Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Crypto is insanity right now. I need to dust off my ledger and see where my holdings are at.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:21 pm Bumping this one up from the dead. Got a decent amount of cash that I don't have immediate use for, and trying to decide what to do with it. Nothing makes any sense to me anymore with regards to the market, so should I just hold onto my cash for a while and wait for a dip to get more involved?
A friend of mine introduced me to Wealthfront. It’s a service that manages your investments for you based on risk tolerance that you set up. His portfolio is up 80% since he started with them. Basically they sell/buy/trade your money.

It’s free up to $5,000 of managed funds but requires a $500 minimum in the investment account. I can send you a referral and it gives us both an additional free $5,000 of funds managed for free.

The management fee is nominal and it takes the stress away from checking stocks and investing/moving shit away especially if you don’t have time for it.

I still use robinhood for casual trading if I need to and then I have Coinbase to dip my feet into crypto as well.
Nice...this is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. We opened an account with a new local bank, and they want 2% of managed funds to do basically this...we set our risk tolerance and they have a brokerage that handles these things. I don't mind paying for a service that gets me solid returns, especially since I'm not really interested in picking stocks or managing things myself, but 2% seems really high when there's others that offer the same service for less. I also have accounts with ally, and was considering their investing service as well. I'll check out wealthfront and let you know before/if I sign up for that bonus.

Crypto makes zero sense to me, but nothing really does financially anymore. All I understand is debt and cash, which I'm out of debt other than the house (which at 2.6%, why would I ever pay that off early?), and I feel like I'm sitting on too much cash. At the same time, I'm fully expecting some sort of correction in all markets (stock, crypto, real estate, etc) so I'm gun-shy to dump cash in just to watch it tank.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:46 pm Crypto is insanity right now. I need to dust off my ledger and see where my holdings are at.
But WHY is crypto insanity right now? What's driving it other than speculation like before? I feel like everything is just running rampant of speculation and as long as the speculation continues, so does the run up. But that also makes for some pretty gnarly :nuke: bubble popping IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:04 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:46 pm Crypto is insanity right now. I need to dust off my ledger and see where my holdings are at.
But WHY is crypto insanity right now? What's driving it other than speculation like before? I feel like everything is just running rampant of speculation and as long as the speculation continues, so does the run up. But that also makes for some pretty gnarly :nuke: bubble popping IMO.
Cash is a goner that’s why, inflation is rampant and people have tons of cash. This is what happens when you pay people to sit at home vs go to work. And send them stimmies along the way.

We’re due for an epic reckoning. But whatever is high now will likely remain high ... because the “goal post” moved
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:25 pm
Cash is a goner that’s why, inflation is rampant and people have tons of cash. This is what happens when you pay people to sit at home vs go to work. And send them stimmies along the way.

We’re due for an epic reckoning. But whatever is high now will likely remain high ...
High will stay high, but will it go much higher? :iono: Sometimes I wonder if holding onto the cash for the time being would be wise for the next few quarters?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:25 pm

We’re due for an epic reckoning. But whatever is high now will likely remain high ...
High will stay high, but will it go much higher? :iono: Sometimes I wonder if holding onto the cash for the time being would be wise for the next few quarters?
In terms of going higher ... probably but also some downside risk also.
In terms of sitting on cash I don’t think so... too many people with cash at the moment. It will continue to depreciate as seen every day since April
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 pm
In terms of sitting on cash I don’t think so... too many people with cash at the moment. It will continue to depreciate as seen every day since April
So do what, dump it in the market? I see more downside than upside there, but agree that cash is losing value pretty quickly.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:43 pm
So do what, dump it in the market? I see more downside than upside there, but agree that cash is losing value pretty quickly.
Unless you have another option. That’s the only play.
You could start a business.... but that isn’t easy and takes a lot more effort than just clicking a button
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Crypto is the poor man's stock market at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Unless you have another option. That’s the only play.
You could start a business.... but that isn’t easy and takes a lot more effort than just clicking a button
I don't have any business ideas that I believe enough in to pull the trigger on.

I have thought about buying a rental property, but again that's more work than clicking a button.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Write a check to Vanguard and let them do the work. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am Write a check to Vanguard and let them do the work. :iono:
Yea, probably. Just nervous about impending :nuke: and it would be my luck that I'd get into the market right at the peak.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:22 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am Write a check to Vanguard and let them do the work. :iono:
Yea, probably. Just nervous about impending :nuke: and it would be my luck that I'd get into the market right at the peak.
Cash won't save you... as mentioned it is very tough to be "smarter" than "everyone else" if/when shit hits the fan it'll do it for everyone.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 pm
Cash won't save you... as mentioned it is very tough to be "smarter" than "everyone else" if/when shit hits the fan it'll do it for everyone.
I don't feel like we are reaching :nuke: status and willing to bet that the inflation game is the only way to go. If we did :nuke: then bank issued gold bars and paid off property is the best countermeasure. Coincidentally, the same countermeasures apply well if things continue to inflate perpetually. It's just my opinion, :doe: , and I'm a dumb peon so I don't offer my own opinions on investing to people typically.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Eh, you're young. Everyone recovered after the 2008-2009 :nuke: within a few years. It'll come back from whatever future :doomed: may be lurking.

We've had our Vanguard account for maybe 20? years and it's more than tripled in value without us adding anything to it for at least a decade or more.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am in the same boat, Chris. We have a good amount of cash on hand as we thought it was wise... now it's just basically lost XX% of its value over the past year and it is pretty :disgust:

I'm :notsure: what the best route is. Max makes a valid point that it is really difficult to be "smarter" than everyone else. As I've mentioned, many people I know around here argue heatedly that we should invest in real estate but I'm not really in to adding another job to my list of things to do. Owning one house is a huge fucking pain in my ass, I don't want two or three.

We contribute a lot to retirement investment accounts, but I'd be curious to know what a good mid range savings option would be... perhaps for a future housing change or something, not as farout as retirement.

We made a large % return with Acorns in the past, may just go back to that as it's an easy way out, it sounds about like what Rudy describes. :notsure: what the management take is though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Is just dumping into theSMP500 smarter? IT's way lower cost and should be pretty strong/grow if it just sits for 5+ years?
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:41 pm Is just dumping into theSMP500 smarter? IT's way lower cost and should be pretty strong/grow if it just sits for 5+ years?
Seems that way. Something like that or Att with the 7% annual dividend
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:41 pm Is just dumping into theSMP500 smarter? IT's way lower cost and should be pretty strong/grow if it just sits for 5+ years?
AT&T the telecom company? I'm not really on board with dumping all my eggs in one basket. My grandma had close to a mill in Exon (long story), despite years and years of everyone telling her that was dumb... I still think it's dumb.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:45 pm

AT&T the telecom company? I'm not really on board with dumping all my eggs in one basket. My grandma had close to a mill in Exon (long story), despite years and years of everyone telling her that was dumb... I still think it's dumb.
Put 1/4 into that 1/4 into S&P 500. And maybe get some sort of a shitty bond. That would be the safest thing to do right now IMO. But it is quite unpredictable at the moment IMO. All things are at all time highs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Put 1/4 into that 1/4 into S&P 500. And maybe get some sort of a shitty bond. That would be the safest thing to do right now IMO. But it is quite unpredictable at the moment IMO. All things are at all time highs.
That is why I've continued to sit on cash (and admittedly laziness)... It's not done me any favors. I should've just used the cash to keep the BMW, that would've been a better investment :lolol: It's now worth 25% more.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm

That is why I've continued to sit on cash (and admittedly laziness)... It's not done me any favors. I should've just used the cash to keep the BMW, that would've been a better investment :lolol: It's now worth 25% more.
Yupppp I parked 70k in 2 highly depreciating vehicles... 15% negative a year baby.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Yupppp I parked 70k in 2 highly depreciating vehicles... 15% negative a year baby.
:ohwell: At least they are enjoyable... unlike cash in a savings account.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:01 pm

:ohwell: At least they are enjoyable... unlike cash in a savings account.
:dat: is true
ChrisoftheNorth

The likelihood of AT&T tanking to the point where they'd reduce the dividend significantly seems unlikely. If anything, AT&T should be more resistant than others because telcom is probably the highest in demand ever.

Maybe I should consider this...