:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:03 pm I would personally go for an F80 M3 I think… it’s a known thing and pretty reliable. You can get a manual. They look great and it’s a great chassis. A couple years older and I think they can be had in the high 40s range you’re looking at. If you don’t track and do things like plugs and oil DIY, maintenance should be OKish.
:dat:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:03 pm I would personally go for an F80 M3 I think… it’s a known thing and pretty reliable. You can get a manual. They look great and it’s a great chassis. A couple years older and I think they can be had in the high 40s range you’re looking at. If you don’t track and do things like plugs and oil DIY, maintenance should be OKish.
Kind of... a battery is $2000... there is major M tax on already inflated parts costs in the BMW ecosystem. M3s are expensive to maintain as lamborghinis/ferraris.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:46 am
Kind of... a battery is $2000... there is major M tax on already inflated parts costs in the BMW ecosystem. M3s are expensive to maintain as lamborghinis/ferraris.
citation needed on this 2k battery silliness, please.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:07 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:46 am

F80 uses lithium ion battery for weight savings.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BM-612180 ... REQAvD_BwE
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:10 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:07 am

F80 uses lithium ion battery for weight savings.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BM-612180 ... REQAvD_BwE
YIOKES!

but, 2 points.
1. Li-ion battereis SHOULD last a LOT longer
2. the aftermarket *exists* https://www.ecstuning.com/b-braille-par ... 10049~brl/
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Aftermarket?!

:triggered:

:dillerman: or :gtfo:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

If you want to be a cool ass dick swinging motherfucker, it costs money. That's just the way it is.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Neighbor has a previous gen WRX :manuel: parked across the street that hasn’t moved since we got over here. Was chatting with him last night and brought it up. It’s his younger brother’s (away at college), and bro asked him to sell it for him. 18k miles, looking for $20k.Has a salvage title, so I’d need to find out why and what was done re: repairs, along with some other basic info.. but if the Allroad doesn’t pan out, I could probably be tempted to slide into that once I have the details on the title report and whatnot.

Edit: posting so you guys can tell me how bad of an idea this would be and why.
Last edited by SAWCE on Wed May 03, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

Might go snap a pic of the VIN off the windshield if anyone with a car :fax: account can run it for me.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:54 pm Neighbor has a previous gen WRX :manuel: parked across the street that hasn’t moved since we got over here. Was chatting with him last night and brought it up. It’s his younger brother’s (away at college), and bro asked him to sell it for him. 18k miles, looking for $20k.Has a salvage title, so I’d need to find out why and what was done re: repairs, along with some other basic info.. but if the Allroad doesn’t pan out, I could probably be tempted to slide into that once I have the details on the title report and whatnot.

eh, salvage title for 20k? basic bitch ones new are like 30k. Get him to 15k and consider it. Dont matter why its salvage, its a mark that will forever make the car hard to sell.
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:37 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:54 pm Neighbor has a previous gen WRX :manuel: parked across the street that hasn’t moved since we got over here. Was chatting with him last night and brought it up. It’s his younger brother’s (away at college), and bro asked him to sell it for him. 18k miles, looking for $20k.Has a salvage title, so I’d need to find out why and what was done re: repairs, along with some other basic info.. but if the Allroad doesn’t pan out, I could probably be tempted to slide into that once I have the details on the title report and whatnot.

eh, salvage title for 20k? basic bitch ones new are like 30k. Get him to 15k and consider it. Dont matter why its salvage, its a mark that will forever make the car hard to sell.
:dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

That was kinda my thought. It’s been sitting for at least two months so not like people are scrambling to grab it. I’m sure he’d come down on the price.

Carvana offering me $14k for the Elantra, which is pretty much exactly what I paid after tax title and registration nearly two years ago. Sell that to them and take a 1k hit to my savings account for a car Id actually enjoy driving, plus get the AWD for weather up here and trips to the ski resort. :notbad:
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:33 pm

That was kinda my thought. It’s been sitting for at least two months so not like people are scrambling to grab it. I’m sure he’d come down on the price.

Carvana offering me $14k for the Elantra, which is pretty much exactly what I paid after tax title and registration nearly two years ago. Sell that to them and take a 1k hit to my savings account for a car Id actually enjoy driving, plus get the AWD for weather up here and trips to the ski resort. :notbad:
Yeah there are cars that are "technically salvage" and perfectly fine to buy, and then there is salvage salvage that you will regret everyday until you sell it.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:53 pm

Yeah there are cars that are "technically salvage" and perfectly fine to buy, and then there is salvage salvage that you will regret everyday until you sell it.

yes, but you always take the $$ hit on the title.

one of the BMWs I looked at online was salvage. If it was closer I'd have seriously considered it. newer, only 24k miles, only 24k, indicated reason for salvage was water in floorboard.
SAWCE

Yeah that’s part of what I want to find out..
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:05 pm

one of the BMWs I looked at online was salvage. If it was closer I'd have seriously considered it. newer, only 24k miles, only 24k, indicated reason for salvage was water in floorboard.
It doesn't make any sense unless you know exactly what happened and of course, a massive price hit.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:07 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:05 pm

It doesn't make any sense unless you know exactly what happened and of course, a massive price hit.
Right. that same car would go for nearly 40 at a dealer without the salvage title in my case, for example.
max225

No fucking way. New ones are rotting on the lot... you can easily get them for high 20s and it'll have a warranty, and not a salvage title.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'd probably skip a salvage title WRX... but worth tracking down the history and seeing how cheap you could get it I suppose.

Personally if I wanted a WRX, I'd be all about a new one, they're not as ugly in person and pretty much the only cool thing sub $30K out there for an enthusiast.
SAWCE

That’s the kind of feedback I expected. Thanks guys. I’ll still get more info for curiosity’s sake and prosperity.
max225

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... NE/DEFAULT

29k... yea yea it has that fugly center screen but :whocares:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... NE/DEFAULT

I just can’t get into the way this gen looks. I end up liking most cars better in person vs seeing pictures, but I’ve seen a few of these around now and they’re just so :flaccid:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:15 pm I just can’t get into the way this gen looks. I end up liking most cars better in person vs seeing pictures, but I’ve seen a few of these around now and they’re just so :flaccid:
Dude I am 100% with you. Especially now that the Elantra N is getting a new front end? Forget about it. If fuel economy is the top priority, I'd go for the Civic Si. If it's fun you're after, get the Elantra N. The new WRX and the MK8 can drive themselves off a cliff.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So today at work as it was not even close as busy, i simply decided to look at :manuel: on carmax meaning newer cars and here's what I listed that I find it myself attainable. Mostly composed to brz/gr86 and a few others within the same ballpark. Couple probably out of my intended range + r but going back to an egg is kinda silly

https://www.carmax.com/car/24068481
https://www.carmax.com/car/23519543
https://www.carmax.com/car/23927113
https://www.carmax.com/car/23894836
https://www.carmax.com/car/24054180
https://www.carmax.com/car/23894228
https://www.carmax.com/car/23933205
https://www.carmax.com/car/24054539
https://www.carmax.com/car/23898017
https://www.carmax.com/car/23119525
https://www.carmax.com/car/24210716
https://www.carmax.com/car/24238858
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... NE/DEFAULT

I just can’t get into the way this gen looks. I end up liking most cars better in person vs seeing pictures, but I’ve seen a few of these around now and they’re just so :flaccid:
It is a heinous crime against style.