Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I went out ad rode 20 miles on the mountain bike yesterday at Sherman Branch park here in Charlotte. It was fun as hell, way better than my Thursday MTB ride and I think my longest MTB ride, at least since getting Strava. It's a flowy trail system and just felt great and fun. I wish that was what was close to my house instead of the super technical place.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The required time investment or activation energy of MTB is a thing that has scared me off of even trying that stuff (crashing and hurting myself being the other thing), and why I bought the "gravel" bike instead of an XC bike in the first place. If I have to get the hitch out and drive who knows how far to get to the park, plus possibly pay fees to ride there, then put my dirty ass in my brand new car seats to drive home, I'm not sure that I'll ever :doit: - that's getting to be the same kind of commitment as autocross/trackdaybro. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Unrelated: Man, between winter finally ending and this bike shit finally starting to come together I feel so much less terrible I don't know what to do with myself. I still have some pain and a ton of tension in my neck/shoulders but it's improving and this is the best I have felt in some time. Must be getting old, hurting only a little all day is like :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 am The required time investment or activation energy of MTB is a thing that has scared me off of even trying that stuff (crashing and hurting myself being the other thing), and why I bought the "gravel" bike instead of an XC bike in the first place. If I have to get the hitch out and drive who knows how far to get to the park, plus possibly pay fees to ride there, then put my dirty ass in my brand new car seats to drive home, I'm not sure that I'll ever :doit: - that's getting to be the same kind of commitment as autocross/trackdaybro. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Unrelated: Man, between winter finally ending and this bike shit finally starting to come together I feel so much less terrible I don't know what to do with myself. I still have some pain and a ton of tension in my neck/shoulders but it's improving and this is the best I have felt in some time. Must be getting old, hurting only a little all day is like :fuckyeah:
Yeah it takes some time to get used to the position in general. Mountain bikes are a little easier to just jump on and ride as you're usually more upright.

Mountain biking is a huge time commitment for sure. Where I live it would take me 45 mins to drive to the trails which is why I just ride to them instead. Injury wise, you're more likely to get injured mountain biking, but they tend to be smaller injuries in general. Road biking, although less overall injuries, they tend to be way more severe. Pavement doesn't give in the same way dirt, trees, and plants do.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 am The required time investment or activation energy of MTB is a thing that has scared me off of even trying that stuff (crashing and hurting myself being the other thing), and why I bought the "gravel" bike instead of an XC bike in the first place. If I have to get the hitch out and drive who knows how far to get to the park, plus possibly pay fees to ride there, then put my dirty ass in my brand new car seats to drive home, I'm not sure that I'll ever :doit: - that's getting to be the same kind of commitment as autocross/trackdaybro. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

Kinda depends on where you live. There are two trail systems here I can ride to that are about 3 miles away each. All of it is free save the US National Whitewater Center, where you have to pay to park, I usually just get the $50 annual parking pass. Nice thing with that place is that they have showers and it's close-ish to where I work, so back when going to an office was a thing, I would just go there for a couple hours and then head to work. I certainly get :triggered: by getting in the car dirty as well. I normally just change in the parking lot after, NFG. I'd rather get more clean clothes dirty than my car.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:58 am

Kinda depends on where you live. There are two trail systems here I can ride to that are about 3 miles away each. All of it is free save the US National Whitewater Center, where you have to pay to park, I usually just get the $50 annual parking pass. Nice thing with that place is that they have showers and it's close-ish to where I work, so back when going to an office was a thing, I would just go there for a couple hours and then head to work. I certainly get :triggered: by getting in the car dirty as well. I normally just change in the parking lot after, NFG. I'd rather get more clean clothes dirty than my car.
No one wants to hear about how Charlotte is fucking awesome. :eeyore:

That's smart to just bring extra clothes :doe:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Boys.

I've come to the realization that my Pearl iZumi Pursuit Attack bib does not appear to have enough padding in the goochal region. Also, halfway into a ride I'll realize my junk went numb.

Is this #bikelyfe or do I need better clothing?
Johnny_P

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm Boys.

I've come to the realization that my Pearl iZumi Pursuit Attack bib does not appear to have enough padding in the goochal region. Also, halfway into a ride I'll realize my junk went numb.

Is this #bikelyfe or do I need better clothing?
Could partially be clothing. Could partially be the saddle itself. Call around to shops and see if they have a saddle demo program where you can try a few saddles out for a rental fee that usually then goes towards the saddle purchase.

You could also try to play with saddle angle. Could try nosing it down just a hair. You shouldn't feel like you're falling off of it though.
troyguitar

Anyone tried the Walmart bikes yet?

18.x lbs carbon GRX bike for $2300 seems pretty solid.

https://www.viathonbicycles.com/product ... 7410504817
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:48 pm Anyone tried the Walmart bikes yet?

Seems like a great spec but I’m definitely a brand snob. :fancy:
:dat:

Their bikes seem to be decent value, but given it’s a big box store reaching out into a niche market with questionable logic... I’m not sure where this brand will be in 2, 5 or 10 years and what support will be like.

It’s one thing to spend <$800 on a bike and get a few good years out of it... when you’re spending $2200+ you’re in the territory of several other established brands with great offerings. Having just had to deal with a frustrating warranty claim on my Orbea - a Brand with over a century in business - I’d want to know that a significant purchase like that will have support down the line.

Check out Giant’s lineup. They offer some great value in the big boy name brand space.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Further:

It’s like buying a Kia Stinger GT when you’re really looking for a Panamera 4.

Then hanging out with your Porsche buddies.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:06 pm Further:

Unless you ride :foreveralone:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Unless you ride :foreveralone:
:hai:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:48 pm Anyone tried the Walmart bikes yet?

Is there something better in the same neighborhood? :iono: what all of the brands are - your bikes are so premium that I've never heard of them. Especially since y'all don't actually call anything by its real name it's even more confusing.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Is there something better in the same neighborhood? :iono: what all of the brands are - your bikes are so premium that I've never heard of them. Especially since y'all don't actually call anything by its real name it's even more confusing.
Purple:
https://www.konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm Is there something better in the same neighborhood? :iono: what all of the brands are - your bikes are so premium that I've never heard of them. Especially since y'all don't actually call anything by its real name it's even more confusing.
Purple:
Do want.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Purple:
This actually comes really damn close:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... ode=orange
:neat:
Johnny_P

Yeah but the stinger comes in orange and is cool
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Everything is made in China or Taiwan anyway
Johnny_P

Purple:
Why you support police brutality bro? I like the checkpoint. A friend of mine just had one built up as a replacement to his Salsa Warbird he literally snapped in half when he ran full speed into a log.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 pm Is there something better in the same neighborhood? :iono: what all of the brands are - your bikes are so premium that I've never heard of them. Especially since y'all don't actually call anything by its real name it's even more confusing.
Purple:
:fuckyeah: ever since like 2 years ago when All City lost one of their major bike designers it seems Kona stepped up as the go-to party brand.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:21 pm
Everything is made in China or Taiwan anyway
That was my first thought but like I said I don't know shit about bikes besides reading spec sheets.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 pm

Why you support police brutality bro? I like the checkpoint. A friend of mine just had one built up as a replacement to his Salsa Warbird he literally snapped in half when he ran full speed into a log.
#fullsend
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:24 pm

Purple:
:fuckyeah: ever since like 2 years ago when All City lost one of their major bike designers it seems Kona stepped up as the go-to party brand.
For me, I think something like a Rove would be rad.
troyguitar

Purple:
Dunno, $500 more for 3 extra lbs and mostly the "same" spec seems hard to swallow? 18 lbs on the Wally World bike sounds :fuckyeah: to me.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:24 pm

For me, I think something like a Rove would be rad.
Just depends on what you want to do with it.