Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Barnes93cb wrote:Finally had someone failed in the course.

She couldn't get the bike started this morning. They finally held her hand though it. And she immediately took the bike over a curb and into a tree. She's fine and I'm happy she failed. She was a risk to everyone.

Now there is just one more I need to fail. He's horrible. Dropped the bike 5+ times and can't stop in place. He hit vandorin twice yesterday. And almost pinned my leg against the peg if I hadn't moved out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recall an extreme novice in my MSF course as well. She knew how to how to ride a bicycle, never ridden a motorcycle, and didn't know how to operate a :manuel: she would do fine at times, but when she was required make multiple inputs like braking, downshifting, and turning she'd vaporlock and go careening off course. Instructors pulled her off to the side and told her she wasn't ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

With a little effort we could make this thread more popular than the :poorvette: thread
:trollface:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

She couldn't get the bike started this morning. They finally held her hand though it. And she immediately took the bike over a curb and into a tree. She's fine and I'm happy she failed. She was a risk to everyone.

Now there is just one more I need to fail. He's horrible. Dropped the bike 5+ times and can't stop in place. He hit vandorin twice yesterday. And almost pinned my leg against the peg if I hadn't moved out of the way.

Scary thing is there's probably a hundred riders out there at the same skill level that feel confident enough to just ride out in the street.

Personally I really want to pick up a bike for track use only but I've only ridden a mini bike before and I'm not comfortable riding on the streets around here at all (I don't even bike on the street). Thoughts on how to bridge that gap?

:dedong:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

rockchops wrote:

Scary thing is there's probably a hundred riders out there at the same skill level that feel confident enough to just ride out in the street.

Personally I really want to pick up a bike for track use only but I've only ridden a mini bike before and I'm not comfortable riding on the streets around here at all (I don't even bike on the street). Thoughts on how to bridge that gap?

Assuming you have 0% desire to ride on the streets, ever, then the next option is to hook up with a track day org. Sign up for the Novice group. Usually within each novice group, there's subgroups broken up based on comfort level and experience. Be honest and group up with the "street/beginner" group and work your way up from there.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Guy dropped it 5 times and wasn't asked to leave? The hell...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote:You're right, fuck it. Nothing under 200 mph is fun. I'll just sell everything and buy booze.
Motorcycles are fun at 30 MPH on a back road dude. You're totally out in the open, it's way different than a car.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote:You're right, fuck it. Nothing under 200 mph is fun. I'll just sell everything and buy booze.
Motorcycles are fun at 30 MPH on a back road dude. You're totally out in the open, it's way different than a car.
30 mph is :gay: :jalepenis: :dislike: :nope:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote:
rockchops wrote: Scary thing is there's probably a hundred riders out there at the same skill level that feel confident enough to just ride out in the street.

Assuming you have 0% desire to ride on the streets, ever, then the next option is to hook up with a track day org. Sign up for the Novice group. Usually within each novice group, there's subgroups broken up based on comfort level and experience. Be honest and group up with the "street/beginner" group and work your way up from there.
Solid advice, looking into it now. One of my old coworkers did a full week of bike racing school, always wanted to do those but they're expensive (rightly so).

Also yeah no desire to ride on the street here. I would do it if I lived in the back woods but I see accidents and very near misses happen almost daily. Yesterday was a guy in a panamera turbo pulling out of a shopping center without even stopping at the exit. Nearly nailed the suv in front of me who did a pretty extraordinary evasive maneuver.

Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Johnny_P wrote:

Guy dropped it 5 times and wasn't asked to leave? The hell...
They apparently told him not to come back after lunch.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

How is Vandorin and why isn't he on here?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Err...

So two simple questions:

Is it more fun to ride a slow bike "fast" than a fast bike slow?

When do you ever get to wind out even a 100 hp bike let alone a 180 hp one, do you just completely ignore laws and law enforcement and bust out 150+ mph regularly on public roads?
They're both fun in their own way. I commute on the 180hp bike regularly. It's well mannered at 35 mph. When the situation allows, I'll rip through the gears at WOT for the lolz. At the same time, it's fun riding a 9hp Grom. Riding at WOT the entire time, jumping curbs, and doing stoppies at stop lights make it enjoyable.

It's like a Miata vs. :poorvette: on the TOTD vs the Cherohola Skyway. They're both fun in either car, but I'd rather Miata on the Dragon and :poorvette: on the Skyway.
:dat:

maxtdi wrote:
4zilch wrote:
Again, it goes back to engine layout/powerband. SV's are plenty fast enough without getting you into too much trouble. :notsure: about the 250 gayness though. I've seen plenty of fast riders embarrass the hell out of guys on bigger bikes.
Just like a good guy on a Miata can embarrass someone on corvette. But at the end of the day a 250 bike is slow and has skinny tires, considering for an extra say 1000 you can get a far better bike I see zero reasons not to.

Most ppl getting 250s end up selling them immediately and or they can't fit larger bikes (see women)
bruh, dont get too big of a bike.

Perfect example was my situation: the 650cc NC700 only had like 45 hp but wass full size bike, super easy to ride ,GREAT first bike.

The supermoto was 150 lbs lighter, 400 cc, 30ish hp, super short gearing and was WAY WAY WAY more dangerous than the NC700.

So, 250-350 class bikes ARE NOT stupid . just like some 600 class bikes are not dumb, but a 600 super sport would be.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

wap wrote:

How is Vandorin and why isn't he on here?
Hes good. He doesnt internet much. Hed rather play mechanic or sit in front of a fire.
wap

Barnes93cb wrote:
wap wrote: How is Vandorin and why isn't he on here?
Hes good. He doesnt internet much. Hed rather play mechanic or sit in front of a fire.
:disappoint: Tell him I said to drag his bony ass here.
Barnes93cb

wap wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Hes good. He doesnt internet much. Hed rather play mechanic or sit in front of a fire.
:disappoint: Tell him I said to drag his bony ass here.
He wont. He has no desire to internets.
wap

:(
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Yeah man, just go buy something and get on two wheels. You can't get ass off of seat just by planting your nose in a book.

Also, the :poorvette: is hilarious fun in city.
On ramps.
Any corner really.
Sitting in traffic, cuz you look fly.
Any chance for a little brub brub, I go for it.

Bikes are fun too, and the CB is decently quick, but tops off around 85-90 or so, it can go faster, but I'm fat, and that's pushing it.
But, it's not all about top end speed, I focus more on cornering on a bike than anything else. I always rate every corner I take, and am constantly trying to improve.

You don't have to be driving/riding something 10/10ths to enjoy it.
:iono:

That's my my two :melon: s worth.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I miss having a like button :(
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote:I miss having a like button :(
Me too man, me too.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

Melon wrote:
Me too man, me too.
:dat:
Barnes93cb

I like this.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

My take on bikes, get something to learn on and then be prepared to sell it fast. I started with a 750 Honda Shadow. Decent crewwwzer, they're everywhere. But I think it had something like 35 horse or some shit. 0-60 in MEHHHHHHH. It was probably a 15 second bike. I got it for $1,300 not running with pitted ass cheap chinese extended front forks. Cleaned the starter button/switch out, cranked right up. Rebuilt the carbs, replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier...Sold it for $2,200. I did spend a little on parts but I basically came out even.
I outgrew that bike SO quick.

I took the motorcycle safety class, and sad to say it, I didn't learn a single thing. I was one of those people that promoted it too for inexperienced riders... But for me, I memorized the damn test book so I knew everything in the classroom already. And I'd been riding for a while so I really didn't get much out of the hands on training. Especially when it came to riding those little 250s.

Like it has already been mentioned, "bike Fast" is different than "car fast". I upgraded to my Vrod pretty quick and was able to control the power easy (Dyno'd 110hp and should be a mid 12 second bike), but it's also a HEAVY bike (799 lbs) so it handles high highway speeds very well. After beating 3X 600s in my Z06, I have zero ambition to really ride my bike any more. The car is a different kind of fun. And watching these ratty 600s rev on me only to fall flat on their faces really surprised me. If you're going to get a sport bike, just think about what you want. They'll all got decent pickup, but don't expect to get a smaller bike and be able to do much more than zip around locally. I knew what I wanted when I chose mine. I wanted to cruise with my buddies occasionally for a bike trip, I wanted straight line power, and I wanted it to be comfortable. Power cruiser was the answer for me.
Barnes93cb

Acid666 wrote:My take on bikes, get something to learn on and then be prepared to sell it fast. I started with a 750 Honda Shadow. Decent crewwwzer, they're everywhere. But I think it had something like 35 horse or some shit. 0-60 in MEHHHHHHH. It was probably a 15 second bike. I got it for $1,300 not running with pitted ass cheap chinese extended front forks. Cleaned the starter button/switch out, cranked right up. Rebuilt the carbs, replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier...Sold it for $2,200. I did spend a little on parts but I basically came out even.
I outgrew that bike SO quick.

I took the motorcycle safety class, and sad to say it, I didn't learn a single thing. I was one of those people that promoted it too for inexperienced riders... But for me, I memorized the damn test book so I knew everything in the classroom already. And I'd been riding for a while so I really didn't get much out of the hands on training. Especially when it came to riding those little 250s.

Like it has already been mentioned, "bike Fast" is different than "car fast". I upgraded to my Vrod pretty quick and was able to control the power easy (Dyno'd 110hp and should be a mid 12 second bike), but it's also a HEAVY bike (799 lbs) so it handles high highway speeds very well. After beating 3X 600s in my Z06, I have zero ambition to really ride my bike any more. The car is a different kind of fun. And watching these ratty 600s rev on me only to fall flat on their faces really surprised me. If you're going to get a sport bike, just think about what you want. They'll all got decent pickup, but don't expect to get a smaller bike and be able to do much more than zip around locally. I knew what I wanted when I chose mine. I wanted to cruise with my buddies occasionally for a bike trip, I wanted straight line power, and I wanted it to be comfortable. Power cruiser was the answer for me.
Im getting my Bolt. Its a 950 that weights like 550 wet. It should handle me around town just fine. And the occasional trip somewhere with my friends. I dont expect it to be fast or to be the best handling. Its meant to cruise around on. I have the GTI when I want to be fast and wreckless.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I really wanted to hate it when I heard about it....but I kinda dig it.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/d ... sert-sled/