Time Management Advice

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 am

So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Calvinball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10270
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 pm
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am

razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Also accept that it will never end :lolol:


Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am

Calvinball wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am
razr390 wrote:So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Also accept that it will never end :lolol:


Sent from the Beer Depository
Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:

User avatar
Calvinball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10270
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 pm
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am

razr390 wrote:
Calvinball wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am


Make a list of all the outside work chores/tasks you have and prioritize. Some will be things that you could pick away at; 15 minutes a day rather than the whole thing all at once taking hours. You’ll still feel like you accomplished something without it taking all your free time in one day.

Also accept that it will never end :lolol:


Sent from the Beer Depository
Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:
Well, that’s when you accept that most of the time, you will not have time to yourself haha.


Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:

User avatar
Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 18052
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm
Drives: TrukYeah!
Location: NJ

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 am

Calvinball wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am
razr390 wrote:
Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:
Well, that’s when you accept that most of the time, you will not have time to yourself haha.


Sent from the Beer Depository
:dat:

When the kid is sleeping, then you have time to yourself.

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 15949
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 18 Canyonado / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am

Are you sharing the choreload?

I get overwhelmed when I start to feel like I'm doing everything around the house. Which I kinda do.
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazduh Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2018 Canyonado Z71 | 2009 MX-Velveeta
Detroit wrote:I love gravy.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am

Zillon wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am
Are you sharing the choreload?

I get overwhelmed when I start to feel like I'm doing everything around the house. Which I kinda do.
She burned her foot and is slowly recuperating. I have been doing most stuff lately, and in general, which is something that has been addressed and will hopefully improve.

I think I will just do little by little, in terms of what I want to do versus what I need to do. If I want to read a book, I’ll start and limit myself for 30-60 minutes a day, so I don’t get too invested and forget to do everything else. Same with gym, video games, etc.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am

I think I just need to get my mind de-stressed. That definitely doesn’t help either, since I tend to have YUGE expectations of myself for no reason.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23769
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:59 am
So, it’s been about 6 months since I moved out of my house and relocated to the DC Metro area with my girlfriend.

Aside from the usual getting used to living on my own, and getting used to living with another person, who also happens to be my long term girlfriend (this is a learn every day situation), I have some other challenges that I’ve noticed.

I feel overwhelmed, pretty much. Not with life or what’s going on in it, but rather, just with proper time management in regard to daily routines. I work a 37.5 hour work week, but in Corporate Security it becomes close to 40-45 every week.

That aside, I always feel like I have so many things I could do, but so little time to do these things. I end up thinking about what thing I want to do first, and end up wasting more time in the process.

Have any of you been through this before? Last weekend was a pretty sweet departure from that because my girlfriend and I (after a decent fight) decided to visit the Udvar Hazy Air & Space museum, and on Sunday I went to Clifton to drive and chill with TK.

What I really want to know is how can I somehow slow down time and enjoy the moment? Some times I feel like my mind races in every which way.
Welcome to adult life and being a slave to the corporate world. Reality is, you can't do anything about your work hours so that's set. You have a few hours a day to accomplish things. Some of which is taken by food prep and eating, some of which is taken by chores. Set aside a day or two after work that you have time to do things you actually want to do, and then plan ahead for those.

I want to ride my bike every day. I can't. But GF and I have worked out that I at least get to ride on Tuesday nights, she takes care of the dog (accepts the chore load) and I get to do my thing with the boys. On the weekends I'm usually limited to day excursions because I'm blocked by dog feeding and poop schedules. But it is what it is. If there's something we want to do we talk about it and make arrangements in advance to make it happen.

Also realize you simply can't do everything. You can't have 20 hobbies and expect to actually get good at any of them. :iono:

User avatar
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23769
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am
Zillon wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am
Are you sharing the choreload?

I get overwhelmed when I start to feel like I'm doing everything around the house. Which I kinda do.
She burned her foot and is slowly recuperating. I have been doing most stuff lately, and in general, which is something that has been addressed and will hopefully improve.

I think I will just do little by little, in terms of what I want to do versus what I need to do. If I want to read a book, I’ll start and limit myself for 30-60 minutes a day, so I don’t get too invested and forget to do everything else. Same with gym, video games, etc.
She should be able to refill soap dispensers with a a busted foot :iono:

User avatar
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 15137
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 pm
Drives: Murica!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am
I think I just need to get my mind de-stressed. That definitely doesn’t help either, since I tend to have YUGE expectations of myself for no reason.
:dat:

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

User avatar
Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 22096
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am

Bender wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am
razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am
I think I just need to get my mind de-stressed. That definitely doesn’t help either, since I tend to have YUGE expectations of myself for no reason.
:dat:

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

:tits: and I also have open dialogue in advance about what needs to be done. Like on Sunday night over dinner, we plot out the week after work.

Monday: :tits: works from home and gets the laundry done. When I get home, I do the dishes after dinner and clean the kitchen. Then we work a bit outside on the yard
Tuesday: Our personal days. :tits: is in a ceramics class, I'm going to tinker on the cars. Will also make sure the dishes are clean, and we put away laundry from Monday together when she gets home
Wednesday: Costco and grocery store. When we get home, need to organize camping gear for upcoming trip

etc, etc, etc.

We've found that to be very effective. It ensures that we're both contributing equally AND both doing what we want.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am
razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 am


She burned her foot and is slowly recuperating. I have been doing most stuff lately, and in general, which is something that has been addressed and will hopefully improve.

I think I will just do little by little, in terms of what I want to do versus what I need to do. If I want to read a book, I’ll start and limit myself for 30-60 minutes a day, so I don’t get too invested and forget to do everything else. Same with gym, video games, etc.
She should be able to refill soap dispensers with a a busted foot :iono:
Or change the toilet paper roll...
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Zillon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 15949
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:11 pm
Drives: 18 Canyonado / 09 Meata
Location: Dirty JerZ

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am


She should be able to refill soap dispensers with a a busted foot :iono:
Or change the toilet paper roll...
:triggered:
Zildor the Magnificent
Mazduh Dillerman Extraordinaire
Garage: 2018 Canyonado Z71 | 2009 MX-Velveeta
Detroit wrote:I love gravy.

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 am

Detroit wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am
Bender wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am


:dat:

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

:tits: and I also have open dialogue in advance about what needs to be done. Like on Sunday night over dinner, we plot out the week after work.

Monday: :tits: works from home and gets the laundry done. When I get home, I do the dishes after dinner and clean the kitchen. Then we work a bit outside on the yard
Tuesday: Our personal days. :tits: is in a ceramics class, I'm going to tinker on the cars. Will also make sure the dishes are clean, and we put away laundry from Monday together when she gets home
Wednesday: Costco and grocery store. When we get home, need to organize camping gear for upcoming trip

etc, etc, etc.

We've found that to be very effective. It ensures that we're both contributing equally AND both doing what we want.
That sounds like a great plan.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 15137
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 pm
Drives: Murica!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am

Detroit wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am
Bender wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am


:dat:

1) see what is actually on your list
2) see what is needed now (washing dishes for example), what is needed sometime in the future, what you want to do for yourself, what you need to do for yourself, etc.
3) cut cut cut I can tell you take more on than you need to AND more than is useful.

It's better to do a little bit well than a lot of shit poorly.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

:tits: and I also have open dialogue in advance about what needs to be done. Like on Sunday night over dinner, we plot out the week after work.

Monday: :tits: works from home and gets the laundry done. When I get home, I do the dishes after dinner and clean the kitchen. Then we work a bit outside on the yard
Tuesday: Our personal days. :tits: is in a ceramics class, I'm going to tinker on the cars. Will also make sure the dishes are clean, and we put away laundry from Monday together when she gets home
Wednesday: Costco and grocery store. When we get home, need to organize camping gear for upcoming trip

etc, etc, etc.

We've found that to be very effective. It ensures that we're both contributing equally AND both doing what we want.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

User avatar
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23769
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am


She should be able to refill soap dispensers with a a busted foot :iono:
Or change the toilet paper roll...
Or wash her lunch dishes / tupperware :disappoint:

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am
razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am


Or change the toilet paper roll...
Or wash her lunch dishes / tupperware :disappoint:
I hate washing Tupperware. :gag:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23769
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 am

Also, :rudy: , we found that listing chores and splitting them up was helpful. I now do all food shopping. GF does most cooking but I take a day or two a week. I do most dishes and general cleanup. She cleans the bathroom. She takes care of the dog in the AM, I take care of dog in the PM, etc. Clearer responsibilities have de-stressed the relationship and as made it easier to plan things.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 23769
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am


Or wash her lunch dishes / tupperware :disappoint:
I hate washing Tupperware. :gag:
GF usually brings peanut butter and crackers or carrots or celery or whatever as a snack. Cleaning peanut butter from tupperware makes me literally :gag: The smell is horrific.

User avatar
Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 22096
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am


Or wash her lunch dishes / tupperware :disappoint:
I hate washing Tupperware. :gag:
:dat:

But I hate doing laundry more, so we traded that off. I do dishes, she does laundry. It works out.

Communication and compromise is key here folks. And I'm on the douche end of it where I can come across as taking her for granted. I told her to call me out when that happens and to put me to work. Sadly, it does happen from time to time, but instead of getting made, she calls me a dick and tells me to get to work on some chore.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
KYGTIGuy
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2283
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Drives: Mazda6

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

Calvinball wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 am
razr390 wrote:
Sounds like a solid plan. I will start doing that. I just get super freaked out because I wonder to myself how it would be if I actually had kids and their timetables intersecting with mine. Would be :nuke:
Well, that’s when you accept that most of the time, you will not have time to yourself haha.


Sent from the Beer Depository
Time you spend on the toilet triples with the first child

User avatar
KYGTIGuy
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2283
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm
Drives: Mazda6

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am

Detroit wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am
razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am


I hate washing Tupperware. :gag:
:dat:

But I hate doing laundry more, so we traded that off. I do dishes, she does laundry. It works out.

Communication and compromise is key here folks. And I'm on the douche end of it where I can come across as taking her for granted. I told her to call me out when that happens and to put me to work. Sadly, it does happen from time to time, but instead of getting made, she calls me a dick and tells me to get to work on some chore.
Same here I put on my headphones, put on a podcast or YouTube video and do the dishes every night

I also cook dinner for everyone every night. I read to my son for 20 minutes each night and put him down, which is a 45 to 60 minute process. Saturday or Sunday in sneak away during naps to grocery shop.

Wife is laundry and actual house deep cleaning, vacuum, mop...erc

User avatar
razr390
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 12436
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 am

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am

I think I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it so I don’t do anything which is not good. I’d like to self teach myself some code/programming language, maybe Python.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
WAP wrote:Hey, if he's old enough to wear a ball gag he's old enough to fuck himself.

User avatar
Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Posts: 15137
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:40 pm
Drives: Murica!

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:48 am

razr390 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 am
I think I just have too much I want to do and not enough time to do it so I don’t do anything which is not good. I’d like to self teach myself some code/programming language, maybe Python.
I say this very kindly but you're like a squirrel. Everything that interests you gets your attention. For professional development stuff you need to have a strategy and stick to it. I'm not saying coding doesn't fit that, I'm saying you just need that plan.

You can't, and shouldn't, do everything you want to do. And I mean that generally in life.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

Post Reply
  • Information