Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:17 pm I rode my mountain bike for the first time in a month. Man, it felt like going from the :poorvette: to the :jeep:, very odd. Also, I now suck at mountain biking, 1/7. I will probably go again this weekend to some easier trails. The super technical shit just isn't that fun to me.
Yeah that happens, you gotta kind of do both. But, do both, and they will help you build strength in each other. Like, road biking will make you a better mountain biker because of the endurance aspect. Mountain biking will make you a better at road sprinting, bike control, and balance.
:dat: My climbing abilities/endurance were great, just all of the roots/rocks technique was shit :lolol: Backyard Trail where I went is :neat: and the closest trail system to my :haus: but it is also the toughest and most technical in the area, so it's to be expected.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah it's not annoying enough to use a step-stool, just enough to accentuate my lack of ability to do high-kicks anymore. Need to get back into TMNT, Karate Kid, and 3 Ninjas...

Apparently if I go SRAM there are reasonably priced 1x12 options where I could run an 11-50 rear on my existing hubs and whatever (44 probably) up front... then if I ever get fast enough to need more high end, upgrade to a 10-50 or even 9-50 rear with :stig: :ramz: and XD hubs.

Assuming, of course, that the flat bar even works well enough to let me watch the road.
troyguitar

Up to 170W today too, continuing to get a little easier. I'm afraid to go past 20 mins until I get sorted with the bars/saddle swaps. Not being in crazy amounts of pain is nice.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Anyone want to talk about MTB geometry for a minute? :math:

My in-laws (mother, father, and sister) are all in town and I've had the chance to get out and play bikes a couple times since we've had people to take our brood off our hands. Yesterday my wife and I went out and did an easy ride up to and around the reservoir, and I broke out the old 2008 Cannondale F6 just in case we wanted to lock them up and venture off on foot. It felt SO weird being back on the old bike at first, but it didn't take long before I felt right back at home again, since I've had that bike for 12 stinkin' years.

Then this morning I broke out the Trance and went to Fort Ben and did each main loop once. Had an absolute ball. :fuckyeah: Generally I'm super comfortable on that bike, but there are still times where it feels WAY too short up top, mostly when climbing. If I'm really trying to bomb up a steeper hill, obviously I have to shift my weight forward to keep from just tipping over backward. I have problems, though, when I do that and the rear tire hits a root or something, I feel like I'm about to go over the damn bars. It's happened to me several times now.

That got me thinking about bike geometry, so I broke out the tape measure to compare my old bike to my new one, as well as the bike I think I wish I had, the new Ibis Ripley.

Reach:

F6 (large): 445
Trance (medium): 435
Trance (large): 448
Ripley (large): 475

Top Tube:

F6 (large): 605
Trance (medium): 610
Trance (large): 630
Ripley (large): 630

So my 12 year old bike has basically the exact same reach as the size up from my current Trance, but my old Cdale has a 100mm stem instead of the 50mm on the new bike, which, coupled with a 10mm longer reach versus my medium, gives me 6cm (!!) more room to work between the crank and the bars. The Trance, though, has an obviously more slack seat tube, which makes it longer when seated but then shorter while standing. I think that's why I preferred the Medium when riding around in the parking lot and didn't even bother to take the Large out on the trails. But now the Medium feels too small to me even though Giant recommends the Medium up to 5'11" and I'm 5'10".

So, anyway, definitely wish I would've bought a Large. Obviously bike geometry has changed a lot just in the last few years, but I also find it interesting that Ibis recommends the size Large Ripley for someone all the way down to 173cm and up to 185cm, versus the Trance Giant recommends down only to 179cm (I'm 178cm) and up to 188cm despite an identical top tube and a shorter reach. Different philosophies I guess.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:11 pm Up to 170W today too, continuing to get a little easier. I'm afraid to go past 20 mins until I get sorted with the bars/saddle swaps. Not being in crazy amounts of pain is nice.
Awesome. Stick with it.

Every 3-4 days, run it up to 30-35 minutes or so and start easing into a little bit more seat time.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 pm Anyone want to talk about MTB geometry for a minute? :math:

My in-laws (mother, father, and sister) are all in town and I've had the chance to get out and play bikes a couple times since we've had people to take our brood off our hands. Yesterday my wife and I went out and did an easy ride up to and around the reservoir, and I broke out the old 2008 Cannondale F6 just in case we wanted to lock them up and venture off on foot. It felt SO weird being back on the old bike at first, but it didn't take long before I felt right back at home again, since I've had that bike for 12 stinkin' years.

Then this morning I broke out the Trance and went to Fort Ben and did each main loop once. Had an absolute ball. :fuckyeah: Generally I'm super comfortable on that bike, but there are still times where it feels WAY too short up top, mostly when climbing. If I'm really trying to bomb up a steeper hill, obviously I have to shift my weight forward to keep from just tipping over backward. I have problems, though, when I do that and the rear tire hits a root or something, I feel like I'm about to go over the damn bars. It's happened to me several times now.

That got me thinking about bike geometry, so I broke out the tape measure to compare my old bike to my new one, as well as the bike I think I wish I had, the new Ibis Ripley.

Reach:

Top Tube:

So my 12 year old bike has basically the exact same reach as the size up from my current Trance, but my old Cdale has a 100mm stem instead of the 50mm on the new bike, which, coupled with a 10mm longer reach versus my medium, gives me 6cm (!!) more room to work between the crank and the bars. The Trance, though, has an obviously more slack seat tube, which makes it longer when seated but then shorter while standing. I think that's why I preferred the Medium when riding around in the parking lot and didn't even bother to take the Large out on the trails. But now the Medium feels too small to me even though Giant recommends the Medium up to 5'11" and I'm 5'10".

So, anyway, definitely wish I would've bought a Large. Obviously bike geometry has changed a lot just in the last few years, but I also find it interesting that Ibis recommends the size Large Ripley for someone all the way down to 173cm and up to 185cm, versus the Trance Giant recommends down only to 179cm (I'm 178cm) and up to 188cm despite an identical top tube and a shorter reach. Different philosophies I guess.
How low do you have the stem? Most bikes are set up with 20-30mm of stack under the stem with spacers. Try dropping the bars/stem down about 10mm or so to get some more weight over the front, and maybe experiment with a 10mm longer stem to get forwards a bit more without making the steering lag too much. Or perhaps a handlebar with less sweep back?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:46 pm How low do you have the stem? Most bikes are set up with 20-30mm of stack under the stem with spacers. Try dropping the bars/stem down about 10mm or so to get some more weight over the front, and maybe experiment with a 10mm longer stem to get forwards a bit more without making the steering lag too much. Or perhaps a handlebar with less sweep back?
The bar is as high as it’ll go. Came that way. :iono: Dropping the bars beneath a spacer or two might help while climbing, yeah, though I rather like having them taller the rest of the time. Might be worth trying, though, or maybe I’ll give a 60mm stem a shot or something. The factory bars are really pretty straight, I don’t think there’s be much to change there.
troyguitar

175W today, Ergon saddle is out for delivery too. Flat bar looks like monday at the earliest. Neck is still not very good, ass still hurts a little. Still hoping those two items do the trick. :whocares:

Apparently our neighbors have gravel bikes and have been riding a lot since the weather turned, might try to go with them one of these days after I sort out my shit. They're closer to my speed than DFD speed, apparently their "big rides" are ~25 miles at <15 mph. Gotta be able to keep my head up first :doe:
troyguitar

I'm already having second thoughts on the flat bar since progress has been rapid with the shorter rides. It kinda seems like a redundant pair of brake levers on top of my drop bars might be fine... maybe with a wider drop bar to have the tops be a little less twitchy? That's how my Schwinn was set up stock, 2 sets of brake levers.
troyguitar

This thing isn't very plush. :notsure:

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:23 pm This thing isn't very plush. :notsure:

I have no experience with ergon as a brand. Hope it works decently well for you dude.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Tapered for easy insertion.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:30 pm Tapered for easy insertion.
Fart relief hole too
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 am I'm already having second thoughts on the flat bar since progress has been rapid with the shorter rides. It kinda seems like a redundant pair of brake levers on top of my drop bars might be fine... maybe with a wider drop bar to have the tops be a little less twitchy? That's how my Schwinn was set up stock, 2 sets of brake levers.
Would make more sense than a second handlebar. Also, perhaps an even higher-rise stem might not be a bad idea to help with the neck issue?
The second bar was just a temporary idea to test without buying and installing new shifters+levers, I wouldn't actually ride it outside that way.

I guess that stuff is already ordered :doe: so maybe I'll try it anyway. Doubt it can be returned. :whocares:

Here's where my bars are now.

troyguitar

Looks like there's an even easier option than running a second pair of brake cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015HH6 ... es_section

Seems simple and effective.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:52 am Looks like there's an even easier option than running a second pair of brake cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015HH6 ... es_section

Seems simple and effective.
Cross levers work. Won’t quite be the same as a flat bar setup since you need to reach for the shifter. But IIRC the brakes weren’t the problem?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 am
[user not found] wrote:
Would make more sense than a second handlebar. Also, perhaps an even higher-rise stem might not be a bad idea to help with the neck issue?
The second bar was just a temporary idea to test without buying and installing new shifters+levers, I wouldn't actually ride it outside that way.

I guess that stuff is already ordered :doe: so maybe I'll try it anyway. Doubt it can be returned. :whocares:

Here's where my bars are now.

You should be able to return it if it’s not quite what you want.

Another bar type you could look into is a swept back commuter style handlebar. Some have a rise to them, and they put your hands farther back so you sit a bit more upright. A handful of riding buddies have these type bars on their commuters and seem to like them. Won’t be as “fast” as drop bars because you can’t get into an aero position but maybe that doesn’t matter?
troyguitar

What remains to be seen is how much I'll ever be able to be bent over. Given how much more efficient it is, I'll definitely keep trying to get there. Working harder than others for the same result doesn't sound fun. Dunno what the best thing is to do in the meantime.

I like the idea of both XC and gravel bikes. Getting away from traffic but not really off the beaten path so to speak. Can't really properly ride either yet.
troyguitar

Legs were sore waking up this morning so I didn't push very hard today. The good news is I basically did the same power as last week but at ~145 bpm instead of 160, so something has certainly improved.

Jury's still out on the new seat. It's at least not worse than the WTB one. Maybe a little better?

Doing neck stretches off and on all day long plus limiting bike time does seem to be helping. Pain levels are staying fairly low and I can occasionally actually relax on the bike. I don't think I'm going to fuck with the handlebars for now. Getting the seat sorted and then just getting seat time seems good enough for awhile. :csb: :whocares:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am What remains to be seen is how much I'll ever be able to be bent over. Given how much more efficient it is, I'll definitely keep trying to get there. Working harder than others for the same result doesn't sound fun. Dunno what the best thing is to do in the meantime.

I like the idea of both XC and gravel bikes. Getting away from traffic but not really off the beaten path so to speak. Can't really properly ride either yet.
Go find some PT while your wife still has insurance?
Her sister in Boston is a PT. I'm just waiting for the whole CRAIDS thing to blow over. For now things are slowly improving anyway :doe: so :thisisfine:
Johnny_P

Nice Troy!
Johnny_P

44 miles today. Crazy amount of trees down.

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 pm Her sister in Boston is a PT. I'm just waiting for the whole CRAIDS thing to blow over. For now things are slowly improving anyway :doe: so :thisisfine:
What exactly happened with the neck, anyway?
I had an unexpected head-first collision behind the net during a hockey game ~3 years ago. I was looking up at the blue line and didn't notice someone coming straight at me. :derp:

It didn't seem that bad at the time. I finished the game and season fine but I have gotten random sharp pain in that same part of my neck occasionally ever since. It's worse whenever I do anything strenous. Most days I don't feel it at all :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 pmI had an unexpected head-first collision behind the net during a hockey game ~3 years ago. I was looking up at the blue line and didn't notice someone coming straight at me. :derp:

It didn't seem that bad at the time. I finished the game and season fine but I have gotten random sharp pain in that same part of my neck occasionally ever since. It's worse whenever I do anything strenous. Most days I don't feel it at all :doe:
Maybe there’s an upside to being a goaltender after all? Still waiting for the cumulative effects to surface from taking so many pucks to the dome, doe. Maybe they have and I’m the only one yet to notice. :derp: Pucks to the :balls: didn’t seem to have detrimental effects, those still work just fine. Too well. :baby: :baby:

Glad to hear you’re starting to enjoy the bike, Troy.

My in-laws left today and I’m looking out at the calendar and not seeing a single day the rest of the summer when I think I’ll be free to get the bike out and hit the trails again. So fucking depressing. :eeyore: On one hand I’m borderline obsessed with MTBing again after getting out a few days ago, then on the other I’m likely to go get a bike box and ship the Trance to TPC tomorrow so I don’t have to look at it anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:56 pm Anyone want to talk about MTB geometry for a minute? :math:

Reach:

Top Tube:

Man, I have never measured any of that stuff. I think it's pretty interesting, I'm not sure if I actually "fit" either of my bikes at all. If I ever move to the next level of :troywax: I think I'll look to get some kind of professional fitment done for a road bike.