a bit slower than that. Crosstrek is a lot slower.

Kind of expensive for an aintcaremobile that will just slam into potholes repeatedly, though.
troyguitar

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Let's see...
Mustang
EcoSport (Fiesta chassis)
Escape (Focus Chassis)
Edge (Taurus Chassis?)
Explorer (Taurus Chassis)
:wrong:

Mustang is the only car they sell.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:17 am

https://rochester.craigslist.org/ctd/d/ ... 18777.html

I know leather was an option on the Laredo but does leather seats also mean heated seats?

I see heated seat buttons!!!!!!!!!!!
It sold over the weekend :/
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I have a real urge to get a winter C5. Auto, raised to Max, and some 17" snows all around.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:21 am I have a real urge to get a winter C5. Auto, raised to Max, and some 17" snows all around.
I considered this briefly. I still don't think you can get enough ground clearance.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:21 am I have a real urge to get a winter C5. Auto, raised to Max, and some 17" snows all around.
"Winter C5"

Error - Does not compute.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

don't do it, the :wap: will be :sad: and worry about zaino coats will ran out!!
max225

Dfd delivers ....

I want a giant house to drive across my town because I’m a princess on a pea.

No nevermind I have an idea, I’m going to DD the worst possible vehicle for the snow through the snow.
:wat:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am
I considered this briefly. I still don't think you can get enough ground clearance.
My Subaru had less. There's usually never more than a couple inches on the roads here. My town pays higher taxes than the surrounding ones so we get cleared better than they do. The :truk: is just too big to throw around.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 am
My Subaru had less. There's usually never more than a couple inches on the roads here. My town pays higher taxes than the surrounding ones so we get cleared better than they do. The :truk: is just too big to throw around.
Subaru had less ground clearance than a C5?

Was it modified?

Even still, AWD makes a huge difference.

Again, this is where midsize trucks win, but I'm :wrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am Dfd delivers ....

No nevermind I have an idea, I’m going to DD the worst possible vehicle for the snow through the snow.
How is it any worse than Troy's 86? Or all the g35/350z/e92 that get driven around? I live in Western NY but we really don't get much snow.

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:52 am

Was it modified?

Yes coilovers + front lip

I'd love a bro-forx like zil had
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am

How is it any worse than Troy's 86? Or all the g35/350z/e92 that get driven around? I live in Western NY but we really don't get much snow.
C5's even at their highest are still lower to the ground than all of those I suspect.
Johnny_P

This article on the Hyundai Santa Fe highlights what's wrong with turbocharged motors.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai ... st-review/
But when an engine and turbo intercooler circuit get too badly heat-soaked, the engine controller starts pulling spark advance to prevent knock, which is hard to compensate for with math. That's when you end up with a 235-hp, 260-lb-ft turbocharged engine that can't keep up with its 185-hp, 178-lb-ft naturally aspirated sibling.

All vehicles tested were loaded to Ultimate trim spec, and both the hot and cool 2.0-liter turbos feature HTRAC all-wheel drive while the 2.4-liter naturally aspirated cars are both front-driven. Despite still enjoying a 3.5-pounds-per-horsepower advantage on paper, in the desert the turbo trailed the 2.4-liter by 0.7 second to 60 mph (9.6 versus 8.9 seconds) and by 0.4 second and 1.5 mph through the quarter mile (17.1 seconds at 82.8 mph versus 16.7 at 84.3).

The results of our winter test session at California Speedway reverse that outcome, with the turbo beating its down-market sibling to 60 mph by 0.8 second (7.8 versus 8.6 seconds) and by 0.5 second and 4.4 mph in the quarter (16.0 seconds at 88.9 mph versus 16.5 at 84.5).
For anyone who cares :whocares: this is why I fucking HATED driving my GTI through the city. Philly summers end up in the mid to high 80s and mid 90s, with high humidity (not Texas humidity mind you but up there). And South Philly is a stop and go environment with all the street intersections. All tiny turbo motors heat soak to the gills within 5-10 minutes of driving in these conditions.

The fact that the turbo motor here lost almost 2 seconds 0-60 is ridiculous, but goes to show how much the engine is leaning on the turbo to make power, and when that turbo is useless the whole thing goes to shit. Look at the consistency of the NA motor. There is literally no point in getting the turbo in this specific vehicle.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 am This article on the Hyundai Santa Fe highlights what's wrong with turbocharged motors.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai ... st-review/
But when an engine and turbo intercooler circuit get too badly heat-soaked, the engine controller starts pulling spark advance to prevent knock, which is hard to compensate for with math. That's when you end up with a 235-hp, 260-lb-ft turbocharged engine that can't keep up with its 185-hp, 178-lb-ft naturally aspirated sibling.

All vehicles tested were loaded to Ultimate trim spec, and both the hot and cool 2.0-liter turbos feature HTRAC all-wheel drive while the 2.4-liter naturally aspirated cars are both front-driven. Despite still enjoying a 3.5-pounds-per-horsepower advantage on paper, in the desert the turbo trailed the 2.4-liter by 0.7 second to 60 mph (9.6 versus 8.9 seconds) and by 0.4 second and 1.5 mph through the quarter mile (17.1 seconds at 82.8 mph versus 16.7 at 84.3).

The results of our winter test session at California Speedway reverse that outcome, with the turbo beating its down-market sibling to 60 mph by 0.8 second (7.8 versus 8.6 seconds) and by 0.5 second and 4.4 mph in the quarter (16.0 seconds at 88.9 mph versus 16.5 at 84.5).
For anyone who cares :whocares: this is why I fucking HATED driving my GTI through the city. Philly summers end up in the mid to high 80s and mid 90s, with high humidity (not Texas humidity mind you but up there). And South Philly is a stop and go environment with all the street intersections. All tiny turbo motors heat soak to the gills within 5-10 minutes of driving in these conditions.

The fact that the turbo motor here lost almost 2 seconds 0-60 is ridiculous, but goes to show how much the engine is leaning on the turbo to make power, and when that turbo is useless the whole thing goes to shit. Look at the consistency of the NA motor. There is literally no point in getting the turbo in this specific vehicle.
That’s just a testament to shitty engineering designed with a budget in mind. Slanty H life

Been talking about turbos in shitty cars for a while as well. They don’t even live up the the mpg standards.

But proper turbo’d cars are fine. The turbo I-6 In the 335i
Got better mpg than the same engine I had from 1992. And it also had way more power.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 am

Was it modified?

Yes coilovers + front lip

I'd love a bro-forx like zil had
You can’t be serious about your question.

Much wider tires
Way less ground clearance

The front of the car is literally a snow plow
troyguitar

Once the winter tarz are on I'll have the exact same ground clearance as a :turboyaris: and most other cars. You can always buy :dong: extensions if you're :fullretard: too...

https://andersondesign-fab.com/product- ... ubaru-brz/