Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:47 pm Friend’s 350F build is finished. :drool:

that looks pretty
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:04 pm
4zilch wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:30 am Harley CEO stepped down :thisisfine: https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/20 ... 907299002/
You mean the livewire didn't save the company?
:howdareu:

its the future
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Figured I would revive this thread. Spooned on a MX216 in a 90/90. Didnt go for the fatty because I've heard the 100 can dull the handling. Gonna hit some trails tomorrow!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

NeonJonny wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm Figured I would revive this thread. Spooned on a MX216 in a 90/90. Didnt go for the fatty because I've heard the 100 can dull the handling. Gonna hit some trails tomorrow!
:notbad: I just ordered some Bridgestone S22’s for the Aprilia. Really well reviewed and I found a set for $250 :mindblown: plus $60 rebate :scrooge: the cheapest set of street tires I’ve bought in many years.

Sadly nobody here is even bike-curious anymore. Nobody is on the road, so it should be a good time to learn.

The quarantine has me looking at ways to spend money on another bike. I have the itch for 250cc 2-stroke ala NSR250, TZR250, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Ahhh yes. That was a KTM. I was looking at those 2 bikes before I got my Vrod. Both were my spirit animals. Lol
I briefly consider one to replace my Speed Triple. Quite comfortable for a superbike, looked amazing then and still does IMO.

There’s been some limited rumors about them doing a V4 superbike loosely based on their Motogp bike. In the short term, it does look like we’re going to get some smaller displacement “RC” bikes one with a 500cc twin and another based off of the 790/890 architecture.
Man... I'm not a bike guy but that is the hotness.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:15 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 am

I briefly consider one to replace my Speed Triple. Quite comfortable for a superbike, looked amazing then and still does IMO.

There’s been some limited rumors about them doing a V4 superbike loosely based on their Motogp bike. In the short term, it does look like we’re going to get some smaller displacement “RC” bikes one with a 500cc twin and another based off of the 790/890 architecture.
Man... I'm not a bike guy but that is the hotness.
They looked as good then as they do now.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I was watching Phantom Lake on prime the last few nights and man does that make me want an adventure style bike so bad. Triumph Tiger, 800GS, ADV690 or something along those lines.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 am I was watching Phantom Lake on prime the last few nights and man does that make me want an adventure style bike so bad. Triumph Tiger, 800GS, ADV690 or something along those lines.
KTM 790 Adventure :doit:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am
Apex wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 am I was watching Phantom Lake on prime the last few nights and man does that make me want an adventure style bike so bad. Triumph Tiger, 800GS, ADV690 or something along those lines.
KTM 790 Adventure :doit:
:mahman: :like:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

While we're on the subject of medium bore bikes.

https://youtu.be/MR3PLSbtnoY

This is compelling - particularly when it's going to be coming in at $11,700. Its closest competitor is the similarly spec'd Street Triple RS priced at $12,500.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:22 pm While we're on the subject of medium bore bikes.

This is compelling - particularly when it's going to be coming in at $11,700. Its closest competitor is the similarly spec'd Street Triple RS priced at $12,500.
Looks like a track weapon indeed. Will it even sell here in america? I havent seen a brand new sport bike in years. People here have kind of fallen away from street bikes and naked bikes. Most people here ride harleys, bigass ADV bikes, or smaller dualsports.
That tire kicked ass. At 55 dollars and the amount of pavement I ride it isnt worth it to sacrifice dirt traction for durability. Not DOT approved, but who gives a fuck anyway? You a cop? :trollface:
Apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:22 pm While we're on the subject of medium bore bikes.

:nice:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

NeonJonny wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Looks like a track weapon indeed. Will it even sell here in america? I havent seen a brand new sport bike in years. People here have kind of fallen away from street bikes and naked bikes. Most people here ride harleys, bigass ADV bikes, or smaller dualsports.
That tire kicked ass. At 55 dollars and the amount of pavement I ride it isnt worth it to sacrifice dirt traction for durability. Not DOT approved, but who gives a fuck anyway? You a cop? :trollface:
99% of the population doesn’t have access to public lands to ride on. The west is truly the home of off-road riding.
Lots of Harley’s (they still own half of the >600cc market) big adv bikes are still popular, although not a lot of guys off-roading them. Small and mid-bore bikes have been where the market is right now. Most of the 790s sold before before they even hit the show rooms. The segment in the largest decline is >999cc.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:57 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 pm
99% of the population doesn’t have access to public lands to ride on. The west is truly the home of off-road riding.
Lots of Harley’s (they still own half of the >600cc market) big adv bikes are still popular, although not a lot of guys off-roading them. Small and mid-bore bikes have been where the market is right now. Most of the 790s sold before before they even hit the show rooms. The segment in the largest decline is >999cc.
You're correct, but Al Gores are closing trails over here as well. Look what is happening to the Sequoias. They are getting rid of VOLUNTEERS that maintain the forests which means trails will close.
I guess it's the :poorvette: argument of never being able to open it up. This is why I got rid of my street bike. I feel like that's why the Africa twin market has taken off, and why not? It's a great bike. Nowadays it requires distance to get to the good stuff anymore. Either trailer/truck your woods bike or strap in for the long haul on an Africa twin.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

An interesting approach. Breaking off the credit and lifestyle pieces of HD to make money on their own while figuring out how to grow the motorcycle manufacturing business. https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ructuring/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am An interesting approach. Breaking off the credit and lifestyle pieces of HD to make money on their own while figuring out how to grow the motorcycle manufacturing business. https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ructuring/
good.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am An interesting approach. Breaking off the credit and lifestyle pieces of HD to make money on their own while figuring out how to grow the motorcycle manufacturing business. https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/h ... ructuring/
good.
hahaha just kidding

April Fools
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 am

good.
hahaha just kidding

April Fools
Fuck.

I already got fooled on the bookface this am too, but TROLLUMLA 1 of all people.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The Honda looks good and isn’t too different than the cb1000r

The Harley is an overbuilt, overweight version of the race bike.

Indian did a much better job of marrying the aesthetics on the FTR1200
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Anyone riding at all lately? Thread is dead. I just :wasteful: on Rocky Mountain ATV for some goodies.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:04 am Image
Anyone riding at all lately? Thread is dead. I just :wasteful: on Rocky Mountain ATV for some goodies.
I'm making a half-hearted attempt to sell mine. Although, given the downturn in the economy, I'm guessing I'm just gonna put the money into its need maintenance and keep it another year.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Have ridden several times over the last few weeks, but other than :fax: and you, we’re the only ones that ride.

I got bored yesterday and measured and reset sag on the Aprilia. Also discovered that Ohlins has an app that helps with recommending and tracking suspension changes, so that’s kinda neat.

Other than that, pretty much just waiting around for things to be open and to be able to do track days again.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

4zilch wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:39 am
Have ridden several times over the last few weeks, but other than :fax: and you, we’re the only ones that ride.

I got bored yesterday and measured and reset sag on the Aprilia. Also discovered that Ohlins has an app that helps with recommending and tracking suspension changes, so that’s kinda neat.

Other than that, pretty much just waiting around for things to be open and to be able to do track days again.
Aprilias are so badass. Useless story from when i was a 18 year old punk : I used to know a motorcycle mechanic that was working on one for some guy- doing a LOT of mods. Everything you can think of. The names on the card matched his license so he didn't think anything of it. Well the guy was either running up cards NFG, or he was making his own credit cards with other peoples numbers on it. I cant remember which. Aprilia guy ended up going to jail. The mechanic basically ended up keeping the bike somehow legally.

I hear they are putting deputies at the gates at the Cleveland National Forest to make sure people aren't going around them. :( No forest fun for me.