The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 pm

You can see a lot by flying and renting a car. Vegas has anything you’d want. Or just get a derpy whatever and rent jeeps when you get to places.

My solo trip was 10 days total and I saw Grand Canyon, Sedona, Escalante, Valley of Fire, and Red Rock Canyon. Largely unplanned. If you plan it out you could see a ton.

10 days won’t even get you a round trip to and from one western park if you’re driving.
My early lookings at a Moab trip were at least a week of driving there and back, it would essentially have to be a 3 week trip if we drove from/to Jersey.
I’m gonna make that happen sometime doe.
When we did our massive family trip when I was in high school, I think it was 3 weeks. Texas to Montana and then back, tons of national parks. Remember some parks are enormous out there and require a lot of time to see them.

Starting off was like 3 hellacious days of non strop car road trip though.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:24 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 pm

My early lookings at a Moab trip were at least a week of driving there and back, it would essentially have to be a 3 week trip if we drove from/to Jersey.
I’m gonna make that happen sometime doe.
When we did our massive family trip when I was in high school, I think it was 3 weeks. Texas to Montana and then back, tons of national parks. Remember some parks are enormous out there and require a lot of time to see them.

Starting off was like 3 hellacious days of non strop car road trip though.
Yeah, I want to do something big like that.

Adventure!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:46 pm
The original plan was to head West to Montana, but it looks like a number of national parks are still closed, and it's a pretty serious time commitment to do it right.
Anything specific on the list?
Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, Glacier.

Neither of us have been to Wyoming or Montana, and want to fix that badly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Same.
Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and Idaho are a region that we've yet to visit and I REALLY want to get up there. Yellowstone has been calling me for a while.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Glacier would be awesome. Never been there.
Yellowstone is a place to see for sure. Pretty wild. Park is enormous, takes forever to get to places inside of it. Need a lot of time to see it all. Super crowded, tons of traffic, and you'll be stopped on the road often due to people looking at bears.
Rushmore was interesting. Badlands themselves were way neater.

Would be an awesome trip. Do it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm I’m still trying to do Maine. :iono:
I need some fresh lobster rolls in Maine in my life.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:42 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 pm I’m still trying to do Maine. :iono:
I need some fresh lobster rolls in Maine in my life.
:drool:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:35 pm

Yellowstone is a place to see for sure. Pretty wild. Park is enormous, takes forever to get to places inside of it. Need a lot of time to see it all. Super crowded, tons of traffic, and you'll be stopped on the road often due to people looking at bears.

We want to. But Yellowstone is apparently closed right now? There's not a lot of complete up to date information on park statuses right now, and I'd be REALLY mad if we made the trip out there for things to just be closed.

We'll probably stick to the upper penninsula, which the wife hasn't seen much of.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:42 am

We want to. But Yellowstone is apparently closed right now? There's not a lot of complete up to date information on park statuses right now, and I'd be REALLY mad if we made the trip out there for things to just be closed.

We'll probably stick to the upper penninsula, which the wife hasn't seen much of.
I don’t think Yellowstone is actually closed. My buddy and his wife went there on their trek back to seattle from grabbing his truck in Texas two weeks ago..
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am

I don’t think Yellowstone is actually closed. My buddy and his wife went there on their trek back to seattle from grabbing his truck in Texas two weeks ago..
See, that's the uncertainty. It provably isn't closed, but we've read things that indicate it is. It's a lot of effort and time to drive out there with quite a bit of risk if parks are closed without notice.

:|
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:57 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am

See, that's the uncertainty. It provably isn't closed, but we've read things that indicate it is. It's a lot of effort and time to drive out there with quite a bit of risk if parks are closed without notice.

I guess things could have changed between them and now, but didn’t look like there were any restrictions when they went. Lots of people in the videos I saw from her.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:57 am

I guess things could have changed between them and now, but didn’t look like there were any restrictions when they went. Lots of people in the videos I saw from her.
This is what concerns me.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 am

Oh, it wasn’t like packed to the gills, I just meant that there were enough people there that it seems like they’re keeping it open.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 am
Oh, it wasn’t like packed to the gills, I just meant that there were enough people there that it seems like they’re keeping it open.
My biggest fear would be driving 3-5 days out there only to be greeted with a temporary closure sign because people can't figure out social distancing on their own.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Relying on the Rona to give you a predictable result is foolish. Even if Yellowstone said "We're Open For the Oranj Stripper"............by the time you got there it could be closed again because some busload of morons who tested hot for the VID shut everything down again. There are plenty of beautiful drives in the West that are not remotely dependent on the latest Rona update and being mad because one of the so called "Crown Jewels" is closed makes no sense at all. I could take a highlighter and maps of the states of Utah and Colorado and give you two weeks of driving you'll never forget without touching a national park.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Relying on the Rona to give you a predictable result is foolish. Even if Yellowstone said "We're Open For the Oranj Stripper"............by the time you got there it could be closed again because some busload of morons who tested hot for the VID shut everything down again. There are plenty of beautiful drives in the West that are not remotely dependent on the latest Rona update and being mad because one of the so called "Crown Jewels" is closed makes no sense at all. I could take a highlighter and maps of the states of Utah and Colorado and give you two weeks of driving you'll never forget without touching a national park.
I've done Utah and Colorado and absolutely love it...indeed unforgettable stuff.

But I've never been north. Dakotas to Montana to Wyoming and Idaho. I'm sure there's stuff outside of national parks that would be fun to visit, but no idea what or where. It's a really vast space.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Do you have the time to travel 2-3 days in each direction etc ? that seems like a multi week excursion through places that may not have working hotels/campsites etc. It is a really unpredictable time for travel at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Do you have the time to travel 2-3 days in each direction etc ? that seems like a multi week excursion through places that may not have working hotels/campsites etc. It is a really unpredictable time for travel at the moment.
We'd take 2 weeks minimum, but yea...there's a lot of uncertainty around what can be seen and where we can stay

Fortunately. KOA campgrounds are privately owned and remain open. Confirmed by my dad who traveled across the country in his bus from Portland to Detroit in May. He said many are right off the highway, so it's easy to treat them like a motel to just park and crash for the night. We'd be dragging our camper along to make it easy to stay somewhere easy we're allowed.

Will still probably just stick a bit closer to home so if we get screwed, driving home isn't that bad.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 pm

We'd take 2 weeks minimum, but yea...there's a lot of uncertainty around what can be seen and where we can stay

Fortunately. KOA campgrounds are privately owned and remain open. Confirmed by my dad who traveled across the country in his bus from Portland to Detroit in May. He said many are right off the highway, so it's easy to treat them like a motel to just park and crash for the night. We'd be dragging our camper along to make it easy to stay somewhere easy we're allowed.

Will still probably just stick a bit closer to home so if we get screwed, driving home isn't that bad.
Yea I hear you. Just sharing that it may be a really difficult time to travel. Over the last 3 months I have been continuously monitoring places around me, and that shit changes weekly. And websites are NOT updated, and no one answers phone calls. :disgust: when it comes to parks etc. They are arbitrarily blocking some things and unblocking others and do it on a whim. It is quite annoying... so I am choosing to "wait it out" for the time being as it creates too much uncertainty around multiple hour/day drives.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Yea I hear you. Just sharing that it may be a really difficult time to travel. Over the last 3 months I have been continuously monitoring places around me, and that shit changes weekly. And websites are NOT updated, and no one answers phone calls. :disgust: when it comes to parks etc. They are arbitrarily blocking some things and unblocking others and do it on a whim. It is quite annoying... so I am choosing to "wait it out" for the time being as it creates too much uncertainty around multiple hour/day drives.
Yep, that's exactly my concern. I'll drive a day from home no problem, worth the risk. But 2-3+? That's a ton of driving if there's nothing to see on the other end.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pm I'd love to do a westward excursion as well. Would need a month to do it right, though.
Depends how far west. I'm thinking Montana/Wyoming could be 2 weeks, but throw CA and the SW in there, and it's a month for sure.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:52 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pm I'd love to do a westward excursion as well. Would need a month to do it right, though.
Depends how far west. I'm thinking Montana/Wyoming could be 2 weeks, but throw CA and the SW in there, and it's a month for sure.
I’m :jelly: you two can get that time off work. We’re stuck slavin
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:52 pm
I’m :jelly: you two can get that time off work. We’re stuck slavin
Wife is unemployed, and I know I could get at least a week off. 2 might be pushing it, but it's been really quiet lately, so who knows. A month wouldn't happen :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat:

There is a ton to see without actually going into the National Parks. The Parks offer easy access to unique things (think Old Faithful, Zion Narrows) but there is tons of that stuff off the beaten path if you're willing to work a bit harder. Just download the All Trails app and you can find tons of cool shit all over the country in more remote National Forests and State Parks that you can just drive right into with no gate/fees, maybe a "leave $5 in this box for parking".

Also, one of my wife's friends boyfriends lost his job and she quit hers as she wants to not be a teacher anymore, they are out west now and have been in Teton, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, etc all in the past couple of weeks.

Chris, you will hate this, but you can figure out easily if stuff is open by just looking at it on Instagram and seeing if people are posting pics. :millennial:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Also drove 700 miles this past weekend through five states, and it was a total non issue. It was the Southeast though, where most people think the 'VID is :fakenews: