Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote:
4zilch wrote:
SV makes ~15% more power, so it's not surprising it's faster in the quarter. I'd SV if for no other reason than the massive amount of aftermarket available for them.

Speaking of which: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5808268243.html
Nice one! I like the naked versions but that's a solid one for a good price.
I tend to like the nekkid ones better too, but they look good with the lower fairing. The blue is :jimp:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote:
Are we talking about the same bikes? SV650(S) tested 12 flat 1/4 at nearly 110 mph, CB500F more like 13.7 at low 90s. It's got ~50% more power and not a whole lot more weight.

The SV650 is faster than my car (at street legal speeds in a straight line). :notsure: :iono:

SV makes ~15% more power, so it's not surprising it's faster in the quarter. I'd SV if for no other reason than the massive amount of aftermarket available for them.

Speaking of which: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5808268243.html
Something must be wrong here. I'm talking about the 2013+ Honda CB500F/CBR500R/CB500X and the 2003-2009 Suzuki SV650(S).

The Honda makes 45 hp at the wheel and runs high 13's, the Suzuki makes 70 hp and runs low 12s. How are they similar?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/11/20 ... otos-specs

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13/su ... used-bikes

This one looks good to me for the price:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/5844818687.html

...but is a 75 hp bike that's faster than hell really for beginners? I don't get it. I thought it's both more appropriate and more fun to ride a slow bike "fast" - is that wrong?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

You get into less trouble with a slow bike because it can't go all that fast. Same reason you don't give a teen a :poorvette: as their first car.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:You get into less trouble with a slow bike because it can't go all that fast. Same reason you don't give a teen a :poorvette: as their first car.
:dat:

But a lot of it comes down to the rider and their maturity. SVs and CBs are easy to ride, with a nice usable power band at low RPMs. All bikes can kill you, and most of them out accelerate most cars. Hell even the Grom will win a race to 15mph vs most cars/drivers.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the peak numbers. The powerband across the rev range offers a better insight into a motorcycle engine's character.

My recommendation: buy what you think you can be responsible and have fun on. If you buy a 250/300 and after a few months decide you want more power then :plac: to an SV.

Credentials: from someone who has ridden a lot of bikes with a lot of different engine configurations.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:You get into less trouble with a slow bike because it can't go all that fast. Same reason you don't give a teen a :poorvette: as their first car.
:dat:

But a lot of it comes down to the rider and their maturity. SVs and CBs are easy to ride, with a nice usable power band at low RPMs. All bikes can kill you, and most of them out accelerate most cars. Hell even the Grom will win a race to 15mph vs most cars/drivers.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the peak numbers. The powerband across the rev range offers a better insight into a motorcycle engine's character.

My recommendation: buy what you think you can be responsible and have fun on. If you buy a 250/300 and after a few months decide you want more power then :plac: to an SV.

Credentials: from someone who has ridden a lot of bikes with a lot of different engine configurations.
:plac: is easy with motorcycles. They're cheap and used, don't lose too much value.

I'd recommend taking a rider course first to see if you like it. Then find something you're comfortable on.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote:
Melon wrote:SV650s is about on par with my CB500 in terms of acceleration.
It's a solid first bike choice, and will be a lot more comfortable on a highway jaunt than a Ninja 250.
Are we talking about the same bikes? SV650(S) tested 12 flat 1/4 at nearly 110 mph, CB500F more like 13.7 at low 90s. It's got ~50% more power and not a whole lot more weight.

The SV650 is faster than my car (at street legal speeds in a straight line). :notsure: :iono:
Few point here.

Dubshow was the one that told me they were comparable, so I was going by his statement.
Also, I recommended it b/c I see it on every top 10 "Best First Bike" list, they're cheap and as Trav said, parts are everywhere.

Slowbike fast is a lot of fun, you would love a Grom, but, if going for the max bike:dollar on the used market, the SV is right at the top of the heap. You've expressed a lot of concern over the price of the bike you wish to buy

Bikes have a completely different definiton of what "Fast" is.
CB500 an SV650 are in the 'medium' category.

Fast is a modern 600 to a liter bike. Anything over that is :balls: quick.

And of course

HYABUSA MOTHERFUCKER
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote:

Few point here.

Dubshow was the one that told me they were comparable, so I was going by his statement.
Also, I recommended it b/c I see it on every top 10 "Best First Bike" list, they're cheap and as Trav said, parts are everywhere.

Slowbike fast is a lot of fun, you would love a Grom, but, if going for the max bike:dollar on the used market, the SV is right at the top of the heap. You've expressed a lot of concern over the price of the bike you wish to buy

Bikes have a completely different definiton of what "Fast" is.
CB500 an SV650 are in the 'medium' category.

Fast is a modern 600 to a liter bike. Anything over that is :balls: quick.

And of course

HYABUSA MOTHERFUCKER
:bravo:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:bow:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Err...

So two simple questions:

Is it more fun to ride a slow bike "fast" than a fast bike slow?

When do you ever get to wind out even a 100 hp bike let alone a 180 hp one, do you just completely ignore laws and law enforcement and bust out 150+ mph regularly on public roads?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote:Err...

So two simple questions:

When do you ever get to wind out even a 100 hp bike let alone a 180 hp one, do you just completely ignore laws and law enforcement and bust out 150+ mph regularly on public roads?
Um... bikes are totally different. The more fun you have the exponentially closer you are to death and or crashing.
Crashing is just part of the game when it comes to bikes...
Which is why I sold mine
max225

I also would get anything smaller than a sv650, 250 bikes are gay and tiny. Also my sv650 wasn't all that fast, I went full throttle plenty of times without the fear of dying
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So two simple questions:

They're both fun in their own way. I commute on the 180hp bike regularly. It's well mannered at 35 mph. When the situation allows, I'll rip through the gears at WOT for the lolz. At the same time, it's fun riding a 9hp Grom. Riding at WOT the entire time, jumping curbs, and doing stoppies at stop lights make it enjoyable.

It's like a Miata vs. :poorvette: on the TOTD vs the Cherohola Skyway. They're both fun in either car, but I'd rather Miata on the Dragon and :poorvette: on the Skyway.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:I also would get anything smaller than a sv650, 250 bikes are gay and tiny. Also my sv650 wasn't all that fast, I went full throttle plenty of times without the fear of dying
Again, it goes back to engine layout/powerband. SV's are plenty fast enough without getting you into too much trouble. :notsure: about the 250 gayness though. I've seen plenty of fast riders embarrass the hell out of guys on bigger bikes.
max225

4zilch wrote:
maxtdi wrote:I also would get anything smaller than a sv650, 250 bikes are gay and tiny. Also my sv650 wasn't all that fast, I went full throttle plenty of times without the fear of dying
Again, it goes back to engine layout/powerband. SV's are plenty fast enough without getting you into too much trouble. :notsure: about the 250 gayness though. I've seen plenty of fast riders embarrass the hell out of guys on bigger bikes.
Just like a good guy on a Miata can embarrass someone on corvette. But at the end of the day a 250 bike is slow and has skinny tires, considering for an extra say 1000 you can get a far better bike I see zero reasons not to.

Most ppl getting 250s end up selling them immediately and or they can't fit larger bikes (see women)
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:

So two simple questions:

Um... bikes are totally different. The more fun you have the exponentially closer you are to death and or crashing.
Crashing is just part of the game when it comes to bikes...
Which is why I sold mine
I don't necessarily agree with fun:death/crash quotient. Riding approaching the limit is fun, but mentally and physically exhausting after awhile. Plenty of fun can be had while riding within your comfort zone. If riding is only fun at the limit, then id suggest a track only motorcycle.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
4zilch wrote:
Just like a good guy on a Miata can embarrass someone on corvette. But at the end of the day a 250 bike is slow and has skinny tires, considering for an extra say 1000 you can get a far better bike I see zero reasons not to.

Most ppl getting 250s end up selling them immediately and or they can't fit larger bikes (see women)
Fair. I'm not saying one is better than the other as a first bike. Some people go back to 250s because they're fun and less likely to result in bodily harm. I know plenty of ex/retired racers that have sold fire breathing liter bikes for 250/300cc bikes and have a blast.

The nice thing about buying a 250 is that you can learn and graduate to a bigger bike. Then when you sell it, there's often next to zero penalty for ownership.
Last edited by 4zilch on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Liter bikes are nuts ... basically the equivalent of i need 1000hp to commute to work.

Most dudes can usually do well on the 600s at that level it is only skill that sets you apart.

I still think a nice sv650 or the likes for ~3k is about as good as it gets. IMO a sv650 is the perfect beginner bike, it is forgiving and has a great ride position and if you decide to get better and race it etc it can do that too.

It is the Swiss Army knife of bikes
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:

So two simple questions:

They're both fun in their own way. I commute on the 180hp bike regularly. It's well mannered at 35 mph. When the situation allows, I'll rip through the gears at WOT for the lolz. At the same time, it's fun riding a 9hp Grom. Riding at WOT the entire time, jumping curbs, and doing stoppies at stop lights make it enjoyable.

It's like a Miata vs. :poorvette: on the TOTD vs the Cherohola Skyway. They're both fun in either car, but I'd rather Miata on the Dragon and :poorvette: on the Skyway.
We must have different financial risk tolerance levels. I don't think a :poorvette: is fun on ANY public road unless you're willing to go to jail. It's too fast in a straight line and too capable around corners. Driving it in a way that's fun means 150+ mph on most roads or at least double the speed limit on anything with corners. I will not risk being ticketed for doing that shit - that's why I want to sell the car.

How the FUCK do you people do 150+ mph regularly and keep your licenses?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

You only lose it when you get caught :mahtroy:
max225

troyguitar wrote:
4zilch wrote:

We must have different financial risk tolerance levels. I don't think a :poorvette: is fun on ANY public road unless you're willing to go to jail. It's too fast in a straight line and too capable around corners. Driving it in a way that's fun means 150+ mph on most roads or at least double the speed limit on anything with corners. I will not risk being ticketed for doing that shit - that's why I want to sell the car.

The bike situation adds performance and risk to your life so I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

Unless you just plan on tracking the bike
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote:

The bike situation adds performance and risk to your life so I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm talking about financial risk - namely speeding tickets and increased insurance rates.

A 250 would be more dramatic but is slower in both a straight line and around corners than a :poorvette: - plus costs way less in every way. The financial risk is nearly zero.
max225

troyguitar wrote:
maxtdi wrote: The bike situation adds performance and risk to your life so I am not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm talking about financial risk - namely speeding tickets and increased insurance rates.

A 250 would be more dramatic but is slower in both a straight line and around corners than a :poorvette: - plus costs way less in every way. The financial risk is nearly zero.
Have you looked at medical bills lately ?

A250 is not where fun is going to be had on the streets, you will be breaking the law one way or another. And on a bike you will be breaking bones as well
troyguitar

You're right, fuck it. Nothing under 200 mph is fun. I'll just sell everything and buy booze.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote:You're right, fuck it. Nothing under 200 mph is fun. I'll just sell everything and buy booze.
:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Finally had someone failed in the course.

She couldn't get the bike started this morning. They finally held her hand though it. And she immediately took the bike over a curb and into a tree. She's fine and I'm happy she failed. She was a risk to everyone.

Now there is just one more I need to fail. He's horrible. Dropped the bike 5+ times and can't stop in place. He hit vandorin twice yesterday. And almost pinned my leg against the peg if I hadn't moved out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk