House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:51 pm

I let the first one from Chris go but I don't get it. I think dishwashers are easy AF DIY? What do you guys feel like the problem is? Slide em in, hook up easy electrical and plumbing, screw the top tabs into your cabinet, :micdrop:?
For me, I found the lack of room to work underneath it to be a pain. Plus, the electrician that did the rough work (this was in my mom's kitchen that I GC'd during her remodel some years ago) didn't leave me a long enough length of BX to wire the thing so it was a challenge to get the wiring hooked up. The drain was easy doe and it worked fine once I finally got it all connected.
This basically. I'm a linebacker at 6'5 270. Because of the tight confines, there is zero room to make connections. The last I installed at our prior house, none of the connections were long enough to fully connect before pushing the dishwasher in. All connections have to be made from underneath where there's only a few inches of working space. So I'd need to push it in just enough to make a water connection, then a bit further for the drain, then all the way for the power. And because the space is so tight, if things weren't connected, they would get in the way of the feet and make leveling impossible. Leveling a dishwasher is critical, so i ended up connecting and disconnecting it 5 times at least to get it perfect. Add to that the complication of making sure the seals on the side of the tub are lining up with the cabinets properly, and it's just a huge cluster that I have no interest in dealing with again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm :neat: pictars from my new Galaxy Potadoe 8.

For scale...the rug is 12' in diameter. There's two of those built-ins, one in each corner. :tits: says we're repainting this room green or something. I'm going to strip the woodwork including the built-ins because...

Foyer that's big enough to be a "parlor". Setup for me to enjoy whisky in. Check out the woodwork on that "judges paneling".

POs said that icebox was here when they moved in. Dude refinished it and polished the hardware. They speculated it could be original. It houses part of our liquor collection...

Here's the window frame in that room:

Closeup of what appears to be rift sawn wood:

Front door (uses skeleton key as main lock :aintcare: safe neighborhood)

The insane grain pattern on the door between the kitchen and the foyer:

Massive original windows in the living room (woodwork to be stripped):

Floors we just had refinished upstairs. Turned out great for being 108 years old...

Kitchen that's soon to be tore up...

Obligatory of dead dishwasher. Bottom drawer is full of parts I took out trying to fix it

:neat:
I think that window in your parlor is the wood that made me think you had some 1/4 sawn. It's close. It not an exact science. That board definitely has some rays in it. Is it text book quarter sawn? Who cares, it looks great.

I can't wait to see what's under that paint.

Does look obvious that of some is quarter sawn that it just happened by chance. Almost any way you cut a log is going to produce at least some "quarter sawn" material in appearance

And yeah. That kitchen door :datass:
My guess is that it's all live sawn and there's parts that just happen to have the quarter sawn appearance. I agree :aintcare: because it looks great. Stripping the painted trim will be :excited:
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:49 pm
I can't even find this thing for cheaper anywhere else. The black slate color costs a premium. :|

Free installation and delivery is pretty epic. I HATE installing dishwashers.
I don't blame you - but I also don't like stuff being done :wrong: - I did mine myself.

I'd suggest removing the old one first and cleaning under/behind it before they install the new one. I found some... gems... under mine. :gag:
Yea, we'll see how correct they do it. Free installation, so worst case, I fix it myself. I'm out nothing.

I'll absolutely clean behind the old one before the new one goes in. In fact, I've already cleaned a lot underneath from repairing it. The drawers expose a lot of the floor, which was :gag: at first, but made cleaning easier. I'm probably going to pull it out a few days prior so i can harvest the new parts I put in it for recoup some cost. Then I can clean before the new one.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:19 pm :neat: pictars from my new Galaxy Potadoe 8.

For scale...the rug is 12' in diameter. There's two of those built-ins, one in each corner. :tits: says we're repainting this room green or something. I'm going to strip the woodwork including the built-ins because...

Foyer that's big enough to be a "parlor". Setup for me to enjoy whisky in. Check out the woodwork on that "judges paneling".

POs said that icebox was here when they moved in. Dude refinished it and polished the hardware. They speculated it could be original. It houses part of our liquor collection...

Here's the window frame in that room:

Closeup of what appears to be rift sawn wood:

Front door (uses skeleton key as main lock :aintcare: safe neighborhood)

The insane grain pattern on the door between the kitchen and the foyer:

Massive original windows in the living room (woodwork to be stripped):

Floors we just had refinished upstairs. Turned out great for being 108 years old...

Kitchen that's soon to be tore up...

Obligatory of dead dishwasher. Bottom drawer is full of parts I took out trying to fix it

:neat:
Fuck that's some beautiful :woodplow: mang! Really, really nice :haus: Love those big "Chicago windows" in the first pic. I bet that ice box is original. Love that front door. The house I grew up in (the 1910 one) had skeleton keys for several of the doors. I thought they were awesome as a kid.

You really have an :amaze: :haus: dude.
"Chicago windows" huh? Never heard that term before. :notbad:

The windows in the house are massive. Indicative of "prairie box style' that the house was clearly designed around. The style did originate in Chicago, intended to be a "midwest craftsman" of sorts.

I really love this house. We scored big time.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am

For me, I found the lack of room to work underneath it to be a pain. Plus, the electrician that did the rough work (this was in my mom's kitchen that I GC'd during her remodel some years ago) didn't leave me a long enough length of BX to wire the thing so it was a challenge to get the wiring hooked up. The drain was easy doe and it worked fine once I finally got it all connected.
This basically. I'm a linebacker at 6'5 270. Because of the tight confines, there is zero room to make connections. The last I installed at our prior house, none of the connections were long enough to fully connect before pushing the dishwasher in. All connections have to be made from underneath where there's only a few inches of working space. So I'd need to push it in just enough to make a water connection, then a bit further for the drain, then all the way for the power. And because the space is so tight, if things weren't connected, they would get in the way of the feet and make leveling impossible. Leveling a dishwasher is critical, so i ended up connecting and disconnecting it 5 times at least to get it perfect. Add to that the complication of making sure the seals on the side of the tub are lining up with the cabinets properly, and it's just a huge cluster that I have no interest in dealing with again.
You fit in a Colorado??
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:52 am
You fit in a Colorado??
Easily. They have a ton of space inside. The headroom with the seat all the way down is most :impressive: to me. I barely fit in a Tacoma.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am
wap wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm

Fuck that's some beautiful :woodplow: mang! Really, really nice :haus: Love those big "Chicago windows" in the first pic. I bet that ice box is original. Love that front door. The house I grew up in (the 1910 one) had skeleton keys for several of the doors. I thought they were awesome as a kid.

You really have an :amaze: :haus: dude.

The windows in the house are massive. Indicative of "prairie box style' that the house was clearly designed around. The style did originate in Chicago, intended to be a "midwest craftsman" of sorts.

Yep, from Wikipedia entry about the Chicago School of Architecture:
The "Chicago window" originated in this school. It is a three-part window consisting of a large fixed center panel flanked by two smaller double-hung sash windows. The arrangement of windows on the facade typically creates a grid pattern, with some projecting out from the facade forming bay windows. The Chicago window combined the functions of light-gathering and natural ventilation; a single central pane was usually fixed, while the two surrounding panes were operable. These windows were often deployed in bays, known as oriel windows, that projected out over the street.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_s ... hitecture)

It's a great idea that started with skyscrapers which, as you probably know, were invented here in Chicago, and was then also used in houses.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

It's a great idea that started with skyscrapers which, as you probably know, were invented here in Chicago, and was then also used in houses.
:themoreyouknow:
Chicago Style Bungalows, a 5/7 little brick home style that exploded in Chicago in the 1920's, (essentially during a building boom post WWI when the doughboys came home from Europe to start families, very similar to what happened in the 1950's after WWII on a bigger scale) usually came with a row of 4 double hung windows in the living room, all set into one large opening. It was a common :haus: mod to replace these 4 with a Chicago Window setup, which came all as 1 unit and just plugged into the same size opening. The bungalow I lived in for 11 years had this setup, mang.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:12 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:49 pm
I can't even find this thing for cheaper anywhere else. The black slate color costs a premium. :|

Free installation and delivery is pretty epic. I HATE installing dishwashers.
I don't blame you - but I also don't like stuff being done :wrong: - I did mine myself.

I'd suggest removing the old one first and cleaning under/behind it before they install the new one. I found some... gems... under mine. :gag:
Mud behind the tailights by another name.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

I think I've always had plenty of length in the electrical and h20 connections to hook it all up then slide it in. A critical difference.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

So, you wouldn't bother, Herr Breh, as a "while it's out" kind of thing?

:notsure:
I certainly would. And have you looked behind your stove or fridge lately? Also :gag: -inducing. I :yikes: at pulling out our 400 lb stove but our fridge is on wheels and I do pull it out occasionally to clean behind it. It's mostly heavy dust at this point, but :disgust: just the same.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

So, you wouldn't bother, Herr Breh, as a "while it's out" kind of thing?

:notsure:
Fuck yeah I would, same with stoves, dryers, etc. etc. I have ALL of your issues bro, I'm casting stones in my glass house.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:14 pm
I think I've always had plenty of length in the electrical and h20 connections to hook it all up then slide it in. A critical difference.
I bought a common installation kit for the last one, and the water and drain lines weren't long enough to snake through the cabinet (holes were drilled at the back), connect to the pipes, and extend out long enough to be installed with the dishwasher all the way out. The lines would need to be 8 feet or so.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:20 am

The "Chicago window" originated in this school. It is a three-part window consisting of a large fixed center panel flanked by two smaller double-hung sash windows. The arrangement of windows on the facade typically creates a grid pattern, with some projecting out from the facade forming bay windows. The Chicago window combined the functions of light-gathering and natural ventilation; a single central pane was usually fixed, while the two surrounding panes were operable. These windows were often deployed in bays, known as oriel windows, that projected out over the street.

Wow, awesome!

The architecture style that our house is based off of also originated in Chicago. I wonder if the architect was from Chicago?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_School
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Wow, awesome!

The architecture style that our house is based off of also originated in Chicago. I wonder if the architect was from Chicago?

The Prairie School's most famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, lived in Oak Park, a near west Chicago Suburb. You can tour his house, studio, and several other homes he designed. they're :amaze:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

wap wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm
Wow, awesome!

The Prairie School's most famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright, lived in Oak Park, a near west Chicago Suburb. You can tour his house, studio, and several other homes he designed. they're :amaze:
Lot of his houses in GR and Michigan in general
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:23 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm

:dat:

Especially in GR :doe: That huge historic district near downtown has a bunch of them.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:32 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:23 pm

:dat:

Especially in GR :doe: That huge historic district near downtown has a bunch of them.
Yea the dude was pretty prolific. There's an awesome one in Springfield, IL that you can tour. Not tom mention, he designed the Guggenheim in NYC.

HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

I see stuff like this for sale in Chicago and sometimes wonder why I bother trying to live in Seattle. I want to buy but it's all so expensive here.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

HerrBerlin wrote:I see stuff like this for sale in Chicago and sometimes wonder why I bother trying to live in Seattle. I want to buy but it's all so expensive here.
How does it work to "own" an apartment? Does someone else not actually own the building and land? Who is responsible for maintenance and repairs?
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 pm
HerrBerlin wrote:I see stuff like this for sale in Chicago and sometimes wonder why I bother trying to live in Seattle. I want to buy but it's all so expensive here.
How does it work to "own" an apartment? Does someone else not actually own the building and land? Who is responsible for maintenance and repairs?
Depends on the condo building you're in. Generally speaking, you only truly "own" the unit and are responsible for maintenance and repairs for things within the actual unit. You also pay an HOA for the community to maintain/repair/upgrade the building's exterior and common areas.
troyguitar

HerrBerlin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 pm How does it work to "own" an apartment? Does someone else not actually own the building and land? Who is responsible for maintenance and repairs?
Depends on the condo building you're in. Generally speaking, you only truly "own" the unit and are responsible for maintenance and repairs for things within the actual unit. You also pay an HOA for the community to maintain/repair/upgrade the building's exterior and common areas.
Sounds like an expensive PITA. Do you have to pay taxes on it too or is that the responsibility of the building owner?
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:31 pm
HerrBerlin wrote:
Sounds like an expensive PITA. Do you have to pay taxes on it too or is that the responsibility of the building owner?
It's different for every building - some HOAs include property taxes, others don't. At the end of the day they're cheaper than houses and you have less to maintain. Certainly not for everyone though.
troyguitar

HerrBerlin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:31 pm Sounds like an expensive PITA. Do you have to pay taxes on it too or is that the responsibility of the building owner?
It's different for every building - some HOAs include property taxes, others don't. At the end of the day they're cheaper than houses and you have less to maintain. Certainly not for everyone though.
I'm wondering how it compares to renting though - if you have to pay higher insurance rates and high city property taxes and high HOA fees on top of the mortgage, do you not end up paying a lot more than you would by renting (and investing that down payment money in trukcoin)?

Normally you buy so that you can control your own destiny, but that's not true in an apartment even if you "own" it.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm
HerrBerlin wrote:
I'm wondering how it compares to renting though - if you have to pay higher insurance rates and high city property taxes and high HOA fees on top of the mortgage, do you not end up paying a lot more than you would by renting (and investing that down payment money in trukcoin)?

Normally you buy so that you can control your own destiny, but that's not true in an apartment even if you "own" it.
In my scenario renting vs buying a condo in Seattle would pretty much always come out as the cheaper thing to do. Decent one bedroom condos in neighborhoods I would want to live in start at around ~$450k. With 20% down, your have a mortgage of what, ~$1900? Before taxes, insurance, and HOA fees. I currently rent a small one bedroom condo (worth about that $450k figure) in my ideal Seattle neighborhood and pay $1750 a month all in.

The thing we're not factoring in is appreciation though. These condos have basically doubled in value over the past 4 - 5 years. If the market in Seattle continues to climb like it has been doing (who knows if it will), buying is without a doubt the better thing to do.