Car Talk 4: Full Wrong Ahead

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:21 pm
The roads here are absolutely fucking covered with salt. Fucking :rage:
We also had small snow coming into the forecast last night, but I remember when that usually happens, I usually end up with a 2 tone paint job. This time it didn't :mindblown:
Like so:

Image

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:18 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:10 pm


We also had small snow coming into the forecast last night, but I remember when that usually happens, I usually end up with a 2 tone paint job. This time it didn't :mindblown:
Like so:

Image
:yes'th: :dat: offwhite
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 pm

So my dad is looking at winter beaters, and found some 2007 Jeep Liberty for sale that he for some reason thinks is basically the only good option. It's a base model with 150k miles and the dude is asking $4k. Meanwhile my friend is selling a 2007 Legacy Limited with 120k miles on it and said for my dad it would be $3k. My dad is worried the Legacy is too "old lady" and isn't sure if he wants to be getting in and out of a car? I should just let him buy the fucking Heep shouldn't I?

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 pm
So my dad is looking at winter beaters, and found some 2007 Jeep Liberty for sale that he for some reason thinks is basically the only good option. It's a base model with 150k miles and the dude is asking $4k. Meanwhile my friend is selling a 2007 Legacy Limited with 120k miles on it and said for my dad it would be $3k. My dad is worried the Legacy is too "old lady" and isn't sure if he wants to be getting in and out of a car? I should just let him buy the fucking Heep shouldn't I?
Both are horrific choices

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 pm
So my dad is looking at winter beaters, and found some 2007 Jeep Liberty for sale that he for some reason thinks is basically the only good option. It's a base model with 150k miles and the dude is asking $4k. Meanwhile my friend is selling a 2007 Legacy Limited with 120k miles on it and said for my dad it would be $3k. My dad is worried the Legacy is too "old lady" and isn't sure if he wants to be getting in and out of a car? I should just let him buy the fucking Heep shouldn't I?
Both are horrific choices
I don't see what's wrong with the Legacy. My mom had an '07 and my dad always had good things to say about it. It's had all services done. There's not many good choices in the $3-4k range

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 pm


Both are horrific choices
I don't see what's wrong with the Legacy. My mom had an '07 and my dad always had good things to say about it. It's had all services done. There's not many good choices in the $3-4k range
Does it have the head gaskets replaced ? Subaru’s that old aren’t the pinnacle of reliability.

Also what’s the reasoning behind a 3/4K “beater” ? Is your dad capable of working on cars

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm


I don't see what's wrong with the Legacy. My mom had an '07 and my dad always had good things to say about it. It's had all services done. There's not many good choices in the $3-4k range
Does it have the head gaskets replaced ? Subaru’s that old aren’t the pinnacle of reliability.

Also what’s the reasoning behind a 3/4K “beater” ? Is your dad capable of working on cars
Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Does it have the head gaskets replaced ? Subaru’s that old aren’t the pinnacle of reliability.

Also what’s the reasoning behind a 3/4K “beater” ? Is your dad capable of working on cars
Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
If the Subaru has that done I’d def go that route

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:55 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
If the Subaru has that done I’d def go that route
I agree he just has something against it for some reason. Are there any "hidden gem" cars I'm maybe not thinking of? Heated seats and satellite radio capability would be a plus.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:55 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm

If the Subaru has that done I’d def go that route
I agree he just has something against it for some reason. Are there any "hidden gem" cars I'm maybe not thinking of? Heated seats and satellite radio capability would be a plus.
At that price point it’s maintenance history first rest later

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm

WJ jeeps Are ok... but mostly beat to shit by their 7th owner

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm
WJ jeeps Are ok... but mostly beat to shit by their 7th owner
I found a WK that I'll show him tomorrow. The Liberty he found is a shitty base model but it was a NYS owned vehicle so I imagine it was at least maintained well enough.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 34051
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Does it have the head gaskets replaced ? Subaru’s that old aren’t the pinnacle of reliability.

Also what’s the reasoning behind a 3/4K “beater” ? Is your dad capable of working on cars
Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
My dad, my brother, and my brother's wife all have legacys / outbacks from this gen, and about the only thing that has gone wrong on them is the head gasket thing. If that's taken care of it should be a pretty decent car.

I don't get the old lady comment. They will out handle almost any competitor and don't even suck with the base 4 cyl motor and 4 speed auto. They are a little loud and tinny, noise isolation wasn't great in these.

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Yes HG and Timing belt were done at 105k. My dad doesn't want to drive his 300 in the salt so he's looking for a car to drive in case he doesn't move to FL for work. He's 100% Capable of working on cars and has done so his entire life, but doesn't want to work on a car he might only own for a couple of months.
My dad, my brother, and my brother's wife all have legacys / outbacks from this gen, and about the only thing that has gone wrong on them is the head gasket thing. If that's taken care of it should be a pretty decent car.

I don't get the old lady comment. They will out handle almost any competitor and don't even suck with the base 4 cyl motor and 4 speed auto. They are a little loud and tinny, noise isolation wasn't great in these.
Yeah like I said my mom had a 2007 Limited until this spring, and my dad always had good things to say about it so I don't really get the old lady comments either. Unless he just thinks of my 62 y/o mom when he sees one idk.

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 pm

So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

I also :stig: on on-ramps, and to be honest, I didn't feel that much difference compared to my GTI in terms of how much speed I carry, about 10 mph less in comparison. I think what it really needs it's a tighter steering and better trans programming with a functioning manual mode, and that's really all it needs to be almost identical. Of course that has to do with wrong wheel drive, front engine and both on car platform. :mindblown: :lol: :gaydance:
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 pm

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 pm
So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

I also :stig: on on-ramps, and to be honest, I didn't feel that much difference compared to my GTI in terms of how much speed I carry, about 10 mph less in comparison. I think what it really needs it's a tighter steering and better trans programming with a functioning manual mode, and that's really all it needs to be almost identical. Of course that has to do with wrong wheel drive, front engine and both on car platform. :mindblown: :lol: :gaydance:
How’s the mani pedi holding up? My gal totally did something different this time and 2 of my nails chipped already and I paid extra for gel! Which I never do. Going to have to switch places, any reccos ?

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 pm
So dad is out of town for over a week and I'm letting my GTI sit and drive his Explorer sport as my daily, and man I just love the :aintcare: driving, except these slow ass drivers just :rage: the fuck out of me, but thank god for that 3.5TT. I just got back from a date in DC and there's road work on one of the main roads where I feel like offroading with my GTI, and with the explorer, just glide over them and not darting out of potholes.

I also :stig: on on-ramps, and to be honest, I didn't feel that much difference compared to my GTI in terms of how much speed I carry, about 10 mph less in comparison. I think what it really needs it's a tighter steering and better trans programming with a functioning manual mode, and that's really all it needs to be almost identical. Of course that has to do with wrong wheel drive, front engine and both on car platform. :mindblown: :lol: :gaydance:
How’s the mani pedi holding up? My gal totally did something different this time and 2 of my nails chipped already and I paid extra for gel! Which I never do. Going to have to switch places, any reccos ?
Will get back to you after making a reservation for a hibachi date with her BRB #priorities
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 pm

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 pm

How’s the mani pedi holding up? My gal totally did something different this time and 2 of my nails chipped already and I paid extra for gel! Which I never do. Going to have to switch places, any reccos ?
Will get back to you after making a reservation for a hibachi date with her BRB #priorities
You gonna take the kiddies with ? You got the capacity.




In all seriousness stop glamorizing :aintcare: driving, sad!

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 pm


Will get back to you after making a reservation for a hibachi date with her BRB #priorities
You gonna take the kiddies with ? You got the capacity.




In all seriousness stop glamorizing :aintcare: driving, sad!
just temporarily, it's to really keep some miles off the GTI.
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 25263
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: CookieMonster
Location: NJ

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 pm
max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 pm
WJ jeeps Are ok... but mostly beat to shit by their 7th owner
I found a WK that I'll show him tomorrow. The Liberty he found is a shitty base model but it was a NYS owned vehicle so I imagine it was at least maintained well enough.
If you have any WK questions, just let me know. Wifey is on her second one now.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:47 pm


User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:50 pm

max225 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:47 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAYQzkGojAM&t=131s

Do you guys watch this man... :jelly:
I remember seeing a video of him a few times where he debated to sell his galardo or not after he got laid off.
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 14947
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Dangerously Slow
Location: Hoth

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am

Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

Why anyone would buy trucks over these things is beyond me...

User avatar
MexicanYarisTK
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6369
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am
Drives: a car w/ an auschwitz dipstick
Location: 23 miles from the White Haus

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:51 am

troyguitar wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am
Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

Why anyone would buy trucks over these things is beyond me...
because we muricans are too fat to fit in a puny little fusion
because muricans don't care about holding anything other than their big gulp cups from 7-11
because muricans need a cargo space to pick up kids from the fat camp
Zillon wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:46 pm
Honesty is the best :alpo: policy.
check my yarii fools @tkmk777

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 24991
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: JCW Clowncar

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 am

troyguitar wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:47 am
Our rental here is a brand new loaded Fusion titanium awd, had 6 miles on the odo when I got in. It's a really nice car. The seats for some reason actually have super narrow bolsters which fit my skinny ass great. The adaptive cruise works perfectly. The steering and braking are even decent.

Why anyone would buy trucks over these things is beyond me...
do you lifestyle shop bro ?

Are you an uber driver or an epic adventure ready guy who loves labradors and has a picturesque cabin in the woods?

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest