Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 am Yep sticker is doable on a “normal” vehicle don’t let any scumbag dealer tell you otherwise. Also vote with your wallet they can only charge more if you’re willing to pay more.
sticker is essentially the new negotiation lowball price at this point.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:38 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:09 am

Markups on a Hyundai product are downright criminal.
Yup. He told me the dealer said msrp despite every vehicle listed on their site having a $500-1500 “market adjustment”. That’s bold even showing the markup on their website.

That just reminded me of this email I received the other day from the local scumbag VW dealer.

:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:38 am

Yup. He told me the dealer said msrp despite every vehicle listed on their site having a $500-1500 “market adjustment”. That’s bold even showing the markup on their website.

That just reminded me of this email I received the other day from the local scumbag VW dealer.

:disgust:
try $4,000 from a Honda dealer, then the other one only 7 miles away is half of that. I swear no matter what sales breh (or whoever is in charge of absurd markups) will always find a way to take advantage of it cause they know their customers will eat it up, just disgusting.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 am Yep sticker is doable on a “normal” vehicle don’t let any scumbag dealer tell you otherwise. Also vote with your wallet they can only charge more if you’re willing to pay more.
I suppose I should let them know I'm voting with my wallet by physically walking out of a sale.

Otherwise, they'll never know if I'm just quietly sitting at home not buying things.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Checked their website to see if the market adjustment was visible. $59k. :lol:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:45 pm
I suppose I should let them know I'm voting with my wallet by physically walking out of a sale.

Otherwise, they'll never know if I'm just quietly sitting at home not buying things.
If everyone voted with their wallet against markups, dealers wouldn't be able to charge them. Don't necessarily need to sit it out, find a dealer that doesn't charge markups and reward them with your business. I could have had a 4R sooner by paying a markup at a dealer downstate or Chicago, instead I decided to be patient and pay MSRP at my dealer here.

Markups are the opposite of incentives. Incentives exist to drum up demand, they no longer exist because demand > supply. This is where markups are coming from. Equalize the over demand and prices will fall toward MSRP more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:57 pm

If everyone voted with their wallet against markups, dealers wouldn't be able to charge them. Don't necessarily need to sit it out, find a dealer that doesn't charge markups and reward them with your business. I could have had a 4R sooner by paying a markup at a dealer downstate or Chicago, instead I decided to be patient and pay MSRP at my dealer here.

Markups are the opposite of incentives. Incentives exist to drum up demand, they no longer exist because demand > supply. This is where markups are coming from. Equalize the over demand and prices will fall toward MSRP more.
True, I do think the best thing people can do is just stop buying shit :doe: No one is willing to do that.
Huckleberry

I really have no intention of buying anything for a few more years. And even then, paying sticker is still not something I'm willing to do.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:07 am

I really have no intention of buying anything for a few more years. And even then, paying sticker is still not something I'm willing to do.
5/7 plan.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I would honestly welcome a reset to where sticker is just the price and the dog and pony show goes away. It seems like that would make sense, the previous $1-10K off most vehicles will be what goes away with all of the inflation.

Rather than throwing money on the hood as models age and become less desirable, just add more content and/or avoid MSRP creep.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 am I would honestly welcome a reset to where sticker is just the price and the dog and pony show goes away. It seems like that would make sense, the previous $1-10K off most vehicles will be what goes away with all of the inflation.

Rather than throwing money on the hood as models age and become less desirable, just add more content and/or avoid MSRP creep.
Yes. Consumers like price transparency. I would love to see dealers move to a Saturn like model of "this is the price for the car" and then work out the other 3 squares based on your situation.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:52 am I would honestly welcome a reset to where sticker is just the price and the dog and pony show goes away. It seems like that would make sense, the previous $1-10K off most vehicles will be what goes away with all of the inflation.

Product updates weren't enough in normal times. Supply almost always outpaces demand (some OEMs worse than others) and incentives need to flow to move the metal. Especially when there's competing dealers in the same region, dealer discounts are critical. :disgust:

Nothing will change long term until established OEMs change their business model of building to sell to dealers.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 am

Product updates weren't enough in normal times. Supply almost always outpaces demand (some OEMs worse than others) and incentives need to flow to move the metal. Especially when there's competing dealers in the same region, dealer discounts are critical. :disgust:

Nothing will change long term until established OEMs change their business model of building to sell to dealers.
Once the cash burning .com's floor plan expenses start rising due to rising interest rates... it'll force them to :dill: as well as offer far less to those willing to flip their farted in shitbox.

We're seeing a lot of this already. But it's just the beginning.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:40 am

Once the cash burning .com's floor plan expenses start rising due to rising interest rates... it'll force them to :dill: as well as offer far less to those willing to flip their farted in shitbox.

We're seeing a lot of this already. But it's just the beginning.
Yep, which will drive demand back to used when used makes sense again.

The industry is primed for some pretty :impressive: nuke.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notwrong: but it COULD change. I imagine you're correct in that it won't. Almost all other consumer products pretty much cost what they cost in the new market. I wouldn't have a problem with MSRP lowering at a point, just make it an equal playing field. Electronics routinely cost more when new and go down over time as newer, better items come out. Rather than putting $10K on the hood of Chargers that have been largely unchanged for 10 years, why not say, hey, we've made all of out development costs back and now the vehicle is 90% or original MSRP. It's basically the same as incentives, I'd just rather see it from the manufacturer than the stupid trunk slamming :dillerman:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:25 pm

:notwrong: but it COULD change. I imagine you're correct in that it won't. Almost all other consumer products pretty much cost what they cost in the new market. I wouldn't have a problem with MSRP lowering at a point, just make it an equal playing field. Electronics routinely cost more when new and go down over time as newer, better items come out. Rather than putting $10K on the hood of Chargers that have been largely unchanged for 10 years, why not say, hey, we've made all of out development costs back and now the vehicle is 90% or original MSRP. It's basically the same as incentives, I'd just rather see it from the manufacturer than the stupid trunk slamming :dillerman:
Dealer laws pretty much prevent change. It's wild in this country that we have so many laws governing how we can buy vehicles.

Set price is basically illegal in many states. Saturn and Scion pulled it off by incentivizing the dealer to sell at MSRP
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

VW STILL doesn't know how to design a functioning water pump. I got this letter in the mail yesterday. Apparently water pumps are enough of an issue in Mk7 to warrant another class action.

Luckily I haven't had the issue with either R but I guess I'll tell the diller to check it out next time I'm in. My :turboyaris: on the other hand has had enough water pumps to last a lifetime.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph ... mp.402059/
Huckleberry

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:33 am VW STILL doesn't know how to design a functioning water pump. I got this letter in the mail yesterday. Apparently water pumps are enough of an issue in Mk7 to warrant another class action.

Luckily I haven't had the issue with either R but I guess I'll tell the diller to check it out next time I'm in. My :turboyaris: on the other hand has had enough water pumps to last a lifetime.

This just reminded me to check the coolant level on mine.

Only 33k on the car, so if it needs a new pump, I'll just drop it off at the dealer.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Hmmm, haven't gotten that letter yet. Did it mention a specific range of years?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:11 pm Hmmm, haven't gotten that letter yet. Did it mention a specific range of years?
The Yaris that was supposed to deliver the letter to you likely lacked a compass and is somewhere in northern Canada right now trucking along in effort to find the :wap: leafy suburban mansion.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:00 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:11 pm Hmmm, haven't gotten that letter yet. Did it mention a specific range of years?
The Yaris that was supposed to deliver the letter to you likely lacked a compass and is somewhere in northern Canada right now trucking along in effort to find the :wap: leafy suburban mansion.
:lol: Nice work.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:33 am VW STILL doesn't know how to design a functioning water pump. I got this letter in the mail yesterday. Apparently water pumps are enough of an issue in Mk7 to warrant another class action.

This just reminded me to check the coolant level on mine.

Only 33k on the car, so if it needs a new pump, I'll just drop it off at the dealer.
Have you added any coolant since you bought it?

I haven’t really paid attention to it since I thought it’d be fixed in Mk7.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

2015-2021 so all of Mk7 and 7.5. I plugged my vin into the website and it says I’m affected. :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Because they didn't send one to you Ron. You always get the VW's with the Forged Titanium F1 water pumps.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:50 pm
Because they didn't send one to you Ron. You always get the VW's with the Forged Titanium F1 water pumps.
:notwrong:

He hates Toyotas and somehow has a Toyota ownership experience with Volkswagens.