Johnny's Great Adventure

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:28 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:14 am Oh look a scooter powered manual minivan without cruise control and a trailer.

:nevermind:
Does it need cruise control when your foot has to be on the floor at all times?
Guess cruise could just be a large-ish rock
Johnny_P

New musings:
A bit less camping, a bit more AirBnB's as base camps.
AirBnB's for mountain bike locations makes a lot of sense, easier to clean myself and bike afterwards.

Plenty of friends have responded saying I can crash, which is huge and thank you guys, huge reduction on planning.
With reduced amount of camping, maybe sleep inside it isn't necessary. Tent is fine. If its total shit weather coming up I'll AirBnB or something. Like in Alaska, likely no camping, let's be real about this.

Camping for remote hiking / backcountry shit still gonna happen. Found a few other spots.
-Tuweep campground in Arizona - 4WD necessary
-Valley of Fire state park in Nevada

So waive the sleep inside requirement. Cot and tent. Maybe put an awning on whatever vehicle just for some easy shelter. Bike still needs to be able to be transported inside for winter weather / security / offroading.

"Off road" that I'll be doing is 2 track forest service roads and desert stuff. Stuff a regular ol stock full size pickup with decent tires could handle. Likely OK for a Forester type thing if it's lifted a hair and has aggressive tires I guess.

I think a 4th gen 4Runner is the ticket. They have selectable full time AWD with a locking torsen center diff which is great for snow and sand, will not get stuck due to ATRAC faux brake-diffs. High resale when it's over but I'd probably want to keep it. Now to find one to test drive.
Johnny_P

Strong contender
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Excellent maintenance history with documented spark plugs, drive belts, brakes and new calipers up front, trans flush.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 pm New musings:
A bit less camping, a bit more AirBnB's as base camps.
AirBnB's for mountain bike locations makes a lot of sense, easier to clean myself and bike afterwards.

Plenty of friends have responded saying I can crash, which is huge and thank you guys, huge reduction on planning.
With reduced amount of camping, maybe sleep inside it isn't necessary. Tent is fine. If its total shit weather coming up I'll AirBnB or something. Like in Alaska, likely no camping, let's be real about this.

Camping for remote hiking / backcountry shit still gonna happen. Found a few other spots.
-Tuweep campground in Arizona - 4WD necessary
-Valley of Fire state park in Nevada

So waive the sleep inside requirement. Cot and tent. Maybe put an awning on whatever vehicle just for some easy shelter. Bike still needs to be able to be transported inside for winter weather / security / offroading.

"Off road" that I'll be doing is 2 track forest service roads and desert stuff. Stuff a regular ol stock full size pickup with decent tires could handle. Likely OK for a Forester type thing if it's lifted a hair and has aggressive tires I guess.

I think a 4th gen 4Runner is the ticket. They have selectable full time AWD with a locking torsen center diff which is great for snow and sand, will not get stuck due to ATRAC faux brake-diffs. High resale when it's over but I'd probably want to keep it. Now to find one to test drive.
sounds awesome

now doitfaggot.jpg
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Apex
Drives: Abominable

2005 is a color, lower miles, and calipers aren't rusted to shit. But no HIDs.

2007 has HIDs, but higher miles and calipers look fubar'd (unless pics were taken prior to being replaced?).

I :like: this 4th Gen 4Runner idea. Might need a set of AT tars, but should otherwise be pretty ready to roll.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Been back 3 days

Read 160 pages of :crang: pocolypse = :dafuq: :rolleyes: :yeahok: :popcorn: :rage: :gag: :disgust: :fullretard: :derp: :facepalm: :disappoint: :sad: = :flaccid:

26 pages of dis = :tits: :excited: :fuckyeah: :gonbgud: :jimp: :nice: :mindblown: :moist: :amaze: = :dedong:

This is the stuff of dreams Johnny..... :bravo: for having the :balls: and the foresight to embark on this.....

All the best
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Irish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 pm Been back 3 days

Read 160 pages of :crang: pocolypse = :dafuq: :rolleyes: :yeahok: :popcorn: :rage: :gag: :disgust: :fullretard: :derp: :facepalm: :disappoint: :sad: = :flaccid:

26 pages of dis = :tits: :excited: :fuckyeah: :gonbgud: :jimp: :nice: :mindblown: :moist: :amaze: = :dedong:

This is the stuff of dreams Johnny..... :bravo: for having the :balls: and the foresight to embark on this.....

All the best
POTD
reason: 5/7 emoji use
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

All the best
Haha welcome back brother!
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:19 pm 2005 is a color, lower miles, and calipers aren't rusted to shit. But no HIDs.

2007 has HIDs, but higher miles and calipers look fubar'd (unless pics were taken prior to being replaced?).

I :like: this 4th Gen 4Runner idea. Might need a set of AT tars, but should otherwise be pretty ready to roll.
Yeah I think just tires alone would do it. Those Falken Wildpeak AT3W or whatever they are that Z has.
The 2005 is a better pick I think. Wonder how scheisty that dealer is.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:28 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:19 pm 2005 is a color, lower miles, and calipers aren't rusted to shit. But no HIDs.

Yeah I think just tires alone would do it. Those Falken Wildpeak AT3W or whatever they are that Z has.
The 2005 is a better pick I think. Wonder how scheisty that dealer is.
Z has the BFG KO2s, I have the Wildpeak AT3Ws that were on his 'rado now.
Go take a look at that '05.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 pm

All the best
POTD
:dat:
2nd'd
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:27 pm

All the best
Haha welcome back brother!
:wub:
Irish wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 pm
POTD
:fuckyeah: :zing:
wap wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:04 pm

POTD
2nd'd
olde timey :wub:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:11 pm Strong contender
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Excellent maintenance history with documented spark plugs, drive belts, brakes and new calipers up front, trans flush.
Wonder if I still know anyone over there.
Maybe Handzer does :iono:
They'd have to come down some in price, and I'd need to verify the front calipers aren't some cheap chinese piece of rusted shit.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Maybe Handzer does :iono:
They'd have to come down some in price, and I'd need to verify the front calipers aren't some cheap chinese piece of rusted shit.
Probably remanufactured OEM calipers.

The calipers on those seize up often. Same goes for Tacomas and FJs.
#oldcarshit
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the 4R, I'd target the newest one I could afford. That goes for any car selected to take be around an entire continent. High mileage=bigger discount and probably highway commuter. My worthless two cents.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What about the Lexus 4Runner thing? There were some pretty epic deals posted a while back, seems like the ultimate answer for comfy cruising and solid capability.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am What about the Lexus 4Runner thing? There were some pretty epic deals posted a while back, seems like the ultimate answer for comfy cruising and solid capability.
The non lex is more turn key I think. The upgraded stereo would be nice though.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:14 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Also perfect service history
This is incredible.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

The 4r is the opposite of the r4 (rav4). :mindblown:

did :wasteful: quit yet?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:20 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:14 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Also perfect service history
Hope you like cigarettes.

Looks like a burn hole in the driver seat. :notsure:
It’s a 14 year old crotchfruit carrying Toyota that went to the moon. There are bigger fish to fry.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:39 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 am

It’s a 14 year old crotchfruit carrying Toyota that went to the moon. There are bigger fish to fry.
Some people are pretty sensitive to cigarette odor - myself included. I can't deal with it.
Cigarette odor is a huge :nope: for me.
max225

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 am

Some people are pretty sensitive to cigarette odor - myself included. I can't deal with it.
You’re not a used car buyer man. Unless it’s close to perfect which is a :unicorn: type scenario. Speaking of, how’s the coolant level/smell
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:51 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am

You’re not a used car buyer man. Unless it’s close to perfect which is a :unicorn: type scenario. Speaking of, how’s the coolant level/smell
Coolant level hasn't budged one bit - top hasn't leaked either.

I still smell coolant periodically, but the JK doesn't have a sealed coolant reservoir so it's the nature of the beast I guess.

Also most cars haven't been smoked in these days, that's a trend that's steadily dropping thankfully.
:like: awesome to hear about the Jeep.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:39 am

Cigarette odor is a huge :nope: for me.