The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 am Here ya go, fuckers. Get offroad in quarantine.

https://snowrunner-thegame.com/

https://youtu.be/hcFSFjJ2b6o
I’m downloading that tomorrow. :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

If only snowrunner was cross platform. Chef and I used to play mudrunner together occasionally.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:09 am Oh you can do multiplayer too?

Dang, in4 some group offchoadin'
Ignore this one. I'm stupid.
Last edited by Wocka Wocka on Fri May 01, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

:dat:
Downloaded MudRunner from Game Pass last night. It's :notbad:
Apex

It’s got co-op. :notsure: if local or live doe.
Apex

Started SnowRunner yesterday. :notbad: so far. Some parts require three hands to work the steering, throttle, and winch.

Munchkin has fun watching and talking about the trucks.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Apex wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 am

It’s got co-op. :notsure: if local or live doe.
Mudrunner was live so I assume this is too
Apex

I wish UTVs were street legal. They look like they would be so much fun!
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 pm
Apex wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm I wish UTVs were street legal. They look like they would be so much fun!
Would be a sweet way to get to work.
I’d go full suit with some goggles. Would be fun blasting down 287. :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm I wish UTVs were street legal. They look like they would be so much fun!
Really would be. I'd have one if it could be made street legal.

That said, a base 2-door JL with zero options is pretty close in price to a new :fancy: UTV after discounts. Can drive it anywhere, and get nearly as open. Just won't go as fast offroad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 am

That said, a base 2-door JL with zero options is pretty close in price to a new :fancy: UTV after discounts. Can drive it anywhere, and get nearly as open. Just won't go as fast offroad.
I’d probably go JK for something pure-toy for a few bucks less; but same principle.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 am

I’d probably go JK for something pure-toy for a few bucks less; but same principle.
A 2011 JK 2-door would be pretty ideal IMO. Better interior, but still "boat anchor" 3.8, which in a 2-door is plenty adequate. Those are probably some of the best buys out there for this sort of thing.

Biggest issue with 2-doors is how tiring they are to drive distance. My dad's 2-door JL still requires a lot of attention while on the highway, you can't get over the super short wheelbase and :science:

Still a great toy to bomb around town in and take wheeling :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:56 am

A 2011 JK 2-door would be pretty ideal IMO. Better interior, but still "boat anchor" 3.8, which in a 2-door is plenty adequate. Those are probably some of the best buys out there for this sort of thing.

Biggest issue with 2-doors is how tiring they are to drive distance. My dad's 2-door JL still requires a lot of attention while on the highway, you can't get over the super short wheelbase and :science:

:dat: all :dat:
If I’m going long distance I can always load the bish on a trailer and enjoy a casual drive with the :truk:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

:dat: all :dat:
If I’m going long distance I can always load the bish on a trailer and enjoy a casual drive with the :truk:

Would be pushing the limits of the Colorado, but it could handle it ok.
Apex

I should stop watching overlanding videos and YouTube channels... makes me want to throw the tent in the :jeep: and hit the road. Expedition Overland has been my jam for the past week.

Expedition Expo East is in VA next October, but we’re planning on heading down for it. Should be :neat: to check out.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm I should stop watching overlanding videos and YouTube channels... makes me want to throw the tent in the :jeep: and hit the road. Expedition Overland has been my jam for the past week.

Expedition Expo East is in VA next October, but we’re planning on heading down for it. Should be :neat: to check out.
We're talking about me taking a few weeks off and heading to the upper peninsula to get off the grid for a while. Definitely have the itch for adventure.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:31 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm I should stop watching overlanding videos and YouTube channels... makes me want to throw the tent in the :jeep: and hit the road. Expedition Overland has been my jam for the past week.

We're talking about me taking a few weeks off and heading to the upper peninsula to get off the grid for a while. Definitely have the itch for adventure.
:doit:

So many places to visit and sites to see across the country.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:31 pm

The original plan was to head West to Montana, but it looks like a number of national parks are still closed, and it's a pretty serious time commitment to do it right.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:46 pm

The original plan was to head West to Montana, but it looks like a number of national parks are still closed, and it's a pretty serious time commitment to do it right.
It really is. I’ve done a tiny bit of research on getting out west. Tons of stuff I’d love to see but it’s a huge time commitment from the Atlantic Ocean.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 pm
It really is. I’ve done a tiny bit of research on getting out west. Tons of stuff I’d love to see but it’s a huge time commitment from the Atlantic Ocean.
We figure from Detroit, it's a 2 week minimum to see the basics of what we want.

Now is a great time for us to do it, I'd just be super :| if stuff we wanted to see was closed.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 pm

We figure from Detroit, it's a 2 week minimum to see the basics of what we want.

Now is a great time for us to do it, I'd just be super :| if stuff we wanted to see was closed.
Yeah, that’s a big trip just to show up to a bunch of national parks being closed.

I should map out some NC/TN stuff I thinks then in a few years do a big trip west for 3 weeks. Possibly ship a rig out there and back...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 pm

Yeah, that’s a big trip just to show up to a bunch of national parks being closed.

I should map out some NC/TN stuff I thinks then in a few years do a big trip west for 3 weeks. Possibly ship a rig out there and back...
Yea, I'd consider shipping a rig too. There's a whole ton of nothing between us and the Rockies, for you it's even worse.

We were just going to drive as far as possible in a day then find a KOA off the highway to popup the camper for the night. We figured it's ~3 days of driving for us to get to anything worthwhile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Anything specific on the list?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

You can see a lot by flying and renting a car. Vegas has anything you’d want. Or just get a derpy whatever and rent jeeps when you get to places.

My solo trip was 10 days total and I saw Grand Canyon, Sedona, Escalante, Valley of Fire, and Red Rock Canyon. Largely unplanned. If you plan it out you could see a ton.

10 days won’t even get you a round trip to and from one western park if you’re driving.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 pm

You can see a lot by flying and renting a car. Vegas has anything you’d want. Or just get a derpy whatever and rent jeeps when you get to places.

My solo trip was 10 days total and I saw Grand Canyon, Sedona, Escalante, Valley of Fire, and Red Rock Canyon. Largely unplanned. If you plan it out you could see a ton.

10 days won’t even get you a round trip to and from one western park if you’re driving.
My early lookings at a Moab trip were at least a week of driving there and back, it would essentially have to be a 3 week trip if we drove from/to Jersey.
I’m gonna make that happen sometime doe.