Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Double post, :fuckyeah:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:54 am Where do you guys get rental cars for reasonable prices? I need one for 48 hours to go from LEX to ELM and am being quoted about $200 after all taxes and fees from all of the big companies. I always hear people talk about getting cars for $30/day, not $100...
you always get fucked using different pickup and drop off.

Try orbitz.

edit, also try not to use actually airports. the airport tax is real.
At least with Enterprise, the cost to use non-airport locations was double. That would have been more convenient but wasn't worth the cash. :iono:

I now have an AWD Edge with paddle shifters. It's huge. Definitely do NOT want to own a vehicle this big or high. With the seat adjusted all the way down I'm still towering over regular CUV's like a :truk:

It's kind of quick but braking is pretty terrible, must be 4000+ lbs with shitty rental tires.
troyguitar

Also, I rented a "Jetta or similar" - in what way is an Edge similar to a Jetta? :fullretard:

I wanted 1.4T mpg's and a quiet highway ride. Not a bunch of wind noise, door rattles, and 22 mpg. :disgust:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am Also, I rented a "Jetta or similar" - in what way is an Edge similar to a Jetta? :fullretard:

I wanted 1.4T mpg's and a quiet highway ride. Not a bunch of wind noise, door rattles, and 22 mpg. :disgust:
Has 4 wheels and manual windows?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am Also, I rented a "Jetta or similar" - in what way is an Edge similar to a Jetta? :fullretard:

People just don't understand.

Last year when we went to Tennessee we reserved a "FULL SIZE SUV - Chevy Suburban / GMC". There were 4 of us and a bunch of suitcases. We landed and got to the car rental (Enterprise, I believe) and they gave us a 4Runner. Supposedly there were no full sized SUVs when I complained. We go to the parking lot and 2 spots away from this 4Runner were 2 Suburbans. I loaded up a black Suburban and drove it to the exit of the garage and told the guy to tell them they can fuck the next guy and give them the 4Runner. He scanned the car and my paperwork and told me to have a nice day with a smile.

:lol:
troyguitar

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:53 am

People just don't understand.

Last year when we went to Tennessee we reserved a "FULL SIZE SUV - Chevy Suburban / GMC". There were 4 of us and a bunch of suitcases. We landed and got to the car rental (Enterprise, I believe) and they gave us a 4Runner. Supposedly there were no full sized SUVs when I complained. We go to the parking lot and 2 spots away from this 4Runner were 2 Suburbans. I loaded up a black Suburban and drove it to the exit of the garage and told the guy to tell them they can fuck the next guy and give them the 4Runner. He scanned the car and my paperwork and told me to have a nice day with a smile.

:lol:
:word:

If I wasn't pressed for time I'd get them to change it but I already had movers at the house waiting for me to get back. This whole move has been a giant PITA compared to moving down to KY. :eeyore:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:14 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm like :excited: and :waiting:
So far FCA delivers way more than other two. Ford is a basket case, and GM has its own issues as well.
eh, they all share in the issue mang.

The raptor has been a wild success for an expensive :truk:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Yep that's the :dill: now... i am sure they cycle it on and off. But it is insane... 15k off or 0%.. like who in their right mind would choose the 72. You'd have to be a complete nut.
Must only be for your area. Around here, it is $8500 or 0% for the the crew cab Big Horn. A regular cab is only $4250 or 0%.
ive noticed cali has some much different pricing structure than most of the southeast/west region.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Surprised no one was :disgust: Ed by the Tesla pics ...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am Surprised no one was :disgust: Ed by the Tesla pics ...
Those were kinda minor.

When I went over to show my detailer the GTS he had three model 3's in for correction and PPF. Brand new cars that looked like they had 10k miles on the paint. He said he hasn't seen one model 3 that looked close to acceptable. A far cry from the quality he was seeing on the Model S 4 years ago.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:20 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am Surprised no one was :disgust: Ed by the Tesla pics ...
Those were kinda minor.

When I went over to show my detailer the GTS he had three model 3's in for correction and PPF. Brand new cars that looked like they had 10k miles on the paint. He said he hasn't seen one model 3 that looked close to acceptable. A far cry from the quality he was seeing on the Model S 4 years ago.
Fubared lights on brand new sub 3 month old vehicles ?
Given who I see driving the model 3s I don’t think paint quality is a concern :lolgasm:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:23 am

Those were kinda minor.

Given who I see driving the model 3s I don’t think paint quality is a concern :lolgasm:
Completely agree. These things are the Toyota Camry of the future. :amir:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Those were kinda minor.

I noticed the pics but just wasn't surprised... :iono:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:57 am

:iono: This is pretty bad... these are brand new cars with actual issues... in the flesh. Several cars... not just 1 in my tiny sample size.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Cars have issues? Even new ones? :mindblown:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:57 am

:iono: This is pretty bad... these are brand new cars with actual issues... in the flesh. Several cars... not just 1 in my tiny sample size.
I don't know how anything else could be suspected. Tesla completely underestimated what it takes to build a car at that scale. The thing was likely rushed to production, and with Tesla making a lot of the parts itself instead of suppliers, there's going to be issues. There's a reason suppliers exist to make things like lights, seats, etc...reinventing the wheel is a stupid waste of resources, and it's going to bite them.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm Cars have issues? Even new ones? :mindblown:
I don't see these issues in other cars on the same lot. The lights on my 3 year old BMW are not fogged up due to moisture penetration.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:21 pm

I don't know how anything else could be suspected. Tesla completely underestimated what it takes to build a car at that scale. The thing was likely rushed to production, and with Tesla making a lot of the parts itself instead of suppliers, there's going to be issues. There's a reason suppliers exist to make things like lights, seats, etc...reinventing the wheel is a stupid waste of resources, and it's going to bite them.
This.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Ugh. Tesla. I sat in a P100D at the local dealer in the mall just for shits and quite literally started to get a headache within 20 seconds. The size of screens, the brightness, it was like sitting in the front row at the movie theater. Fuuuuuuuuck that. :nope: The sound of the door closing also sounded like a 90s GM product. I literally laughed when I heard it close. $100k for one of those is a joke.
max225

It is the pillarless windows...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Really don't care what it is.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:40 pm It is the future...
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:01 am

them one-way fees.

I get 30-ish dollars a day and unlimited miles with work's corp rate, but there's not really a way around the one-way fee

However, when we go to Vegas we always rent from Silver Car. They are a rental company that ended up selling the company to Audi. All they rent are..... Silver Audi's. We get an A4 for about $54 a day+ taxes. Beats the hell out of getting a Nissan Versa shitbox for about the same money.
:notbad:
Do they operate just in Vegas?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:49 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am

However, when we go to Vegas we always rent from Silver Car. They are a rental company that ended up selling the company to Audi. All they rent are..... Silver Audi's. We get an A4 for about $54 a day+ taxes. Beats the hell out of getting a Nissan Versa shitbox for about the same money.
:notbad:
Do they operate just in Vegas?
They have expanded to many areas. www.silvercar.com
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I saw the condensation/water in the tail light lens in the first photo but :notsure: what you were showing in the second. :(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.