3D Printing: :boxodicks:

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Post Reply
User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 am

As most know I jumped on a BF deal for a upper end entry level printer. It has some great features and upgrades to make printing better and easier.

It's the anycube i3 and has a print bed of 8x8x8" I think it's a knock off of a Prusia i3 design but very high quality.

I'm familiar with 3d modelling but new to processing it by "slicing" and printing with different media. PLA is the most common and cheapest. It easier to use than other plastics and is derived from corn. ABS is second most popular but requires more heat therefore slightly more difficult to use and is "green". I have 3 1kg rolls of pla in black white and clear. 1 roll of black ABS on the way.

Im still learning but have the machine leveled and calibrated well. I'm using a free program Cura which is very powerful for generating the layers of print and methods.

Naturally, the second thing I printed was a tiny dick. My baby Groot screwed up from me bumping a lose wire.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 22205
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: TrukYeah!
Location: NJ

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:29 am

:neat:

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meotwa/05 SilveraDOE

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm

So how does the splicing program work? Does it just take your model and hollow it out with a uniform outside thickness or do you have to do some tweaking?
What kind of model are you bringing in? Step, Iges, parasolid, native 3d?
I've been on the fence about getting a 3d printer for years, just never pulled the trigger.

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 pm
So how does the splicing program work? Does it just take your model and hollow it out with a uniform outside thickness or do you have to do some tweaking?
What kind of model are you bringing in? Step, Iges, parasolid, native 3d?
I've been on the fence about getting a 3d printer for years, just never pulled the trigger.
Shape and obj files. STL? iirc. Cura is great. It does all the infill automatically based on the parameters you set. You set a layer thickness and a shell thickness then print speed. Those are the main variables. 10% infill is good for easy fast prints, the higher the infill the smaller the grid or fill style.

The two owls took right at 35 mins to print. The groot base you see is the infill at 20%.
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5029
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Drives: Mazda6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Can't wait until the dog eats it.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 pm

:lolol: that blue :jalepenis: christmas ornament doe

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 pm
:lolol: that blue :jalepenis: christmas ornament doe
:bravo:

alan has one. The veins are amazing in the light.
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

Going to print a WOOD GROOT. :fuckyeah:
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 22205
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: TrukYeah!
Location: NJ

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm

dubshow wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 pm
Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

Going to print a WOOD GROOT. :fuckyeah:
In4results!

User avatar
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30637
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am
Drives: Mk6Veyron
Location: Pepperland

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Apex wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm
dubshow wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 pm
Ordered some actual wood composite filament. has 20-30% actual wood. Can be stained. :mindblown:

Going to print a WOOD GROOT. :fuckyeah:
In4results!
And pics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm

yas!

This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm

wap wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:24 pm
Apex wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:36 pm


In4results!
And pics.
wood filament will be in by friday. I'll prep the model a bit to make sure it runs smoothly. :like:
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meotwa/05 SilveraDOE

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm

How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.

User avatar
dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 7677
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am
Drives: All of them

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm
How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.
pretty good. been printing stuff each night. Getting more comfortable with set it and let it print over night. Its a little loud so put it in some room away from where you sleep.

Each material prints differently. Order extra nozzles in different extrusion sizes. PLA is the hands down easiest thing to print. Im trying to get better at not having strings and strands all over.
This post is illegal in the European Union.

User avatar
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2441
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meotwa/05 SilveraDOE

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:18 pm

dubshow wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 pm
How's this been going? I've been looking for someone to make a custom Mazda Meowta emblem. I can either buy and tinker or just find someone that wants to test print some shit for some side cash.
pretty good. been printing stuff each night. Getting more comfortable with set it and let it print over night. Its a little loud so put it in some room away from where you sleep.

Each material prints differently. Order extra nozzles in different extrusion sizes. PLA is the hands down easiest thing to print. Im trying to get better at not having strings and strands all over.

I may consider it. There's plenty of odds and ends I can use it for like custom buttons and shit on the cars.
I know my friend wanted me to model him a plate to cover up a hole in his dash on his MR2 that's missing.
I'm waiting on a customer to get back with me on some prints so I had some free time. Decided to find someone that's got a Mazda logo and start to modify it. I just need to design some ears and modify the nose to get moar cat out of it.
Image

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12741
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:19 pm

That is amazing.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 0 guests