OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

What happened, Pecs?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Or perhaps it will get better.

My job was really sucking for a bit but has been better again lately :iono:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:07 pm
Apex wrote:
I used to love this job... one group has completely ruined it for me now.

I’ll update my resume and start looking. Former exec is at a different Bank in north jersey, and I know he’s looking for people. I should hit him up.
Damn dude :sad:

It always seemed like you were really happy with your job, moving up, all of the good things.

Hopefully the exec at the other bank can get you a nice upgrade.
I always loved this job and had high hopes for my future.

Then people started going behind my back to try to get things done that they need me for. All while I do the jobs of 8 other people. Not to mention I wanted to talk to some people to get proper approvals before throwing paperwork at people. Clearly that was the wrong idea to certain people.
Apex

wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 pm What happened, Pecs?
A certain group wants me to give up time with my family to keep working. Since they work “24/7” they think I should to.
Apex

I will say, my boss is legit 5/7. She’s actually suggested a couple things that I make sure are in my resume lately. Due to projects and stuff that I’ve worked on.
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:16 pm
A certain group wants me to give up time with my family to keep working. Since they work “24/7” they think I should to.
:nope:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hi. Still sick. Feeling way better doe.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

This is rampant where I work too. It was fine when I was right out of college. I’m over it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 pm

This is rampant where I work too. It was fine when I was right out of college. I’m over it.
It should be a :nope:

If someone wants to work 24/7, that's on them. It shouldn't be the expectation for others.

My argument has always been that if you have to work that much, you're doing it wrong. Nobody has THAT much work to do. Some weeks I'll put in 60 hours, others 40. I keep my work phone handy through the evening until about 9pm to answer after hours e-mails, but if it's more work than a 2 minute response, I'll usually respond with "I'll get this done first thing in the AM". Boss is just happy that I'm reachable should things go :nuke: Sometimes quick acknowledgement is all people want. :bs: but it's the game.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am

If someone wants to work 24/7, that's on them. It shouldn't be the expectation for others.

My argument has always been that if you have to work that much, you're doing it wrong. Nobody has THAT much work to do. Some weeks I'll put in 60 hours, others 40. I keep my work phone handy through the evening until about 9pm to answer after hours e-mails, but if it's more work than a 2 minute response, I'll usually respond with "I'll get this done first thing in the AM". Boss is just happy that I'm reachable should things go :nuke: Sometimes quick acknowledgement is all people want. :bs: but it's the game.
The thing with my sitch is that this group wants things done after hours; that can't actually be done after hours. The Fed only processes wires and ACHs until a certain time, after that it's going next day no matter what you do.

Oh, and forgive me if I want to have an actual conversation about something that we have NEVER done before so we get proper approvals and such before implementing. Nah, in their mind it should just be done no questions asked.

:angrypanda:

People that could NEED to get in touch with me at any time all have my personal number, so I'm not unreachable. And I'm checking my work phone until something like 8 or 9pm to see if any emails require my attention.

Continuing this shit on 3 hours of sleep is going to be fun. Let's see if I get fired today or not...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am

The thing with my sitch is that this group wants things done after hours; that can't actually be done after hours. The Fed only processes wires and ACHs until a certain time, after that it's going next day no matter what you do.

Oh, and forgive me if I want to have an actual conversation about something that we have NEVER done before so we get proper approvals and such before implementing. Nah, in their mind it should just be done no questions asked.

People that could NEED to get in touch with me at any time all have my personal number, so I'm not unreachable. And I'm checking my work phone until something like 8 or 9pm to see if any emails require my attention.

Continuing this shit on 3 hours of sleep is going to be fun. Let's see if I get fired today or not...
:nope: Why the urgency? Makes zero sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Where I work is a 24/7 operation, so I get it. Some people are of the mentality that you spend 12 hours at work every day and that's just what the job is. Not uncommon for me to get emails and meeting notifications at 6-7PM from my boss. I set up the do not disturb feature on the phone because of this, after 5PM my phone goes quiet to outlook and such.

Right out of college the longerish hours were fine. Typically 630AM to 4PM, sometimes later. Now I just don't fucking care. People are WAY too attached to this place. Plenty of old heads here that live and breathe this place because they hate their families or who knows what. Blind dedication. I don't want to be like that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 am

Where I work is a 24/7 operation, so I get it. Some people are of the mentality that you spend 12 hours at work every day and that's just what the job is. Not uncommon for me to get emails and meeting notifications at 6-7PM from my boss. I set up the do not disturb feature on the phone because of this, after 5PM my phone goes quiet to outlook and such.

Right out of college the longerish hours were fine. Typically 630AM to 4PM, sometimes later. Now I just don't fucking care. People are WAY too attached to this place. Plenty of old heads here that live and breathe this place because they hate their families or who knows what. Blind dedication. I don't want to be like that.
All dat
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am

:nope: Why the urgency? Makes zero sense.
No one knows why.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Yea. being at work =/= working. even when im "really busy" i might be productive 70% of my time at work. I could get tons more done than i do. Im not sure if i just work fast (efficient) or others are lazy BUT:

Put that attitude in an environment where the culture is always "produce the most possible" you will be labeled as lazy for pulling 40's EVEN IF you still get more done and better quality work done than you equals.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

MAKE A CHANGE, fucking hell.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 am

All dat

:thisisfine:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:pussy:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 am

MAKE A CHANGE, fucking hell.
Been looking
wap

:hai:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

My work phone is my only phone so unless I turn off email notifications I'm pretty much always reachable. I only turn them off on vacation and stuff. If it's something very urgent, I'll address it, but generally night/weekend things just get ignored until I decide to deal with it and no one seems to complain. My load varies and some weeks are 60+, others are under 40. It kind of levels out. It's :notbad: overall and I've never received any complaints. My job isn't traditional though, often times my emailing and such happens in the evenings as I'm with customers/driving during the day. Other times I'm just on the road without a demo booked so during the day I'll go to the gym, check out the city, whatever and get the work stuff done at night. I don't see why it matters as long as it's done on time and I enjoy the flexibility. I also put in a lot of hours Tuesday-Thursday so I can get home Friday in the early afternoon and just go ahead and call it quits/not take a flight out until noonish on Mondays and do things like haircuts, errands, whatever I need to do at home.
wap

I don't even have a company phone so I'm fairly well insulated from work shit on my personal time. Previous Alpha-Prick boss was pressuring me to get a work phone but I resisted and delayed until I got my new job and current Bossbro hasn't mentioned it once so I'm keeping my yap shut. It's worth it to me to pay for my own phone and keep my personal time my own. I usually do check my work emails once in the evenings around 7:00-ish and once/day on weekends, but 4.75/7 times I don't bother responding to anything until I get into work the next day/Monday morning.

Wasn't it Germany that recently passed a law that said it was illegal for people to be contacted on their work phones after a certain time in the early evening? Good for them.
wap

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 am I don't even have a company phone so I'm fairly well insulated from work shit on my personal time. Previous Alpha-Prick boss was pressuring me to get a work phone but I resisted and delayed until I got my new job and current Bossbro hasn't mentioned it once so I'm keeping my yap shut. It's worth it to me to pay for my own phone and keep my personal time my own. I usually do check my work emails once in the evenings around 7:00-ish and once/day on weekends, but 4.75/7 times I don't bother responding to anything until I get into work the next day/Monday morning.

Wasn't it Germany that recently passed a law that said it was illegal for people to be contacted on their work phones after a certain time in the early evening? Good for them.
Actually, it was Germany and France has done it now, too. (Last year, actually)

http://fortune.com/2017/01/01/french-ri ... nnect-law/
A new French law establishing workers’ “right to disconnect” goes into effect today. The law requires companies with more than 50 employees to establish hours when staff should not send or answer emails. The goals of the law include making sure employees are fairly paid for work, and preventing burnout by protecting private time.

French legislator Benoit Hamon, speaking to the BBC, described the law as an answer to the travails of employees who “leave the office, but they do not leave their work. They remain attached by a kind of electronic leash—like a dog.”
:impressive:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

More reasons for me to want to move to France. :thanksobama:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 am More reasons for me to want to move to France. :thanksobama:
:dat:
Indeed.