Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:04 pm Some bridges are worth burning :iono:
They can be, but that’s not how I roll. I’ve worked for 3 companies in my 21 years of employment. This place got me to the point where I can apparently do the job at Porsche.

My current boss stuck his neck out to get me this job. I don’t want to leave him in the lurch and owe it to him to finish the launch. Either way, he’s going to be pissed off.

I tentatively have arm surgery in late January, pending Covid cases and the results of my next appointment on 1/8. Porsche are fine with it and willing to work around my demanding PT schedule.
I’m debating asking them to give me until 12/30 to finish up as much as I can here.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Any chance you could move? IIRC your wife works for Whole Foods, is she tied to a particular store/location?

I dunno, more money and working around awesome cars all day sounds pretty cool to me, but it's a bit :notsure: after the last experience.
Possible. Just refi’d the house, of course. There’s a Whole Foods 1/4 mile from the Porsche store.

They understand how :notsure: I am about all of this and are genuine. I left on good terms and they said I’d always be welcome back. Owner had told me there’s one person on the shortlist, and they’re not taking no for an answer. I know the place, the product and the culture. Other guy has fucked up, big. Owner has told me he’s not welcome back, apologized for what happened the first time and wants to make it right.

That said, there’s only about 400 people in the country that can do this for a living and I’d be going back to the #3 store in the country just as they open the first standalone gen5 building on the east coast, and second in the US.

It is absolutely a dream job in my industry.

I’m 3 weeks into a total technology overhaul on how We do business at Toyota, which is a 2 month project that I’m in sole control of. Leaving Toyota now blows up the bridge after doing it once already, but I go back to Porsche to retire.

I’m meeting with the owner, GM and service manager next week.
You said it. Time for a commuter car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm I think I mentioned in here, but don’t remember. A few months back my government counterparts told me they’d have some jobs opening up and they’d want me on their team. Yesterday after a meeting we had one of them asked me to hang back and said the jobs are starting to open, so get them my resume. They have direct hire authority, so I don’t need to formally apply or interview. Got a call from his boss this morning asking if I was still interested. Told him yes and sent my resume over. He cc’d me when he sent it to the hiring manager and told him I’d be a great fit for their team. Hiring manager is going to call me tomorrow for an informal chat/“interview”. Will be nice to finally go full blown .gov. Get that pension, nice 401k match, and way more PTO than I get now. Estimated timeline for me starting over there is 2-3 months. Will update along the way as things happen.
A pension ? :ban: :howdareyou:

On a more serious note congrats BREH!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Thanks dude. Had our little informal meeting a bit ago, he asked like three questions and then said “yeah you’re going to be a good fit here, I’ll go ahead and say ‘welcome to the team’”. :fuckyeah: He’s submitting my paperwork to start the process with HR today.

I’ll probably get brought over one level lower than I was expecting, and two levels lower than I was hoping, so I’ll take a sizable pay cut up front, but I’ll be in a slot that’s targeted for a promotion every year until I get to the level I wanted as long as I don’t fuck up while I’m there. Two years to work back up isn’t bad.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm Thanks dude. Had our little informal meeting a bit ago, he asked like three questions and then said “yeah you’re going to be a good fit here, I’ll go ahead and say ‘welcome to the team’”. :fuckyeah: He’s submitting my paperwork to start the process with HR today.

I’ll probably get brought over one level lower than I was expecting, and two levels lower than I was hoping, so I’ll take a sizable pay cut up front, but I’ll be in a slot that’s targeted for a promotion every year until I get to the level I wanted as long as I don’t fuck up while I’m there. Two years to work back up isn’t bad.
Fucking-A! Congrats man on getting on dat gubmint teet.
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:51 pm Thanks dude. Had our little informal meeting a bit ago, he asked like three questions and then said “yeah you’re going to be a good fit here, I’ll go ahead and say ‘welcome to the team’”. :fuckyeah: He’s submitting my paperwork to start the process with HR today.

Awesome! Congrats!
SAWCE

Thanks guys!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Fucking-A! Congrats man on getting on dat gubmint teet.
:fuckyeah:
:dat: suck it!
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Got a promotion today, 200% EOY merit bonus today, and the company got bought last week. Not usually one to brag but fuckkkk. Might have had a few drinks.
wap

rockchops wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 pm Got a promotion today, 200% EOY merit bonus today, and the company got bought last week. Not usually one to brag but fuckkkk. Might have had a few drinks.
:fuckyeah: :drunk:
Congrats dude. That's terrific.
SAWCE

rockchops wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 pm Got a promotion today, 200% EOY merit bonus today, and the company got bought last week. Not usually one to brag but fuckkkk. Might have had a few drinks.
Yeah buddy!!!! Light weight, baby!
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote:
GET IT RONNNIEEEE!!!!!
SAWCE

rockchops wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 pm
SAWCE wrote:
GET IT RONNNIEEEE!!!!!
Ain’t nuthin but a peanut!
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote:
rockchops wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 pm GET IT RONNNIEEEE!!!!!
aesthetics 0/zyzz doe
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Fuck yeah! What is “200% EOY” :doe: ?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

going off topic. I am a risk taker and took one 4 years ago, fuckin jumped off the diving board trusting myself I could figure it out. Figured it out. Could have ended my career etc. Just took another, lets do it.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote:
bone us eligibility
razr390

rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am
razr390 wrote:
bone us eligibility
I mean, I know I am :derp: but can you put it in context? We got a pretty great bonus payout at my company this year. Our scorecard was 5,7,10%. We got 10%

How does 200% EOY compare?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:01 am going off topic. I am a risk taker and took one 4 years ago, fuckin jumped off the diving board trusting myself I could figure it out. Figured it out. Could have ended my career etc. Just took another, lets do it.
Good shit. Usually that’s the true defining moment for anyone. Jump in the deep end, sink or swim. I did not do anything like that myself, but I did get myself into an industry that normally does not hire fresh graduates with no experience and I’ve been learning and kicking ass/taking names. Got promoted twice in 3 years already. While I don’t know as much as others, I offer a unique perspective and it’s appreciated within our team.

Happy you are enjoying the fruits of your labor man.
SAWCE

rockchops wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:54 pm
SAWCE wrote:
aesthetics 0/zyzz doe
I’d still smash :sissyfight:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote:
rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am bone us eligibility
I mean, I know I am :derp: but can you put it in context? We got a pretty great bonus payout at my company this year. Our scorecard was 5,7,10%. We got 10%

I am technically eligible for 10% of my salary as bonus (on paper) but based on performance they gave me about 20% of my salary. Add in about 35%ish for the company being sold too and im getting over half my yearly salary in a single check...starting to sink in.

I get to pay off all my school loans, while increasing my monthly income which should net to a minimum extra 1500 a month of net liquidity (not counting if I pay off the car or whatever, should have plenty left over) which will be nice. My wifes school loans are next, which could now be paid off in about 2 years...mindblown. Between the two of us, we had about 300k in school loans.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:47 pm
razr390 wrote:

I am technically eligible for 10% of my salary as bonus (on paper) but based on performance they gave me about 20% of my salary. Add in about 35%ish for the company being sold too and im getting over half my yearly salary in a single check...starting to sink in.

I get to pay off all my school loans, while increasing my monthly income which should net to a minimum extra 1500 a month of net liquidity (not counting if I pay off the car or whatever, should have plenty left over) which will be nice. My wifes school loans are next, which could now be paid off in about 2 years...mindblown. Between the two of us, we had about 300k in school loans.
Wow, that's a dope payout! Congrats man. What does the company do, if I may ask?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote:
rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:47 pm I am technically eligible for 10% of my salary as bonus (on paper) but based on performance they gave me about 20% of my salary. Add in about 35%ish for the company being sold too and im getting over half my yearly salary in a single check...starting to sink in.

Wow, that's a dope payout! Congrats man. What does the company do, if I may ask?
Thank you! We broadly do digital marketing, which has been a boon in covid of course, most of our clients are ecomm rather than traditional CPG or whatever like the big holding company conglomerates (mad men, think coca cola, campbells soup, etc...not us by a long shot). I personally do data science engineering type stuff, data architecture and design, for our clients. Its a lot of fun, and I get to work with some of the best and brightest the world has to offer. I joined when our company was about 100 people, now we are at about 800 -- my division was just me, now we are 60 strong...its been a wild ride.
SAWCE

rockchops wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:47 pm
razr390 wrote:

Holy fuck that’s incredible. Awesome job man. Good for you.
wap

That's awesome, Chops. Well done. :like: