Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '06 S2K, '17 CB300F

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

Sno wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Back in the habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never made a tart. Love chocolate. Can I eat this?

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm

stripethree wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am
Sno wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Back in the habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never made a tart. Love chocolate. Can I eat this?
You absolutely can, bub. They can be crazy easy, too. I needed a last minute dessert for a thing today and could almost whip this up with what we had at home (Oreos, we don’t keep stuff like that in the house.) This one is no-bake, too. Which I love (except I do bake my crust for about 8 minutes just because a crispier crust lends itself better up to the tart pan I prefer.)

Ingredients
Oreo Crust:
24 Oreo cookies
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick/85 g) unsalted butter, melted
Ganache filling:
170 g/6 oz (1 cup) coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
170 g/6 oz (1 cup) coarsely chopped milk chocolate
1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
¼ cup (1/2 stick/56 g) butter, cut into small pieces

Instructions
To make the crust: Pulse Oreo cookies, with filling, in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer crumbs to a medium bowl, add melted butter, and mix until combined and moistened. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch (23cm) tart pan. Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before adding the filling (or, if you prefer a very crunchy crust, you can bake it in a 350F/180C preheated oven for about 8 minutes until fragrant and firm, then let it cool completely on a wire rack).
To make the filling: In a medium heatproof bowl, place chopped bittersweet and milk chocolate. Set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream and butter to a low boil. Remove from the heat and pour mixture over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, stir mixture until melted and smooth (if not completely melted, heat in the microwave for several seconds). Pour mixture over chilled Oreo crust and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours but preferably more. Before serving, if the crust is tough it's probably too cold, so just leave at at room temperature for a short while.
Tart will keep, covered well, for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm
At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.

Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meotwa/05 SilveraDOE

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 pm

The wifey and I haven't been cooking much. Lately it's been instant pot soup style of shit where we can just eat it for a few days.
Fucking amazing tasting shit for what it is. Ground beef with some asian style seasonings and lintels and a few potatoes thrown in the mix... It's f'n good.
Throw that shit in there, frozen and all. Come back to a stew of flavor.
We've been doing that a lot. Last thing I did was dump some frozen chicken with some enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes both from a can (basically the broth). Once it's done cooking I took the chicken out and shredded it and put it back in. Good shit.

Here's Enchilada, our blind kitty (We call him Enchi). We didn't put him in the instant pot.

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:46 pm

We made keto bread. Its actually very good. (https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/recipe/keto-bread/)

Then we put it on elk burgers. Delicious.

Weekly :fax:
Alain Prost wrote: When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

golftdibrad wrote:
We made keto bread. Its actually very good. (https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/recipe/keto-bread/)

My wife and I are doing keto these days. We will try this.

Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:07 am

Calvinball wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

Scallops? And risotto? And browned garlic? So fucking in.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm
At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.

Calvinball

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Scallops with browned butter/white wine/lemon pan sauce over orzo with kale, tomatoes, and kalamata olives.

Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meotwa/05 SilveraDOE

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 pm

golftdibrad wrote:

Might have to try this. We've tried multiple times to get bread right and never could. At least for pizza crust. It just never tasted right or had the right consistency.
But regular bread, this is interesting.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Willys Wheeler

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Just read the link for that bread. That's actually pretty interesting.
:sawce:

golftdibrad
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Turbo Yaris, Clear Miata/MR2

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Acid666 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 pm
golftdibrad wrote:

Might have to try this. We've tried multiple times to get bread right and never could. At least for pizza crust. It just never tasted right or had the right consistency.
But regular bread, this is interesting.
its so good, like not sweet pound cake consistency. It might have tasted better due to it being 100% guilt free!

We used that able recipe to a T except we use ghee instead of butter. :fatty:
Weekly :fax:
Alain Prost wrote: When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:33 pm

Calvinball wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:08 pm
Scallops with browned butter/white wine/lemon pan sauce over orzo with kale, tomatoes, and kalamata olives.

:fuckyeah: The best olives on the planet.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I took a $14 5lb+ chuck steak (roast cut like steak) and rubbed it down with a little red pepper flake (cuban seasoning mix?) salt and montreal steak seasoning.

Dried it, left on a rack in the fridge over night seasoned. Vac Bagged it with butter and minced onions. Stuck in sousvide at 134.5 deg. It will only get 12 hours. A lot of people suggest 24-36 hours. Im very :notsure: about letting ANY electric heating device run that long. Plus I cant plan food THAT far out. I want it now. So Ill be searing it around 7pm tonight and seeing how I screwed it up.

:fatty:
This post is illegal in the European Union.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

dubshow wrote:
I took a $14 5lb+ chuck steak (roast cut like steak) and rubbed it down with a little red pepper flake (cuban seasoning mix?) salt and montreal steak seasoning.

Dried it, left on a rack in the fridge over night seasoned. Vac Bagged it with butter and minced onions. Stuck in sousvide at 134.5 deg. It will only get 12 hours. A lot of people suggest 24-36 hours. Im very :notsure: about letting ANY electric heating device run that long. Plus I cant plan food THAT far out. I want it now. So Ill be searing it around 7pm tonight and seeing how I screwed it up.

Sounds tasty. I love montreal steak seasoning. I almost bought their big thing of chicken seasoning at costco the other day, but I'm still on a frank's red hot kick along with my jalapeno mustard. Other than that, the chicken just gets a little bit of garlic salt and plain iodized salt while it cooks.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:27 pm

dubshow wrote:

I guess the vacuum sealed bag prevents bacteria? 134 is in the food storage danger zone.

How often do you sous vide?

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:27 pm
dubshow wrote:

I guess the vacuum sealed bag prevents bacteria? 134 is in the food storage danger zone.

How often do you sous vide?
pretty much above 130 kills most bacteria. The vacuum pack makes it not float around.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... d-bacteria

Its really a time length to heat and then limited exposure. above 130, things get killed off slowly. Anything about 160 gets killed instantly which is why thats the "safe" cooking temp. Also, just dont leave the food out. You have to get it chilled quickly once done cooking/eating.

I break it out around once a month. Id like to use more. The USDA guidelines are really to keep people in check for worst case scenarios. I take a lot of care in prep and cooking. I see no danger in it than cooking a steak medium rare straight from the grocery store.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

Been making a lot of jalapeno poppers lately while on the keto diet. So good. I usually add lot of red pepper flakes to spice it up

Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Legacy Swagon | Nissan 240sx

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

dubshow wrote:

How'd this turn out? Was it still fairly tough at 12 hours, or did you get some decent breakdown? I haven't bothered with many tough cuts SV, I tend to prefer the texture you get from a traditional braise so they generally go into the oven.

SAWCE
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Bandit wrote:
dubshow wrote:

How'd this turn out? Was it still fairly tough at 12 hours, or did you get some decent breakdown? I haven't bothered with many tough cuts SV, I tend to prefer the texture you get from a traditional braise so they generally go into the oven.
I meant to ask about this too. He posted pictures on the IG, but didn't say much about how the texture turned out.

dubshow
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Bandit wrote:
dubshow wrote:

was really good! Id probably go a bit longer like 14 hours. But great breakdown with a good tender yet firm bite. 4 people tried it and liked it. It did a hot 550 deg sear in the egg and added wood chips to get smoke. Cooked about 2-3 mins each side.

Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Legacy Swagon | Nissan 240sx

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:41 pm

dubshow wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm
Bandit wrote:

was really good! Id probably go a bit longer like 14 hours. But great breakdown with a good tender yet firm bite. 4 people tried it and liked it. It did a hot 550 deg sear in the egg and added wood chips to get smoke. Cooked about 2-3 mins each side.

That does look pretty great! I'll have to give it a shot. I'm jealous of the egg, I'd love to have one of those.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I eat a fair amount of chuckeye steaks. I treat them just like Ribeyes. The Chuck steaks I cut up for kabobs

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:50 pm

To sous vide you have to have a vacuum sealer?

Calvinball

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 pm

KYGTIGuy wrote:To sous vide you have to have a vacuum sealer?
I believe so.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 am

dubshow wrote:

Sounds fucking fantastic.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

• Information