Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea 25 billion pay out literally turned VW to shit... the cars coming out now are compromised because they couldn't spend money to make things nice and instead stretched shit into oblivion... I am semi curious if that "recall" will literally cripple/destroy VW.

They are just so.... eh at the moment.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:23 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 pm

There’s a whole lot of copium in the owner threads about the infotainment being “not that bad” or “you get used to it”. I still really don’t buy it when pretty much every review has said it’s awful. The fact that the climate and volume control isn’t backlit blows my mind. “Oh just use the voice commands”. Has anyone ever used voice commands in their cars? They were always trash.

Stick the drivetrains from the Mk8 into the body of the 7.5 and you’ve got a winner.
One thing I am never doing is reading the 500 page car manual at night and memorizing specific commands to tell my car to turn on a seat heater.

I'm sure you get used to it, or just accept the level of frustration in dealing with it. Most of what you actually touch will be the volume slider, and the rest I'm sure is easy enough to use the touch screen for. Auto HVAC and such means you don't ever need to touch those controls so why clutter things with them. I just know that for me, I'd punch my fist through the screen if I couldn't quickly quiet a loud radio commercial or too-loud phone ringer.
Solution to a problem that didn’t exist. The heated and cooled seats are also through the touch screen.

There’s no way these controls can stick around through the 8.5.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:17 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm

:Bruh:
The Mk8 has the GTI badge in the middle of the hatch, under the handle, instead of on the left side.
And thats basically it. So.... they look nearly identical.
Correct. I was just :trollface: . They're very similar from :datass:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 pm Yea 25 billion pay out literally turned VW to shit... the cars coming out now are compromised because they couldn't spend money to make things nice and instead stretched shit into oblivion... I am semi curious if that "recall" will literally cripple/destroy VW.

Is anyone making anything worth buying in the sport compact category? Maybe Hyundai? Prices have gotten out of control on top of the already poor choices made by VW and Subaru.

Maybe I’m just being :eeyore:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:28 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:26 pm

As mentioned the best and brightest went to the ID programs...
Behold.
Need
There's a thread on the Dead Zone where some bro retrofitted that light bar on the front of his Mk7. Apparently there is a kit available, or you can buy the OEM light, or something. :whocares:
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:23 pm

One thing I am never doing is reading the 500 page car manual at night and memorizing specific commands to tell my car to turn on a seat heater.

I'm sure you get used to it, or just accept the level of frustration in dealing with it. Most of what you actually touch will be the volume slider, and the rest I'm sure is easy enough to use the touch screen for. Auto HVAC and such means you don't ever need to touch those controls so why clutter things with them. I just know that for me, I'd punch my fist through the screen if I couldn't quickly quiet a loud radio commercial or too-loud phone ringer.
Solution to a problem that didn’t exist. The heated and cooled seats are also through the touch screen.

There’s no way these controls can stick around through the 8.5.
My only hope for buying another one.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 pm Yea 25 billion pay out literally turned VW to shit... the cars coming out now are compromised because they couldn't spend money to make things nice and instead stretched shit into oblivion... I am semi curious if that "recall" will literally cripple/destroy VW.

Is anyone making anything worth buying in the sport compact category? Maybe Hyundai? Prices have gotten out of control on top of the already poor choices made by VW and Subaru.

Maybe I’m just being :eeyore:
Yea... Hyundai, Honda, Toyota about to bring out the GR etc... All the companies not laden by a 25billion dollar settlement.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

The title is spot on

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Also the size of those wheels is absolutely :disgust:
wap

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:03 pm Also the size of those wheels is absolutely :disgust:
19's I think? 19 is stupid.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:38 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:03 pm Also the size of those wheels is absolutely :disgust:
Yea but it's also a relatively tiny car... 19" on a 168" long car is just insanity. It should come with 17s.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:49 pm

Kind of, it's a world car though. And the Golf is (or was) VW's #1 selling product. They clearly put a lot of effort into it, they just got the human interface portion completely wrong. The engine, driveline, transmission, suspension, at least on paper and initially are all top of class.

If it had a normal way of interacting with its features, this would be a magazine darling again. But its not.
There’s a whole lot of copium in the owner threads about the infotainment being “not that bad” or “you get used to it”. I still really don’t buy it when pretty much every review has said it’s awful. The fact that the climate and volume control isn’t backlit blows my mind. “Oh just use the voice commands”. Has anyone ever used voice commands in their cars? They were always trash.

Stick the drivetrains from the Mk8 into the body of the 7.5 and you’ve got a winner.
THANK YOU
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:lol:

max225

Wow it's discounted.... that means it'll have 10k on the hood by the end of the year eh ? :disgust:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

VW is too big to fail IMO. They are under a corporate umbrella that needs the brand/price as the entry level. GTI & Co may be soon dead :doe: another topic for another day
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Need
There's a thread on the Dead Zone where some bro retrofitted that light bar on the front of his Mk7. Apparently there is a kit available, or you can buy the OEM light, or something. :whocares:
Legend
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:24 pm

Can you get a light up VW badge yet?
Behold.
So you say, but the thing is all of the systems the GTI is getting raked over the coals for are shared with this piece…

The drivetrain in the GTI is supposedly great.

I even hate using touch screen on my phone, so I guess I’ll stick with my old car :iono:

I am :lolol: at y’all complaining about the looks though, it looks exactly like a car we all bought.
wap

Yeah, the exterior looks don't bother me. There are some aspects that I like a lot.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:02 am

Behold.
So you say, but the thing is all of the systems the GTI is getting raked over the coals for are shared with this piece…

I even hate using touch screen on my phone, so I guess I’ll stick with my old car :iono:

I am :lolol: at y’all complaining about the looks though, it looks exactly like a car we all bought.
Ya 11 fucking years ago for 1/2 of the $ they currently run for. Buying one now is lunacy. It’ll go down in history as a failure … is my prediction

Imagine buying a 2000 looking vw in 2011 and the 2011 had an irritating interior … that’s the compare
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:02 am So you say, but the thing is all of the systems the GTI is getting raked over the coals for are shared with this piece…

Eh, that front sea of gray plastic is pretty overpowering on lighter colors IMO. The one I was looking at was that new yellow and the front just did not look good to me. I saw another one yesterday in black and thought it looked much better. Though that one was lowered and on some Neuspeeds already, that would help any GTI look better. The back looks pinched to me too. They tried to make it look lower and wider without actually changing the dimensions and it doesn't come off well to me.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:12 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:38 pm

Yea but it's also a relatively tiny car... 19" on a 168" long car is just insanity. It should come with 17s.
I think the 18s on mine fit rather well.

But I've never been a fan of anything bigger than 18.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:42 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:12 pm

I loved 17's on my Mk6. The 18" Prets work on the Blue Meanie I think because the chassis has been improved enough to where 18's don't ruin the ride.
max225

wap wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:52 am

I loved 17's on my Mk6. The 18" Prets work on the Blue Meanie I think because the chassis has been improved enough to where 18's don't ruin the ride.
Yea I went from 17s to 18s back to 17s on my tdi and ever looked back even though the 18s looked way better.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:52 am

I split the difference on my GTO and have 17's in the front and 18s in the back.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:33 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:02 am

Ya 11 fucking years ago for 1/2 of the $ they currently run for. Buying one now is lunacy. It’ll go down in history as a failure … is my prediction

Imagine buying a 2000 looking vw in 2011 and the 2011 had an irritating interior … that’s the compare
:notwrong: although exterior-wise, sometimes older is better. Agreed 100% on interior, things shouldn't get 'worse'. But a few cars close to me that older looks better and I'd 100% buy a new one in the old body - E46 (best looking 3 series ever, would definitely take over mine if they didn't have old car problems), C6 'vette looks better than C7 'vette (can't really compare to C8 as it's an all new layout), and to be fair, MK4 Golf looks better than MK6 Golf, but they all are just evolutionary. I think all of the Golfs looking more or less the same is kind of a good thing.

I just find it funny that the interfaces that are really the main :flaccid: of this thing are shared with the EV they've pumped all of their resources into. They are truly fucked with terrible UI/tech in that segment, and that segment is 'the future'.