Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Double tap
Last edited by 4zilch on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

In4 talking to myself:

EICMA is still a few days away, but some manufacturers have started to reveal some new models. 2 notables worthy of discussion:

Streetfighter V4 with 205hp on tap (220 with race exhaust). $20k for the base model and $24k for the ‘S’
I don’t know how I feel about it yet. 200+ hp sans fairing is a lot as is $20k for a naked. Looks :tits: :doe: I suspect that Aprilia will make a better version and it’ll be cheaper.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ ... price-usa/

And Kawasaki showed off a 250cc 4 cylinder :mindblown: it’s like we’re in the early-mid 90’s all over again. I love that this thing is being built, and with what appears to be quality components and features. It should rev to the moon and make good power - I’m guessing it’ll be more at home on the track than the street in terms of engine character. But still really excited to see this thing and hope other manufacturers follow suite. Speculation on pricing is putting this bike between 9 and 10k

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ ... 25r-tokyo/
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am

And Kawasaki showed off a 250cc 4 cylinder :mindblown: it’s like we’re in the early-mid 90’s all over again. I love that this thing is being built, and with what appears to be quality components and features. It should rev to the moon and make good power - I’m guessing it’ll be more at home on the track than the street in terms of engine character. But still really excited to see this thing and hope other manufacturers follow suite. Speculation on pricing is putting this bike between 9 and 10k

that kawi makes me :dedong: tingle just knowing what it will sound like
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That Kawasaki looks :tits:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 am

Buy one :scrooge:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 am

Buy one :scrooge:
I will consider but I really like my upright seating position.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am In4 talking to myself:

EICMA is still a few days away, but some manufacturers have started to reveal some new models. 2 notables worthy of discussion:

Streetfighter V4 with 205hp on tap (220 with race exhaust). $20k for the base model and $24k for the ‘S’
I don’t know how I feel about it yet. 200+ hp sans fairing is a lot as is $20k for a naked. Looks :tits: :doe: I suspect that Aprilia will make a better version and it’ll be cheaper.

The price isn't really out of line for Ducati. Hell, my Monster 1200R was like $18K MSRP I think. I paid like $17k for it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am In4 talking to myself:

The price isn't really out of line for Ducati. Hell, my Monster 1200R was like $18K MSRP I think. I paid like $17k for it.
I agree, the price isn’t really a surprise at all, they’re consistently at the top of the eurotrash heap when it comes to price.

I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but I don’t think I want 200+ hp on a naked street bike....as if 175-180hp is appropriate. But something in my brain mentally says, oh 200hp, you need a fairing and clipons
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:41 pm

I agree, the price isn’t really a surprise at all, they’re consistently at the top of the eurotrash heap when it comes to price.

I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but I don’t think I want 200+ hp on a naked street bike....as if 175-180hp is appropriate. But something in my brain mentally says, oh 200hp, you need a fairing and clipons
Agreed.

The ~160hp on my Monster is more than enough. Hell, when I started riding the top sport bikes like the GSXR 1100 only had 140 HP. and my 750 had 112. This was considered extreme in 1989. Today if it doesn't have ~200 it's garbage? :iono:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

OMG. That is coming to murica?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:21 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
OMG. That is coming to murica?
Hopefully, nothing official yet :doe: However, as hot as the small displacement market has been, they'd be fools not to bring this over.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm

Agreed.

The ~160hp on my Monster is more than enough. Hell, when I started riding the top sport bikes like the GSXR 1100 only had 140 HP. and my 750 had 112. This was considered extreme in 1989. Today if it doesn't have ~200 it's garbage? :iono:
Basically. Every superbike and supernaked from here on out with have 200+hp and a bevy of rider aids to keep things "safe"
Apex

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Agreed.

Basically. Every superbike and supernaked from here on out with have 200+hp and a bevy of rider aids to keep things "safe"
How dare someone get training/skill to operate a vehicle of such magnitude! Blame the OEMs and demand nannies.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Man, 205hp in a bike sounds like death. lol. My Vrod had 110 and while it was heavy it got up and moved. I couldn't imagine even 150 horse with a lighter bike. That's gotta be retarded fast.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:48 pm Man, 205hp in a bike sounds like death. lol. My Vrod had 110 and while it was heavy it got up and moved. I couldn't imagine even 150 horse with a lighter bike. That's gotta be retarded fast.
I'm shopping for 205 hp in a 2700 lb car. Dangerously slow. :plac:

I don't even really want a bike but I want that ZX-25R more than any other bike that might be on the market. If that stupid thing actually comes to the USA I might have to make more retarded decisions that piss off my whole family. :thisisfine:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:48 pm Man, 205hp in a bike sounds like death. lol. My Vrod had 110 and while it was heavy it got up and moved. I couldn't imagine even 150 horse with a lighter bike. That's gotta be retarded fast.
I'm shopping for 205 hp in a 2700 lb car. Dangerously slow. :plac:

I don't even really want a bike but I want that ZX-25R more than any other bike that might be on the market. If that stupid thing actually comes to the USA I might have to make more retarded decisions that piss off my whole family. :thisisfine:
:word:

If I wasn’t so into old slow and revvy things at the moment, it’d definitely be in my list. I hope people buy it up and I hope other manufacturers follow suit with building more options
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

The V4 Streetfighter is absolutely bonkers and I love it, and I’m absolutely terrified of it.

Surely they are going to do one with the V2 as well, no?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:31 pm The V4 Streetfighter is absolutely bonkers and I love it, and I’m absolutely terrified of it.

Surely they are going to do one with the V2 as well, no?
Having ridden a 200+ hp bike, it’s great fun on an appropriately designed race track. Even my :jalepenis: 180hp bike is overkill in 98% of all street scenarios.

No word on a V2 street fighter. I suspect itll play to close to the monster if they did it. Next year will be a V4 Multistrada, but perhaps they’ll surprise us.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

New Super Duke teaser showing what’s clearly a concept. Hopefully the tail and split headlight design will remain as visual elements. The sound is as good as it’s always been. KTM has a habit of making brilliant looking concepts, then watering down the production version: inb4 the Internet :triggered: over the production version.

https://youtu.be/3g6dgi6Xv78
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Also, Aprilia appears to be working on a Tuono 660 based on the yet-to-be-released RS 660.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors ... spy-photo/
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:jimp:

That thing is a survivor and probably a pretty safe buy :doit:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah, I never really liked the Hondas when they were new, but decades later I have a soft spot for just about anything of the era, and the Hondas really stand out to me with their colorways.

I was more into second gen GSXRs that I owned and Ducati's of the day. I rode my friends ZXRR a lot. Looked just like this:

I would love to have this bike now, but back then I thought it was just "okay". :wtf: was wrong with me? I don't know why I didn't love the green at the time.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:46 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah, I never really liked the Hondas when they were new, but decades later I have a soft spot for just about anything of the era, and the Hondas really stand out to me with their colorways.

I was more into second gen GSXRs that I owned and Ducati's of the day. I rode my friends ZXRR a lot. Looked just like this:

I would love to have this bike now, but back then I thought it was just "okay". :wtf: was wrong with me? I don't know why I didn't love the green at the time.
Ah yeah, I’ve always been a fan of green. If you can find a real RR they bring a pretty penny, but are attainable.

Honda’s of that era are pretty neat though, generally industry leaders at that time, a lot of those bikes have an interesting story of how they came to be.

They’re all pretty shitty by today’s standards, but they definitely have a character that can’t be duplicated today. You can’t help but grin when riding a 4 cylinder with 4 carburetors with peaky power delivery and shitty brakes and subpar suspension.