OT 16: A pirate's life for me!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:11 pm Maybe an IRA or a no load mutual fund might be a not terrible suggestion? :iono:
I mean, by putting it in "the market" I mean what is effectively a handful of index funds. It's not all going into TSLA.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 am

thats a terrible fucking idea
What would you suggest, taking out a yuuge loan and tax burden on some pot fillers?
Diversify. Some CD's some commodities, some funds, etc. Safest place right now would be high yield CD's that stay under the FDIC limit.

Its dumb to stuff under a mattress too, but by god at LEAST diversity and don't go whole ham into the US based market / funds.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:23 pm

What would you suggest, taking out a yuuge loan and tax burden on some pot fillers?
Diversify. Some CD's some commodities, some funds, etc. Safest place right now would be high yield CD's that stay under the FDIC limit.

Its dumb to stuff under a mattress too, but by god at LEAST diversity and don't go whole ham into the US based market / funds.
Gimme dat CD money! I can insure up to $12.5 mill. I can go higher on the insurance with liquidity too, but you'll get a lower rate.
troyguitar

:aintcare:

Even after this move, we still have too much sitting in basically cash.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:20 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:11 pm Maybe an IRA or a no load mutual fund might be a not terrible suggestion? :iono:
I mean, by putting it in "the market" I mean what is effectively a handful of index funds. It's not all going into TSLA.
Oh. Well that's not so bad then.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:32 pm

:aintcare:

Even after this move, we still have too much sitting in basically cash.
Buy crack rocks. Re-sell. Make bank.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Gimme dat CD money! I can insure up to $12.5 mill. I can go higher on the insurance with liquidity too, but you'll get a lower rate.
What's the APR on a high yield CD anymore? 3%?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Ah shit. I think an offer is coming in from last week's interview. HR dude emailed me from that thread we had and asked me to call him. Just called and left a voicemail. See what he says when he calls back :excited:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Dunno, but plain old savings and checking accounts are sitting at 2% at several places now. We're trying to consolidate to a single working checking account and a single investment account (outside of 401k and IRA stuff). The local credit union checking is 2.5% APY right now if you have direct deposit and some minimum balance.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:57 pm Ah shit. I think an offer is coming in from last week's interview. HR dude emailed me from that thread we had and asked me to call him. Just called and left a voicemail. See what he says when he calls back :excited:
Fingers crossed dude.

I applied to a few places today. We will see what happens.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Dunno, but plain old savings and checking accounts are sitting at 2% at several places now. We're trying to consolidate to a single working checking account and a single investment account (outside of 401k and IRA stuff). The local credit union checking is 2.5% APY right now if you have direct deposit and some minimum balance.
2.5% on a checking account is bonkers. Take them up on that. I mean shit my online MMA is doing worse than that. Best checking acct rates around me are like 0.2% :lolol:

I hear you on the consolidation. I have shit everywhere, and it's annoying.
Apex

2.5-3ish depending on the institution and their appetite.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 pm

2.5% on a checking account is bonkers. Take them up on that. I mean shit my online MMA is doing worse than that. Best checking acct rates around me are like 0.2% :lolol:

Fine print on those high interest checking accounts usually lists a cap of interest on first $15k or something like dat doe.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:57 pm Ah shit. I think an offer is coming in from last week's interview. HR dude emailed me from that thread we had and asked me to call him. Just called and left a voicemail. See what he says when he calls back :excited:
Awwwww shheeeiiittttt. :popcorn:
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:05 pm 2.5% on a checking account is bonkers. Take them up on that. I mean shit my online MMA is doing worse than that. Best checking acct rates around me are like 0.2% Imageol:

Fine print on those high interest checking accounts usually lists a cap of interest on first $15k or something like dat doe.
Yep, this one is $20k. That's fine for our purposes though, it's basically just a combo of an emergency fund and a wallet. I can't see us needing to keep over $20k liquid anyway.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 pm

2.5-3ish depending on the institution and their appetite.
Hmm. Opened one for the hell of it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:nice:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Damn. So both teams felt that I was over qualified for the positions. I was second choice for one of them, and the other I'm just not going on to the next round of interviews. Both teams liked me so much though that they sent my info to the contracts team where they think I'll be a good fit. Contracts team likes my resume, so they want to interview me tomorrow. Going to to a phone interview so that I don't have to drive down there a third time.

We'll see what happens.

Not bad news overall, but man I really got my hopes up for a second there.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 pm Damn. So both teams felt that I was over qualified for the positions. I was second choice for one of them, and the other I'm just not going on to the next round of interviews. Both teams liked me so much though that they sent my info to the contracts team where they think I'll be a good fit. Contracts team likes my resume, so they want to interview me tomorrow. Going to to a phone interview so that I don't have to drive down there a third time.

We'll see what happens.

Sorry dude. But there's still hope!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 pm Damn. So both teams felt that I was over qualified for the positions. I was second choice for one of them, and the other I'm just not going on to the next round of interviews. Both teams liked me so much though that they sent my info to the contracts team where they think I'll be a good fit. Contracts team likes my resume, so they want to interview me tomorrow. Going to to a phone interview so that I don't have to drive down there a third time.

We'll see what happens.

Don't worry. I'm sure you and your rice cooker will find a nice new home. :wub:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

We'll see what happens.

jesus Johnny she has a NAME
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Zojirushi!

But she goes by Kim.
SAWCE

Thanks guys. Definitely not completely :flaccid: since it really sounds like they're trying to find a good fit for me over there. HR dude is cool too. He's the one that pushed for tomorrow to be a phone screen instead of making me drive down again. Last name Delong. Wonder if he's related to Tom fom Blink-182...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Zojirushi!

But she goes by Kim.
I think the joke here was Michelle but now it’s not funny
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.