House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm I feel like I'd rather just live somewhere without winter so there's no need to wash cars indoors. A sandblasting cabinet, parts-washer, and paint booth could all be useful :doe: along with the welding gear, machining tools, surface plate, and scales. :fullretard:
I love my blasting cabinet and makeshift paint booth (exhaust fan + thick plastic sheeting around one of my work benches). I just want to wash indoors so I can wash at 9am, noon, or 3pm and not wait for the sun to start setting.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:39 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 pm You could always OSB it then drywall over it later. That's what the wall between my garage and house is setup as and it makes it nice when you want to hang stuff that doesn't need the weight support of a stud, but wouldn't work with just drywall anchors.
I thought about this too. OSB is very appealing for the ease of hanging things. I suppose I could get it up and do drywall on top if I don't like the raw OSB.
Dude. You just built a 70K garage. Drywall or GTFO. I mean FINISH fer chrissakes. If you need versatile hanging stuff put in some Gladiator Gear wall panels. This should be space that is bespoke, that sends a clarion call for 15 year old scotch. OSB is poverty.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 am I always kind of wished I could wash my cars in a garage, would consider a wash station on one side or something if my garage was big enough. Straight up tiles or plastic panels on two walls... just another :wrong: idea
Oh, I love the idea...I just won't run water to the garage because that's a PITA to maintain.
Managing the logistics of the water described in other posts seem :fullretard: , not sure if I'm more upset with the politicians who mandate storage tanks and hazmat disposal services or the :derps: that pour hazardous material down the drain. Jeez.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:39 am
I thought about this too. OSB is very appealing for the ease of hanging things. I suppose I could get it up and do drywall on top if I don't like the raw OSB.
Dude. You just built a 70K garage. Drywall or GTFO. I mean FINISH fer chrissakes. If you need versatile hanging stuff put in some Gladiator Gear wall panels. This should be space that is bespoke, that sends a clarion call for 15 year old scotch. OSB is poverty.
I hear ya...

FWIW, I wouldn't just slap up OSB and call it a day. I'd probably stain/varnish it or something. I've seen "finished" OSB have a really cool industrial look...not poverty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm I feel like I'd rather just live somewhere without winter so there's no need to wash cars indoors. A sandblasting cabinet, parts-washer, and paint booth could all be useful :doe: along with the welding gear, machining tools, surface plate, and scales. :fullretard:
I love my blasting cabinet and makeshift paint booth (exhaust fan + thick plastic sheeting around one of my work benches). I just want to wash indoors so I can wash at 9am, noon, or 3pm and not wait for the sun to start setting.
Yeah I'm pretty :aintcare: about water spots or whatever, no need for my stuff to be zilspec. If it hasn't rained I basically never wash stuff anyway, so in CA I'd be looking at an actual wash a few times a year and some QD spray once a month or so. :wrong:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:49 pm Dude. You just built a 70K garage. Drywall or GTFO. I mean FINISH fer chrissakes. If you need versatile hanging stuff put in some Gladiator Gear wall panels. This should be space that is bespoke, that sends a clarion call for 15 year old scotch. OSB is poverty.
I hear ya...

FWIW, I wouldn't just slap up OSB and call it a day. I'd probably stain/varnish it or something. I've seen "finished" OSB have a really cool industrial look...not poverty.
Use gloss or at least semi-gloss paint in white or a super light color if you want to be able to see wtf you are working on on there. Works fine on OSB AFAIK, would look 99% the same as drywall.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: I hear ya...

Use gloss or at least semi-gloss paint in white or a super light color if you want to be able to see wtf you are working on on there. Works fine on OSB AFAIK, would look 99% the same as drywall.
Yea...painted OSB would look close, but you'll still see the strands. I don't want it to look poverty in there. I've got some scrap OSB and semi gloss white in the basement, maybe I'll try painting it to see what it looks like.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Already as far south as my country goes lol. 5/7 would keep going to catch better weather.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit on a DFD sabbatical? This thread needs updates.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:14 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:31 am Detroit on a DFD sabbatical? This thread needs updates.
...did I miss something?
:iono:

Hasn't posted anything in a minute.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:55 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:30 am

:iono:

Hasn't posted anything in a minute.
Did he get sacked from FCA for his skunkwerks crew?
let's just hope the hellcat gladiator didn't kill him
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:32 pm Image
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Need to take some pictures of the garage...it's pretty much done, just waiting for the weather to warm up to get the outside painted.

Over Christmas, I insulated the walls and hung 7/16 OSB on the walls. I primed and painted with mistint gray paint and it turned out fantastic. I also got my New Age Bold cabinets installed and the amount of storage is fantastic. Really pleased.

The city reassessed my prop taxes as a result of the garage and increased our house value by $70k. We're now valued way higher than other houses on our street with the same specs (some with even bigger garages than mine), so now I get to waste time appealing the tax increase. I'm really hoping for some relief here...but I'm not optimistic after talking to the appraiser. "Your old garage was falling down and detracted value". "Show me where garage condition impacts house market value please". "It just does".

:rolleyes:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm Need to take some pictures of the garage...it's pretty much done, just waiting for the weather to warm up to get the outside painted.

Over Christmas, I insulated the walls and hung 7/16 OSB on the walls. I primed and painted with mistint gray paint and it turned out fantastic. I also got my New Age Bold cabinets installed and the amount of storage is fantastic. Really pleased.

The city reassessed my prop taxes as a result of the garage and increased our house value by $70k. We're now valued way higher than other houses on our street with the same specs (some with even bigger garages than mine), so now I get to waste time appealing the tax increase. I'm really hoping for some relief here...but I'm not optimistic after talking to the appraiser. "Your old garage was falling down and detracted value". "Show me where garage condition impacts house market value please". "It just does".

glad to have you back... sorry about that. fucking government
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:29 pm Need to take some pictures of the garage...it's pretty much done, just waiting for the weather to warm up to get the outside painted.

"It just does."

:yeahok:

How the fuck did they even know that your old garage was essentially a lean-to anyway?

Someone's keeping a watchful eye on you.

Also, I'd love to somehow rehab my garage on the DL. Keep the front wall standing. Sundays and after hours only. :lol:
Listing photos? Inspection when we bought it? Who knows. I'm fighting it with data tho.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:32 pm

"It just does."

:yeahok:

How the fuck did they even know that your old garage was essentially a lean-to anyway?

Someone's keeping a watchful eye on you.

Also, I'd love to somehow rehab my garage on the DL. Keep the front wall standing. Sundays and after hours only. :lol:
Listing photos? Inspection when we bought it? Who knows. I'm fighting it with data tho.
The big thing here, in my opinion, is that if it's not livable square footage then they have no basis to increase your assessment. unless they can prove similar properties with upgraded garages consistently sell for more. The simple fact of the matter is garage is not considered living space, and they have a pretty thin case if you challenge it unless it can be considered living space.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm
The big thing here, in my opinion, is that if it's not livable square footage then they have no basis to increase your assessment. unless they can prove similar properties with upgraded garages consistently sell for more. The simple fact of the matter is garage is not considered living space, and they have a pretty thin case if you challenge it unless it can be considered living space.
That's exactly it.

I downloaded ALL of the property assessments in my neighborhood and filtered by houses with the same sq footage, lot size, and garage size. All are well below ours. We took a walk last weekend and photographed the garages at the houses...and most are as big if not bigger than ours (built before there were size restrictions) and in excellent shape. I'll put all that together and hand deliver it to the assessor. They review assessment appeals every March, so the timing is right.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:23 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm

That's exactly it.

I downloaded ALL of the property assessments in my neighborhood and filtered by houses with the same sq footage, lot size, and garage size. All are well below ours. We took a walk last weekend and photographed the garages at the houses...and most are as big if not bigger than ours (built before there were size restrictions) and in excellent shape. I'll put all that together and hand deliver it to the assessor. They review assessment appeals every March, so the timing is right.
awesome, sounds like you are on top of it and have a great case. good luck!
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Finally got the garage mostly organized and sorted yesterday...

Apex
Drives: Abominable

It’s so big!

:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:24 am It’s so big!

That's what she said. :hubba:

I love it, there's so much space for activities! Even the wife has come around to appreciating it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:37 am
Apex wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:24 am It’s so big!

I love it, there's so much space for activities! Even the wife has come around to appreciating it.
:mahman:

Are you going to insulate and finish off the walls?
ChrisoftheNorth

Quick shot of the outside, painting was finished on Friday...

ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:55 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:37 am

:mahman:

Are you going to insulate and finish off the walls?
Yea, eventually. I insulated and put up 7/16 OSB in the workshop area, I've got a plan to finish the rest, it's just going to take some time. I'd work on it now, but the .gov has banned the sale of "non-essential" items and my buddy that works at home Depot claims building materials like that aren't on the "essential" list.