The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am GTI gets my vote. Those cars are great commuters/highway bruisers. 6 year 72k warranty, and you've got an SCCA membershit, right?

Come buy from me and have an epic road trip home.
Alternatively, he can take your deal to his local VW :dillerman: and never send you a beers for it. Haha!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Alternatively: A used :poorvette: plus $20-30k gets you into a decent 2009+ Cayman...
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 pm

My MK6 had 60k on it and I got $8500 for it so :idbu:

They depreciate hard. Buy a used Sport like Coogles did. It's the best spec, and someone else took the rape for the first year depreciation.
Bend over, baby. I got $11.5k for mine with something like 57k on it. :dillerman: sold it for $14k.

Check out prices on ~6 year old MK6s right now. 2012s are still easily $10k+ even with high miles on them, lower mile cars are $12k-$14k, and the MK7 SEs cost more to begin with. 2012 Sis seem to be going for similar money, so while you spend a little more on the GTI new versus the Si, after 6 years they'll be worth similar. And GTIs generally can be had so discounted that the actual purchase price isn't that far off.

Obviously still best to go gently used, but GTI values don't seem to tank long-term any more than comparable cars, save maybe the :fullretard: pricing on WRX hatches.
Yeah I got $4.5k for mine with 170k miles, beat to shit, and needing a new ECM.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

SAWCE wrote:
coogles wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm Bend over, baby. I got $11.5k for mine with something like 57k on it. :dillerman: sold it for $14k.

Check out prices on ~6 year old MK6s right now. 2012s are still easily $10k+ even with high miles on them, lower mile cars are $12k-$14k, and the MK7 SEs cost more to begin with. 2012 Sis seem to be going for similar money, so while you spend a little more on the GTI new versus the Si, after 6 years they'll be worth similar. And GTIs generally can be had so discounted that the actual purchase price isn't that far off.

Obviously still best to go gently used, but GTI values don't seem to tank long-term any more than comparable cars, save maybe the :fullretard: pricing on WRX hatches.
Why did you need a new ECM? t00n?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SAWCE

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:29 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Why did you need a new ECM? t00n?

I did some somewhat unintentional off-roading, one of my O2 sensors got ripped out, and something caused the ECM to short out. Had a shop out here competely rewire everything and replace the sensors and stuff, but the check engine light wouldn't turn off and they ended up tracing the fault back to the ECM.

I actually had my ECM (ECU?) replaced when I got tooned doe. The guy dremmelling my case open knicked the board and shorted it out. Shop was cool though and had a friend at a VW dealer who replaced it for me under warranty.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am GTI gets my vote. Those cars are great commuters/highway bruisers. 6 year 72k warranty, and you've got an SCCA membershit, right?

Come buy from me and have an epic road trip home.
:dat: should sill the :dill:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am What GTIs have the LSD?
performance pack like trudy has and GTI sport (essentially PP base model)
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am What GTIs have the LSD?
The only ones worth purchasing
I've farted on trudy's passenger seat and I felt like it is tad quicker than mine too. Dat g force
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Second option would be the current gen si. I'm told trudy's gti can take regular too.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:38 pm
max225 wrote:Used golfs are super expensive for no reason I don’t know :wtf: is going on
That's why I was kind of thinking A3 > :turboyaris: but it's automatic+premium only so not great for this discussion.
I might as well get a wrx instead of a3, dat quattro does add weight and so is subies symmetrical derp wheel drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm Too bad the civic hatch doesn't come in green.
:word:

From what I'm seeing none of them come in green now.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:07 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:22 pm Too bad the civic hatch doesn't come in green.

Isn't VW rolling out that program where you can pick any color of the rainbow? Or are you gonna look to buy used?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:07 pm

Isn't VW rolling out that program where you can pick any color of the rainbow? Or are you gonna look to buy used?
Only on Golf R. That ish is above my pay grade.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:18 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm

That's dumb.

EDIT: Make more money.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 pm

That's dumb.

How ppl people poor? just make more money!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 pm

That's dumb.

I think an R would be feasible if I actually make the target, but not going to jump into anything too crazy. It could wind up being meh.

Also, as much as the R is awesome, I think I'd rather have a GTI and a :poorvette: for the same cash outlay.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 pm That's dumb.

I think an R would be feasible if I actually make the target, but not going to jump into anything too crazy. It could wind up being meh.

Also, as much as the R is awesome, I think I'd rather have a GTI and a :poorvette: for the same cash outlay.
But brah. A t00ned DSGay R will dust the :poorvette:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 pm
D Griff wrote:

But brah. A t00ned DSGay R will dust the :poorvette:

Yeah, true :lolol: .

But the Corvette isn't the discussion here. End of the day I'd rather keep it and get something "lower" level like a FiST, R-Spec, or GTI, than sell it and get an R/FoRS, STi, etc. I really have zero use for AWD.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One thing I really hate to admit liking a lot is the Shitvic Type aRRR but that's expensive too.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote:One thing I really hate to admit liking a lot is the Shitvic Type aRRR but that's expensive too.
I kinda like them too but I'm willing to bet :dillerman: are still charging markup. Si and GTI really seem to be the best options.

Obligatory $36k for a shitvic?!?!?

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm pretty sure Fled told me he drove one. He was less than impressed if I remember right. It's probably only great on track.

troyguitar

Looks like the Lobster is indeed available now, but there are only a handful of R-specs in the country and they are nowhere near NC or KY for a :dillerman: test drive.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchres ... 0&zc=28105
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:07 pm The halogen projectors on both of our Mazdas (and my old MR2) are fine - and yeah new bulbs are like $15/pair.
That's the thing. New LED lights are all the rage and produce white bro-light and look cool but you're fuuuuuuuucked if you burn a bulb out. Basically requires full headlight housing replacement in most cars.

IDK, maybe this is me getting :wap: but I've now been in plenty of halogen cars that I deemed lighting was decent enough to not actually care if I were to own it.
Agreed that the halogens in my :turboyaris: are 5/7 :notbad:
They may not be as pure white as good LED's but they sure seem to project a pretty strong beam pretty far.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm

That's the thing. New LED lights are all the rage and produce white bro-light and look cool but you're fuuuuuuuucked if you burn a bulb out. Basically requires full headlight housing replacement in most cars.

IDK, maybe this is me getting :wap: but I've now been in plenty of halogen cars that I deemed lighting was decent enough to not actually care if I were to own it.
Agreed that the halogens in my :turboyaris: are 5/7 :notbad:
They may not be as pure white as good LED's but they sure seem to project a pretty strong beam pretty far.
You can never sell this to millenials. Out of date iphones and cars without HIDs are like being teleported to the Bronze Age. Every time you and I get in our halogen headlamp cars and drive at night WE ARE CHEATING DEATH EVERY TIME WE ARRIVE HOME SAFELY. WE DANCE WITH A CATLIKE LUCIFER WAITING TO STEAL OUR LIVES EVERY SECOND BRO. Think about driving in the 60s... Every time you got in a car at night, it was Evel Kneivel buckling up to jump the Snake River Canyon.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

HIDs and DCTs are obsolete interim technologies that are already being phased out, :bruh: